Agree Agree:  201
Likes Likes:  360
Page 321 of 326 FirstFirst ... 71221271296311317318319320321322323324325 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 4879
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

... and Murray squeezed one in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    ... and Murray squeezed one in between.
    And has been paying for it ever since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Open Era Rankings
    @OpenEraRankings
    ��
    Berrettini
    ����
    looks likely to become the first non-commitment player since Cilic (2014) to finish the year in Top 10. There are some scenarios that can prevent this from happening, so Paris decides.
    A commitment player is someone who ended the previous year in the top 30. I had no idea it was so rare for someone to make that big of a jump.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

What’s a non-commitment player?

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Nick Kyrgios. Non-committed to squat.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Any ATP player who finished in the top 30 in the previous year has certain tournament commitments, for example playing a certain # of ATP 500 events. That's why you see players gain entry to those events based on last year's ranking when their current ranking wouldn't get them in.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Nick Kyrgios. Non-committed to squat.
    Actually I think he is fully committed to squat. But point taken.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I just glanced at the WTA doubles rankings. The year end #1 will either be Strycova, Sabalenka, or Mladenovic.

I thought it was interesting that, no matter what, the #1 doubles player will be a somewhat psychotic singles player.

November 3, 2019
    ASHLEIGH BARTY AND BARBORA STRYCOVA SECURE WTA YEAR-END WORLD NO.1 RANKINGS PRESENTED BY DUBAI DUTY FREE

Barty secures the year-end singles No.1 position for the first time in her career
    Strycova helped kickstart her doubles year-end No.1 campaign by lifting the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships title with Hsieh Su-Wei

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA - The WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) announced today that Ashleigh Barty and Barbora Strycova have earned the 2019 WTA Year-End World No.1 Singles and Doubles Rankings presented by Dubai Duty Free.

Australia’s Barty has clinched the year-end WTA singles No.1 ranking for the first time in her career, becoming the 14th WTA player since the inception of computer rankings in 1975 to achieve the accolade.

Strycova has earned this season’s year-end No.1 doubles ranking also for the first time, and 2019 marks the second year in a row a player from the Czech Republic has achieved the honor, after Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova ended 2018 as the co-ranked No.1 team.

“On behalf of Dubai Duty Free, I’d like to offer our congratulations to Ashleigh Barty and Barbora Strycova on achieving the WTA Year-End World No.1 singles and doubles rankings for the first time in their careers,” said Colm McLoughlin, Executive Vice Chairman & CEO, Dubai Duty Free. “Ashleigh and Barbora have written their names into the history books in 2019 following their debut Grand Slam titles at Roland Garros and Wimbledon respectively, which was just one of many amazing achievements this season, and I look forward to welcoming them to the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships next year in February.”

Barty became the 27th player to reach the WTA World No.1 ranking on June 25, 2019, and including her triumphant week at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, has amassed 15 weeks in the top spot. Her ascent to the World No.1 ranking over the summer also marked the first time an Australian woman had held the position since Evonne Goolagong Cawley reached this historic milestone on April 26, 1976.

From left to right: Salah Tahlak, Executive Vice President-Corporate Services of Dubai Duty Free,
    WTA Year-End Singles No.1 Ashleigh Barty, and Ramesh Cidambi, Chief Operating Officer of Dubai Duty Free.
    Photos provided by Getty Images

“To be able to call myself the Year-End World No.1 singles player is one of the proudest moments of my career,” said Barty. “This achievement is truly a team effort, and I would not be receiving this honor or had the best season of my life without the people around me who have supported me on this incredible journey.”

Barty has enjoyed a standout season on the WTA Tour, which saw her lift her career-first WTA Premier Mandatory title at the Miami Open presented by Itaú, her maiden Grand Slam title at Roland Garros, and subsequently became the first player to qualify for the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, where she lifted the trophy after defeating reigning champion Elina Svitolina in the final.

Strycova meanwhile also lifted her maiden Grand Slam title this year, partnering with Hsieh Su-Wei to triumph at Wimbledon. The team also lifted the trophy at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Mutua Madrid Open and the Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham), and closed out their season with a runner-up finish at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen. She ascended to the World No.1 doubles ranking on Monday July 15, 2019, becoming the seventh woman representing the Czech Republic to achieve the No.1 doubles ranking, and is the 43rd woman overall to reach the top spot in doubles.

From left to right: Ramesh Cidambi, Chief Operating Officer of Dubai Duty Free, WTA Year-End Doubles No.1 Barbora Strycova, and Salah Tahlak, Executive Vice President-Corporate Services of Dubai Duty Free.
    Photos provided by Getty Images

“This is an incredible moment in my career, and I’d like to thank Hsieh Su-Wei who has been my partner for much of this season and helped me reach this goal,” said Strycova. “It’s been a fantastic year for me and to finish the year as the top doubles player is an amazing feeling.”

“Ashleigh and Barbora have both enjoyed incredible seasons and we are delighted to see them receive their WTA Year-End World No.1 trophies,” said Micky Lawler, WTA President. “I would also like to offer my ongoing thanks to Dubai Duty Free for their association with the WTA Year-End No.1 awards as well as their continued support for women’s tennis.”

Both Barty and Strycova were presented with their respective WTA Year-End World No.1 trophies at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen by Ramesh Cidambi, Chief Operating Officer of Dubai Duty Free and Salah Tahlak, Executive Vice President-Corporate Services of Dubai Duty Free.

Click here to read more on Barty and Strycova’s year-end ranking success and view the history of the WTA Year-End World No.1 Ranking presented by Dubai Duty Free.

Founded by Billie Jean King in 1973 on the principle of equal opportunity for women in sports, the WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 1,800 players representing 85 nations competing for a record $179 million in prize money. In 2018, the WTA was watched by a record breaking global audience of 600 million. The 2019 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 29 countries, culminating with the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, offering an unprecedented $14 million total prize purse and honoring the season’s top singles and doubles players. Further information on the WTA can be found at www.wtatennis.com.

Year-End
    @WTA
    Top 10

1. Ashleigh Barty ����
    2. Karolina Pliskova ����
    3. Naomi Osaka ����
    4. Simona Halep ����
    5. Bianca Andreescu ����
    6. Elina Svitolina ����
    7. Petra Kvitova ����
    8. Belinda Bencic ����
    9. Kiki Bertens ����
    10. Serena Williams
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

4 November 2019
    NADAL RETURNS TO NO. 1 IN ATP RANKINGS

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FLORIDA — Spain’s Rafael Nadal today returned to the top of the ATP Rankings for an eighth stint at the pinnacle of men’s professional tennis, exactly 12 months to the day since he completed his 196th and most recent week at No. 1 on 4 November 2018.

As the second-oldest No. 1 in ATP Rankings history (since 1973), after Switzerland’s Roger Federer (aged 36 in 2018), 33-year-old Nadal will now look to stay ahead of Serbia’s Novak Djokovic and finish atop the year-end rankings for the fifth time in his career (2008, 2010, 2013, 2017). Should Nadal clinch year-end No. 1 at the Nitto ATP Finals, he would be the oldest player to do so in history.

“I'm super happy with my season,” said Nadal. “It was a tough beginning but then I was able to find a way to be back playing at a very high level of tennis and be in the situation that I am today. I'm very proud about the year that I am having.”

The Mallorcan first ascended to No. 1 on 18 August 2008 at the age of 22, spending 46 weeks in the top spot until 5 July 2009. He returned to the top spot on six further occasions between 7 June 2010 and 3 July 2011 (56 weeks), from 7 October 2013 to 6 July 2014 (39 weeks), from 21 August 2017 to 18 February 2018 (26 weeks), from 2 April to 13 May 2018 (six weeks), from 21 May to 17 June 2018 (four weeks) and from 25 June to 4 November 2018 (19 weeks).

Nadal, whose eight stints at No. 1 equal the mark of Ivan Lendl, trails Americans John McEnroe (14), Pete Sampras (11), Jimmy Connors (9) for most periods at No. 1. The Spaniard has now been in the top spot at some stage in nine of the past 12 years (2008-11, 2013-14, 2017-19).

Chris Kermode, ATP Executive Chairman and President, said, “Rafa has made a habit of setting the highest of standards throughout his career and his return to No. 1 is just the latest example. It’s an incredible achievement and he continues to amaze with his longevity at the top of the game – many congratulations to him and his team.”

The Spanish superstar, who ended the 2018 season early due to injury, has returned in 2019 playing some of the best tennis of his career. In compiling a 51-6 match record, Nadal has captured four trophies this season, including a historic 12th title at Roland Garros (d. Thiem) in June and a fourth at the US Open (d. Medvedev) in September. He won a ninth Internazionali BNL d’Italia crown (d. Djokovic) in Rome in May and a record-extending 35th ATP Masters 1000 trophy in August at the Coupe Rogers in Montreal. He also reached the Australian Open final (l. to Djokovic) in January and has now contested three Grand Slam championship finals in a calendar year on four occasions (also 2010-11, 2017).

On 11 July, Nadal became the first player to qualify for the 2019 season-ending Nitto ATP Finals. It is the 15th straight year that he has qualified for the elite eight-player tournament.

MOST WEEKS AT NO. 1 IN ATP RANKINGS (since 1973)

A list of the total number of weeks each player has spent at No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973):

Player Total Weeks At No. 1
    Roger Federer (SUI) 310
    Pete Sampras (USA) 286
    Novak Djokovic (SRB) 275
    Ivan Lendl (CZE/USA) 270
    Jimmy Connors (USA) 268
    Rafael Nadal (ESP) 197 (as of 4 November 2019)
    John McEnroe (USA) 170
    Bjorn Borg (SWE) 109
    Andre Agassi (USA) 101
    Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 80
    Stefan Edberg (SWE) 72
    Jim Courier (USA) 58
    Gustavo Kuerten (BRA) 43
    Andy Murray (GBR) 41
    Ilie Nastase (ROU) 40
    Mats Wilander (SWE) 20
    Andy Roddick (USA) 13
    Boris Becker (GER) 12
    Marat Safin (RUS) 9
    Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) 8
    John Newcombe (AUS) 8
    Yevgeny Kafelnikov (RUS) 6
    Thomas Muster (AUT) 6
    Marcelo Rios (CHI) 6
    Carlos Moya (ESP) 2
    Patrick Rafter (AUS) 1

# # #

Novak will pass Pete and later Roger. I don't see Rafa catching up with Connors.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Novak will pass Pete and later Roger. I don't see Rafa catching up with Connors.
    Barring injury, I agree
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

This stint could be just 2 weeks, but for sure it's not.
    Roger forever

November 5, 2019
    WTA RELEASES 2019 YEAR-END RANKINGS

The WTA (Women's Tennis Association) has released the 2019 Year-End Rankings, highlighted by World No.1 singles player Ashleigh Barty and doubles No.1 Barbora Strycova. The 2019 WTA season saw the best of women's tennis compete at 56 events and four Grand Slams in 29 countries and regions for a record $179 million in prize money.

Barty sits atop the 2019 WTA Year-End Rankings for the first time in her career following a standout season, capturing her first Premier Mandatory crown at the Miami Open presented by Itaú and her maiden Grand Slam trophy at Roland Garros. She clinched two more titles this season, at the Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham) and most recently at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen to end the season with a Tour-leading 56 match wins.

Czech Republic's Strycova ends the season as the World No.1 in doubles for her first time after claiming four WTA doubles titles this year, including her career first Grand Slam at Wimbledon in addition to the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Mutua Madrid Open and Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham) with her partner Hsieh Su-Wei. To finish the season, the pair reached the championship match at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen.

In addition to Barty and Strycova's success this season, other notable movements took place in the latest rankings update. Click here for highlights of the biggest movers within the year-end rankings and here for the official 2019 WTA Year-End Rankings.

In the latest episode of the WTA Insider Podcast, hear from World No.1 Barty as she discusses her secrets to success and looks ahead to the 2020 WTA season.

Founded by Billie Jean King in 1973 on the principle of equal opportunity for women in sports, the WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 1,800 players representing 85 nations competing for a record $179 million in prize money. In 2018, the WTA was watched by a record breaking global audience of 600 million. The 2019 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 29 countries, culminating with the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, offering an unprecedented $14 million total prize purse and honoring the season’s top singles and doubles players. Further information on the WTA can be found at www.wtatennis.com.

Page 321 of 326 FirstFirst ... 71221271296311317318319320321322323324325 ... LastLast