PDA

View Full Version : 20 Answers - 2008 Australian Open

oohsalmon
01-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Here is the answer key to 20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open. Enjoy.

20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open

Who will be the champion:
a. Men's Singles (1 point)
b. Women's Singles (1 point)
Name a player who will lose in the fourth round of a singles draw. (2 points)
Name a chair umpire who will preside over one of the singles finals. (2 points)
Bagels:
a. Will there be more 6-0 sets in the men's or women's singles tournament? (1 point)
b. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the men's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 21 through five days
c. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the women's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 15 through five days
Name a player who will have a photo of himself changing shirts posted on the Yahoo! Tennis Photo Wire during the tournament. (2 points) Nikolay Davydenko, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Rafael Nadal
Which country's players will win more total matches: Australia or Austria? (1 point)
-enko party! Which of the following values will be the greatest (choose one of the three): (2 points)
a. Maria Kirilenko's win total + Julia Vakulenko's win total
b. Alona Bondarenko's win total + Kateryna Bondarenko's win total
c. Nikolay Davydenko's win total
Name a rematch of a match from Rome 2007 which will occur in the third round or later of a singles draw. (2 points)
Put the following clothing sponsors in order of the number of singles quarterfinalists they will represent, from most to fewest (do not denote ties--credit will be given): Adidas, Nike, Lacoste, Reebok, Other. (3 points)
Which player from each country or region will win the most singles matches?
a. United States (2 points) 5 Remain: James Blake, Sam Querrey, Vince Spadea, Serena Williams, Venus Williams
b. Russia (2 points) 9 Remain: Nikolay Davydenko, Anna Chakvetadze, Elena Dementieva, Maria Kirilenko, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Ekaterina Makarova, Nadia Petrova, Maria Sharapova, Mikhail Youzhny
c. Serbia (2 points) 4 Remain: Novak Djokovic, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Janko Tipsarevic
d. Italy (2 points) Francesca Schiavone
e. France (2 points) 4 Remain: Richard Gasquet, Sebastien Grosjean, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
f. Austria (2 points) Stefan Koubek
g. Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic, Slovakia) (2 points)3 Remain: Tomas Berdych, Daniela Hantuchova, Nicole Vaidisova
h. Former Soviet Republics (excluding Russia) (2 points) Victoria Azarenka
i. Scandinavia (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) (2 points) 2 Remain: Jarkko Nieminen, Caroline Wozniacki
j. Asia (including Israel, not including Russia or Cyprus) (2 points) 3 Remain: Hsieh Su-Wei, Li Na, Sania Mirza
k. South America (2 points)3 Remain: Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Monaco, David Nalbandian
Living in the Shadow:
a. Which Spanish woman will win the most singles matches? (1 point)Virginia Ruano Pascual
b. Which Belgian man will win the most singles matches? (1 point) Kristof Vliegen
Winning behavior--Predict whether the following will be done by the men's champ, women's champ, both, or neither:
a. Dropping their racquet (1 point)
b. Falling to the ground/their knees (1 point)
c. Crying during the ceremony (1 point)
d. Congratulating the runner-up's coach/entourage. (1 point)
e. Thanking the sponsors by name (2 points)
Will the women's singles champion be wearing earrings that hang down from her ears during her first match? (2 points)
What is the deepest round an unseeded singles player will reach? (2 points)
How many singles matches will be decided by retirement or walkover? (2 points)
Wild Cards:
a. Which wild card entrant will make it deepest into a singles draw? (2 points) Denis Istomin, Alun Jones, Jesse Levin, Jessica Moore
b. In the last round in which either is present, will there be a greater number of remaining wild cards or qualifiers? (1 point) Qualifiers
Who will have the most singles wins of all players with a family name consisting of...
a. ...one syllable? (2 points) 3 Remain: James Blake, Hsieh Su-Wei, Li Na
b. ...two syllables? (2 points)15 Remain: Tomas Berdych, Marin Cilic, David Ferrer, Richard Gasquet, Sebastien Grosjean, Justine Henin, Lleyton Hewitt, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Sania Mirza, Rafael Nadal, Sam Querrey, Jo-Wilifried Tsonga, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Mikhail Youzhny
c. ...three syllables? (2 points) 15 Remain: Marcos Baghdatis, Casey Dellacqua, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Fernando Gonzalez, Jelena Jankovic, Phillipp Kohlschreiber, Sabine Lisicki, Juan Monaco, Jarkko Nieminen, Nadia Petrova, Agnieszka Radwanska, Vince Spadea, Katarina Srebotnik
d. ...four syllables? (2 points) 13 Remain: Anna Chakvetadze, Nikolay Davydenko, Marta Domachowska, Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Maria Kirilenko, Ekaterina Makarova, David Nalbandian, Maria Sharapova, Janko Tipsarevic, Nicole Vaidisova, Caroline Wozniacki
e. ...five or more syllables? (2 points) 2 Remain: Elena Dementieva, Virginia Ruano Pascual
Name a player who will play two or more matches (singles and doubles) in Margaret Court Arena (1 point, and an extra point awarded for each match beyond the third) Lindsay Davenport, Daniela Hantuchova (3), Amelie Mauresmo, Shahar Pe'er, Jo-Wilifried Tsonga
How many of the six doubles champions will have been born in the Southern Hemisphere? (2 points)
Will the mixed doubles champions both hail from the same country? (1 point)Tiebreak: How many total sets will be played in the 127 men's singles matches combined?

oohsalmon
01-15-2008, 03:41 AM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7480/vliegenoz2.jpg

Vlast Vleft

With Steve Darcis, Xavier Malisse, and Olivier Rochus all falling in the first round, winning one match was enough to assure Kristof Vliegen the title of best Belgian man. While reviled in the Suicide Pools, Vliegen is adored in the world of 20 Questions, as the first time he was at all relevant, he helped several lucky players lock up the first points of the 2008 Australian Open contest.

The answer to Question #11b.: Kristof Vliegen

oohsalmon
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8659/vrpli0.png

Doin' Fine on Her Own

Even with Paola Suarez out of the picture, Virginia Ruano Pascual made it through to the third round, the only Spanish woman to do so.

The five who picked her deserve major props.

The answer to Question #11a.: Virginia Ruano Pascual

oohsalmon
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/22/fullj.764e1146ccd502ea314ea91a773f9c00/764e1146ccd502ea314ea91a773f9c00-getty-tennis-aus-open-ferrero.jpg

WOOOT!!!!!!!!! SPRING BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sick puppies over at Getty/Yahoo! decided we needed to see a picture of JCF changing shirts (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=764e1146ccd502ea314ea91a773f9c00-getty-tennis-aus-open-ferrero&prov=getty), which is odd because he didn't have to break a sweat vs. Alun Jones.

A correct answer to Question #5.: Juan Carlos Ferrero

oohsalmon
01-16-2008, 11:25 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7540/koubekaustriavo1.png

Kou?

When I decided to make Austria one of the countries for question #10, I figured it was big enough because they had three very legit threats to make it a few rounds into the tournament, namely Jurgen Melzer, Sybille Bammer, and Tamira Paszek. The contestants thought the same, all splitting their votes between the aforementioned three. But the fourth, Stefan Koubek, is the last from Österreich, and the only in the third round.

The answer to Question #10f: Stefan Koubek

oohsalmon
01-16-2008, 11:31 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4183/azarenkasovietxe0.png

Czarenka

The loss of Denis Istomin caused the sealing of three questions, the first of which is Victoria Azarenka's coronation as the best of the Former Soviet Republics (minus Russia). The sole Belarussienne outlasted Latvians, Lithuanians, Uzbekistanis, Ukrainians, and Estonians.

The answer to Question #10h.: Victoria Azarenka

oohsalmon
01-17-2008, 12:02 AM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8010/wildcardphotosue2.png

Wild 'n' Out

Not that spectacular a tournament by the wild cards. The fourteen of them won four first round matches, and those four first round winners all crashed out in the second round. Those four were Denis Istomin, Jesse Levine, Alun Jones, and Jessica Moore.

Oh, and to the folks over at AustralianOpen.com: you know for weeks in advance that these WCs are going to play. Should be plenty of time to find a photo of them.

The answers to Question #16a.: Denis Istomin, Alun Jones, Jesse Levine, Jessica Moore

oohsalmon
01-17-2008, 12:12 AM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5961/25904470pu6.png

Q Avenues

With two qualifiers (Hsieh Su-Wei and Sabine Lisicki) already through to the third round, there are guaranteed to be more qualifiers than wild cards in the last round with either. Nice job qualifiers, but mostly the WCs just stunk.

The answer to Question #16b.: Qualifiers

beaujarkko
01-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Whoo I got my first two points with Alun Jones and qualifiers... which is good, cause I was worried I might end up with 0. :rolleyes:

oohsalmon
01-17-2008, 04:25 AM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5356/schiavoneitalyuh8.png

Still Standing Among the Ruins

She shared the title with four other Italians at the US Open, but in Melbourne, Francesca Schiavone is all alone as the last standing Italian.

How did she get the others to lose before her? As the example above shows, she simply scared the crap out of all of them.

The answer to Question #10d.: Francesca Schiavone

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 03:09 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080118/capt.mel19501180700.australia_open_tennis_mel195.j pg

Cooling Off

A second Spaniard was photographed changing his shirt by the Yahoo! folks, this time second seed Rafael Nadal. I wonder if Virginia Ruano Pascual will get in on the action tomorrow. Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=mel19501180700.australia_open_tennis_me l195&prov=ap)

A correct answer to Question #5.: Rafael Nadal

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 03:45 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/a4/fullj.52d5b23a07c7175b4cebef6ce3be723e/52d5b23a07c7175b4cebef6ce3be723e-getty-78841311mb010_australian_op.jpg

Ladies Love Bad Boys

To complement all the negative press he's been generating, I hear Nikolay Davydenko is releasing a (tasteful) nude calendar.

Congrats, Tscott!

An answer to Question #5.: Nikolay Davydenko

mmmm8
01-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Ladies Love Bad Boys

To complement all the negative press he's been generating, I hear Nikolay Davydenko is releasing a (tasteful) nude calendar.

Congrats, Tscott!

An answer to Question #5.: Nikolay Davydenko

He really has beefed up a bit

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 04:20 AM
He really has beefed up a bit

I can hear you licking your lips from here.

mmmm8
01-18-2008, 04:24 AM
I can hear you licking your lips from here.

Believe it or not, I was actually looking at him as a tennis player. Imagine that :rolleyes:

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Believe it or not, I was actually looking at him as a tennis player. Imagine that :rolleyes:

I forgot that your lust toward players is only to the one who is on court with Kohlschreiber now.

Shall I retrieve the heart? :cheesy:

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Rowr, Nikolay! Maybe he's only two leauges down from his ridiculously hot wife. (Instead of five).

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 04:33 AM
I forgot that your lust toward players is only to the one who is on court with Kohlschreiber now.

Shall I retrieve the heart? :cheesy:

Seriously, when is Roddick going to take his shirt off? I thought that was money in the bank for that question. Take it off, jerkface!

(Man, I never thought I would be rooting for Andy Roddick (who is my second least favorite ATP player) to strip.)

mmmm8
01-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Seriously, when is Roddick going to take his shirt off? I thought that was money in the bank for that question. Take it off, jerkface!

(Man, I never thought I would be rooting for Andy Roddick (who is my second least favorite ATP player) to strip.)

Who's your first?

Salmon, I may retrieve the hearts I have. You don't want to go there.

kayce
01-18-2008, 04:38 AM
It will happen Charlie... I just know it:)

I'm waiting for it.

I've been waiting for you to put up those other pictures!

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Who's your first?

Blake. :)

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 04:43 AM
It will happen Charlie... I just know it:)

I'm waiting for it.

Me? What pictures?

mmmm8
01-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Blake. :)

I had no idea! What has James ever done to you? Other than have the record he does against Kolya?

kayce
01-18-2008, 04:46 AM
no, i was waiting for those pics of rafa and Davy. Sorry bout the confusion! My typing gets sloppy when I get this little sleep. lol

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 04:46 AM

:)

If you ever see any there, feel free to link to 'em in one of the 20 Q's threads...I don't want to miss any.

kayce
01-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I will. I was just going to do it in the morning if you hadn't yet. Been really busy with homework and such tonight.

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 04:55 AM
I had no idea! What has James ever done to you? Other than have the record he does against Kolya?

I feel like he's a brain dead waste of talent who recieves an insane amount of credit from fans and commentators and then disappoints over and over again. His gunshot-coma-gunshot-coma style of play bores me to tears. Plus, giving more credit to American players simply because they're American bothers me, so I tend to actually root against them. (Sorry, gang!).

His record against Kolya annoys me too, but that has nothing to do with it. :)

mmmm8
01-18-2008, 05:00 AM
I feel like he's a brain dead waste of talent who recieves an insane amount of credit from fans and commentators and then disappoints over and over again. His gunshot-coma-gunshot-coma style of play bores me to tears. Plus, giving more credit to American players simply because they're American bothers me, so I tend to actually root against them. (Sorry, gang!).

His record against Kolya annoys me too, but that has nothing to do with it. :)

Aww, so what you hate isn't James but the hype!

It's not his fault he's overhyped. He's just American and pretty

Charlie02123
01-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Aww, so what you hate isn't James but the hype!

It's not his fault he's overhyped. He's just American and pretty

No, I hate both. :(

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I put up the remaining possible answers for the questions of best by country/region and by syllable, as well as those who have played twice or more on MCA, or are slated to today (I'll double check tomorrow to see if the schedule was shifted).

Let me know if anything looks off (especially on the syllable question).:)

JTContinental
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Looks like Charlie will never get to see Roddick take his shirt off now.

Spadea is also still in the draw for the Americans.

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Looks like Charlie will never get to see Roddick take his shirt off now.

Spadea is also still in the draw for the Americans.

As is Querrey. Stupid me.

oohsalmon
01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.salmonellablog.com/Flag_of_Australia.svg.png

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/local/suminst/eei06/upsidedownmap.jpg

Down Under on Top

Australia showed up with many, and Austria few, but the real difference was that the Austrians stunk up the joint. They're all out, amassing only five wins, while the Australians have ten and counting. Good show, mates.

The answer to Question #6.: Australia

oohsalmon
01-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm feeling lazy, so here is just a list of some recently determined answers :):

Fourth Round Losers: Marta Domachowska, Caroline Wozniacki, Maria Kirilenko, Nadia Petrova, Hsieh Su-Wei, Elena Dementieva, Casey Dellacqua, Nicole Vaidisova, Tomas Berdych, Marin Cilic, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Richard Gasquet, Nikolay Davydenko, Phillipp Kohlschreiber, Paul Henri Mathieu.

Orders of Sponsors in QF: Nike (6), Adidas (5), Other (4), Reebok (1), Lacoste (0)

-enko Party: Nikolay Davydenko (4) = Kirilenko (4) + Vakulenko (0)

Best Czechoslovakian: Daniela Hantuchova

Best Scandinavian: Jarkko Nieminen

Best Asian: Hsieh Su-Wei

Best South American: Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Monaco, David Nalbandian

One Syllable: James Blake

Five Syllables: Elena Dementieva, Virginia Ruano Pascual and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

2 Matches on MCA: Amelie Mauresmo and TBA

pamchenko
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Best Scandinavian: Jarkko Nieminen
I'm not in 20 Qs, but I must point out that, technically, Finland is not considered a Scandinavian country. Nordic, yes; Scandinavian, no (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries).

Finland was once part of Sweden, and has been significantly influenced by Swedish culture, but it is not geographically part of Scandinavia nor is Finnish related to the Scandinavian languages.

Just FYI. ;)

oohsalmon
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Tsonga clinched best with two syllables. Whoduhthunkit?

The last round an unseeded player reaches is the final. How AO.

oohsalmon
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Some more answers:

Best Frenchman: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Best Russian: Maria Sharapova

Best American: James Blake, Serena Williams, Venus Williams

Best Two Syllables: Jo-Wilifried Tsonga

Best Three Syllables: Novak Djokovic

Two matches on MCA: Jonathan Erlich, Mark Knowles, Eric Butorac, Latisha Chan, Victoria Azarenka, Zheng Zie, Cara Black, Amelie Mauresmo, Virginia Ruano Pascual, Anabel Medina Garrigues, Jo-Wilifried Tsonga.

Three matches on MCA: Yan Zi, Nathalie Dechy, Mahesh Bhupathi, Sania Mirza, Paul Hanley

Four matches on MCA: Andy Ram, Shahar Peer

Best Serb is still up for grabs. Best four syllables and earrings will be decided in the women's final.