View RSS Feed

mick1303

My tennis database

Rate this Entry
I didn't realize how dependent on the constant flow of tennis results I became. That is, until this flow stopped. To entertain myself, I turned to the past again. At first I touched pre-Open results on Tennisarchives site. I already have a lot collected from here, but site caretakers continue to clarify some data on the continuous basis. But then I realized, that my early Open era collection can be improved greatly as well. And not only from Tennisarchives. ATP site also continues to improve and fill the gaps in tournament results. Since I was filling my database on early Open era years (68-75) around 2011-2012, now I have a lot of new-old data, which keeps me occupied. In addition to my previous data that had good, but not great representation of that period, now since March, I already collected 102 additional tournaments, total of 2500+ matches from that period. Also I had tournaments with incomplete draws (for instance only results from QF) and now if data is available, I'm collecting it as well. This already gave me 860 additional early round matches. Some other improvements also available. For instance, if previously player had only last name and initial, now I have full name in some instances. New data keeps coming ) Not that it will GREATLY influence overall picture. For comparison purposes - one year of ATP tour lately gives me around 2600-2700 matches. This 3300+ matches are spread over several years and are mostly smaller tournaments, but still...it is a lot of data to take into account. Many thanks to Alex from Tennisarchives. He is very responsive if I stumble on some inconsistencies in data.

Submit "My tennis database" to Facebook Submit "My tennis database" to Digg Submit "My tennis database" to del.icio.us Submit "My tennis database" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. ponchi101's Avatar
    I knew that you kept a lot of numbers but I did not know you actually had a DBase. That is great.
    Do you have the stats for the Sampras-Agassi match, QF USO 2001? The USO website data are missing a lot. For example, they have no count of the Winners/UE for the match, in any form. If you could post that, it would be great.
    Actually, we are posting a series of GREATEST MATCHES, pitting them against each other. If you could post the stats for both matches, it would be great to gauge which one was better.
    Which is a lot to ask for, and I hope you are a very busy man nowadays (it would mean you are working and doing well), but if you are riding this virus like the rest of us and have nothing better to do...
  2. mick1303's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101
    I knew that you kept a lot of numbers but I did not know you actually had a DBase. That is great.
    Do you have the stats for the Sampras-Agassi match, QF USO 2001? The USO website data are missing a lot. For example, they have no count of the Winners/UE for the match, in any form. If you could post that, it would be great.
    Actually, we are posting a series of GREATEST MATCHES, pitting them against each other. If you could post the stats for both matches, it would be great to gauge which one was better.
    Which is a lot to ask for, and I hope you are a very busy man nowadays (it would mean you are working and doing well), but if you are riding this virus like the rest of us and have nothing better to do...
    Ponchi, sorry to disappoint you, but my database is limited to scores for each individual match.
  3. mick1303's Avatar
    There is some strange score that keeps popping up in the British tournaments of early 70s. It is the set score of 9-8. I would understand if the tournament decides to play tiebreak at 8-8, but that is not in line with scores of 10-8, 11-9 etc in the same tournaments. Maybe someone remembers what was the story there?
  4. Woody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick1303
    There is some strange score that keeps popping up in the British tournaments of early 70s. It is the set score of 9-8. I would understand if the tournament decides to play tiebreak at 8-8, but that is not in line with scores of 10-8, 11-9 etc in the same tournaments. Maybe someone remembers what was the story there?
    Can you post some of the scorelines? Is it possible those 9-8 scores never appear in the deciding set? Or maybe early rounds have the tiebreak, but later rounds do not?
  5. Woody's Avatar
    This might be it: "In 1972, Wimbledon put into effect a 12-point tiebreaker when the score in a set reached 88 in games unless the set was such that one of the players could achieve a match victory by winning it."

    So this could only happen at set scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1

    Would make sense that British tournaments followed Wimbledon's lead, or maybe tested it out first.
    Updated 05-14-2020 at 11:55 AM by Woody
  6. mick1303's Avatar
    Here is an example: https://www.tennisarchives.com/edition/?v=23512. This tournament has scores 9-8, but at the same time 10-8 as well.
  7. mick1303's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    This might be it: "In 1972, Wimbledon put into effect a 12-point tiebreaker when the score in a set reached 88 in games unless the set was such that one of the players could achieve a match victory by winning it."

    So this could only happen at set scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1

    Would make sense that British tournaments followed Wimbledon's lead, or maybe tested it out first.
    There are plenty of cases in best of 3 matches, where 9-8 is in the 2nd set. So that part "unless the set was such..." is not applicable.