Agree Agree:  126
Likes Likes:  192
Page 4 of 300 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

Quote Originally Posted by Madame View Post
    well there's bad and bad ...
    Bad for Amelie is losing in the third round of top tier tourneys... instead of making semis or more. But a third round in a big tourney is great for a top 30 girl ...
    Not so great for Nicole either... She has been in top 10 already and has reached two GS semi finals...

Oh man, you guys are killing me... a whole thread about the rankings when my internet connection is crapping out and probably won't be fixed until the end of the week.

I probably only have about 2 minutes before I get disconnected again, but to respond to the question about the #1 rank in the ATP:

Federer = 6600
    Nadal = 5930
    Djokovic = 4785

Safe point prior to French
    Federer = 5675
    Nadal = 4280
    Djokovic = 4260

Safe points after French
    Federer = 4975
    Nadal = 3280
    Djokovic = 3810

Comments/Predictions
    * Mathematically, anything is possible at this point (even Davydenko becoming #1) because there are so many points to earn on clay: a Slam, three MS events and three weeks of regular events.

* My guess is Federer can do well enough to hold on to #1. But the margin for error is shrinking. (Is he still planning to play Estoril?) He can't really lose before the QFs - or maybe SFs - if Nadal and Djokovic are making and winning finals, or else he will lose the #1 rank.

* At first glance it looks like Nadal won't get to #1, and in fact could drop to #3. He has a ton of points to defend. But I feel like he'll defend most - if not all - of them. People didn't expect him to win as much last year as he did in 2006, but he still delivered; I sense this year will be more of the same.

* I know Djokovic has had decent clay results in the past, but even now - when he's been playing better than anyone - he still has a couple of stinker matches thrown in (Anderson, Simon). That may be just enough to keep Nadal and Federer in front of him through clay court season. If he plays more consistently, he can make his move.

* Down below, Murray and Nalbandian defend next to nothing during the clay season, and seem the most likely to make a big move. Tsonga only defending about 100 points, but doesn't look to be at his best on clay.
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

What do we do when we have limited internet time? Write a thesis about theoretical chances of changes in the rankings. I love you, Jill... I mean, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I love you, Jill... I mean, Jack
    Jack and Jill!

So much more poetic than Jack and Milagros.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    * Mathematically, anything is possible at this point (even Davydenko becoming #1) because there are so many points to earn on clay: a Slam, three MS events and three weeks of regular events.
    Even!? More like definitely!!!!

Congrats to Nikolay Davydenko: 2008 Rome, Monte Carlo, Hamburg, and Roland Garros Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    Jack and Jill!

... and Milagros came tumbling after...

Couple of notes on the women's ranking during clay court season:

* I don't think Henin is in any danger of losing #1. She's too far ahead, and actually not defending much (470 points) until the French.

* The guess here is that Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, and Sharapova battle for #2-4. Sharapova should close the gap since she's not defending much. If she plays well on clay (no guarantee, that) she should finish #2 after the French. But if she doesn't play a few warm-ups, Ana or Svetlana will be #2.

* Jankovic defending A TON of points, but she's got enough space to probably stay top 5 going into the French. May not be there after the French though.

* Venus defends most of her points this week (Charleston). Chakvetadze and Serena aren't defending much - but then Chakvetadze is not playing well at the moment, and Serena... who knows when she'll play. These three plus Dementieva probably stay in the #6-9 slots until the French. But there's a good chance that one or two of them could pass Jankovic after the French.

* Hantuchova or Bartoli will round out the top 10. Neither one looks terribly impressive right now, in fact Bartoli's record is 5-7 on the year. But Bartoli seems to play better on the natural surfaces, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her pass Hantuchova and get back to the top ten, although it's likely short-lived unless Pierce Brosnan returns to Wimbledon.

Jack and Jill!

Jack and Camille? Mais oui!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Oh man, you guys are killing me... a whole thread about the rankings when my internet connection is crapping out and probably won't be fixed until the end of the week.

I probably only have about 2 minutes before I get disconnected again, but to respond to the question about the #1 rank in the ATP:

Federer = 6600
    Nadal = 5930
    Djokovic = 4785

Safe point prior to French
    Federer = 5675
    Nadal = 4280
    Djokovic = 4260

Safe points after French
    Federer = 4975
    Nadal = 3280
    Djokovic = 3810

Comments/Predictions

* My guess is Federer can do well enough to hold on to #1. But the margin for error is shrinking. (Is he still planning to play Estoril?) He can't really lose before the QFs - or maybe SFs - if Nadal and Djokovic are making and winning finals, or else he will lose the #1 rank.

* At first glance it looks like Nadal won't get to #1, and in fact could drop to #3. He has a ton of points to defend. But I feel like he'll defend most - if not all - of them. People didn't expect him to win as much last year as he did in 2006, but he still delivered; I sense this year will be more of the same.

* I know Djokovic has had decent clay results in the past, but even now - when he's been playing better than anyone - he still has a couple of stinker matches thrown in (Anderson, Simon). That may be just enough to keep Nadal and Federer in front of him through clay court season. If he plays more consistently, he can make his move.

* Down below, Murray and Nalbandian defend next to nothing during the clay season, and seem the most likely to make a big move. Tsonga only defending about 100 points, but doesn't look to be at his best on clay.
    Thanks Sharko!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jack and Jill!

I saw that movie. But it wasn't about what I THOUGHT it was going to be about.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Well, now this is in my head and won't get out. Thanks a lot, Jack

TAT Tangent

So, umm.... Paulo is 12th in the word, huh..

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Well, now this is in my head and won't get out. Thanks a lot, Jack

TAT Tangent

So, umm.... Paulo is 12th in the word, huh..

aww, the video doesn't work for me

I'll try it again later tonight when I'm home, then.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See ... now the trivia I want to hear about is that Jack is a big fan of Australian D. Balestrat from back in the day, 'cuz then THIS video is appropriate:

Jack and ...

According to the WTA site, this is the ONLY player who would fit this bill, which surprises me.

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aedra1119 View Post
    That would be something if Janko was seeded at the French.

Del Potro is almost out of the top 100.
    Janko's worked hard to get there...it would be very cool to see that.

Not surprised about Del Potro. I've never seen the appeal of his game or why people keep talking him up.
    16 and counting...

JUPITER'S GHOST - catch up on all the episodes at http://www.youtube.com/user/jupitersghost

Tennis begins with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    Janko's worked hard to get there...it would be very cool to see that.

Not surprised about Del Potro. I've never seen the appeal of his game or why people keep talking him up.

Because he's so quick on his f...
    Because he's not prone to inj....
    Because he's got a great mental ga...
    Because he never gives u...
    Because of his great head of hai...

I guess I don't get it either.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Page 4 of 300 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast