PDA

View Full Version : World Figure Skating Championships

zephblabs
03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Results:
Men:
1. Jeffrey Buttle CAN (I know!! :flamed:)
2. Brian Joubert FRA
3. Johnny Weir USA (I know!!!! :flamed:)

Ladies:
1. Mao Asada JPN
2. Carolina Kostner ITA (I know!! :flamed:)
3. Yu-na Kim KOR

Pairs:
1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szalkowy GER
2. Dan Zhang/Hao Zhang CHN
3. Jessica Dube/ Bryce Davison CAN

Dance:
1. Isabel Delobel/ Olivier Schoenfelder FRA
2. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir CAN
3. Jana Khoklova/ Sergei Novitski RUS

Canada took home the most medals, with one gold, silver and bronze. (I KNOW!!!).
France took home two medals, a gold and a silver.
US took home one medal courtesy of HFJW (I KNOW!! :flamed:)

jjnow
03-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I would need Pamchenko to break down the significance of these results for me.

mmmm8
03-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Some of that is... pretty weird (pun unintended)

zephblabs
03-23-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm not exactly pamchenko but here goes...
Have it not been for HFJW the US would not have medaled, and that have not happened since 1994.

In the ladies field the US was represented by Kimmie Meissner, Bebe Liang and Ashley Wagner. Meissner, Liang and Wagner placed 7th, 10th and 16th respectively. The current ladies US champion (Nagasu), the silver medalist (Flatt) and fourth place finisher (Zhang) were not able to participate for they are all age ineligible, however they will be eligible to compete next year at LA.

who cares about the other disciplines anyway? LOL.

mmmm8
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM

I do! I really don't care for the women's much

zephblabs
03-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I do! I really don't care for the women's much

i'm actually watching the men's broadcast right now.
Jeffrey Buttle did deserve that world championship. :) and joubert, hmm. that costume was interesting.

pamchenko
03-23-2008, 04:47 PM

I am, as usual, happy to answer questions. :)

Significance, hmmm...
Pairs: Dube/Davison are a pretty young team to be medalling at Worlds. Savchenko/Szolkowy have a lot of underappreciated qualities that are hard to see if you don't see them in person (and maybe also if you don't know the technique of the sport very well); they didn't skate absolutely clean at Worlds, but they are fabulously talented and deserve everything they get. US results will be interesting next year when McLaughlin/Brubaker (the National champions) are age eligible to compete.

Ladies: A solid competition. Mao, Carolina, and Yu-Na are all tremendously talented in different ways and I think it's nice to see variety on the podium. Same age eligibility point for the US, since 3 of the 4 medallists at Senior nationals this year weren't old enough to compete. If Joannie Rochette and the Finnish girls can turn in consistent performances, the competition will get very, very tough. Although realistically when they're clean Mao, Yu-Na, and Carolina are my clear top 3 in the field right now.

Dance: OMG, Delobel/Schoenfelder, OMG. They have deserved it so much for so long. I cried like 5 times, LOL. Lots of rumours that they'll retire after this, which no one could blame them for since they've been competing together for 17 years, but the sport would lose something important. Virtue/Moir I think are incredibly overrated, but it was a weak field this year so I wouldn't argue that they didn't deserve their placement. Same for Khokhlova/Novitski. Very tough competition for Belbin/Agosto, but their placements were all appropriate, they are not as good as their past placements. Hopefully Domnina/Shabalin will be healthy next year, they are the Real Deal with capital letters. The lower half of the top 10 is also very exciting, I'd pick Davis/White (USA) and Pechalat/Bourzat (FRA) to do the most out of that group, and there could be a a lot of movement leading up to Vancouver.

(Lord, can you tell which one I used to compete in? :rolleyes: )

Men: The new system can work, it really really can! Exhibit A, Jeffrey Buttle. Too bad the long program was not as well skated as the short, because Tomas Verner, Patrick Chan and Stephanie Lambiel can all turn in much stronger performances than they did.

Me.

zephblabs
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Me.

I may pay more attention to ice dancing if moir and white pair up. lol. i was really surprised at what happened to ben/agosto though. considering that their podium finish at last year's worlds was almost a gift. this was their chance. on pairs, i am happy that savchenko/szolkowy won. i really thought that zhang/zhang are overrated. HFJW salavaged this world championships for the US! who would have thought?

jjnow
03-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Thankies for the breakdown, Pam and zeph.

nelslus
03-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Thankies for the breakdown, Pam and zeph.

............"thankies"?!??!?.............

jjnow
03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
............"thankies"?!??!?.............
I'm taking it upon myself to make up new words. :cheesy:

I've just graced another internet forum with "coinkydinky."

nelslus
03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm taking it upon myself to make up new words. :cheesy:

I've just graced another internet forum with "coinkydinky."

I can only assume that "coinkydinky" was utilized in a sentence involving Dry......

winston
03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey jj,

Your avatar almost did me in. At first glance, I looked at it from the bottom up. What I saw was a big office building with a bent, leafless tree in front. Wasn't till I got to the top and saw Jelana (at least I think it's her) that I realized I'd been looking at a net.

You could start your own psychological testing service with that.

pamchenko
03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I was just thinking that it fits right in in a figure skating thread. :lipsrsealed:

(I get to say that because I was a skater. Eating disorder jokes from anyone else would be distasteful. :p)

jjnow
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey jj,

Your avatar almost did me in. At first glance, I looked at it from the bottom up. What I saw was a big office building with a bent, leafless tree in front. Wasn't till I got to the top and saw Jelana (at least I think it's her) that I realized I'd been looking at a net.

You could start your own psychological testing service with that.
And Jessie thought it was someone in a tub.

It is Jelena. From her semifinal with Ivanovic at IW.

I had no idea it was so tricky.

jjnow
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
So we watched the replay in chat tonight.

I know nothing about skating but:

Mao Asada was awesome after the bellyflop.

Jeffrey Buttle = smoothest routine.

And Kostner was awful.

pamchenko
03-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I do not understand all this Kostner hate from fans all of a sudden. Okay, her long program was not the best ever (although, by Carolina standards, not ending up on her butt is a major success :cheesy: ). But I can truly say that she is one of the most gifted skaters I have ever seen in terms of pure skating ability (flow, ice coverage, edge quality and control, etc.), and she's finally found a style that works for her, so I'm tres confused at everyone suddenly hating her. :confused:

dryrunguy
03-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I do not understand all this Kostner hate from fans all of a sudden. Okay, her long program was not the best ever (although, by Carolina standards, not ending up on her butt is a major success :cheesy: ). But I can truly say that she is one of the most gifted skaters I have ever seen in terms of pure skating ability (flow, ice coverage, edge quality and control, etc.), and she's finally found a style that works for her, so I'm tres confused at everyone suddenly hating her. :confused:

Okay. I am NO expert when it comes to figure skating. And I have to admit that I didn't see her performance at Worlds.

All I know is that, when she skates, she makes me a wreck. I know they're all for speed, but when she skates, and I think I've said this before, I worry she's going to miss an element and find herself flat on her rear in the parking lot. She's so erratic and so fast that I just can't enjoy her programs.

She's a fantastic skater, there's no doubt about that. I just can't enjoy her.

If we want to talk about awful, what the hell is up with Meissner? She's becoming Sasha Part Deux, but worse!

pamchenko
03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I worry that Carolina's going to miss elements a lot, but never because of her speed. Always because she's a complete headcase. :p

Kimmie grew and couldn't sustain her flawed technique. End of. I suspect there may be some personal stuff behind the scenes, too, but who doesn't have personal stuff going down when they're 18/19? It's a confusing time.

hurricanejeanne
03-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I worry that Carolina's going to miss elements a lot, but never because of her speed. Always because she's a complete headcase. :p

Kimmie grew and couldn't sustain her flawed technique. End of. I suspect there may be some personal stuff behind the scenes, too, but who doesn't have personal stuff going down when they're 18/19? It's a confusing time.

LOL, total headcase, but that's probably why I was the only one in chat last night who was like "I like that one!" even though she was really, really shaky. I have seen her skate better than that though.

Asada's belly flop was insane but she threw down after that fall. Kudos.

snoopy2007
03-29-2008, 06:25 AM
is jelena in this ?

GVGirl
03-29-2008, 06:30 AM
is jelena in this ?

:hyst: LOL

pamchenko
03-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Jelena has the divatude to fit into skating, but methinks she would turn around and walk back out when she realizes eating is verboten. :p (Also, she makes more in a month in tennis than she'd make in a whole year in skating.)

kandi
03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Carolina did not skate up to her abilities, she said so herself -- and I thought was lucky to hang in there for the Silver. Mao was indeed awesome -- and ran away with the Gold. Yu-Na I thought okay, I liked Nakano as well.

Buttle - WOW HOORAY - I've been a fan of his for so long, and he has had so many ups and downs (literally) in his career. His programs at Worlds were to die for -- and I am thrilled for his win !

Wha' happened to Takahashi? I thought he had it going in ---

Belbin & Agosto came oh so close to the podium but just could not quite make up for that disastrous Compulsory. What a shame. Their FD was great.
I too was glad for Delobel & Schoenfelder, I did not realize they had never medaled at Worlds before, they certainly deserved the win.