PDA

View Full Version : Your Questions for BUD COLLINS

TalkAboutTennis
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
We are pleased to announce that tennis historian, announcer par excellence, and all around friend of the sport BUD COLLINS has agreed to do a Q&A session with TAT. We are deeply indebted to Bud, and the staff of www.budcollinstennis.com (http://www.budcollinstennis.com/) for making this Q and A possible.

http://www.budcollinstennis.com/photos/06IndianWells/07___Nikolay_Davidenko_and_Bud.jpg

On June 1, "Bud Collins' History Of Tennis" will be published. It is currently available for pre-order on Amazon, B&N, and other book sites. In advance of publication, Bud has been kind enough to agree to answer your questions, and give you the opportunity to learn a few things from one of the greatest chroniclers of our favorite sport. Or maybe find out Marat Safin earned the Bud nickname "The Headless Horseman" (for a listing of all of the nicknames Bud has given players over the years, see: http://www.budcollinstennis.com/notes-main.html).

Please post your question for Bud in this thread. We'll leave the thread open over the course of the Sony Ericsson/Miami tournament.

Bud's Website:
http://www.budcollinstennis.com/index.html

http://www.budcollinstennis.com/notes-main.html

patrick
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
What is your favorite tennis memory?

GVGirl
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Bud,

First I'd like to say thank you for making me a tennis fan. I was a child in the late 70s when I used to watch you broadcast men's matches on PBS.

I have a few questions for you.

What drew you to cover tennis?

Since you have covered tennis since the 60's, what has been your favorite "era" of tennis and why?

How can tennis become as popular as it used to be in the 70s? What would you do to make tennis more popular now?

What advice would you give those aspiring to become tennis journalists or tennis broadcasters?

What's the best thing about being you?

Will you have a book sigining in the New York City area for your new book?

Scotty
03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Is there a story behind how you began wearing such colorful pants?
Do you have a favorite pair of them?
Are any of your pants displayed in the Tennis Hall of Fame?

atlpam
03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Who or what is the main resource for the correct pronunciation of the players' names?

oohsalmon
03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
In your dream match watched from home, what pair of commentators
would you want to listen to and why?

Is there a tournament that you haven't been to that you would like to?

You seem very comfortable doing, and excel at "sideline" reporting. Is this the role you see yourself performing in the future?

mysterX
03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
What things about tennis today represent the best changes from the bad old days?

What things about tennis today represent the worst regression from the good old days?

Jack
03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I've always been one of Bud's biggest fans. Regardless of what any of his detractors might say, his love and energy for our sport are limitless. I, like GV Girl, remember some of the PBS broadcasts (mine were from the early 80s though ;)) and remember reading his tennis articles in the Boston Globe.

Questions for Bud:
What are your favorite nicknames that you've created over the years?

I recall reading an interview with you many years ago where you said if you only had one media outlet, you'd choose print over television - do you still feel this way and why?

Who was your favorite player to interview, and why?

You can only watch one more tennis match - who are the players (any generation, any gender), and what is the surface or venue?

Will you come to the TAT tailgate at the US Open?:cheesy:

Moose
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM

That's the one we need to push to get a yes, Jack. Would be awesome to have a guest star at this year's Tailgate!

dryrunguy
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM
That's the one we need to push to get a yes, Jack. Would be awesome to have a guest star at this year's Tailgate!

That would be so cool. And if Bud attended, it would be really, really easy for our new Tailgaters to find the group! His clothes are like a shining beacon that could guide ships back to port!

oohsalmon
03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Akgul seems incredibly nice on Facebook, I bet she'd make a cameo at a tailgate. She'd also be easy to spot. :)

(Sorry for not being Bud related).

dryrunguy
03-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Of all the tennis people with whom you've had the opportunity to work and interact over the years (e.g., players, coaches, commentators, tournament personnel), who are the ones you could always count on for a laugh? Maybe there's a funny story you could tell us that hardly no one else knows?

Moose
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
MAny of us know of, but never got to see one of your favorites, Maria Bueno. Can you tell us what you, and so many others saw in her that made her legendary?

MeganFernandez
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
For better or worse, tennis is resistent to change. Are you in favor of the recent changes (Hawkeye, "doubles revolution," experimenting with on-court coaching)? What changes do you think are essential for tennis to implement - or undo?

Scotty
03-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Is there a current player you would particularly encourage fans to check out in person at a tournament (for entertainment value, or to say "I saw him/her before ...")?

Especially one we're not likely to be lucky enough to see on TV in the U.S.A.?

GVGirl
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I've always been one of Bud's biggest fans. Regardless of what any of his detractors might say, his love and energy for our sport are limitless. I, like GV Girl, remember some of the PBS broadcasts (mine were from the early 80s though ;)) and remember reading his tennis articles in the Boston Globe.

Questions for Bud:
What are your favorite nicknames that you've created over the years?

I recall reading an interview with you many years ago where you said if you only had one media outlet, you'd choose print over television - do you still feel this way and why?

Who was your favorite player to interview, and why?

You can only watch one more tennis match - who are the players (any generation, any gender), and what is the surface or venue?

That would be so cool. And if Bud attended, it would be really, really easy for our new Tailgaters to find the group! His clothes are like a shining beacon that could guide ships back to port!

It would be wonderful for both Bud and his wife to attend our tailgate! We'd be so honored!!:)

dryrunguy
03-27-2008, 10:17 PM
When you look at all of the personalities in tennis--the players, the coaches, the commentators, the powers-that-be in the ATP and WTA, etc.--who do you think is the most misunderstood, and why?

OlderfanCA
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
During the Australian Open, I got the distinct feeling that you are not that fond of Roger Federer. If this is the case, are you able to share what that issue(s) is/are?

Moose
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Want to remind everyone of this...we'll keep the thread open til Sunday, then will be getting the questions off to Bud sometime next week.

oohsalmon
04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Where do you buy your pants? (Honestly, I wanna know).

nelslus
04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
*Who amongst the players have ended up being your closest friends? (Bonus points if you tell us who are your sworn enemies. ;))

*Which players, past or present, have surprised you the most re: becoming champions- you just didn't see them coming.....Also, any juniors currently that you think are destined to become champs?

*Jon Wertheim gave one answer to the following question- so, I'm very interested in your take on this.....How do you think that past doubles teams- say, BJK/Margaret, Martina/Pam, Court/anyone, the Aussie men....would do if they were playing today?

Moose
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Going to leave this open for one more day, in case anyone has any last minute questions. After that, we'll be getting them off to Bud.

munchin
04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
What was the best Grand Slam fortnight you have ever experienced?

If you were not a tennis journalist what would have been your calling in life?