PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Questions: 20 Q's 2008 Australian Open

oohsalmon
01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open is definitely the most aggrevating, ballbusting version of 20 Questions to date.

Any Questions? Comments? Hateful diatribes? Put them here. I'm all yours :cheesy:.

oohsalmon
01-06-2008, 11:23 PM
For your convenience, here are the questions once more:

20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open

Who will be the champion:
a. Men's Singles (1 point)
b. Women's Singles (1 point)
Name a player who will lose in the fourth round of a singles draw. (2 points)
Name a chair umpire who will preside over one of the singles finals. (2 points)
Bagels:
a. Will there be more 6-0 sets in the men's or women's singles tournament? (1 point)
b. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the men's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points)
c. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the women's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points)
Name a player who will have a photo of himself changing shirts posted on the Yahoo! Tennis Photo Wire during the tournament. (2 points)
Which country's players will win more total matches: Australia or Austria? (1 point)
-enko party! Which of the following values will be the greatest (choose one of the three): (2 points)
a. Maria Kirilenko's win total + Julia Vakulenko's win total
b. Alona Bondarenko's win total + Kateryna Bondarenko's win total
c. Nikolay Davydenko's win total
Name a rematch of a match from Rome 2007 which will occur in the third round or later of a singles draw. (2 points)
Put the following clothing sponsors in order of the number of singles quarterfinalists they will represent, from most to fewest (do not denote ties--credit will be given): Adidas, Nike, Lacoste, Reebok, Other. (3 points)
Which player from each country or region will win the most singles matches?
a. United States (2 points)
b. Russia (2 points)
c. Serbia (2 points)
d. Italy (2 points)
e. France (2 points)
f. Austria (2 points)
g. Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic, Slovakia) (2 points)
h. Former Soviet Republics (excluding Russia) (2 points)
i. Scandinavia (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) (2 points)
j. Asia (including Israel, not including Russia or Cyprus) (2 points)
k. South America (2 points)
Living in the Shadow:
a. Which Spanish woman will win the most singles matches? (1 point)
b. Which Belgian man will win the most singles matches? (1 point)
Winning behavior--Predict whether the following will be done by the men's champ, women's champ, both, or neither:
a. Dropping their racquet (1 point)
b. Falling to the ground/their knees (1 point)
c. Crying during the ceremony (1 point)
d. Congratulating the runner-up's coach/entourage. (1 point)
e. Thanking the sponsors by name (2 points)
Will the women's singles champion be wearing earrings that hang down from her ears during her first match? (2 points)
What is the deepest round an unseeded singles player will reach? (2 points)
How many singles matches will be decided by retirement or walkover? (2 points)
Wild Cards:
a. Which wild card entrant will make it deepest into a singles draw? (2 points)
b. In the last round in which either is present, will there be a greater number of remaining wild cards or qualifiers? (1 point)
Who will have the most singles wins of all players with a family name consisting of...
a. ...one syllable? (2 points)
b. ...two syllables? (2 points)
c. ...three syllables? (2 points)
d. ...four syllables? (2 points)
e. ...five or more syllables? (2 points)
Name a player who will play two or more matches (singles and doubles) in Margaret Court Arena (1 point, and an extra point awarded for each match beyond the third)
How many of the six doubles champions will have been born in the Southern Hemisphere? (2 points)
Will the mixed doubles champions both hail from the same country? (1 point)
Tiebreak: How many total sets will be played in the 127 men's singles matches combined?

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
ok i really cant think of any 5 syllable names....

Jay
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Tscott is trying to make everyone think he came up with a question in 20 q's. That poor delusional boy.:p

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Tscott is trying to make everyone think he came up with a question in 20 q's. That poor delusional boy.:p

Lies...he is corrupting chat....

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
ok i really cant think of any 5 syllable names....

De-Men-Ti-E-va!!! is that right...that would mean 5!!

its a shame she sucks down under (not the way your thinking you pervs)

oohsalmon
01-06-2008, 11:31 PM

It's iffy...but I'll let it slide ;).

Jay
01-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Lies...he is corrupting chat....
you wish. pssh.

you poor, poor delusional child :p

Jay
01-06-2008, 11:36 PM

As I told you in chat, it's actually four.

De-men-tie-va

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
As I told you in chat, it's actually four.

De-men-tie-va

I realize that i forgot about the Russian pronunciation...whore

Jay
01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I realize that i forgot about the Russian pronunciation...whore

Hey! no name calling! :tisk:

skank

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey! no name calling! :tisk:

skank

What was that...did i just read a whore calling me a skank...

hooker

oohsalmon
01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Children, please...

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Children, please...

haha dont worry...this will end in chat on another day....thursday perhaps....

mmmm8
01-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, with that question, we are talking English spelling, right? Not when pronounced. That's a really difficult question anyway

Tscott415
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, with that question, we are talking English spelling, right? Not when pronounced. That's a really difficult question anyway

I said that to him in chat...your response will include something along the lines of linguistic major blah blah blah lienent with the answers for this

oohsalmon
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I said that to him in chat...your response will include something along the lines of linguistic major blah blah blah lienent with the answers for this

:p :hyst:

But yeah, for a name like Dementieva, which is routinely pronounced two different ways in the tennis community, it would be an acceptable answer for both four and five+ syllables. But one person can't use it twice.

Drop-shot
01-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Za-ka-pa-lo-va

beaujarkko
01-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Buh-luh-aye-kuh-euh? :D

mmmm8
01-07-2008, 04:59 AM
:p :hyst:

But yeah, for a name like Dementieva, which is routinely pronounced two different ways in the tennis community, it would be an acceptable answer for both four and five+ syllables. But one person can't use it twice.

Ugh, I hate flexible answers choices. They always end up less flexible when they seem. In the end, you'll give me something like, "no, that doesn't count as purple!"

Jay
01-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Ugh, I hate flexible answers choices. They always end up less flexible when they seem. In the end, you'll give me something like, "no, that doesn't count as purple!"
Yeah, like Venus "not" wearing pink at the USO...or who was the other person we were arguing for? I forget.

oohsalmon
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, like Venus "not" wearing pink at the USO...or who was the other person we were arguing for? I forget.

Jarmila Gajdosova? WHO NO ONE WAS EVER GOING TO CHOOSE

Unlike the color, though, I'll be able to tell people if their answers are not going to work before the deadline.

And credit was given for Venus in pink...

oohsalmon
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
By family name I mean whatever the chair umpire would say when the player wins a game, and what is found in capital letters in most draws.

For example:

Juan Ignacio Chela's family name is "Chela";
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario's family name is "Sanchez-Vicario";
Na Li/Li Na's family name thankfully doesn't matter, since both are one syllable.

And no, Lindsay's family name is not "Davenport-Leach."

oohsalmon
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
To all you wonderful visitors from the Wertheim Mailbag:

20 Questions is the only other contest aside from the Suicide Pools that you can play here for the Australian Open. So please swing on by and give it a shot!

20 Questions is only a one-time time commitment, and is great because it's something to keep following the tournament closely after getting eliminated from the Suicide Pool. It's a guaranteed two weeks of fun. No getting bounced from this party!

beaujarkko
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I always manage to bounce myself from contention within about two choices, lol. I'm predicting the same amazingness with the choices I've made thus far :rolleyes:

That being said, was there any chance of my not participating? None in the slightest.

oohsalmon
01-12-2008, 07:38 AM
An answer to a good question:

"Thanking the sponsors by name" can mean thanking "Garnier" or "Kia,"--doesn't have to be thanking "Peter Wellansby, from Kia"

mmmm8
01-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Question number 6: Does it pertain to singles only?

oohsalmon
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Question number 6: Does it pertain to singles only?

Yup. Only questions that pertain to doubles are 18, 19, and 20.