Agree Agree:  220
Likes Likes:  383
Page 334 of 334 FirstFirst ... 84234284309324330331332333334
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 5010

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    The ATP was criticized for not having a tournament the first week of August and then Washington was canceled at the last minute.

It is louder for the WTA because of lack of playing opportunities after French Open ( 8 ATP , 2 WTA). The Cologne tournament director said she wanted to have WTA tournament but the WTA ignored her so she went with 2 ATP tournaments. https://www.archysport.com/2020/10/t...cologne-2/amp/
    It's a joke to suggest ATP was criticized comparably to what the WTA is facing now. It was not remotely loud or widespread. And that doesn't at all answer why post-Paris is the barometer instead of the restart as a whole.

As to the claim about the tournament director, I'd love to see a reputable source report that because I haven't seen one yet. And since we're going with shaky sources, I present you this counterpoint on what happened in Cologne, which is referencing a German tennis podcast that interviewed the tournament director.

Nawal
    @NawalNadal

A bit of tea: the tournament director interviewed on this podcast is saying that the wta wasn’t too slow to react about hosting a wta event in Köln. It was a license issue. Rittner would have had to reach out to the Wta köln event, but she didn’t.

https://twitter.com/NawalNadal/statu...80343695253504

Well if Rittner had to reach out to the Köln event and didn't then the TD in Köln was right to say she was ignored no?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Well if Rittner had to reach out to the Köln event and didn't then the TD in Köln was right to say she was ignored no?
    Not to me. To me it sounds like a supremely stupid way to find yourself in breach of contract.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Barbara Rittner was the person who said she was ignored. She was the ATP Cologne TD. The TD interviewed in the podcast above was the director of the annual WTA Cologne tournament, Oliver Meeller.

So Rittner was the Köln TD. She is saying that she was ignored when she reached out to the WTA's TD Oliver Meeller. Is that right? And what did Meeller say?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So Rittner was the Köln TD. She is saying that she was ignored when she reached out to the WTA's TD Oliver Meeller. Is that right? And what did Meeller say?
    My perception is that she reached out to the WTA HQ and was ignored and no one reached out to Mueller. (His name is Mueller. Meeller was a typo)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    My perception is that she reached out to the WTA HQ and was ignored and no one reached out to Mueller. (His name is Mueller. Meeller was a typo)

Thanks.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    It's a joke to suggest ATP was criticized comparably to what the WTA is facing now. It was not remotely loud or widespread. And that doesn't at all answer why post-Paris is the barometer instead of the restart as a whole.

As to the claim about the tournament director, I'd love to see a reputable source report that because I haven't seen one yet. And since we're going with shaky sources, I present you this counterpoint on what happened in Cologne, which is referencing a German tennis podcast that interviewed the tournament director.
    I already replied why it is louder with the WTA. Post Paris is not the barometer, WTA had 3 small international tournament while the ATP Washington was canceled last minute

As for cologne, she made the statement on live tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 November 2020

PAVIC & SOARES CLINCH YEAR-END NO. 1 ATP DOUBLES TEAM RANKING

LONDON: Mate Pavic and Bruno Soares have clinched the year-end No. 1 FedEx ATP Doubles Team Ranking after a strong finish to the 2020 season. Two years ago, Pavic finished in top spot with Oliver Marach, while Soares partnered Jamie Murray in 2016 to become the year-end No. 1 team.

The Croatian-Brazilian team, which completed Group Bob Bryan this week with a 2-1 record at The O2 in London, were assured of year-end No. 1 when Jurgen Melzer and Edouard Roger-Vasselin defeated Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury on Saturday in the semi-finals of the Nitto ATP Finals. Pavic and Soares had come into the season finale just 35 points ahead of second-placed Ram and Salisbury in the FedEx ATP Doubles Team Rankings.

"It's a very special moment for us, finishing year-end No. 1,” said Soares. “I think it's a massive achievement and it shows how well we played throughout the year. How consistent we were, winning big tournaments. So it's a special thanks to Mate and our team. It's very nice to start our first day of vacation celebrating a huge achievement like this. Right now, it's time to rest, celebrate and enjoy all the beautiful moments we had on court, because we all know it's been a very tough year for everyone.”

Pavic said: "I am very happy for Bruno and myself to end the year No. 1. It was a great partnership, and a good achievement to end the partnership." Pavic will play with Nikola Mektic in 2021, while Soares will reunite with Murray.

Pavic and Soares, who compiled a 4-5 match record this season prior to the five-month ATP Tour suspension, returned strongly to capture their first Grand Slam championship team trophy in September at the US Open (d. Koolhof/Mektic). They went on to reach two finals in Paris — at Roland Garros (l. to Krawietz/Mies) in October and the Rolex Paris Masters (l. to Auger-Aliassime/Hurkacz) two weeks ago.

ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said: “The battle for the year-end No. 1 doubles team ranking has been closer than ever this year, with all eight teams entering the season finale with a chance to claim top spot. Our congratulations to Mate and Bruno - finishing the year as No. 1 is the ultimate achievement in our sport. They should be very proud of their season and they fully deserve this accolade.”

Melzer and Roger-Vasselin will face Wesley Koolhof and Mektic in the title match of the Nitto ATP Finals on Sunday.

# # #

About The ATP

The ATP is the governing body of the men's professional tennis circuits — the ATP Tour, the ATP Challenger Tour and the ATP Champions Tour. With 64 tournaments in 30 countries, the ATP Tour showcases the finest male athletes competing in the world’s most exciting venues. From Australia to Europe and the Americas to Asia, the stars of the 2020 ATP Tour will battle for prestigious titles and FedEx ATP Rankings points at ATP Masters 1000, 500 and 250 events, as well as Grand Slams (non-ATP events). The 2020 season launched in January with the inaugural ATP Cup in Australia and will culminate with only the world’s top 8 qualified singles players and doubles teams competing for the last title of the season at the Nitto ATP Finals in November. Held at The O2 in London, the event will officially crown the 2020 ATP World No. 1. For more information, please visit www.ATPTour.com.

Tennis statistician
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Another year passed by and another update on the Open Era men's weighted ranking is issued. The update is at the tail of comments section here: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...ighted-ranking
    Last edited by mick1303; 11-27-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mick1303 View Post
    Another year passed by and another update on the Open Era men's weighted ranking is issued. The update is at the tail of comments section here: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...anking?bt=2621
    That link doesn't work.

Tennis statistician
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

fixed

Labor of love, Mick. Very interesting.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Thanks for all the work Mick! It's things like this that make TAT special.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mick1303 View Post
    Another year passed by and another update on the Open Era men's weighted ranking is issued. The update is at the tail of comments section here: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...ighted-ranking
    Thanks, Mick! Novak and Rafa are really edging up there!

Page 334 of 334 FirstFirst ... 84234284309324330331332333334