PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Life/IW Suicide Pool starts 3/11

Moose
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Main Draw play at Indian Wells Begins March 12 for the ladies and March 13 for the Men...so our IWSP will commence with an opening ladies thread next Tuesday. Please note, this year, Men's Main Draw play begins on Thursday (it has always begun on Friday in the past), so we will open the first men's thread next Wednesday.

Since IW and Miami are both practice pools, scoring won't affect our Suicide Pool rankings. These two are for fun and practice in working your way through a draw.

We do self-scoring for these tournaments, rather than have our usual Picks/Results thread. You'll have to keep track of your daily picks...we reccomend that with each new days thread for your picks, you copy and paste in your previous selections.

We'll be opening the Loser's Lounge later this week.

Drop-shot
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Since IW and Miami are both practice pools, scoring won't affect our Suicide Pool rankings. These two are for fun and practice in working your way through a draw.

where are they by the way? The last ones I found were post-Wimby. Have they been moved or what?

Moose
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
where are they by the way? The last ones I found were post-Wimby. Have they been moved or what?

They'll be updated in the very near future, Drop-Shot. Probably right after the conclusion of Miami. But definitely well before the French.

Drop-shot
03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
OK, thanks for the head's up

oploskoffie
03-08-2008, 02:53 AM
I hereby happily give this thread a bit of a bump. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - should miss out on an SP :cool:

patrick
03-08-2008, 06:25 AM
I hereby happily give this thread a bit of a bump. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - should miss out on an SP :cool:

True. I need the practice.

ptmcmahon
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Whew...almost missed it. Thanks for the bump!

Jack
03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I think I lost 1R of all 4 (IW Men, IW Women, Miami Men, Miami Women) last year. In a way, I think these are harder to pick than the majors, because for the first couple of days you're forced to pick someone unseeded, since the seeds get 1st round byes.

Although right now, bye is an attractive pick over Daniliidou.

dryrunguy
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I think I lost 1R of all 4 (IW Men, IW Women, Miami Men, Miami Women) last year. In a way, I think these are harder to pick than the majors, because for the first couple of days you're forced to pick someone unseeded, since the seeds get 1st round byes.

Although right now, bye is an attractive pick over Daniliidou.

If Rika Fujiwara gets out of qualifying, pick her. She's money. ;) And she LOVES taking scalps Indian Wells.

Jack
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
If Rika Fujiwara gets out of qualifying, pick her. She's money. ;) And she LOVES taking scalps Indian Wells.

Hey, if she plays Zuzana, I'm all over it! :rockon:

hurricanejeanne
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I always do best in the practice pools, though I did pretty well at the AO this year. Allez me in SP. :p

dryrunguy
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey, if she plays Zuzana, I'm all over it! :rockon:

Fine. But make sure you wear rubber gloves.

Jack
03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Fine. But make sure you wear rubber gloves.

Just gloves? I heard Rika likes the whole ensemble.

dryrunguy
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Just gloves? I heard Rika likes the whole ensemble.

There will be music?

Jack
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
There will be music?

Just the flute.

dryrunguy
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Just the flute.

Didn't Sesil demand a tuba?

Jack
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM

A tube of what? KY?

Sorry GV - I couldn't resist. I'll play nice...

Moose
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
There will be music?

Just the flute.

No rusty trombone?

yeah yeah, I know GV. No dumpsterizing a tourney thread. My bad!

dryrunguy
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Speaking of rusty trombones, Rika Fujiwara knocked off the top seed in qualifying--after dropping the first set. She's a cagey and snakish little demon. Don't be fooled by the sweat demeanor, as nelslus mistakenly tells it.

Let the bloodbath begin. This is just the beginning.

Moose
03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Speaking of rusty trombones, Rika Fujiwara knocked off the top seed in qualifying. Let the bloodbath begin.

Sorry Dry...but the terms "rusty trombone" and "seed" simply cannot co-exist in a sentence outside of the Dumpster.

mmmm8
03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry Dry...but the terms "rusty trombone" and "seed" simply cannot co-exist in a sentence outside of the Dumpster.

In fact, they can't really coexist at all, especially in the vicinity of Sesil K. Otherwise, why would she need to start using condoms?

e11even
03-11-2008, 04:40 AM
When is the first pick due? Thanks.

patrick
03-11-2008, 04:59 AM

WTA picks are probably due before 10 AM PST tomorrow with the ATP due at the same time Thursday.

Moose
03-11-2008, 05:44 AM

According to the Pacific Life website, main draw play begins at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time tomorrow (Wednesday) for the ladies, so that will be the deadline. We'll have the Day 1 thread opened later today, after the qualies are complete and the matches for day 1 are announced.

The 1st day Mens pick will be due no later than 11:00 a.m. PT on Thursday - mens play begins one day later than the ladies at Indian Wells.

ponchi101
03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
ah, 13:30 EST and where is the thread for posting picks for the SP's? Not that I'm impatient or anything like that...

Moose
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
ah, 13:30 EST and where is the thread for posting picks for the SP's? Not that I'm impatient or anything like that...

It will still be a while, Ponchi. Probably til this evening (East coast time). We have to wait til the qualifiers finish play, and they get inserted into their slots in the main draw...and we find out which half of the main draw will be playing tomorrow. Till that happens, we can't proceed with taking picks.

oploskoffie
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
It will still be a while, Ponchi. Probably til this evening (East coast time). We have to wait til the qualifiers finish play, and they get inserted into their slots in the main draw...and we find out which half of the main draw will be playing tomorrow. Till that happens, we can't proceed with taking picks.

Ah, balls. That means I have to get up early tomorrow morning :(

suliso
03-11-2008, 01:38 PM

It only starts at 7 pm your time, no?

Moose
03-11-2008, 01:38 PM

Actually, Oplo...play probably won't begin til around 5-6:00 p.m. tomorrow where you live. They start the main draw play at 11:00 California time, which is 2:00 in the afternoon my time. So you should have time tomorrow

Madame
03-11-2008, 01:47 PM

I know Koffie, Six in the afternoon is awfully early !!! :rolleyes:

oploskoffie
03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I know Koffie, Six in the afternoon is awfully early !!! :rolleyes:

I don't get home till past midnight tomorrow. So, I have to make my picks at about 7 AM, before I go to work :rolleyes:

Madame
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't get home till past midnight tomorrow. So, I have to make my picks at about 7 AM, before I go to work :rolleyes:

Ah, :o

but imagine, just imagine a job that allows you to make picks during the day?
hum
anyway it's just a play SP
and you can allways pick bottom and top draw tonight and what the heck (just a bit harder without qualifiers but makes it more stimulating)

I could never make picks at 7 in the morning ... :(

oploskoffie
03-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Ah, :o

but imagine, just imagine a job that allows you to make picks during the day?
hum
anyway it's just a play SP
and you can allways pick bottom and top draw tonight and what the heck (just a bit harder without qualifiers but makes it more stimulating)

I could never make picks at 7 in the morning ... :(

I used to have that kind of job. Now I work for a different company and everything is restricted except for the amount of coffee we drink.

I'll torture myself and get up early. There's no such thing as a "play" SP for me :rolleyes: ;)

Madame
03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
well I'll do my pick during lunch tomorrow
And I'm going to bed NOW. I'm dead. See ya all :cool:

Moose
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I used to have that kind of job. Now I work for a different company and everything is restricted except for the amount of coffee we drink.

I'll torture myself and get up early. There's no such thing as a "play" SP for me :rolleyes: ;)

If they are supplying the coffee, and if it is very good coffee, it's a sacrifice I would consider, Oplo. But it better be some darn fine coffee.

We only call it a "practice SP" for those people who don't know the agony of watching a Day 1 pick survive a 3rd set tiebreak. The rest of us know better.

ptmcmahon
03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
We only call it a "practice SP" for those people who don't know the agony of watching a Day 1 pick survive a 3rd set tiebreak. The rest of us know better.

Survive? :rolleyes:

ptmcmahon
03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
No one's going to beat the women's draw, although none of the three have been eliminated. We'll have our winner(s) decided tonight.

If there's a tie will there be a TB?