PDA

View Full Version : Look Who's Back. Its HFJW

Moose
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Excerpts from today's Philadelphia Inquirer interview (Johnnny is among the competitors this weekend at USA NAtionals):

"Not everyone can relate to me," he said, when asked if he felt he could help improve the sport's sagging TV ratings. "My personality is a little bit harsh for some people. So I'm definitely not going to be that person that can get the little girls plus their mothers plus their fathers plus their gay brothers to watch skating."

A lover of all things Russian, Weir was upset when, after that nation honored him with a "Love of Russia" award, the U.S. Olympic Committee and American skating officials failed to acknowledge it when he returned.

"I didn't see anything," he wrote. "I know it's interesting when Evan Lysacek attends a movie premiere, and I could pee myself with glee if Kimmie Meissner throws out one more pitch at a baseball game, but I actually won something! I am very proud of it and that's why I'm ranting, forgive me!

As for Lysacek, the Californian who ended Weir's streak of three straight U.S. titles a year ago in Spokane and has to be considered the men's favorite, Weir offhandedly dismissed him.

"It doesn't matter so much what he does in life, or on the ice, or what his results are," Weir said. "He's just another person that's there, in my opinion."

How about ice dancing, where Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto are gunning for a fifth straight U.S. title?

"There are people in figure skating who don't even view it as a real sport," he said.

Full article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/other_sports/20080124_Everything_changes_for_Weir_-_almost.html

Moose
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
http://media.philly.com/images/20080124_inq_weirz24z-b.JPG

K Sedia
01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Trash talk from someone dressed like that. :cheesy:

zephblabs
01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Trash talk from someone dressed like that. :cheesy:

well i think you haven't watched enough figure skating. :)

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh, Johnny Johnny Johnny.

What's going to be fun is when Johnny retires and takes over for Dick Button as a commentator.

"Oh. My. God. Would you just look at that outfit?"

"Oh honey. No no no! The green chiffon has got to go!"

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
USFS site says the men's short program is tonight... Supposed to be broadcast by NBC. But I'm not seeing anything.

Weir is weird.

Dry

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Do figure skaters get endorsement deals? They must, because they've gotta make a living somehow... But I'm sure they're probably on a pretty small scale.

If so, what endorsement deals does Johnny have? I'm trying to figure out who would actually want him...

Dry

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
USFS site says the men's short program is tonight... Supposed to be broadcast by NBC. But I'm not seeing anything.

Weir is weird.

Dry

NBCs website is showing Women on Saturday night and Men on Sunday night.

Scotty
01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
according to their site:

NEW YORK Jan. 16, 2008 NBC Sports announced today that Bob Costas and Dick Button will serve as the hosts of NBC's coverage when the nation's best skaters take the ice in St. Paul, Minn., for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in primetime on Saturday Jan. 26 (4-6 p.m., ET & 8-11 p.m., ET) and Sunday, Jan. 27 (7-9 p.m., ET).

Costas, NBC's Olympic host, and Button, the most recognizable voice in figure skating, will be joined by Tom Hammond (play-by-play), Scott Hamilton (analyst), Sandra Bezic (analyst), Tracy Wilson (analyst), Andrea Joyce (reporter), and Olympic Canadian pairs champions Jamie Sale and David Pelletier (analysts) to form the deepest talent roster ever assembled to broadcast the figure skating national championships. This is the first year of a multiyear agreement between NBC Sports and U.S. Figure Skating Association.

more at:
http://universalsports.nbcsports.com/articles/show/40412?sport_id=35

Since they'll tape delay the Saturday evening telecast for those of us on the West Coast, at least we'll have something to watch before the live men's AO final.

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Scotty and Kirkus!

Dry

Moose
01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Do figure skaters get endorsement deals? They must, because they've gotta make a living somehow... But I'm sure they're probably on a pretty small scale.

If so, what endorsement deals does Johnny have?

Dry

Swanson Hungry Man Dinners?

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Oh please, Moose... That's too butch. Swanson Hungry Man Dinners?

Try Midol and Vagisil.

Dry

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 03:03 PM

:shocked:

Moose
01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh please, Moose... That's too butch. Swanson Hungry Man Dinners?

Try Midol and Vagisil.

Dry

It's a new marketing campaign, Dry. The slogan is "For Men Who Like Meat....And Lots Of It"

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 03:07 PM

If so, what endorsement deals does Johnny have? I'm trying to figure out who would actually want him...

Dry

New endorsement deal:

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm seeing a little red X, kirkus.

Dry

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
It's a new marketing campaign, Dry. The slogan is "For Men Who Like Meat....And Lots Of It"

Fine, Moose. But they probably would have had better luck with Larry Craig.

Dry

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm seeing a little red X, kirkus.

Dry

Fixed. (so to speak.)

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Fixed. (so to speak.)

As in spayed or neutered, kirkus?

I hope Tommy doesn't want that back...

Dry

zephblabs
01-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Dry

endorsements for figure skaters are not that common, well except if your michelle kwan (personally, i'd rather gouge my eyes than watch another kwan program).

most figure skaters make money from tours, but with the waning popularity of figure skating in the US, it is getting harder. also, some events do have prize money, and ISU (the governing body of speen, short track, and figure skating) does give monetary awards to the top 5 skaters of the season.

However the popularity of skating has exponentially increased in Japan and South Korea, and fans there are willing to shell out money to watch top figure skaters.

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
endorsements for figure skaters are not that common, well except if your michelle kwan (personally, i'd rather gouge my eyes than watch another kwan program).

most figure skaters make money from tours, but with the waning popularity of figure skating in the US, it is getting harder. also, some events do have prize money, and ISU (the governing body of speen, short track, and figure skating) does give monetary awards to the top 5 skaters of the season.

However the popularity of skating has exponentially increased in Japan and South Korea, and fans there are willing to shell out money to watch top figure skaters.

Thank you!!

zephblabs
01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Thank you!!

and i thought i'll get blasted! lol.

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Not from me. LOL.

:)

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 05:44 PM

I don't know why I ever followed figured skating. I haven't seen a single skater that I really liked in recent years, except maybe for Sasha Cohen, who is BY FAR the biggest choker in all of sports. It's just a bunch of jumping and arm flailing that is somehow interpreted by a select few as "art".

But I like the fact that it's a sport that ultimately boils down to 4 minutes. Talk about do or die. Imagine if the Federer/Djokovic match had to be decided in the first 4 minutes.

Dry

suliso
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
But I like the fact that it's a sport that ultimately boils down to 4 minutes. Talk about do or die. Imagine if the Federer/Djokovic match had to be decided in the first 4 minutes.

May be you should watch skiing then. It's only 2.5 minutes :cheesy:

oohsalmon
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
May be you should watch skiing then. It's only 2.5 minutes :cheesy:

Or vault. It's only like 5 seconds. :p

Kirkus
01-25-2008, 05:56 PM
How long does it take for a bowling ball to reach the pins?

That might be a good sport for you to follow, Dry.

dryrunguy
01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
How long does it take for a bowling ball to reach the pins?

That might be a good sport for you to follow, Dry.

Nah... Too many drunks. How about Olympic high diving?

Dry

zephblabs
01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
he's ahead of cutie evan lysacek
http://www.voanews.com/english/images/ap_Olympic_US_figure_skater_Evan_Lysacek_250.jpg