PDA

View Full Version : I'm clearing out some games

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I think it's time to clean out some of the games... those that don't seem to work properly, those that are cheatable, and those that aren't very popular.

I've used the "Your 5 Favorites Games" thread to whittle this down to the ones listed below. If your favorite is on the list to be booted, make your argument here to keep it.
MahJong will be replaced with a different one.

KEEP:
Slingo Para Dice
Fruit Smash
Mahjong (New)
Yahtzee
Tetris
Pool Jam
Frogger
Alpha Force
Connect 4
Simon
Asteroids
Ball of Madness
Pac Man
Breakout
Chopper Challenge
Bug
Space Invaders
Deuces Wild
Golf
Black Jack
Battleship
Solitare
Hexxagon
Moon Lander
Bowling
Deal or No Deal

BOOTED:
123 Go
Centipede
Cribbage
Smack the Penguin
Pinball
SD-Pong

I'm not saying we can only have 20 games, but if we kill those that don't work and aren't popular, we can add some new games to try. It just seems wasteful to keep games that don't work or aren't popular.

JTContinental
10-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I will say that getting rid of SD-Pong will give me a lot more free time! ;)

bea26
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Bless you for keeping mahjong. And bless those who enjoy Ball of Madness.

suliso
10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Kirkus, it would be cool if you could replace "smack the penguin" with this more advanced "penguin" game:

http://www.garp.ru/fun/ysp2.html

oohsalmon
10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
So this should mean that my pinball all-time high score is safe, yes? Yes? Yes!

dryrunguy
10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
No Battleship or Solitaire? I wasn't aware there wasn't a problem with either of them, except for Solitaire having two jacks of clubs.

I'd really hate to see either go, kirkus. The rest are totally kickable.

Does that mean that they'll get kicked this month and we'll lose those scores (e.g., Bowling and DOND)?

Dry

JTContinental
10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Kirkus, it would be cool if you could replace "smack the penguin" with this more advanced "penguin" game:

Perhaps "B*tch Slap the Penguin?"

Tscott415
10-01-2007, 01:25 PM
NOOO keep Hexxagon and drop bug i hate bug

oploskoffie
10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Keep: Solitaire.
Reason: I want to keep it.

I could argue it helps with achieving world peace, but you know as well as I do that's bullcrap. It's just one of those things I do like to play every now and then. Just because it did or did not make my top-5 doesn't mean I want it to vanish.

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately only games from a specific company are compatible with our system.

No Battleship or Solitaire? I wasn't aware there wasn't a problem with either of them, except for Solitaire having two jacks of clubs.

I'd really hate to see either go, kirkus. The rest are totally kickable.

Does that mean that they'll get kicked this month and we'll lose those scores (e.g., Bowling and DOND)?

Dry

NOOO keep Hexxagon and drop bug i hate bug

Saved. On the list to keep.

suliso
10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately only games from a specific company are compatible with our system.

Can you reveal where you get them? May be we can come up with some suggestions...

P.S. I would assume both penguin games have the same original source.

oohsalmon
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I think there will be a lot of people sad to see Moon Lander go. It's a game that's really popular with a lot of the less thorough arcadians, like Jessie, for example. I could see Jessie raising hell...;)

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I think there will be a lot of people sad to see Moon Lander go. It's a game that's really popular with a lot of the less thorough arcadians, like Jessie, for example. I could see Jessie raising hell...;)

Saved. On the list to keep. :)

morct
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I think it is very easy to cheat at Simon:lipsrsealed:

oohsalmon
10-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I think it is very easy to cheat at Simon:lipsrsealed:

Yes, but cheating is not easy. The cheating can get competitive :)

morct
10-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, but cheating is not easy. The cheating can get competitive :)

:hyst:

munchin
10-01-2007, 03:03 PM
You're booting Disco Bowling but keeping Bug? I thought Bug was one of the least popular games.

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
You're booting Disco Bowling but keeping Bug? I thought Bug was one of the least popular games.

Do you want to keep Disco Bowling?

munchin
10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Do you want to keep Disco Bowling?

Well, I quite enjoy disco bowling but I'd feel silly asking you to keep it just for me.

Jay
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
YES! :D
Thanks for sticking up for Moon Lander. Even though I haven't played it in about two weeks (I always tell myself to beat the top score the last day, but I always seem to forget to play it the last day of the month), it's probably my favorite game in the arcade, bar none. :)
I think Moon Lander is the only game I'd raise hell for....'cause it's the only game I have a shot in hell of winning. :)

Saved. On the list to keep. :)
thank you :D

:sweetheart:I love Moon Lander:banana:

Personally, I'm okay with the ones you chose to drop. :D

I think the only games that I actually still play are Moon Lander, Hexxagon(every now and then), Alpha Force, and that helicopter game.

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Well, I quite enjoy disco bowling but I'd feel silly asking you to keep it just for me.

Then we'll keep it for you and me both. :)

Lone-star
10-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Just a reminder - you keep Deuces Wild or you don't eat or sleep:woohoo:

oohsalmon
10-01-2007, 04:41 PM

LOL, Lone-star, I think we all knew that there was no way you were gonna let that one leave :p

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 04:44 PM

LOL, Lone-star, I think we all knew that there was no way you were gonna let that one leave :p

That was first on the list to keep, darling. :smitten:

--cj--
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM

okay, that advanced penguin game is totally cute.

i support whatever decision you make, Captain Kirkus.

beaujarkko
10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I just want to say that I don't cheat at Simon. Usually, I score in the 20's. It is clear I don't cheat when I score 10. That was an awful game ;)

Also, I don't really care one way or the other if DoND stays or not, but I do want to weigh in that the 8-player DoND tournaments fill up REALLY quickly, like Yahtzee or Slingo. So maybe that can be taken into consideration?

Lastly, Bug's popularity has waned. Other than those two, I see no problems with the keep/boot list.

Kirkus
10-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I just want to say that I don't cheat at Simon. Usually, I score in the 20's. It is clear I don't cheat when I score 10. That was an awful game ;)

Also, I don't really care one way or the other if DoND stays or not, but I do want to weigh in that the 8-player DoND tournaments fill up REALLY quickly, like Yahtzee or Slingo. So maybe that can be taken into consideration?

Lastly, Bug's popularity has waned. Other than those two, I see no problems with the keep/boot list.

Good point on the DoND tournaments.

We'll keep it.

dryrunguy
10-02-2007, 08:32 PM
So with the games that seem to be on their way out, should I not even bother with them this month (ahem, cough cough, mahjong)? Just askin'... ;)

Dry

Kirkus
10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
So with the games that seem to be on their way out, should I not even bother with them this month (ahem, cough cough, mahjong)? Just askin'... ;)

Dry

Mahjong will stay. I think we're just going to replace the one we have. We can let them overlap -- have both until the end of the month, at which time we'll drop the old one.

I'll double check with Mr. Oplo (our new arcade admin), but that makes the most sense to me. So this month we'll have 2 mahjong scores at the end.

JTContinental
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
At this rate, all of the dropped games will be back on the keep list by the end of the month...except for Cribbage, of course. ;)

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, let's keep this discussion rolling. At the moment the stay-and-exit list looks like this:

KEEP:
Slingo Para Dice
Fruit Smash
Yahtzee
Tetris
Pool Jam
Frogger
Alpha Force
Connect 4
Simon
Asteroids
Ball of Madness
Pac Man
Breakout
Chopper Challenge
Space Invaders
Deuces Wild
Black Jack
Battleship
Solitare
Hexxagon
Moon Lander
Bowling
Deal or No Deal

BOOT:
123 Go
Centipede
Cribbage
Pinball
SD-Pong
Bug

Replace with an improved version?

Mahjong (New)
Smack the Penguin
Golf

Yeah, there are other penguin games out there, though we can't guarantee that they'll gel with our arcade software. We would look to keep something in there that allows all of us to beat that little black and white sucker to pieces, but it'd be preferrable if the maximum score wasn't so bloody easy to hit. More competition, less of "who gets there first".

Also, we'd like to hear from you, our completely not-addicted gamers, what kind of game you'd like to have added to the Arcade. ;) Something oldschool arcade? Something in the way of sports? (apart from a tennis game) Puzzles? You name it! :)

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Oh, and I'd like to mention this about our search for a better Mahjong game: it's not easy! :cheesy::lipsrsealed: Seriously. The biggest complaint I've heard about the current Mahjong is that it doesn't show you how many moves are left. Considering that our first mahjong required a microscope to see and the fact that just about every other version we can integrate into the arcade either has a (brief) time limit, caters more to toddlers than adults, or lacks user-friendliness even more , we might be asking you to learn to love the current game just a little longer. Unless y'all are fine with a 72 tile Loony Tunes Mahjong game, or one with XP icons and questionable light/dark contrast :p

oohsalmon
10-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh, and I'd like to mention this about our search for a better Mahjong game: it's not easy! :cheesy::lipsrsealed: Seriously. The biggest complaint I've heard about the current Mahjong is that it doesn't show you how many moves are left. Considering that our first mahjong required a microscope to see and the fact that just about every other version we can integrate into the arcade either has a (brief) time limit, caters more to toddlers than adults, or lacks user-friendliness even more , we might be asking you to learn to love the current game just a little longer. Unless y'all are fine with a 72 tile Loony Tunes Mahjong game, or one with XP icons and questionable light/dark contrast :p

Bring on the Loony Tunes!

Edited to add: 72 tiles--not so much.

PeterSkan
10-06-2007, 07:51 AM
As a relatively new-comer to the arcade, I'm really disappointed to see cribbage go. Even if the program is designed to give Jake an improbable number of good cuts, the game is both challenging and fun. YOu can outhink the program during the pegging portion.

It's a game that can test you intelligence and card sense and not just the roll of the dice [Yahtzee] or reflex capacity & hand-eye coordination.

I don't see that the ARcade has been improved by this deletion, and I'd hate to see it dumbed down simply on the basis of popularity. There's enough of that going around.

PeterSkan
10-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Is rhere a Scrabble or Bridge game out there to try?

dryrunguy
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey, Mr. Koffie. Just saw Golf on the replace list. Is there something wrong with the current one? Just curious what the issue is. Thanks!

Dry

PeterSkan
10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Wait a sec ... Cribbage Master is the 13th most played game out of the 32 in the Arcade. Why is it on the hit list?

beaujarkko
10-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Is rhere a Scrabble or Bridge game out there to try?

Oooh yes. Both would be sweet.

beaujarkko
10-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Wait a sec ... Cribbage Master is the 13th most played game out of the 32 in the Arcade. Why is it on the hit list?

Peter, I think the issue with Cribbage Master is not the fact that it isn't played so much as it is very easy to manipulate your score (and the computer's) in the actual play of the game. Several of us have figured out how to do so, and I think that is the main criterion for its removal.

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey, Mr. Koffie. Just saw Golf on the replace list. Is there something wrong with the current one? Just curious what the issue is. Thanks!

Dry

I've followed the participation for the golf game from month one and found that about five to six people even attempt to play it each month, with about half actually consistently playing it. It was our rivalry over the first two months or so that pushed it up the ladder as far as the amount of times played goes. Going by comments posted with any of the scores, the enjoyment of the golf game could be much improved as well, so I'd put it amongst the games we could consider replacing with something more "accessible" for the time being. It doesn't mean it's a goner, but it does mean we might look at trying out another golf game as well and then let the players decide which one is the best time spent. :)

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Oooh yes. Both would be sweet.

I'll have a look around for that. Y'all are giving me fun things to do in the next couple of weeks :D

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Like Beau said, it's cheatable. I trust most of the people playing in the arcade, but the possibility is there and it makes the game seriously flawed as far as the hunt for highscores go. That, I understand, would not be of concern to everyone, as several people will play the game regardless and enjoy the challenge it has to offer without. We can keep it, perhaps, but I'd then prefer to go on the hunt for another version that isn't flawed the way this one is.

dryrunguy
10-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I've followed the participation for the golf game from month one and found that about five to six people even attempt to play it each month, with about half actually consistently playing it. It was our rivalry over the first two months or so that pushed it up the ladder as far as the amount of times played goes. Going by comments posted with any of the scores, the enjoyment of the golf game could be much improved as well, so I'd put it amongst the games we could consider replacing with something more "accessible" for the time being. It doesn't mean it's a goner, but it does mean we might look at trying out another golf game as well and then let the players decide which one is the best time spent. :)

Sounds like a plan, Mr. Koffie. I feel that's partially my fault because I've been a little lucky and racked up a decent score early in the month... And that might scare some folks off.

Dry

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a plan, Mr. Koffie. I feel that's partially my fault because I've been a little lucky and racked up a decent score early in the month... And that might scare some folks off.

Dry

Tell me about it :lipsrsealed:

beaujarkko
10-06-2007, 02:20 PM

Dry

I don't think I've ever broken 30. So as long as the low (high?) score is 30 or higher, I'll play ;)

oploskoffie
10-06-2007, 02:43 PM
We've found a replacement for Smack the Penguin. It's still Smack the Penguin, but it's Olympiad style, meaning you get five tries and the total meters hit is your score. No way of maxing that one out :) Well, extremely unlikely anyway ;)

We'll also try to add Orca Slap. This also involves the Yeti and the penguin, but it's darting with the penguin and snowballs :p

dryrunguy
10-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't think I've ever broken 30. So as long as the low (high?) score is 30 or higher, I'll play ;)

How do you feel about 29, beau? :o

Dry

beaujarkko
10-06-2007, 03:33 PM
How do you feel about 29, beau? :o

Dry

Well since I can do nothing but tie 30, I have no hope of 29. I was close, once, but then got a 5 on the last hole. Of course.

Kirkus
10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm still trying to get the high score at Yahtzee. I don't have time for anything else. :freekingout:

dryrunguy
10-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm still trying to get the high score at Yahtzee. I don't have time for anything else. :freekingout:

Yahtzee has been merciless in recent weeks. I can't even get a sniff at a good score. :(

Dry

oohsalmon
10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
This is the last day for many of the games...:(

Get 'em while you can :undecided: