PDA

View Full Version : Landis Guilty-Must Give Up Cycling Title

Ti-Amie
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Floyd Landis lost his expensive and explosive doping case Thursday when arbitrators upheld the results of a test that showed the 2006 Tour de France champion used synthetic testosterone to fuel his spectacular comeback victory, The Associated Press has learned. The decision means Landis, who repeatedly has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, must forfeit his Tour de France title and is subject to a two-year ban, retroactive to Jan. 30, 2007.

The ruling, handed down nearly four months after a bizarre and bitterly fought hearing, leaves the American with one final way to possibly salvage his title an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. If Landis doesn't appeal, he'll be the first person in the 105-year history of the race to lose the title because of a doping offense.

According to documents obtained by AP, the vote was 2-1 to uphold the results, with lead arbitrator Patrice Brunet and Richard McLaren in the majority and Christopher Campbell dissenting.

"Today's ruling is a victory for all clean athletes and everyone who values fair and honest competition," U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart said.

It's a devastating loss for Landis, who has steadfastly insisted that cheating went against everything he was all about and said he was merely a pawn in the anti-doping system's all-consuming effort to find cheaters and keep money flowing to its labs and agencies. Landis didn't hide from the scrutiny invited it, in fact and now has been found guilty by the closest thing to a fair trial any accused athlete will get.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070920/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_landis_decision;_ylt=AswumP3Lk5QpKg5R8gCI4kms0 NUE

munchin
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm annoyed at the quotation toward the bottom. How anyone could be celebrating this as good news is beyond me. This is a pretty awful day for cycling and sports in general. Now it's always going to be in my head that any champion or excellent player of a sport could have cheated their way there. It makes me feel a little ill.

dryrunguy
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know... I'm reminded of Canas... Everyone was so sure he was guilty, and then it turned out he wasn't. So I just don't know what to make of this.

Dry

Ti-Amie
09-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Because of the Canas case all of this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Is Landis going to be nailed to the wall because they could never get anything on Cheryl Crow's ex?

craighickman
09-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Because of the Canas case all of this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Is Landis going to be nailed to the wall because they could never get anything on Cheryl Crow's ex?

Probably.

This is what witch hunts look like in sport.

dryrunguy
09-20-2007, 12:41 PM

I'm just relieved that Landis never claimed to be pregnant...

Dry

suliso
09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I am 99% sure he is guilty. Virtually everyone in cycling is. It's impossible to do what they are doing without it...

JTContinental
09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm annoyed at the quotation toward the bottom. How anyone could be celebrating this as good news is beyond me. This is a pretty awful day for cycling and sports in general. Now it's always going to be in my head that any champion or excellent player of a sport could have cheated their way there. It makes me feel a little ill.

Yes, it seems a lot of these issues are boiling down to who is the best at masking their doping. Like oncourt coaching in tennis, maybe they should just allow transfusions in cycling, since many are doing it anyway. That way, they'll all be on equal footing.

Ti-Amie
09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
If it turns out that he's guilty so be it. As long as we don't have a situation where Rusedski, who mistakenly took something an ATP doctor gave him got off with a slap on the back and angered some of his peers for coming clean about the mistake and Canas, in the exact same situation, loses a year and change of his career and is still called a "doper" by some.

craighickman
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes, it seems a lot of these issues are boiling down to who is the best at masking their doping. Like oncourt coaching in tennis, maybe they should just allow transfusions in cycling, since many are doing it anyway. That way, they'll all be on equal footing.

I made that argument about all sports somewhere a few times and someone thought I had three heads.

There are many health risks to doping. If folks wanna risk their lives a la Flo Jo, I say let them do it. Dopers don't always win, after all.

And if doping were legal, not everyone would do it.

It would level the playing field as much as it is already, especially considering that some get caught and some don't. It would also end the witch hunts and save athletes their lawyers fees.

I'd still like to know the names of the 7 or 8 players who got caught in the ATP back in 2004 but the ATP covered it up and the 30 or so more whose names weren't released (and what countries they haield from) who elevated levels of nandrolone (sp?) found in their chemistry, none of whom were sanctioned in any way that the public knew about, if they were sanctioned at all.

jjnow
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I am 99% sure he is guilty. Virtually everyone in cycling is. It's impossible to do what they are doing without it...
Yep. This sport has very little credibility. It's more a question of who isn't doping.

jj

Ti-Amie
09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I made that argument about all sports somewhere a few times and someone thought I had three heads.

There are many health risks to doping. If folks wanna risk their lives a la Flo Jo, I say let them do it. Dopers don't always win, after all.

And if doping were legal, not everyone would do it.

It would level the playing field as much as it is already, especially considering that some get caught and some don't. It would also end the witch hunts and save athletes their lawyers fees.

I'd still like to know the names of the 7 or 8 players who got caught in the ATP back in 2004 but the ATP covered it up and the 30 or so more whose names weren't released (and what countries they haield from) who elevated levels of nandrolone (sp?) found in their chemistry, none of whom were sanctioned in any way that the public knew about, if they were sanctioned at all.

Fat chance.

craighickman
09-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Fat chance.

I must've been typing fast. There were a lot of errors.

But anyway.

I hear you.

But I find it ridiculous (and oh, so revealing) that Greg Rusedski had to "come out" because the result was being leaked and he was chastised by Todd Martin of all people for doing so, and yet Puerta and Canas and Coria's stories were headline news in the tennis world. And unless I missed something, all of them had sanctions that were lessened on appeal. Coria even won a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the vitamins he took. He claims that his Roland Garros loss was a direct result of that "indictment" because he was afraid to even drink an energy drink in his 2004 run.

When I was down in NC for for Davis Cup, I heard an American fan say with a straight face, "All those South Americans are cheats and they should be banned from the sport for good. I'm surprised they haven't caught any of the Spanish yet."

Of course Spain was our quarterfinal opponent.

dryrunguy
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I must've been typing fast. There were a lot of errors.

But anyway.

I hear you.

But I find it ridiculous (and oh, so revealing) that Greg Rusedski had to "come out" because the result was being leaked and he was chastised by Todd Martin of all people for doing so, and yet Puerta and Canas and Coria's stories were headline news in the tennis world. And unless I missed something, all of them had sanctions that were lessened on appeal. Coria even won a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the vitamins he took. He claims that his Roland Garros loss was a direct result of that "indictment" because he was afraid to even drink an energy drink in his 2004 run.

When I was down in NC for for Davis Cup, I heard an American fan say with a straight face, "All those South Americans are cheats and they should be banned from the sport for good. I'm surprised they haven't caught any of the Spanish yet."

Of course Spain was our quarterfinal opponent.

Yeah, but THAT speaks to another issue... Doesn't it?

Dry

Ti-Amie
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Then there was the post on TOB last week that said Rafa should be back in the tomato fields by now but I digress.

That's why I'm posting those excerpts from 2004. Verrry interesting reading.

craighickman
09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but THAT speaks to another issue... Doesn't it?

Dry

Of course. But it's no surprise the Argentineans have been revealed as the biggest "cheats" in tennis, no?

dryrunguy
09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Of course. But it's no surprise the Argentineans have been revealed as the biggest "cheats" in tennis, no?

No surprise at all. It's also a function of people being gullible enough to believe everything they read and hear. Most tennis fans don't follow the sport as closely as we do. They read a headline, "Coria Under Investigation for Doping". They immediately believe it. They may not even care enough to read more than a paragraph or two.

And then there's the "support all things American" sentiment. Everyone else is the enemy... You know, the ethnocentrism that wins elections... some people swallow everything hook, line, and sinker as it related to "the enemy".

Dry

Foxykhat
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Do you think they tried hard enough? Idk maybe the got blinded by all the HERO glitter.

Foxy