PDA

View Full Version : Dancevic pickers

shtexas
03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Since this is just practice, those who chose Dancevic can go ahead and advance themselves to day two. Both Dancevic and Falla were replaced by lucky losers. Use the winner of the match (Fognini) as your day 1 choice.

If this had been a major with medals at stake, tough luck. Lol!

Allowing a lucky loser replacement is unfair to those who, say, have a player they chose later in the event withdraw (i.e. Gasquet at the USO anyone?). They don't get a replacement player, and they are out. Why should someone get a break because it happened in the first round?

But, for practice, and since we had the odd situation of double-replacement, I am ok with it.

oploskoffie
03-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Thx for the opportunity, shtexas, but I actually don't think I could make a pick without it feeling really weird :o I was just wondering this morning because someone had mentioned the possibility existing, possibly as a standard exception I was unaware of for rare cases such as this one. I mean, really... The two players who were supposed to play against each other both pull out with back problems? What DID they get up to after the player party? :rolleyes:

GVGirl
03-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Thx for the opportunity, shtexas, but I actually don't think I could make a pick without it feeling really weird :o I was just wondering this morning because someone had mentioned the possibility existing, possibly as a standard exception I was unaware of for rare cases such as this one. I mean, really... The two players who were supposed to play against each other both pull out with back problems? What DID they get up to after the player party? :rolleyes:

They must have met up with special k.:lipsrsealed:

oploskoffie
03-14-2008, 08:16 AM

So, more fun than Wheaties, but a danger to your health? She should come with a warning label, if that ain't already the case :rolleyes:

shtexas
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Totally up to you and I respect that decision.

Historical basis: When the game first started, we let the lucky loser replacement take the place of a contestant's choice. But, over time, we realized that was not fair to those later in the event who had a player withdraw with no replacement. No better example, of course, than Gaquet at the USO, who knocked out something like 40 contestants with his second round withdrawal.

mmmm8
03-14-2008, 08:26 AM

Hmm... they both listed a "back problem" as the reason

GVGirl
03-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Hmm... they both listed a "back problem" as the reason

I'm not touching that one.:lipsrsealed:

patrick
03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Even though I am already out on the ATP and WTA pools, good decision for the practice pools :cool:

shtexas
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
The double lucky-loser situation is an even better reason for not allowing the substitution in the first place.

JTContinental
03-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, shtexas. I'm not above taking advantage of this situation. If I win, though, I'll defer the title to those who didn't pick Dancevic. ;)

ptmcmahon
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Once again, on behalf of my country...sorry!