Agree Agree:  155
Likes Likes:  238
Page 306 of 306 FirstFirst ... 56206256281296302303304305306
Results 4,576 to 4,589 of 4589

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

I give about 80% chance that any breakthrough this year or the next comes from one of these young players.
    Roger forever

I'm looking for Maria Camila Osorio Serrano to be in the conversation big time in a couple of years. She lost to Arconada at an ITF in Mexico recently.

Kostyuk is playing in Madrid Sunday vs KrisPlis.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm looking for Maria Camila Osorio Serrano to be in the conversation big time in a couple of years. She lost to Arconada at an ITF in Mexico recently.

Kostyuk is playing in Madrid Sunday vs KrisPlis.
    It would be nice to have someone notable from South American again (WTA). It has been a long time.

Kaja Juvan and Whitney Osuigwe are playing each other in SF's of Charleston 100k event today.
    Roger forever

Some fun facts from today's ATP and WTA rankings:

There are currently 4 active #1 players and 31 active top 10 players on ATP tour (everyone with a ranking). On WTA tour it's 10 #1's and 37 top 10's.

There is currently no one on ATP tour with career high ranking of #2, on WTA tour there are 3 #2's (Kvitova, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva)

The following players have a career high ranking of #11 - Sevastova, Cornet, Khachanov, Schwartzman and Querrey.

The oldest 5 players on ATP tour (top 300): #97 Ivo Karlovic (40), #278 Stephane Robert (38), #291 Jurgen Melzer (37), #3 Roger Federer (37), #102 Feliciano Lopez (37)
    The oldest 5 players on WTA tour (top 300): #50 Venus Williams (38), #11 Serena Williams (37), #83 Samantha Stosur (35), #82 Vera Zvonareva (34), #76 Kaia Kanepi (33)

The youngest 5 players on ATP tour (top 300): #262 Jannick Sinner (17), #156 Rudolf Moelleker (18), #30 Felix Auger-Aliassime (18), #260 Nicola Kuhn (19), #83 Miomir Kecmanovic (19)
    The youngest 5 players on WTA tour (top 300): #232 Dasha Lopatetskaya (16), #292 Marta Kostyuk (16), #124 Whitney Osuigwe (17), #200 Catherine McNally (17), #53 Amanda Anisimova (17)
    Roger forever

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Melzer still ranked? I remember hearing he played a tournament or two, so guess shouldn't be surprised.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

WTA Insider
    ‏Verified account
    @WTA_insider

With today’s results, Naomi Osaka has secured the No.1 ranking this week and the top seed at the French Open.

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

The fight for a favorable seeding at RG is still going on. At ATP almost everything important is clear except the #8 seed (del Potro or Fognini). For women it's a lot more complicated - there are still five candidates for the important 2-4 range (Halep, Bertens, Kerber, Kvitova and Pliskova) and none guaranteed. Kasatkina could still grab a top 16 spot and several are vying for the last 1-2 seeded positions.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    The fight for a favorable seeding at RG is still going on. At ATP almost everything important is clear except the #8 seed (del Potro or Fognini). For women it's a lot more complicated - there are still five candidates for the important 2-4 range (Halep, Bertens, Kerber, Kvitova and Pliskova) and none guaranteed. Kasatkina could still grab a top 16 spot and several are vying for the last 1-2 seeded positions.
    The last week before seeds are locked is my favorite 4 weeks of the tennis year. I especially like it because they can be incredibly significant, but the players, almost universally, have absolutely no idea.

Looking at the WTA, there are 3 players in the top 8 still playing. Sloane and Barty are locked at #7 and #8, respectively. Osaka is locked at #1. Kvitova will be #5 or #6.

Halep is currently #2. She can be bumped with a Bertens RU or Pliskova win.

Bertens is #3, shooting for #2 (whodathunk!?).

Kerber is #4. She can be bumped with a Pliskova RU.

Pliskova is #6. She needs a RU to bump Kerber for a top 4 spot, and a win to bump Halep for a top 2 spot.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    The last week before seeds are locked is my favorite 4 weeks of the tennis year. I especially like it because they can be incredibly significant, but the players, almost universally, have absolutely no idea.
    That might be true today, but I would be shocked if that was true when Serena was #1 or #2. I think players would have been acutely aware if a certain result would ensure they could go an extra round at the next major without possibly facing her.

Based on results of many recent slams - the Australian Open has been the exception - shouldn't the WTA players be working hard to avoid a top 10 seed.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Glad to hear someone is as nerdy as me about sport stats I compare this to other sports - my favorite part of golf is calculating the Fed Ex Points (who's in and out of next tournament, especially when every biride/bogey changes the rankings each hole.) And the NFL, my favourite week is week 17 when I go and work out every possible playoff scenario.

I would've thought the last week of qualifying for YECs may have been higher than these 4 of your list though? I'd probably put them at my top.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Upthread we were talking about how the changes in the rankings' system are going to affect players coming out of college, or even affect their willingness to go that route. Relative to that, I have been watching the NCAA's on Tennis Channel. It is amazing what a high percentage of those playing seem to have plans for pro tennis (according to the announcers and what they say during each match). I do hope most of them have some plan B to fall back on just in case. There is no way that a high percentage of them will be able to make a living on the pro circuit. Yes, a few will, but that is all.

It is important to remember in any pro sport that achievement of success is quite pyramidal, and that very few get to the top level, and in fact a low percentage even get to a level of financial security within the sport.

Having spent so much time in figure skating, where the pyramid has a more pointed top and the rewards for the top are nowhere near what they are in tennis now, I have seen a lot of dreams dashed and a lot of people spend a lot of money they couldn't afford in the quest of those dreams for themselves (or for their children).

I hope someone is instilling some sense of reality in these college players. I suspect most of them are mature enough to think through this, but I don't know if it is emphasized enough. No one wants to be overly negative with them at that point, but still.....a dose of reality might be needed.

GH
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 05-18-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo

Doses of reality are not something that young people today take with relish. Remember that they have been raised being told they are the greatest and "you can be anything you want to be".
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Doses of reality are not something that young people today take with relish. Remember that they have been raised being told they are the greatest and "you can be anything you want to be".
    old.jpg

Page 306 of 306 FirstFirst ... 56206256281296302303304305306