PDA

View Full Version : Young Golfers Should "Lynch" Tiger per Anchor

Ti-Amie
01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Anchor apologizes for 'lynch Tiger' remarks
Golf Channel's Tilghman said young players should 'lynch Tiger Woods'

Golf Channel's Tilghman said young players should 'lynch Tiger Woods'
Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman has made a round of apologies after saying that young golf players should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley" as a way to compete with the most dominant player in the sport's history, ESPN reported Tuesday.
Tilghman made the remarks during Friday's telecast of the PGA Tour's opening event at the Mercedes-Benz Championship.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22556443/

GVGirl
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
When will people ever learn.:(

nelslus
01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Truly disgusting. I am otherwise beyond words for the moment.

oploskoffie
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Does Don Imus need someone on his show to talk about golf any time soon? What a sick, stupid thing to say.

bea26
Something tells me if he really thought about what was about to come out of his mouth he never would've said it. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Moose
What's shocking is the frequency with which these things occur. Every couple of months, another sports figure, either athlete or commentator, makes the most idiotic statement.

nelslus
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Something tells me if he really thought about what was about to come out of his mouth he never would've said it. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

.....This is a woman......

craighickman
01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
And people in the Election 2008 thread wonder why many of us think America isn't ready for Obama, whether he wins or not.

GVGirl
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
And people in the Election 2008 thread wonder why many of us think America isn't ready for Obama, whether he wins or not.

As you say- Say it again.

munchin
01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
:wall: What a horrible, disgusting thing to say.

patrick
01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Except for the commentator being an idiot, no comment.

evil_juju
01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
wow...

I'm speechless. :lipsrsealed:

verucasalt
01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Just awful and an apology is not enough. This is not the kind of comment that just slips out. It reveals a lot about the person saying it.

aedra1119
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
When will people ever learn.:(

*sigh*

I want to say "unbelievable", but it's not.

Charlie02123
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I forgot which top tennis writer said recently that Roddick should pull a Tonya Harding on Federer.

It's the word 'lynch' that's so horrible about this. Unfortunately, maybe the person happens to use that word frequently and still would have if Tiger was Caucasian, in which case this probably wouldn't be an issue.

She'll never get her foot out of her mouth for this one.

craighickman
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I forgot which top tennis writer said recently that Roddick should pull a Tonya Harding on Federer.

It's the word 'lynch' that's so horrible about this. Unfortunately, maybe the person happens to use that word frequently and still would have if Tiger was Caucasian, in which case this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Yes it would.

rabbit
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
By the way, how can lynching happen in a back alley? I thought the whole point was that it is done in front of a huge crowd in a public place.

Kirkus
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Try as it might to remain hidden, every now and then the racism in this country shines brightly.

Pathetic.

Apology not accepted.

Foxykhat
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Try as it might to remain hidden, every now and then the racism in this country shines brightly.

Pathetic.

Apology not accepted.

Co-sign

Foxy

Jay
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Just awful and an apology is not enough. This is not the kind of comment that just slips out. It reveals a lot about the person saying it.

co-sign

Pathetic.

Apology not accepted.
EXACTLY

rabbit
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Pathetic.

No question about it.

Darcy
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM

It's disastrous and extremely hurtful. And I'm sure she regrets it. But I don't automatically jump to conclusions on where this came from...it's sounds terrible, but just about everyone I know has said something that sounds terrible and not meant it the way it came out.

What Imus said is completely different, IMO. There is no mistaking the slur intended in his comment...

Charlie02123
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
It's disastrous and extremely hurtful. And I'm sure she regrets it. But I don't automatically jump to conclusions on where this came from...it's sounds terrible, but just about everyone I know has said something that sounds terrible and not meant it the way it came out.

What Imus said is completely different, IMO. There is no mistaking the slur intended in his comment...

I agree.

This reminds me of how so many people say "That's gay." They aren't neccesarily trying to be offensive (although some are). Mostly they're GROSSLY uneducated. I make a point of letting them know how horrifically offensive it is, but I try not to judge their character until I see if they repeat it or learn from it.

Charlie02123
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes it would.

You don't think it's tied to race? Is it the word 'lynch' that you find unacceptable, no matter who it's applied to? (I would tend to agree with that, although I still don't think this would be even close to as big of a problem if Tiger were Causasian. I feel validated in that opinion by how many posters here referred to this as a racist comment.)

jjnow
01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree.

This reminds me of how so many people say "That's gay." They aren't neccesarily trying to be offensive (although some are). Mostly they're GROSSLY uneducated. I make a point of letting them know how horrifically offensive it is, but I try not to judge their character until I see if they repeat it or learn from it.
"That's gay," while going to a realm beyond annoying, really has no historical connotation.

Saying a black man should be lynched in a back alley is something abhorrently different to my ears.

Maybe she had a slip up with words. But I'm inclined to think because she said exactly what she said about who she said it about (figure that out), it is quite revealing.

jj

craighickman
01-08-2008, 04:19 PM
You don't think it's tied to race? Is it the word 'lynch' that you find unacceptable, no matter who it's applied to? (I would tend to agree with that, although I still don't think this would be even close to as big of a problem if Tiger were Causasian. I feel validated in that opinion by how many posters here referred to this as a racist comment.)

Not only Black people were lynched. You could be lynched for being considered a lover of Black people. Therefore, lynching was a racist act of violence no matter who was hanging on the tree. If Tiger weren't Black, suggesting that he be lynched would still be a problem.

Charlie02123
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Not only Black people were lynched. You could be lynched for being considered a lover of Black people. Therefore, lynching was a racist act of violence no matter who was hanging on the tree. If Tiger weren't Black, suggesting that he be lynched would still be a problem.

Fair enough. I'm glad I asked for clarification.

Kirkus
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
The fact that someone would use the term "lynch" in this context (or really any context), over the public airwaves or in private, shows how common and acceptable such feelings/beliefs are.

I expect we'll hear within the next few days an announcement that Kelly Tilghman is entering voluntary counseling.