PDA

View Full Version : 3 Column Layout?

Kirkus
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Like I mentioned in my latest blog entry, TAT News & Stuff - February 2008 (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/blog.php?b=70), I want to try a different layout for our forum -- additional column on the left.

I'm curious what you think about this.

Ti-Amie
02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
My first thought was that it's crowded but this is from someone who can't find the calendar so what do I know?

I'm giving myself time to see how I feel about it.

Jay
02-07-2008, 06:03 AM
My first thought was that it's crowded but this is from someone who can't find the calendar so what do I know?

I'm giving myself time to see how I feel about it.

Yep, same here. :)

one_shot07
02-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I like it!

ptmcmahon
02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Kinda crowded for me and I don't look at the blogs...but the tennis headlines might be a near idea...

Jay
02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Kinda crowded for me and I don't look at the blogs...but the tennis headlines might be a near idea...
It would....
But... what happens to the headlines when the next grand slam starts up again?
The reason why the tennis headlines were taken off from the forum part in the first place was because it spoiled the scores for some people who watched certain matches on tape delay. So, they're coming back?

JTContinental
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm sure I'll get used to it if we decide to keep it, but it does seem a little crowded.

craighickman
02-07-2008, 09:27 AM
If TAT is the den in my home, it all of a sudden feels like too much furniture is in the room.

Kirkus
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
It would....
But... what happens to the headlines when the next grand slam starts up again?
The reason why the tennis headlines were taken off from the forum part in the first place was because it spoiled the scores for some people who watched certain matches on tape delay. So, they're coming back?

This is different news, Jessie. The old news was an RSS feed that we had no control over. These are actually press releases that we receive and can pick and choose what to show.

suliso
02-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I also feel it's too crowded. Particularly on my old laptop...

Jay
02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
This is different news, Jessie. The old news was an RSS feed that we had no control over. These are actually press releases that we receive and can pick and choose what to show.
aah, ok. :)

then I like it :D I say we keep it :D

Charlie02123
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I used the "meh" option. I'll leave this up to others.

oploskoffie
02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
This is perfect for me. But I have to add that my screen is set to 1280 x 1024, so the "crowded" effect is pretty much lost in that translation.

GVGirl
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
I like the third column. I can see the blogs without having to search for them as well as the headlines.

After dealing with a "Bloomberg" screen for years this is a pleasure.;)

suliso
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Could it be made so that we can choose individually to have it or not have it? Or is that technically impossible?

morct
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Could it be made so that we can choose individually to have it or not have it? Or is that technically impossible?

That would be great, 'cos I really don't like it. :( It's giving me a headache trying to get where I want to go.

Kirkus
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM

That's not a possibility unfortunately. :(

MeganFernandez
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
It think it's fine. The difference is minimal. I had to figure out where the 3rd column was. I didn't notice a difference until the question was posed.

--cj--
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I like the third column. I can see the blogs without having to search for them as well as the headlines.

After dealing with a "Bloomberg" screen for years this is a pleasure.;)

Weren't the blogs and headlines available on the bottom of the right column previously? I'm pretty sure the blogs were. I think that solution made sense.

As someone who develops websites, anything you put in that left column instantly is instantly perceived as more important. So things that you'd like to emphasize should go there.

Meanwhile, if we must have headlines here, can we control the ALL CAPS setting? So many headlines in all caps becomes hard to read and is distracting from the rest of the page.

That's my 2 cents.

Kirkus
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Weren't the blogs and headlines available on the bottom of the right column previously? I'm pretty sure the blogs were. I think that solution made sense.

The blogs have been.

As someone who develops websites, anything you put in that left column instantly is instantly perceived as more important. So things that you'd like to emphasize should go there.

Yep.

Meanwhile, if we must have headlines here, can we control the ALL CAPS setting? So many headlines in all caps becomes hard to read and is distracting from the rest of the page.

That's on the list of revisions to make.

That's my 2 cents.

:)

dryrunguy
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
That's not a possibility unfortunately. :(

Okay. That's the question I was going to ask.

I fell into the "I really like it" category. But I don't feel strongly about it.

As if there probably wasn't enough confusion.

Dry

Tscott415
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
i find it very crowded and on long posts that would be a real nagging thing that would annoy me...

Madame
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
well I like it !!!
but I want the blogs to be merged because only the member blogs are there !

jjnow
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
A little too cramped for me. :undecided:

But I'm sure my eyes would adjust if more people want to keep it.

MeganFernandez
02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Actually, I like the narrower field for posts. The shorter line lengths are much easier to read. I'd rather scroll a little more than lose my focus midway through a sentence.

Add another column!

aedra1119
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I like the new look, especially the headlines. I also like how I can see the blogs without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page. Sometimes I forget to look, so now I can easily see when a new blog has been posted. :)

GVGirl
02-08-2008, 04:45 AM
One thought. Why don't you put the recent posts column on the left and the other stuff on the right. Would that look better? It would work for me.

craighickman
02-08-2008, 05:46 AM
One thought. Why don't you put the recent posts column on the left and the other stuff on the right. Would that look better? It would work for me.

Oh. Not me. My eye immediately goes to the right when I sign on. I hope we can keep something the same.

suliso
02-08-2008, 05:50 AM
My eye immediately goes to the right when I sign on. I hope we can keep something the same.

:yes:

Aziza
02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I used the "meh" option. I'll leave this up to others.

I'm with Charlie! :p

Kirkus
02-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Let's give this another few days and see how it goes. It does seem a bit crowded, but I wonder if we won't get used to it after a little more time. I do like having the other information available in the forum.

craighickman
02-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Let's give this another few days and see how it goes. It does seem a bit crowded, but I wonder if we won't get used to it after a little more time. I do like having the other information available in the forum.

Putting the other info underneath the right column isn't an option? Or has that been done already?

oohsalmon
02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
It is serious overload in User CP, when you wind up with 4 columns. :shocked:

Kirkus
02-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Putting the other info underneath the right column isn't an option? Or has that been done already?

It's definitely an option. That's all I'm doing right now is trying different layouts.

Foxykhat
02-09-2008, 05:46 AM
I like the new look, especially the headlines. I also like how I can see the blogs without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page. Sometimes I forget to look, so now I can easily see when a new blog has been posted. :)

I voted Meh, but I agree with Aedra I forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page also.

And while it was a little crowded at first I've gotten accustomed to it already. Maybe it depends on your computer and the size of the screen.

Foxy

Kirkus
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
As I said at the beginning, I was going to try this for a short time. I appreciate everyone's input (a work in progress and all that).

It turns out that the extra column was creating some aesthetic issues that I wasn't able to fix. So... here we are again.

My apology for those who really liked it.

Ti-Amie
02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I just got used to it.

Kirkus
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I just got used to it.

I'm sorry. Now everything probably looks too stretched out, huh?

Ti-Amie
02-10-2008, 08:06 PM

Yep. But if it's messing with things then it had to go.

craighickman
02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Everything looks just fine.

Kirkus
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Everything looks just fine.

LOL.

Charlie02123
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Other column, we hardly knew ye.