PDA

View Full Version : Help Please re String Tension

PeterSkan
02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm looking for some advice. I recently busted my strings during an indoor game with my daughter and need to have my racket restrung. I haven't had this done in ages and have no clue what the previous tension level was. I need to have this looked after right away because I am going down to Florida in a week's time with my daughter and we will be playing quite a bit down there.

I hit the ball hard and mostly flat. I'm worried that if the tension is too high the ball will go sailing on me.

I would appreciate some recommendations on an appropriate level of tension baased on that style of play.

Many thanks in advance!

mysterX
02-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm looking for some advice. I recently busted my strings during an indoor game with my daughter and need to have my racket restrung. I haven't had this done in ages and have no clue what the previous tension level was. I need to have this looked after right away because I am going down to Florida in a week's time with my daughter and we will be playing quite a bit down there.

I hit the ball hard and mostly flat. I'm worried that if the tension is too high the ball will go sailing on me.

I would appreciate some recommendations on an appropriate level of tension based on that style of play.

Many thanks in advance!

Usually if you look at the inside of your racket around the handle, there is a recommended stringing tension, such as 50-60 lbs. I always string in the middle of whatever range is on my racket, in my case around 55lbs for the Wilson rackets I use.

I've been led to believe that stringing too tightly gives you MORE control but less power. So if you are worried about control more than power, you may want to string a little tighter than normal. I think the idea is that a looser strung racket gives more of a trampoline-like effect to the ball, making it go a little faster.

Lots of the guys I play with have all sorts of superstitions about how their rackets are strung. Me, I've found that if I hit the ball in the center of the racket I do OK, regardless of what tension I string at :)

Scotty
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM

I would appreciate some recommendations on an appropriate level of tension baased on that style of play.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Peter,

if there's no recommended range on the racket, and you string with some sort of synthetic gut, you'll probably want to string somewhere between 55 and 65 pounds. If your racket is midsize, likely toward the bottom end of that range; if it's oversize, prolly at the top end.

You could also look your racket up on the manufacturer's site, and see their recommended tension range. Failing that, you could look it up on a retailer's site. I like tenniswarehouse.com, and they even have a pretty good backlog of information on rackets that have been discontinued.

And don't hesistate to ask the person who strings the racket for a recommendation on string AND tension. They should add a sticker on the inside of the throat somewhere, so you'll have a record of how tightly it was strung this time around.

If it's been that long since the last time you had the racket strung, the new strings will probably feel tighter than what you were used to, no matter what tension you choose. That's because string jobs slowly lose tension over time.

Have fun in Florida!

PeterSkan
02-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi Peter,

if there's no recommended range on the racket, and you string with some sort of synthetic gut, you'll probably want to string somewhere between 55 and 65 pounds. If your racket is midsize, likely toward the bottom end of that range; if it's oversize, prolly at the top end.

You could also look your racket up on the manufacturer's site, and see their recommended tension range. Failing that, you could look it up on a retailer's site. I like tenniswarehouse.com, and they even have a pretty good backlog of information on rackets that have been discontinued.

And don't hesistate to ask the person who strings the racket for a recommendation on string AND tension. They should add a sticker on the inside of the throat somewhere, so you'll have a record of how tightly it was strung this time around.

If it's been that long since the last time you had the racket strung, the new strings will probably feel tighter than what you were used to, no matter what tension you choose. That's because string jobs slowly lose tension over time.

Have fun in Florida!

Hey - thanks very much guys. The shop checked the specs and restrung the racket based on the manufacturer's recomendation.

I really appreciate the information - it is very helpful! Thanks again

PeterSkan
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
We leave for Florida on Monday morning. The windchill today was in the -50's today, so we are very much looking forward to thawing out and enjoying the outdoors.

I'm on stage for my last concert before our holiday. It's a lighter concert, featuring Janice Martin, who will perform solos on violin and paino, as well as singing a few arias. Talented girl, she apparently dances as well.

I'd say her piano is the weakest, and her violin playing the strongest. Easy on the eyes, too!

Magg45
07-25-2013, 10:32 PM
What string are you using? The way it sounds the lower you go the faster you lose the "pop". Which if that's true go higher.

mahmudd29
07-28-2013, 12:17 PM
What is the standard srting Tension ?? I gave 44 in my racquet.

Magg45
09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
What string are you using? The way it sounds the lower you go the faster you lose the "pop". Which if that's true go higher.

No advertising