3. Rachael Flatt 62.91
4. Kimmie Meissner 57.58
5. Katrina Hacker 56.87
6. Beatrisa Liang 55.10
7. Caroline Zhang 53.49
8. Melissa Bulanhagui 52.77
9. Alissa Czisny 50.58
10. Danielle Kahle 50.46

Armed with a triple-triple combination the 14 year old Mirai Nagasu trounced favorite 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner. Nagasu is the 2007 Junior National Champion, 2007 World Junior Silver Medallist, and 2008 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion.

GVGirl
01-25-2008, 05:25 PM
If Mirai wins the whole thing, she can't compete in the Worlds because she is too young, which is a shame.:mad:

tinamarie
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM
If Mirai wins the whole thing, she can't compete in the Worlds because she is too young, which is a shame.:mad:

I actually support age restrictions in professional sports. I see it as a neccessary protection for young athletes. IMO, it's just too much pressure, expectation and too much hype for a kid to handle (and unfortunatly, some parents aren't the best judges when it comes to the career of their children...).

kandi
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
U.S. Nationals - Junior Men - Final Standings
Results:
FPl. Name Points SP FS
1 Adam Rippon
SC of New York 213.76 1 1
2 Brandon Mroz
Broadmoor SC 203.63 3 2
3 Andrew Gonzales
All Year FSC 182.27 4 4
4 Richard Dornbush
All Year FSC 179.27 12 3
5 Keegan Messing
Anchorage FSC 176.63 6 5
6 Curran Oi ----------------this boy fell from 2nd in SP to 10th in FS
SC of Boston 176.44 2 10
7 Alexander Johnson
Braemar-City of Lakes FSC 169.19 5 9
8 Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Washington FSC 167.76 9 6
9 William Brewster
Detroit SC 167.70 7 8
10 Austin Kanallakan
Broadmoor SC 165.06 10 7
11 Grant Hochstein
St. Clair Shores FSC 162.12 8 11
12 Zachary DeWulf
Univ of Delaware FSC 152.68 11 13
13 Max Aaron
Coyotes SC of Arizona 146.98 13 14
14 Daniel Raad
Park FSC 145.30 16 12
15 Osadolo Irowa
DuPage FSC 141.46 14 15
16 Theron James
New Haven SC 116.52 15 16

from www.icenetwork.com

zephblabs
01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I actually support age restrictions in professional sports. I see it as a neccessary protection for young athletes. IMO, it's just too much pressure, expectation and too much hype for a kid to handle (and unfortunatly, some parents aren't the best judges when it comes to the career of their children...).

they say that the logic behind the age restriction is for the kids not to push themselves too hard (like tara).

but i don't know who are they kidding for 13 year olds are practicing triple axels and landing triple-triples.
also, those age restriction only apply to major international championships. no one stopped mao asada or caroline zhang from competing in the senior grand prix but they are not allowed to compete the same program in a world championship or olympic competition/
i see the point for the age restriction, but at least make it consistent, like: no one younger than 15 on the first of July can compete in the senior level.

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Ladies Short Program:

1. Mirai Nagasu 70.23
2. Ashley Wagner 65.15
3. Rachael Flatt 62.91
4. Kimmie Meissner 57.58
5. Katrina Hacker 56.87
6. Beatrisa Liang 55.10
7. Caroline Zhang 53.49
8. Melissa Bulanhagui 52.77
9. Alissa Czisny 50.58
10. Danielle Kahle 50.46

Armed with a triple-triple combination the 14 year old Mirai Nagasu trounced favorite 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner. Nagasu is the 2007 Junior National Champion, 2007 World Junior Silver Medallist, and 2008 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion.

Wow! Meissner in 4th, Liang is 6th, and Zhang in 7th. I always like Czisny. Hate to see her struggling like this. But she's has messy tendancies. :(

tinamarie
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
they say that the logic behind the age restriction is for the kids not to push themselves too hard (like tara).

but i don't know who are they kidding for 13 year olds are practicing triple axels and landing triple-triples.

I agree with the highlighted part and of course you have a point with the second paragraph. I just dont think this should be suppported by officials. 13/14 year olds, they are still children. and they deserve to be kids as well... world championships, that's just too much. give them some time to grow as a person, so that they are able to handle such a competition with its both its disapointments and triumphs. and in some cases,protect them from their coaches and parents... just my opinion, of course.

I just read your edited post, zephblabs, and I couldnt agree more about making age restrictions consistent.

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I think children should be allowed to compete at whatever age their parents allow them to compete. I've never been a fan of someone else (strangers, no less) deciding what's best for children except the parents.

Having said that, no child of mine would enter any kind of highly competitive sport/activity until I knew, as their parent, that they were mentally mature enough to handle it (like, oh, I don't know... somewhere around 30-ish :) ).

It's like watching the Little League World Series. The loosing team always, ALWAYS ends up in tears. These kids are wound way too tight.

tinamarie
01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I think children should be allowed to compete at whatever age their parents allow them to compete.I've never been a fan of someone else (strangers, no less) deciding what's best for children except the parents.

Having said that, no child of mine would enter any kind of highly competitive sport/activity until I knew, as their parent, that they were mentally mature enough to handle it (like, oh, I don't know... somewhere around 30-ish :) ).

It's like watching the Little League World Series. The loosing team always, ALWAYS ends up in tears. These kids are wound way too tight.

In general, I'd agree. But I would have some reservations:
Sadly, sometimes children need to be protected from their parents. in sports this is mainly protection from their parents' ambitions. Please dont get me wrong, this is not meant to be a general accusation of all parents of young professional athletes. I am sure the great majority of parents is very protective of their children. However, abusive parents-children relations in the area of profesional sports are not all that rare either.
additionally, I could imagine it is not that simple for a parent to assess the effect of competitions on their child. not out of malice, wrong ambitions or lack of care, just because it is such a hard question and probably the first time for them to face it. so why not have a sports federation, who has watched many kids and seen many competitions and their effect on the participants, draw a line somewhere. just as a measure of protection. I cant see the harm in that.

craighickman
01-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Sadly, sometimes children need to be protected from their parents. in sports this is mainly protection from their parents' ambitions. Please dont get me wrong, this is not meant to be a general accusation of all parents of young professional athletes. I am sure the great majority of parents is very protective of their children. However, abusive parents-children relations in the area of profesional sports are not all that rare either.
additionally, I could imagine it is not that simple for a parent to assess the effect of competitions on their child. not out of malice, wrong ambitions or lack of care, just because it is such a hard question and probably the first time for them to face it. so why not have a sports federation, who has watched many kids and seen many competitions and their effect on the participants, draw a line somewhere. just as a measure of protection. I cant see the harm in that.

I'd have to agree.

Let's face it, some parents are just not good at parenting.

kandi
01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Weir Leads after Short Program at 2008 U.S. Championships
(1/24/2008) - Three-time U.S. champion Johnny Weir (SC of New York) posted the best short program score (83.40) in a U.S. qualifying competition Friday night at the 2008 U.S. Championships in Saint Paul, Minn. He leads reigning U.S. champion Evan Lysacek (DuPage FSC), who sits second after scoring 82.05 points. Adam Rippon (SC of New York) won the junior men's competition while Jessica Rose Paetsch and Jon Nuss (Broadmoor SC) took gold in junior pairs.

K Sedia
01-26-2008, 12:02 AM
It seems that Johnny would win everything if all the competitions were just short programs. I remember the Olympics. :lipsrsealed:

Kirkus
01-26-2008, 02:08 AM

I'd have to agree.

Let's face it, some parents are just not good at parenting.

I hear ya. I really do. But who's to say those making these rules are any better equipped to decide for me what's best or acceptable for my child.

I appreciate that organizations are there looking out for abused children. Don't get me wrong. But I wonder, in the case of athletics especially, how it should be anyone's choice but the parent.

I don't know. I rank it right up there with the helmet and seat belts laws we have here in California. If you're riding a motorcycle you must wear a helmet. If you're driving in your car, you must wear a seat belt. That, in my opinion, is someone else (the government in this case) deciding that I'm too stupid to weigh the risks and make my own decisions.

But still, I understand what you both are saying.

kandi
01-26-2008, 08:43 AM
It seems that Johnny would win everything if all the competitions were just short programs. I remember the Olympics. :lipsrsealed:

choke, guffaw -- he does have a way of falling out of the Free Skates, doesn't he? I'm pulling for Evan to beat him out again.

dryrunguy
01-26-2008, 09:06 AM
choke, guffaw -- he does have a way of falling out of the Free Skates, doesn't he? I'm pulling for Evan to beat him out again.

Evan seems like a genuinely good guy unlike Johnny's high-maintenance, high drama queen persona, hell, he's probably getting his nails done as I type... And more practically, Even has a quad; Johnny doesn't. That can make a big difference on the international level.

Dry

kandi
01-26-2008, 07:33 PM
JW is planning to do a quad in his Long -- BUT - he skates last, right after Evan. So JW will know EXACTLY how much he has to do to win ---

rabbit
01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
JW is planning to do a quad in his Long -- BUT - he skates last, right after Evan. So JW will know EXACTLY how much he has to do to win ---

Ali skating?? Come on, I could see the analogy between boxing and tennis, but boxing and skating now? ;)

K Sedia
01-26-2008, 09:26 PM
The 14 year old won the ladies. Yay for Mirai Nagasu.

Poor old 18 year old Kimmie Meissner fell 3 times.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/73/fullj.5e4cafb5a44a7fd654d92bf5cdaecdb1/5e4cafb5a44a7fd654d92bf5cdaecdb1-getty-77664411ms021_2008_u_s_figu.jpg

verucasalt
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
The 14 year old won the ladies. Yay for Mirai Nagasu.

Poor old 18 year old Kimmie Meissner fell 3 times.

She's 18 now? :shocked:

I should really start watching skating again.

Kirkus
01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
I fell in love with Rachel Flatt tonight! What a sweet heart. She reminds me a lot of one of my daughters.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/73113294.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB04F61C7E6345E5D2 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

I liked that the top three appeared to be getting along and chumming around with each other. They also had very nice things to say about each other.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night!

kandi
01-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, Kimmie is OLD at 18 - wow. Three out of four of the top winning "ladies" are too young to go to World's -- just think what USA has to look forward to, for the Olympics!!

kandi
01-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Nagasu hangs on for ladies national title
Flatt wins free skate, silver; Wagner takes bronze

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com

(01/27/2008) - On a night when a new generation came to the fore, Mirai Nagasu overcame a fall on her opening double Axel and a third-place finish in the free skate to capture the U.S. title.
The ninth grader from Arcadia, Calif., became only the second skater in history to win the U.S. senior ladies crown the season after taking the junior title.

In a quandary for U.S. Figure Skating's International Committee, the top two finishers, Nagasu and Rachael Flatt, are both too young under International Skating Union (ISU) rules to compete at the 2008 World Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden.

With their gold and silver medalists unavailable, the committee named bronze medalist Ashley Wagner; fifth-place finisher Bebe Liang; and 2006 world champion Kimberly Meissner, who placed a devastating seventh in Saint Paul, to the 2008 world team.

"That's the best team we can have for this year," said Ron Hershberger, President of U.S. Figure Skating.

"We go forward. Obviously, we want all our kids to have good experiences. We will send a very strong team to world juniors [Nagasu, Flatt and Caroline Zhang]. Obviously, we look to our long-term goal, which is to have someone on the 2010 Olympic podium."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080127&content_id=42967&vkey=ice_news

mmmm8
01-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I just saw the men's results, and I won't give them away so that I don't ruin the taped viewing, but looks like it was something special.

European Championships finished today. Results:
http://www.isufs.org/events/fsevent00010320.htm

I don't follow the sport that closely, but who the hell is Tomas Verner? I don't think I've ever seen him and I'm not sure I have even heard of him.

EDIT... never mind, it's just me. He finished second last year

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
First, finally got caught up on the women's results... watched it this afternoon. Meissner is a red hot mess right now. It's really hard to watch. There's some speculation that she has struggled with injuries; I really hope she gets it all together soon. Glad to read she'll get another chance at the World Championships.

Second, Wagner was incredible. She was a thrill to watch.

Third, Johnny Weir isn't well. Seriously. In the opening promo, he seriously dissed Evan... After he skated his short program, while talking about his roommates, he mentioned how one drank too much and one had sex with too many people. Maybe they're just as messy as he is and won't care, but that's really rude and belies that some of Johnny's neurotransmitters might be firing beyond all cylindars.

Thanks for not spilling the beans, M8. :) I'm watching the men's final now...

Dry

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I just saw the men's results, and I won't give them away so that I don't ruin the taped viewing, but looks like it was something special.

European Championships finished today. Results:
http://www.isufs.org/events/fsevent00010320.htm

I don't follow the sport that closely, but who the hell is Tomas Verner? I don't think I've ever seen him and I'm not sure I have even heard of him.

EDIT... never mind, it's just me. He finished second last year

Don't know a thing about Verner.

Too bad for Meier... Costner skates so fast that I can't enjoy a thing she does. I know the judges like it, but when she skates, I worry she's going to lose her balance and accidentally crash into a car in the parking lot.

Dry

pamchenko
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Don't know a thing about Verner.
Well, for everyone's viewing pleasure, here is a video of Verner when he won the short program at Europeans last year, in one of the most infamous costumes of the season :cheesy:
qCb07fyvdzA

Too bad for Meier... Costner skates so fast that I can't enjoy a thing she does. I know the judges like it, but when she skates, I worry she's going to lose her balance and accidentally crash into a car in the parking lot.
Carolina's speed is amaaaaaaaazing. I love watching her, I have rarely seen a skater with that kind of speed, edge quality and control. Too bad she's such a friggin' head case.

verucasalt
01-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Nice to see Kostner put it all together. She's so hit or miss, I can never sit through her programs without wondering if she's going to fall.

mmmm8
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
First, finally got caught up on the women's results... watched it this afternoon. Meissner is a red hot mess right now. It's really hard to watch. There's some speculation that she has struggled with injuries; I really hope she gets it all together soon. Glad to read she'll get another chance at the World Championships.

Second, Wagner was incredible. She was a thrill to watch.

Third, Johnny Weir isn't well. Seriously. In the opening promo, he seriously dissed Evan... After he skated his short program, while talking about his roommates, he mentioned how one drank too much and one had sex with too many people. Maybe they're just as messy as he is and won't care, but that's really rude and belies that some of Johnny's neurotransmitters might be firing beyond all cylindars.

Thanks for not spilling the beans, M8. :) I'm watching the men's final now...

Dry

LOL, he was just joking that it felt like a Real World Confessional, but he didn't say it outright. He wasn't talking about actual people

I thought it was funny that the first thing his coach told him in Russian was that he was beautiful

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
LOL, he was just joking that it felt like a Real World Confessional, but he didn't say it outright. He wasn't talking about actual people

I thought it was funny that the first thing his coach told him in Russian was that he was beautiful

He was joking? Then I missed that. My apologies to both of Johnny Weir's fans. :cheesy:

Johnny is quite the study of all things Russian. That's one of the few things I actually like about him. And I think that's a big part of why he's a better overall skater than any of the other Americans. He's a very artistic guy.

All of this talk reminds me of how much I miss Yagudin... He's the last skater I can remember that I just really enjoyed watching everything about him.

I really liked watching Butyrskaya, but for completely different reasons. ;)

Dry

K Sedia
01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Can one still "defect?" Can "defect" be used when going from US to Russia?

Johnny would be happier in Russia.

mmmm8
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
He was joking? Then I missed that. My apologies to both of Johnny Weir's fans. :cheesy:

Johnny is quite the study of all things Russian. That's one of the few things I actually like about him. And I think that's a big part of why he's a better overall skater than any of the other Americans. He's a very artistic guy.

All of this talk reminds me of how much I miss Yagudin... He's the last skater I can remember that I just really enjoyed watching everything about him.

I really liked watching Butyrskaya, but for completely different reasons. ;)

Dry

Yeah, he didn't clarify it as a joke, I think he was just too caught up in emotions to put it coherently

Stephane Lambiel's latest programs are growing one me, and I actually like Weir. But really, I've enjoyed watching pairs and ice dancing much more than singles for years. And I like men's more than women's. Just more artistry and athleticism (kind of like ATP over WTA)

mmmm8
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
HOW did Weir get a lower score on the free skate than Lysacek? I knew the result watching the program and I could just not quite understand why Evan's score is higher.

He got a quad, dry!

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow! A tie! LOL! But Evan wins due to a higher score in the free skate. Wow.

Truth be told, I really feel Johnny is/was the better skater.

Dry

pamchenko
01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Johnny had exceedingly poor program layout. That counts for a lot in the new system.

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 05:49 PM
HOW did Weir get a lower score on the free skate than Lysacek? I knew the result watching the program and I could just not quite understand why Evan's score is higher.

He got a quad, dry!

He did, M8! Barely, barely, barely two-footed, but it's something to build on as he goes to world's. He'll definitely need it there. And it'll have to be a good one. It was cleaner than Evan's, too... But Evan did his in combination.

But Johnny was much cleaner on his landings...

It was really, really close... Think there was only 1.35 points separating them going into the free skate. It was close the whole way.

Dry

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Johnny had exceedingly poor program layout. That counts for a lot in the new system.

How so, pam? Teach us! Because I'm way out of my depth here.

Dry

Kirkus
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm not so sure he was joking in the "Truth Booth". What he said sounds exactly like something he would say.

Like when he said, "I'm better. If we both skate cleanly, I'll win."

And how telling that Evan congratulated Johnny, but when Johnny had the microphone it was all "me me me".

I don't like him. I'm never going to like him. And I'm glad he came in second.

pamchenko
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
How so, pam? Teach us! Because I'm way out of my depth here.

Dry
I'd rather get a look at the protocols before I go spouting my mouth off. :)

Oh good, how convenient, someone just sent them to me.

Hmmm, I assumed it would be a components thing, but Johnny beat Evan on components. Not by much, though, not even half a point. Evan beat Johnny on tech marks by about 1.5, though. And at a cursory glance, it seems to be because Evan had a higher base value and got more bonus points for elements done after the halfway point of his program. That 4T + 3T wasn't pretty, but Evan got credit for it and even though he lost value on execution, the base value of that combination is still so high that he profited on it. Also, Evan outscored Johnny on spins, plain and simple.

When I say "poor program layout", I mean not many transitions/difficult transitions (footwork between elements) and not making use of the ice. The boy skated around the same circle for about 2/3ds of his program. But none of that seems to have really hurt his score.

craighickman
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Hmmm, I assumed it would be a components thing, but Johnny beat Evan on components. Not by much, though, not even half a point. Evan beat Johnny on tech marks by about 1.5, though. And at a cursory glance, it seems to be because Evan had a higher base value and got more bonus points for elements done after the halfway point of his program. That 4T + 3T wasn't pretty, but Evan got credit for it and even though he lost value on execution, the base value of that combination is still so high that he profited on it.

When I say "poor program layout", I mean not many transitions/difficult transitions (footwork between elements) and not making use of the ice. The boy skated around the same circle for about 2/3ds of his program. But none of that seems to have really hurt his score.

Figure skating scores are formulaic and subjective at once.

Weir was the better skater tonight but he comes in second. No big surprise there.

pamchenko
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
No need point out the formulaicness and subjectivity of FS scores to me, Craig. I was a competitive ice dancer and am now a judge. I'm well familiar. :) It's impossible, in a competition this close, to flat out state that one was better than the other. There are too many arguments in the other direction.

dryrunguy
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Hmmm, I assumed it would be a components thing, but Johnny beat Evan on components. Not by much, though, not even half a point. Evan beat Johnny on tech marks by about 1.5, though. And at a cursory glance, it seems to be because Evan had a higher base value and got more bonus points for elements done after the halfway point of his program. That 4T + 3T wasn't pretty, but Evan got credit for it and even though he lost value on execution, the base value of that combination is still so high that he profited on it. Also, Evan outscored Johnny on spins, plain and simple.

What about Evan's straight-line footwork sequence? To me, a novice, it looked more difficult than Johnny's.

It was close, no doubt.

The rivalry is good. It'll keep things interesting. While I didn't see the European Championships, I'm skeptical that either could really match the top Europeans technically... The Europeans have their quads down to a T... And the top Japanese skalters might be even more sound technically than the Europeans.

dry

pamchenko
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
What about Evan's straight-line footwork sequence? To me, a novice, it looked more difficult than Johnny's.
Yeah, Evan's footwork got called a Level 4 and Johnny's only a Level 3; they both got positive execution marks but Evan's execution marks were higher than Johnny's. So that was a big points get for Evan, too.

The rivalry is good. It'll keep things interesting. While I didn't see the European Championships, I'm skeptical that either could really match the top Europeans technically... The Europeans have their quads down to a T... And the top Japanese skalters might be even more sound technically than the Europeans.

I haven't seen much of Euros yet, either, but Tomas and Brian are both generally very solid technically (Tomas has a little Crazy Carolina streak in him, but not too bad). And the Japanese, of course, too. Evan or Johnny would be lucky to medal at Worlds, but you never know.

zephblabs
02-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I haven't seen much of Euros yet, either, but Tomas and Brian are both generally very solid technically (Tomas has a little Crazy Carolina streak in him, but not too bad). And the Japanese, of course, too. Evan or Johnny would be lucky to medal at Worlds, but you never know.

I believe they have a good shot. Joubert is recovering from an illness (last i heard, his arteries were hardening :(), oda got a DUI in japan and is MIA for the whole season, verner did not skate too well at the grandprix, and lambiel is just being lambiel. only takahashi seems to be in good form, but he's having difficulties with his quad. so i think that there is no OVERWHELMING favorite (like last year, wherein joubert won every competition he entered), and that will make an exciting competition to watch.

(makes me feel better that i'm not the lone figure skating fan in this board)

kandi
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
The "big guys" notwithstanding, I truly enjoyed watching Adam Rippon, the Junior Champion, skate - and Keauna and Rockne, the Pairs Champions - WOW.

At Euros, I was truly surprised to see Verner put together two good skates and win the Championship -- Brian was ill? Hopefully he will be healthy for Worlds -- but in general I find the Europeans to be on-again, off-again -- never quite know what to expect from them. The Japanese is where I expect to see the winners - Takahashi in particular.

On to Four Continents - I can hardly wait!!!!

craighickman
02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
When is it on?

kandi
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Four Continents? Starts Feb 11 in Korea, broadcast March 2 on ESPN2