Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Esther Vergeer interview

Thank you, Ms. Vergeer and Mr. Koffie. Another terrific interview.

Very nice of these players to take the time to answer our questions. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Has Esther played yet in Melbourne??

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow
    Has Esther played yet in Melbourne??

jj

The WC draw is not out yet and will be out on Tuesday (the 23rd). I would assume it means that WC plays starts Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8
    [quote author=jjnow link=1168791763/15#16 date=1169419386]Has Esther played yet in Melbourne??

jj

The WC draw is not out yet and will be out on Tuesday (the 23rd). I would assume it means that WC plays starts Wednesday.

[/quote]
    Thanks!

jj
    Blue Steel

I just read her article. What a great story. With everything she has won why aren't they paying her more money. Sure hope she can make it when she move out on her own. I was alway facisnated with Wheelchair tennis. It sure would be great if that part of the sports could get some tv play.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by special600
    I just read her article. What a great story. With everything she has won why aren't they paying her more money. Sure hope she can make it when she move out on her own. I was alway facisnated with Wheelchair tennis. It sure would be great if that part of the sports could get some tv play.
    Amen to THAT, special. I wonder if they televise any of her matches in Holland? I would hope they do. But we probably won't get to see any of it until the US comes up with someone who's competitive in that format.

And based on what Esther has been doing in recent years, no one from the US would have a prayer of beating her--unless maybe they put mini-rockets on the wheels.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by special600
    It would be great if it did, but the sad truth is that wheelchair tennis, for all the success the Dutch players have had, and Esther in particular, gets very, very little attention on television. I see it on the BBC occasionally, and they have a special section on their sports website devoted to "Disabilty Sport" but when I look at Dutch news websites, you have to know where to look for that category of news in most cases.

Also, as Dry points out, another issue is the appeal of the sport. As it stands, it's a niche market and it costs too much for the amount of viewers any channel would get to put it on the air. Squeeze it into major sports programs as an extra segment and yeah, a few more people might show interest. But with the Dutch players (on the women's side) pretty much cleaning up year after year, any major market outside of our borders is out of reach. No-one is as dominant as Esther on the men's side, so the opposite problem is in effect there, with no major stars in place to "sell" the product. Though I should point out that I say this without actually knowing how big a star the men's #1, Shingo Kunieda, is in his home country or elsewhere.

So, without it being on tv, I'm planning to go to a tournament in the Dutch city of Utrecht later this year
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oploskoffie
    [quote author=special600 link=1168791763/15#19 date=1171385636]I just read her article. What a great story. With everything she has won why aren't they paying her more money. Sure hope she can make it when she move out on her own. I was alway facisnated with Wheelchair tennis. It sure would be great if that part of the sports could get some tv play.
    It would be great if it did, but the sad truth is that wheelchair tennis, for all the success the Dutch players have had, and Esther in particular, gets very, very little attention on television. I see it on the BBC occasionally, and they have a special section on their sports website devoted to "Disabilty Sport" but when I look at Dutch news websites, you have to know where to look for that category of news in most cases.

Also, as Dry points out, another issue is the appeal of the sport. As it stands, it's a niche market and it costs too much for the amount of viewers any channel would get to put it on the air. Squeeze it into major sports programs as an extra segment and yeah, a few more people might show interest. But with the Dutch players (on the women's side) pretty much cleaning up year after year, any major market outside of our borders is out of reach. No-one is as dominant as Esther on the men's side, so the opposite problem is in effect there, with no major stars in place to "sell" the product. Though I should point out that I say this without actually knowing how big a star the men's #1, Shingo Kunieda, is in his home country or elsewhere.

So, without it being on tv, I'm planning to go to a tournament in the Dutch city of Utrecht later this year [/quote]

During Wimbledon the BBC always show a few matches. But that's the only time I"ve seen it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by morct
    During Wimbledon the BBC always show a few matches. But that's the only time I"ve seen it on TV.
    The BBC is pretty good with Paralympics coverage, isn't it? The Dutch actually had several hours on over the two weeks it took place. During work hours, though, live 'n all that. Very handy.
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12