• US Open Prize Money to Increase by Four Million Dollars

USTA Logo$38.3 Million US Open Purse Features Record $3 Million
    for Each Singles Champion

White Plains, N.Y., July 9, 2014 – The USTA today announced that the total purse for the 2014 US Open will increase by $4 million dollars bringing the total purse for the tournament to a record $38.3 million and an 11.7% increase over the 2013 US Open.

Both the men’s and women’s singles champions will earn $3 million, the largest payout in US Open history. Each round of the singles competition will see double digit percentage increases over last year’s record payouts. Total main draw prize money, which includes both the singles, doubles, and mixed doubles competitions, has increased by 12.5% over last year. Both the men’s and women’s doubles champions will earn $520,000, the highest in US Open history. The US Open qualifying tournament will now offer more than $1.5 million in prize money ($1,572,000) for the first time, and this represents an 11% increase over 2013.

In the last three years, US Open main draw prize money has increased by 64.6%.

Round-by-round individual prize money for the US Open is as follows:

Singles: Doubles (each team):
    Winner: $3,000,000 Winners: $520,000
    Runner-Up: 1,450,000 Runners-Up: 250,000
    Semifinalist: 730,000 Semifinalist: 124,450
    Quarterfinalist: 370,250 Quarterfinalist: 62,060
    Round of 16: 187,300 Round of 16: 32,165
    Round of 32: 105,090 Round of 32: 20,060
    Round of 64: 60,420 Round of 64: 13,375
    Round of 128: 35,750

“Last year to recognize the importance of the players and the key role they have in building our sport, the USTA shared our vision to reach $50 million in prize money at the US Open by 2017,” said Dave Haggerty, USTA Chairman of the Board and President. “This year’s prize money increase continues the commitment to make the US Open one of the most lucrative purses in all of sports.”

This year’s US Open is scheduled for August 25 through September 8, with the US Open Qualifying Tournament beginning on August 19.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tennis, Random Random - 2014 started by Kirkus View original post
    Comments 5407 Comments
      patrick -
      Will be interesting to see/hear if Stephens and Annacone has officially split? Remember, there was word that they did but Stephens denied it last I heard at that time.
      Ribbons -
      *shameless self-promotion flag...*

Why is the number $42,084 currently roosting in my brain? Because I wrote a piece for The Changeover on the earnings of (some of) Wimbledon's first-round losers...

http://www.changeovertennis.com/acco...s-prize-money/

(There's also a discreet mention of TAT in it, since the pre-Wimbledon discussion of Laura Robson on the dashboard gave me an angle for analyzing Petra Martic's own wrist injury ... (Sigh.))
      suliso -
      I'm always looking forward to party pictures from this particular tournament

How many player can you identify dressed in traditional Austrian dress?

Attachment 4998

Attachment 4999

I might also add that the girl in the bottom left corner (1st picture) has the best body type for this kind of dress
      Moose -
      I don't know about everyone in the photo, but CSN looks like a 12 year old boy in drag.

Petko looks fantastic.
      suliso -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
      I don't know about everyone in the photo, but CSN looks like a 12 year old boy in drag.
      Is there a dress which would make her look feminine?
      Moose -
      From Tennis Photo's tweet - pictures are starting to come from Novak and Jelena's wedding today:

Moose -
      Also from Novak's wedding, this photo from TennisWorldUSA.com - Tipsy is still on crutches, looks like we won't be seeing him back on court anytime soon:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Janko-...colo19056.html
      Ti-Amie -
      Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
      I'm always looking forward to party pictures from this particular tournament

How many player can you identify dressed in traditional Austrian dress?

Attachment 4998

Attachment 4999

I might also add that the girl in the bottom left corner (1st picture) has the best body type for this kind of dress
      The woman in the gold/mustard color outfit on the left looks absolutely livid that she had to put it on.
      Ti-Amie -
      Excerpts from Sloane's presser today.

Tennis View Magazine @TennisViewMag ·
      Sloane Stephens says she hasn't made any changes to her coaching team.

Tennis View Magazine ‏@TennisViewMag
      More from Sloane: “In Europe, no one cares about an American player. In the US...you want to do well. You don't want to let the fans down.”
      Ribbons -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
      The woman in the gold/mustard color outfit on the left looks absolutely livid that she had to put it on.
      Irina Falconi mentioned in her blog that it's hard to breathe in those things...
      http://www.wtatennis.com/blogs/artic...e-player-party

I'm still not sure which Pliskova she is. I did come across another photo of Sofia Shapatava while trying to find out.
      Ti-Amie -
      Viña del Mar is no more. It seems the tournament, with Octagon holding the rights, will move to Quito. Quito is 2800m (1.7m) above sea level.

Link is in Spanish.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/deporte..._medium=tweets
      suliso -
      That will be a new record for a tennis tournament (Bogota is ca 1,600 m) and make for some very fast clay courts. It will be interesting although why would there be more money in Ecuador than in Chile? The latter is significantly more wealthy.
      Drop-shot -
      If I read correctly, Turkey is also hosting a clay tournament in May next year. Which one got the axe for that?
      patrick -
      Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
      If I read correctly, Turkey is also hosting a clay tournament in May next year. Which one got the axe for that?
      No one. Remember, Belgrade decided to stop having a tournament a few years ago
      mmmm8 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
      *shameless self-promotion flag...*

Why is the number $42,084 currently roosting in my brain? Because I wrote a piece for The Changeover on the earnings of (some of) Wimbledon's first-round losers...

http://www.changeovertennis.com/acco...s-prize-money/

(There's also a discreet mention of TAT in it, since the pre-Wimbledon discussion of Laura Robson on the dashboard gave me an angle for analyzing Petra Martic's own wrist injury ... (Sigh.))

Nice!
      Moose -
      Petra's running up against it in her homeland. Yesterday, members of the nation's Social Democrat Party called for her citizenship to be revoked, since she claims Monaco as a residence for tax purposes (and does not pay Czech income taxes)

And now today....

Man arrested after alleged threats against Kvitova

PRAGUE – Czech police say they have arrested a man who allegedly made threats against Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova.

Police spokeswoman Gabriela Holcakova said Friday that a 23-year-old Czech made the threats against “a publicly known person” in a phone call to an unspecified other person on Thursday. Holcakova would not confirm Czech media reports that the targeted person was Kvitova.

Kvitova’s spokesman Karel Tejkal said nobody had threatened the tennis player directly, but added: “Police did a great job.”

Holcakova said the man, who was not identified, was arrested as police considered the threats serious.

The incident follows criticism of Kvitova, including from a member of parliament, for moving from the Czech Republic to Monaco to avoid higher taxation.

http://metronews.ca/sports/1093783/m...ainst-kvitova/
      Ti-Amie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
      Petra's running up against it in her homeland. Yesterday, members of the nation's Social Democrat Party called for her citizenship to be revoked, since she claims Monaco as a residence for tax purposes (and does not pay Czech income taxes)

And now today....

Man arrested after alleged threats against Kvitova

PRAGUE – Czech police say they have arrested a man who allegedly made threats against Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova.

Police spokeswoman Gabriela Holcakova said Friday that a 23-year-old Czech made the threats against “a publicly known person” in a phone call to an unspecified other person on Thursday. Holcakova would not confirm Czech media reports that the targeted person was Kvitova.

Kvitova’s spokesman Karel Tejkal said nobody had threatened the tennis player directly, but added: “Police did a great job.”

Holcakova said the man, who was not identified, was arrested as police considered the threats serious.

The incident follows criticism of Kvitova, including from a member of parliament, for moving from the Czech Republic to Monaco to avoid higher taxation.

http://metronews.ca/sports/1093783/m...ainst-kvitova/
      SMDH
      Moose -
      Viktor Troicki's suspension comes to an end this week. Story is he is seeking a WC into Gstaad for next week, then will play 4-5 weeks on a European challenger circuit (mostly in Italy) while the main tour is in the US playing on hardcourts in an attempt to build up some ranking points.
      Ti-Amie -
      Bernard Tomic Fired by IMG! Eugenie Bouchard Ready to Replace?

Tennis - IMG fires Bernard Tomic and eyes a deal with the Canadian rising star Eugenie Bouchard.
      Australian Tennis 14 Jul 2014 - 19:57 / by Ivan Pasquariello

IMG has revealed today that has decided to fire Bernard Tomic, despite a contract that was soon going to expire. Why did IMG take this decision? Apparently the American business has had enough of Bernard's behavior...

A tennis player who leaves, means a free spot for another tennis player to come in. Who is IMG aiming at? It's Canada's rising star Eugenie Bouchard (all news on Bouchard here)! "We would really like to have Eugenie with us" said Fernando Soler ahead of IMG, "we showed our interest in signing a contract with her. We will try our best. Bouchard has all elements needed in order to be successful. She is talented, she is beautiful, she has personality and she would be a perfect fit in the international market". The only possible obstacle for the deal to happen, is the French business Lagardere Unlimited, who currently has Bouchard under a contract that moves towards a renewal, considering how Eugenie is climbing the rankings, siting already among the top 10 of the WTA. Not that Genie is not used to be courted by major businesses around the World. The Canadian recently signed a three-year deal with nothing less than Coca-Cola (all details here).

Bad news are not over for Bernard Tomic however. The Australian will not enjoy a direct entry for the main draw of the 2014 US Open. His only chance is to request a Wild Card, which could be awarded. The Australian Open and US Open have a deal that 2 Wild Cards for the Open in Melbourne have to go to American players and vice versa when the US Open are played in New York in August. Bernard may have good chances to be selected for an invitation, but he will have to fight the competition of Thanasi Kokkinakis, Samuel Groth, James Duckworth and Luke Saville.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Bernar...colo19116.html
      Ti-Amie -
      WTA board considering allowing top players to play more smaller events
      MONDAY, JULY 14, 2014 /BY KAMAKSHI TANDON

Top 10 players could be allowed to play two International events in each half of the season instead of one, if a proposed rule change is approved by the WTA board.

Auckland tournament director Karl Budge, who is the Asia-Pacific representative on the board, told the Sunday News, a New Zealand newspaper, that he and Carlos Fleming, a player representative and Venus Williams' agent, are requesting an increase in the amount of International events Top 10 players can play. At the moment, players who finished the previous season in the Top 10 can play only one such event in each half of the season if they meet their required commitments to other tournaments. The board is looking at allowing two in each half of the season.

International events, which give $250,000 in prize money, are lower-level tournaments that usually give top players a fee for appearing at the event.

"It's something that's in the best interests of everyone," said Budge. "It gives the players the opportunity of playing more International tournaments over the first six months, which we all want and need."

The rule has led to occasions when players have not been able to enter tournaments because there were other top players in the field. Tournaments can take an extra Top 10 player, said Budge, but would pay a fine of up to $250,000.

The limitation means that International tournaments must entice Top 10 players to play their event instead of any other during that portion of the season.

"I'm not suggesting that we need to have more Top 10 players in our week, we're happy with our level, but we need the ability of getting a Top-10 player and making sure every year we can and we're not competing with a tournament like Monterrey three months after us," he said.

A change in the rule is said to be especially important for tournaments because of the scheduled addition of a grass-court International-level event in Nottingham, which would be attractive to top players as a warm-up to Wimbledon. A motion on the issue is being looked at by the board.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/...-events/52118/
  • Recent Forum Posts

ponchi101

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Like many of the retired players, she has grown even prettier after leaving the sport.

ponchi101 Today, 06:40 AM Go to last post
    suliso

Pironkova and Kasatkina on the beach

suliso Today, 02:46 AM Go to last post
    Ti-Amie

Ti-Amie Yesterday, 05:58 PM Go to last post
    suliso

Marketa

suliso Yesterday, 10:03 AM Go to last post
    the Moz

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

John Isner's inability to break serve and his support of the bogus 'alllivesmatter' movement compels me to not give much credence to what he says with

the Moz Yesterday, 05:45 AM Go to last post
  • Recent Blog Posts

mick1303

My tennis database

I didn't realize how dependent on the constant flow of tennis results I became. That is, until this flow stopped. To entertain myself, I turned to the past again. At first I touched pre-Open results...

mick1303 05-02-2020 08:55 AM
    ponchi101

On Covid-19. II

Proof me wrong.
    As we have reached the end of the first four months of 2020 more data have been inserted in the analysis of the COVID Pandemic. And the data keep getting worse.
    A recent article in...

ponchi101 04-30-2020 10:11 AM
    ponchi101

On Covid-19

I don't want to monopolize the thread.
    ---0---
    As we approach the end of the first 1/3 of the year, the official count of COVID deaths stands at a bit below 200,000 (it will pass that by this...

ponchi101 04-25-2020 08:41 AM
    ponchi101

The great ones don't jitterbug

I wrote this piece in 2011, but never posted it. Therefore, my excuses if the names are by now outdated, but the concept remains.

---0---
    I was subject during a recent tennis broadcast to the...

ponchi101 03-27-2020 09:31 AM
    ponchi101

The dumbest shot

The story made it to some tennis magazine.
    Andre Agassi went to an amusement park while playing the Cincinnati Open and got into a batting cage. The attendant set it to a moderate pace, which Agassi...

ponchi101 03-01-2020 08:25 AM