PDA

View Full Version : CFB THREAD CFB THREAD CFB THREAD CFB THREAD

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sebastien447
09-02-2007, 10:24 AM
If anyone wants to talk college feetball here's the place. If not, I'll just talk to myself. :p

That Michigan loss has to be one of the biggest upsets of all time. I hate Michigan even more now for making the Big Ten look bad. Ohio State won of course ...

GO BUCKS

Ti-Amie
09-02-2007, 11:26 AM
If anyone wants to talk college feetball here's the place. If not, I'll just talk to myself. :p

That Michigan loss has to be one of the biggest upsets of all time. I hate Michigan even more now for making the Big Ten look bad. Ohio State won of course ...

GO BUCKS

I was looking for someone to talk to about this. Major, major upset.

Sebastien447
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
I was looking for someone to talk to about this. Major, major upset.

Michigan special teams lost it for them. Two blocked field goals means that they have a lot of work to do!

It will be interesting to see what Appalachian St. does now. Are they really good or does Michigan just suck?

jjnow
09-03-2007, 05:34 PM
It will be interesting to see what Appalachian St. does now. Are they really good or does Michigan just suck?
They've won the Division 1-AA for the past two years.

jj

Sebastien447
09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
They've won the Division 1-AA for the past two years.

jj

Yes, but a 1AA team has never beaten a ranked 1A team before. That's a big step, and against a Michigan team that was loaded and poised for a title run. App St. would have to be one special IAA team for this loss not to spell doom for the remainder of Michigan's season. They may be able to use the loss as motivation but I doubt it. Michigan sucks eggs.

jjnow
09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, but a 1AA team has never beaten a ranked 1A team before. That's a big step, and against a Michigan team that was loaded and poised for a title run. App St. would have to be one special IAA team for this loss not to spell doom for the remainder of Michigan's season. They may be able to use the loss as motivation but I doubt it. Michigan sucks eggs.
I wouldn't disagree with any of this. I think the only reason Michigan organized this game was as a nod for App St.'s accomplishments in 1AA, and to have a gimme for their opener. It obviously bit them in the ass. I'm currently in transition between App State and UNC and on Friday I can't tell you how many people I heard say "I hope they can at least score once."

jj

oohsalmon
09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
It was a mistake for Michigan to schedule Appalachian State. They're too good an unknown. Appalachian State was like the girl at the boy's wrestling meet. If you beat her, you only beat a girl, woo hoo. But if you lose to her, you are in for a world of ridicule.

Michigan dropped out of the top 25 today, from 5th to 32nd (if they ranked that far down). Anyone else find that a wee bit excessive?

Sebastien447
09-05-2007, 07:18 AM
It was a mistake for Michigan to schedule Appalachian State. They're too good an unknown. Appalachian State was like the girl at the boy's wrestling meet. If you beat her, you only beat a girl, woo hoo. But if you lose to her, you are in for a world of ridicule.

Michigan dropped out of the top 25 today, from 5th to 32nd (if they ranked that far down). Anyone else find that a wee bit excessive?

1A teams schedule quality 1AA teams all the time. The only mistakes Michigan made were involved with their preparation for this game. This happens every year with Michigan. They always have a surprising early season loss. I think the loss speaks to how poorly Carr prepares his team for the start of the season against lesser opponents. And I think 32 is about right following that loss. They'll probably creep their way back up but they have a lot of proving to do.

Sebastien447
09-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Michigan has hit rock bottom.

:banana:

oohsalmon
09-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Michigan has hit rock bottom.

:banana:

Ugh, I know. And I still am obliged to use my season tickets.

But at least my Redskins won!

Sebastien447
10-14-2007, 04:25 PM
The Ohio State Buckeyes are #1. Back where we belong!

GO BUCKS

oohsalmon
10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I just got back from Tampa, and people there are ecstatic about USF being #2.

I still think that CFB has a lot of problems, most notably the fact that a team can go undefeated and not win the whole thing, but it's nice to see this underdog doing well.

And I wish the Buckeyes all the best...in the Alamo Bowl :p.

GO BLUE!!!

Sebastien447
10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
USF should be #1. They have much better wins. They are actually the clear #1 with the BCS computers but the Bucks get more love in the human polls.

One question though, how could a 12-0 team go to the Alamo Bowl? :rolleyes:

oohsalmon
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
USF should be #1. They have much better wins. They are actually the clear #1 with the BCS computers but the Bucks get more love in the human polls.

One question though, how could a 12-0 team go to the Alamo Bowl? :rolleyes:

By losing in Ann Arbor by seventy to end their season...duh.

Sebastien447
10-14-2007, 05:00 PM
LOL! We may not give up 70 points for the entire season!

BTW, I'm a Skins fan too ... boo hoo hoo!

Sebastien447
10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
GO BUCKEYES !!!!

Sebastien447
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
!!!!!

oohsalmon
10-27-2007, 08:22 PM
How bout dem Wolverines, eh? Seven in a row! :yahoo:

Sebastien447
10-27-2007, 10:18 PM
How bout dem Wolverines, eh? Seven in a row! :yahoo:

Eh, not impressed. The 9-0 Buckeyes just went on the road and crushed a team that the Wolverines barely beat at home. Prepare yourself for the beat down.

dryrunguy
10-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Eh, not impressed. The 9-0 Buckeyes just went on the road and crushed a team that the Wolverines barely beat at home. Prepare yourself for the beat down.

I'm trying very hard NOT to get excited about the Buckeyes again... Seeing as they kind of backed into the#1 spot/got there by default... But this is all really, really good...

And down with Michigan. Or else I'll be forced to start telling Michigan jokes!

Dry

P.S.--Why are flyswatters banned in Michigan? Because it's illegal to kill the state bird.

Sebastien447
10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
We're better than last year dry. Everyone was saying that we'd have an off year with what we lost to the NFL but we are better. Did you see the Penn St game? Get excited dry, get very excited! We'll work Wisky and Illinois at home. Michigan will be a dog fight, but if we can get through that one there will be a chip on Buckeyes' shoulders in the NC game. One at a time, but excitement is warranted!

mrjiggyfly2
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
That quarterback looked really good against Penn St. from what I saw.

Sebastien447
10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
That quarterback looked really good against Penn St. from what I saw.

Boeckman's numbers are comparable to Troy's at this same point last year. Buckeye fans are wondering why he isn't being mentioned in the Heisman race ... or Beanie Wells for that matter.

dryrunguy
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
We're better than last year dry. Everyone was saying that we'd have an off year with what we lost to the NFL but we are better. Did you see the Penn St game? Get excited dry, get very excited! We'll work Wisky and Illinois at home. Michigan will be a dog fight, but if we can get through that one there will be a chip on Buckeyes' shoulders in the NC game. One at a time, but excitement is warranted!

Have to admit, I'm started to get excited, Sebs. Don't know why, but Wisconsin is often a spoiler for the Buckeyes. I'll be glad when we get that one behind us. And then there's always Michigan. And with Florida out of the mix entirely, who knows?

Dry

Sebastien447
10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
I'd LOVE to get Florida again, but they're out of it like you said. Any team from the SEC would do. Shut those bastards up! The trouble is, LSU is the only team who stands a chance to make it, and they're likely to lose again. If we play a team like BC and win the NC they'll all be saying "default" championship and like nonsense ...

anyway, not counting chickens before they're chickens ... one at a time. Wisky's not bad this year and they have tripped us before. I'd be worried if it were a road game ... should be a comfortable win for the good guys.

GO BUCKEYES!!!

dryrunguy
11-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Make that 10-0, Sebs!

Dry

ptmcmahon
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not allowed to participate in this thread based on my teams record :)

owendonovan
11-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Watch out for BC, the Red Sox won and the Pats are looking pretty good. Boston seems to have it going on right now. (I probably just jinxed the whole thing).

oohsalmon
11-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Watch out for BC, the Red Sox won and the Pats are looking pretty good. Boston seems to have it going on right now. (I probably just jinxed the whole thing).

That you did.

Sebastien447
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Make that 10-0, Sebs!

Dry

Yah man! Tress won't let the troops overlook Illinois. This could be the Buckeyes' toughest game of the year.

Sebastien447
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm not allowed to participate in this thread based on my teams record :)

Yes you can! Support your team! Besides, we need someone to make fun of :p

So who is your team anyway?

oohsalmon
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Yah man! Tress won't let the troops overlook Illinois. This could be the Buckeyes' toughest game of the year.

Puhleez.

Go Blue.

dryrunguy
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Puhleez.

Go Blue.

Bleh.... Muck Fichigan. :p

Dry

Sebastien447
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Puhleez.

Go Blue.

You're going to have to face this fact. Tress has Carr's number. We had to face the fact that Cooper just didn't understand THE game. He was fired and Carr will be too.

Sebastien447
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Meatchicken at Wisky tomorrow oohsalmon! Nervous?

oohsalmon
11-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Meatchicken at Wisky tomorrow oohsalmon! Nervous?

"Meatchicken" sounds like a former OSU player trying to repeat an order back to a customer once McDonald's finally gave him a job.

I'm not nervous. This game actually isn't that important for us. Even if we lose, we still win the Big Ten if we beat y'all next week. So I'm kinda meh about it.

Nervous about Illinois? Your ****eyes only beat 'em by seven last year, putting up only seventeen points, and that was with a way more loaded offense. Unimpressive.

ptmcmahon
11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes you can! Support your team! Besides, we need someone to make fun of :p

So who is your team anyway?

If you could pick any team this year that you would not want to be a fan of...who would it be? That's my team...

Yes this is definitely the year to make fun.

Sebastien447
11-11-2007, 10:08 AM
"Meatchicken" sounds like a former OSU player trying to repeat an order back to a customer once McDonald's finally gave him a job.

I'm not nervous. This game actually isn't that important for us. Even if we lose, we still win the Big Ten if we beat y'all next week. So I'm kinda meh about it.

Nervous about Illinois? Your ****eyes only beat 'em by seven last year, putting up only seventeen points, and that was with a way more loaded offense. Unimpressive.

Ooooooh baby! That's the kind of smack I'm used to over on the Buckeye board, not used to getting smacked around by the genteel tennis fans, NICE!

But you're not much of a meatchicken fan if you don't care if your team wins or loses. Me, my heart was ripped out yesterday. The Illini played one hell of a game though. Kudos to them. Now it's time to get ready to smack ttun around again! GO BUCKEYES!!!

dryrunguy
11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Ooooooh baby! That's the kind of smack I'm used to over on the Buckeye board, not used to getting smacked around by the genteel tennis fans, NICE!

But you're not much of a meatchicken fan if you don't care if your team wins or loses. Me, my heart was ripped out yesterday. The Illini played one hell of a game though. Kudos to them. Now it's time to get ready to smack ttun around again!

I'm too depressed, Sebs... The only good news is that they still have a shot at a national title game... But the fact that they faltered late in the season rather than earlier is probably going to be their death knell. :mad:

Dry

Sebastien447
11-11-2007, 10:11 AM
If you could pick any team this year that you would not want to be a fan of...who would it be? That's my team...

Yes this is definitely the year to make fun.

Ouch! Notre Dame! They've really destroyed that team, firing Willingham after only three years. They're getting what they deserve after that idiotic manoeuvre.

Sebastien447
11-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm too depressed, Sebs... The only good news is that they still have a shot at a national title game... But the fact that they faltered late in the season rather than earlier is probably going to be their death knell. :mad:

Dry

Sorry man, but there's no way we have a shot at the NC game. The Buckeyes have received no respect at all this year, and like you said, it's a late season loss. We might fall out of the top 10. It's not right but we WILL beat that team up north and go to a BCS bowl and WIN!

Sebastien447
11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Sorry man, but there's no way we have a shot at the NC game. The Buckeyes have received no respect at all this year, and like you said, it's a late season loss. We might fall out of the top 10. It's not right but we WILL beat that team up north and go to a BCS bowl and WIN!

We're #7 in The USA Today poll, ahead of only one other legit one loss team (AZ St) ... better than I thought it would be.

ptmcmahon
11-11-2007, 10:45 AM
They still need all but one of LSU, Oregon, and all 3 Big 12 teams to lose to make it I think - a big win over Michigan could put them ahead of West Virginia.

ptmcmahon
11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Ouch! Notre Dame! They've really destroyed that team, firing Willingham after only three years. They're getting what they deserve after that idiotic manoeuvre.

Yup, you guessed correctly...worst season ever, officially! They might not even beat a 1-9 Duke team next week. Lucky UCLA had an off day and they got the 1 win. Firing Wilingham was dumb...as would be firing Weis...they have to give their guys a chance to get their people in place. Since's he's alum...I see him getting 1 more year.

Sebastien447
11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Yup, you guessed correctly...worst season ever, officially! They might not even beat a 1-9 Duke team next week. Lucky UCLA had an off day and they got the 1 win. Firing Wilingham was dumb...as would be firing Weis...they have to give their guys a chance to get their people in place. Since's he's alum...I see him getting 1 more year.

Well, good luck getting out of that 10 year contract. Who's in charge up there? It really is laughable.

oohsalmon
11-11-2007, 09:35 PM

But you're not much of a meatchicken fan if you don't care if your team wins or loses. Me, my heart was ripped out yesterday. The Illini played one hell of a game though. Kudos to them. Now it's time to get ready to smack ttun around again! GO BUCKEYES!!!

You're welcome. Being a huge Flyers fan, it's not in my blood to be genteel about sports. I cheer when Devils fans get beaten up in the parking lot.

I wouldn't say that being pessimistic about the Wisky game makes me any less of a Michigan fan. I had picked Wisconsin to win the Big Ten this season, and I'm just pissed that the only time they played well was against us. And with all our injuries, and the insignificance of that game to our conference title hopes, I was fine with Carr resting Hart and Henne so they can do some nutcracking next week.

But it must really suck to be you, having your hopes blown of getting to be embarrassed in another title game, that little flame of hope growing bigger and bigger until it gets smothered by a team who we beat by ten in Champaign. That's gonna be a tough letdown to overcome in a week.

Have you already made hotel reservations in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl? I hear western Texas is lovely that time of year.

Sebastien447
11-12-2007, 07:56 AM
You're welcome. Being a huge Flyers fan, it's not in my blood to be genteel about sports. I cheer when Devils fans get beaten up in the parking lot.

I wouldn't say that being pessimistic about the Wisky game makes me any less of a Michigan fan. I had picked Wisconsin to win the Big Ten this season, and I'm just pissed that the only time they played well was against us. And with all our injuries, and the insignificance of that game to our conference title hopes, I was fine with Carr resting Hart and Henne so they can do some nutcracking next week.

But it must really suck to be you, having your hopes blown of getting to be embarrassed in another title game, that little flame of hope growing bigger and bigger until it gets smothered by a team who we beat by ten in Champaign. That's gonna be a tough letdown to overcome in a week.

Have you already made hotel reservations in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl? I hear western Texas is lovely that time of year.

Remember three things ...

1) Remember your post after The Bucks beat Michigan for the FOURTH STRAIGHT YEAR! (and 6 out of the last 7)

2) Remember that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Ohio State. Nothing was expected from them this year. 11-1 with a BCS Bowl Bid exceeds anyone's wildest expectations! We weren't the best team in the country this year, but we will be next year!

3) Remember that it was supposed to be Michigan's year, this year, and they've fallen flat on their faces, lost to a DIAA team and embarrassed the entire conference in the process. When they lose to Ohio State AGAIN, Carr will be forced out and you'll be looking for a coach.

ptmcmahon
11-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess no matter how bad it gets at ND...at least we didn't lose to a Div I AA team! That's all I can hang my hat on this year.

Sebastien447
11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I guess no matter how bad it gets at ND...at least we didn't lose to a Div I AA team! That's all I can hang my hat on this year.

That's only because you didn't play a DIAA team.

:tease:

oohsalmon
11-12-2007, 09:38 PM

I know it's a little transitive, but Notre Dame lost by how much to the team who lost to the Div I AA defending champions?

oohsalmon
11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Remember three things ...

1) Remember your post after The Bucks beat Michigan for the FOURTH STRAIGHT YEAR! (and 6 out of the last 7)

2) Remember that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Ohio State. Nothing was expected from them this year. 11-1 with a BCS Bowl Bid exceeds anyone's wildest expectations! We weren't the best team in the country this year, but we will be next year!

3) Remember that it was supposed to be Michigan's year, this year, and they've fallen flat on their faces, lost to a DIAA team and embarrassed the entire conference in the process. When they lose to Ohio State AGAIN, Carr will be forced out and you'll be looking for a coach.

That's a lot of remembering to ask someone to do. You may not realize that because your heartbreaking national championship hopes-dashing loss was just this Saturday.

Aside from Appalachian State and a loss to the eventual National Champions, Oregon, we have been plagued by injury to our two stars, our Heisman hopefuls, Henne and Hart. That we were able to win eight straight with these two hobbled is a credit to us.

So yeah, your results have generally been a lot better than ours, although we clearly had a much tougher schedule.

Anywho, I'll be there Saturday to see whatever goes down. With Henne and Hart rested, and Big Ten Title and the Rose Bowl on the line, it should be fun.

Sebastien447
11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
That's a lot of remembering to ask someone to do. You may not realize that because your heartbreaking national championship hopes-dashing loss was just this Saturday.

Aside from Appalachian State and a loss to the eventual National Champions, Oregon, we have been plagued by injury to our two stars, our Heisman hopefuls, Henne and Hart. That we were able to win eight straight with these two hobbled is a credit to us.

So yeah, your results have generally been a lot better than ours, although we clearly had a much tougher schedule.

Anywho, I'll be there Saturday to see whatever goes down. With Henne and Hart rested, and Big Ten Title and the Rose Bowl on the line, it should be fun.

Man you caved quick. Okay, if we must, I'll be civil. Good luck on Saturday. Let the best team win. Michigan has a great program and the Bucks will have to be at their best to win and blah blah blah I think I'm going to be sick.

:vomit:

ptmcmahon
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
My big question for now is ... do you think the Big 12 champ can move up to #2? (assuming LSU and Oregon also win out)

If Kansas finish undefeated, beating #5 Oklahoma and #6 Missouri, I can't see how they don't get (at least) #2. Missouri could also finish with wins of OK and Kansas, making them have a strong case for #2. Oklahoma may be in the worst position of the three since they'll only have the one marquee matchup left.

Sebastien447
11-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Dry

Move Oregon out of there and lift the Buckeyes up one spot dry! If we beat Michigan ... who knows eh?

ptmcmahon
11-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Ohio state need a lot to get in - I can see them passing West Virginia without a WV loss, but they won't pass any of the other 5 teams unless they lose - good news is 2 are guarenteed to.

ptmcmahon
11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
For you Buckeyes fans, first piece fell into place with Oregon going down last night.

For Notre Dame fans like me...we need about 100 teams to lose 8 more to have a shot!

dryrunguy
11-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Ohio state need a lot to get in - I can see them passing West Virginia without a WV loss, but they won't pass any of the other 5 teams unless they lose - good news is 2 are guarenteed to.

PT, we're talking Ohio sports here... As an Ohio native, I can tell you with absolute certainty... We NEVER get THAT kind of luck. It just doesn't happen. It's as if God knew about the 2000 election several decades ago.

Dry

verucasalt
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Did any of the Buckeye fans read about refereeing mistake the Big 10 made in the Ohio State-Illinois game last week? Apparently the officiating crew was suspended for their call of the Purdue-Penn game earlier this month, but were still allowed to call this game.

Sebastien447
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Did any of the Buckeye fans read about refereeing mistake the Big 10 made in the Ohio State-Illinois game last week? Apparently the officiating crew was suspended for their call of the Purdue-Penn game earlier this month, but were still allowed to call this game.

Big Ten officiating has always been horrendous. Every year it's the same pathetic mess of missed calls and phantom calls. I'm surprised by nothing.

Just a note though ... the crew doing the Oregon game last night would do the Big Ten proud. They missed such an incredibly obvious personal foul type facemask penalty. The Arizona player twisted the Oregon runner down by his facemask and nothing was called. They'll be calling those guys over to the Big Ten soon. They'd fit right in!

Sebastien447
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM

The way we were pushed around by Illinois I don't think I want the Buckeyes in the NC game this year. If everything fell into place and we did happen to make it to the big game, all we'd hear would be how we backed into the game by default ... then if we lost ... Nah, I'd rather see us beat Michigan, and springboard the Rose Bowl into a NC in 2008. Next year is the year.

oohsalmon
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Big Ten officiating has always been horrendous. Every year it's the same pathetic mess of missed calls and phantom calls. I'm surprised by nothing.

Just a note though ... the crew doing the Oregon game last night would do the Big Ten proud. They missed such an incredibly obvious personal foul type facemask penalty. The Arizona player twisted the Oregon runner down by his facemask and nothing was called. They'll be calling those guys over to the Big Ten soon. They'd fit right in!

No officiating conference is as bad as the Sun Belt...letting Nebraska players run off the sidelines to end the last play of the Alamo Bowl is unimpressive, to say the very least.

dryrunguy
11-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, I'm glad the Buckeyes won... Who wouldn't celebrate a win by the good guys over those evil Wolverines? ;)

But still... The Rose Bowl doesn't seem like enough. :(

Dry

Jay
11-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, I'm glad the Buckeyes won... Who wouldn't celebrate a win by the good guys over those evil Wolverines? ;)

Dry

Spare a thought for oohsalmon. Kick him while he's down, why don't you.

He's not gonna like you calling his Wolverines evil. :tisk:

dryrunguy
11-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Spare a thought for oohsalmon. Kick him while he's down, why don't you.

He's not gonna like you calling his Wolverines evil. :tisk:

Oh please, no self-respecting Ohioan would ever spare a sympathetic thought for those little, anti-christic wannabes known as the Wolverines. They are evil and must be destroyed. The whole lot.

But I must confess, the Michiganders on this board are an awfully nice bunch, which is why I'm NOT gloating. As for my trashing of the Wolverines, I can't help it. I'm a product of my upbringing.

Dry

jsd123789456
11-17-2007, 05:32 PM
shame michigan had no offense, couldve been a great game today.

on the other hand, my school missouri is on track to whoop up on kansas next week, oklahoma the following, and on to the title game!!!

Sebastien447
11-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Dry

There are so many spoiled baby Buckeye fans. It's embarrassing. They cry and whine over ONE loss. The Rose Bowl isn't good enough! Good grief! It has been a fabulous year! And, even though I grew up in Columbus, I never bought into all the Michigan hatred ... just moronic if you ask me.

Sebastien447
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
shame michigan had no offense, couldve been a great game today.

Oh, it was a great game! The Buckeye D clamped down and completely shut down the Michigan offense! They saved Henne and Hart for us but it didn't matter! 92 YARDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE!!! Now that's great D baby!!!

oohsalmon
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh, it was a great game! The Buckeye D clamped down and completely shut down the Michigan offense! They saved Henne and Hart for us but it didn't matter! 92 YARDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE!!! Now that's great D baby!!!

Congrats on the win and the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl. Good stuff, and wholly deserved based on your performance today and the whole season.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was a good game. Not to get too Serena, but we played HORRIBLE offense almost the whole time. OSU D did a great job of not letting us get in a rhythm, but the amount of terrible passes and drops was absolutely astounding. The game actually was kind of...dull. Which is pretty stunning for a Michigan-OSU battle.

Henne sucks. I've been vocally anti-Henne for just about as long as I've been at Michigan, since we lost to Notre Dame in 05. He is one of the dumbest humans ever to take a snap. Carr's decision to keep putting him back in while Mallett got arguably our best drive of the last three quarters was maddening.

Thank you everyone for all your graciousness with this.

But to be a sore loser for a second, the Bucks dropped at least a dozen would-be interceptions :hyst:

ptmcmahon
11-17-2007, 10:33 PM
There are so many spoiled baby Buckeye fans. It's embarrassing. They cry and whine over ONE loss. The Rose Bowl isn't good enough! Good grief! It has been a fabulous year! And, even though I grew up in Columbus, I never bought into all the Michigan hatred ... just moronic if you ask me.

No kidding...it can be a LOT worse than 1 loss and the Rose Bowl. Spoiled Buckeye fans!

And remember...it's not 100% they won't play in the championship game yet. They'll be #5 with #2 and #3 playing each other, and then (probably) having to survive Oklohoma, considered by many to be the top of those teams. Then they just need West Virginia or LSU to slip in one of their last two games. Crazier things have happened in college football!

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
No kidding...it can be a LOT worse than 1 loss and the Rose Bowl. Spoiled Buckeye fans!

And remember...it's not 100% they won't play in the championship game yet. They'll be #5 with #2 and #3 playing each other, and then (probably) having to survive Oklohoma, considered by many to be the top of those teams. Then they just need West Virginia or LSU to slip in one of their last two games. Crazier things have happened in college football!

Well, you should hear some of the dopes over on the Buckeye board. They say Boeckman is a horrible, Tressel is a bad coach, all kinds of moronic crap. I'm sorry to be so tough on dry but I'm sick of all these spoiled fans. We are 11-1 and they still complain. They give the Buckeyes a bad name. I can sometimes see why some people hate the Buckeyes.

And you're right, Ohio State definitely has a decent shot at getting back to the NC game, but I'd be more than happy with the Rose Bowl.

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was a good game. Not to get too Serena, but we played HORRIBLE offense almost the whole time.

Well, it's the old debate. Was it good defense or bad offense. I say that the Buckeyes are great. You say that Michigan sucks. Okay, you win, Michigan sucks!

:p

dryrunguy
11-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Oh relax, Sebs. I'm not whining. I'm just saying they'd have been a lock for the national championship game if Illinois hadn't gotten away from them.

And I'm not hating on Michigan. Since you didn't pick up on it, it's called tongue in cheek humor. Any of our Michigan posters can tell you that I tease them about it.

Yes, it has still be a great season. I was just hoping for more.

Dry

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh relax, Sebs. I'm not whining. I'm just saying they'd have been a lock for the national championship game if Illinois hadn't gotten away from them.

And I'm not hating on Michigan. Since you didn't pick up on it, it's called tongue in cheek humor. Any of our Michigan posters can tell you that I tease them about it.

Yes, it has still be a great season. I was just hoping for more.

Dry

Good grief dry, you whine all the time about the Buckeyes. You're KING of the whiners! Just admit it.

dryrunguy
11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01VDF7nPRw

:)

Dry

ptmcmahon
11-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, you should hear some of the dopes over on the Buckeye board. They say Boeckman is a horrible, Tressel is a bad coach, all kinds of moronic crap. I'm sorry to be so tough on dry but I'm sick of all these spoiled fans. We are 11-1 and they still complain. They give the Buckeyes a bad name. I can sometimes see why some people hate the Buckeyes.

Exactly. Some of us poor souls are celebrating our 2nd win, nearly 20 years from our last national title. Buckeye fans saying woe are them deserved the Illinois loss.

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01VDF7nPRw

:)

Dry

What, did ya turn into a dog?

Whatever man.

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Exactly. Some of us poor souls are celebrating our 2nd win, nearly 20 years from our last national title. Buckeye fans saying woe are them deserved the Illinois loss.

Sometimes I feel like certain Buckeye fans deserve the type of year you guys are having. Then maybe they would stop bemoaning 11-1 and the Rose Bowl.

oohsalmon
11-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Sometimes I feel like certain Buckeye fans deserve the type of year you guys are having. Then maybe they would stop bemoaning 11-1 and the Rose Bowl.

I'd be fine with that.:)

dryrunguy
11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
What, did ya turn into a dog?

Whatever man.

I was trying to lighten the mood, sebs. But since you're hellbent on a fight that ain't gonna happen...

The bottom line is that the Buckeyes should be undefeated; a lot of other teams fall into the same category. They're not. Given that the expectations weren't very at the beginning of the season, they did very well to position themselves to even get into the mix, as we discussed a few weeks ago. But the Illinois loss was a disappointment. That's hardly whining. That's just telling it like it is. The Bucks SHOULD be undefeated and preparing for a national title game, not the Rose Bowl. But we'll take it, and it's still a much better season than anybody predicted before the season started.

Dry

Sebastien447
11-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I was trying to lighten the mood, sebs. But since you're hellbent on a fight that ain't gonna happen...

The bottom line is that the Buckeyes should be undefeated; a lot of other teams fall into the same category. They're not. Given that the expectations weren't very at the beginning of the season, they did very well to position themselves to even get into the mix, as we discussed a few weeks ago. But the Illinois loss was a disappointment. That's hardly whining. That's just telling it like it is. The Bucks SHOULD be undefeated and preparing for a national title game, not the Rose Bowl. But we'll take it, and it's still a much better season than anybody predicted before the season started.

Dry

I don't care about the mood. I'm just tired of Buckeye "fans" bitching about a one loss season.

ptmcmahon
11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Another piece falls into place for you Buckeyes fans...LSU down in triple ot for the 2nd time this year. You guys are one more upset away from #2 probably.

ptmcmahon
11-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Here's one other possibility. Say Missouri beat Kansas in a close game (maybe 3 ot like LSU is used to now.) Any chance of them going 1-2?

I personally doubt it (remember the outcry against Michigan getting a "re-match" last year?)

oohsalmon
11-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I personally doubt it (remember the outcry against Michigan getting a "re-match" last year?)

I agreed. Even though Florida clearly proved itself in the BCS championship game, there was absolutely no reason for Michigan not to have stayed at #2 while they weren't playing. Voters were voting for a match-up, not who they thought was the second best team, and that's just not right.

Sebastien447
11-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Another piece falls into place for you Buckeyes fans...LSU down in triple ot for the 2nd time this year. You guys are one more upset away from #2 probably.

If Conn beats UWV today, we're in. But even if they don't, if the Kansas/Missouri winner loses to OK we're in. It looks promising!

Sebastien447
11-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Here's one other possibility. Say Missouri beat Kansas in a close game (maybe 3 ot like LSU is used to now.) Any chance of them going 1-2?

No chance of that. If Kansas loses, they're out of the picture. They have received even less respect than the Buckeyes this year, a lot less. Also, their loss will be later in the year which, right or wrong, always hurts teams more than earlier losses. Computers will favor other teams as well, since their SOS is so weak (101st).

jsd123789456
11-24-2007, 12:33 PM
i have failed to be vocal enough this year, but only 4 and a half hours to kickoff and it is MIZZOU time!

also, i'm pumped to watch west virginia right now, i love watching this team play.

and arkansas was a blast to watch yesterday, mcfadden should win the heisman hands down.

Sebastien447
11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
i have failed to be vocal enough this year, but only 4 and a half hours to kickoff and it is MIZZOU time!

also, i'm pumped to watch west virginia right now, i love watching this team play.

and arkansas was a blast to watch yesterday, mcfadden should win the heisman hands down.

That Kansas/Missouri game should be a hoot! Unfortunately we're having people over for dinner right smack dab in the middle of it! DOH! I hate when life interrupts football! Arkansas was a blast yesterday. I was spent at the end of that one. Nutt almost blew it. McFadden is definitely a stud but the Heisman is probably Tebow's.

GO BUCKEYES!!!
GO HUSKIES?

jsd123789456
11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
BOOSH!!! one win away from playing for the title! though next saturday could prove pretty interesting i'll admit openly.

ptmcmahon
11-25-2007, 03:13 PM
No chance of that. If Kansas loses, they're out of the picture. They have received even less respect than the Buckeyes this year, a lot less. Also, their loss will be later in the year which, right or wrong, always hurts teams more than earlier losses. Computers will favor other teams as well, since their SOS is so weak (101st).

BCS standings out. The computers actually really like Kansas - they have them 4th which puts them 5th in the BCS, so they still need a lot of help - since Ohio State and Georgia are 3-4 and don't play next week.

Georgia could possibly benefit from not making the SEC title game next week (and risking a loss) should West Virginia and Mizzou both lose.

In that doomsday scenario the big question is if LSU win huge is there any way they can sneak to #2? Looks like USC and Oklohoma are way too low to have a chance. I suppose Virginia Tech could move up with a huge win too.

Knowing how college football goes, I say it's about 2/3 one loses and 1/3 both do. Of all the teams, I'd be happiest as a Buckeyes fan right now, and least happy as a Kansas fan.

Sebastien447
11-25-2007, 06:09 PM
BCS standings out. The computers actually really like Kansas - they have them 4th which puts them 5th in the BCS, so they still need a lot of help - since Ohio State and Georgia are 3-4 and don't play next week.

Georgia could possibly benefit from not making the SEC title game next week (and risking a loss) should West Virginia and Mizzou both lose.

In that doomsday scenario the big question is if LSU win huge is there any way they can sneak to #2? Looks like USC and Oklohoma are way too low to have a chance. I suppose Virginia Tech could move up with a huge win too.

Knowing how college football goes, I say it's about 2/3 one loses and 1/3 both do. Of all the teams, I'd be happiest as a Buckeyes fan right now, and least happy as a Kansas fan.

Like I said, Kansas is out. The only teams with a chance are Missouri, WVU and Ohio State. WVU is in since there is no way in hell they will lose to a pathetic Pitt team with this much on the line. If Missouri beats Oklahoma they're in, if they don't it'll be Ohio State. There you have it.

oohsalmon
11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
I would vote Hawaii if I had a say in things.

It annoys the crap out of me that an undefeated could ever be left out, especially when the two in the BCS game will have at least one loss each.

ptmcmahon
11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Like I said, Kansas is out. The only teams with a chance are Missouri, WVU and Ohio State. WVU is in since there is no way in hell they will lose to a pathetic Pitt team with this much on the line. If Missouri beats Oklahoma they're in, if they don't it'll be Ohio State. There you have it.

No way Pitt wins? Have you seen college football over the past few years? There's always crazy upsets at the end, and you've seen all the crazy upsets this year. If Michigan can go down to a 1AA team, I guarentee it's possible WVU could lose to Pitt.

Like I said, I like OSU's chances the best because they can't lose this week and mess it up!

ptmcmahon
11-25-2007, 07:38 PM

It annoys the crap out of me that an undefeated could ever be left out, especially when the two in the BCS game will have at least one loss each.

They barely beat a couple pathetic teams (ex. San Jose State.) They belong in a BCS game for sure, but no way do they belong in the title game. Do you think Hawaii would have any chance against the top 3-4 teams?

It would be entertaining at least though.

Sebastien447
11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
No way Pitt wins? Have you seen college football over the past few years? There's always crazy upsets at the end, and you've seen all the crazy upsets this year. If Michigan can go down to a 1AA team, I guarentee it's possible WVU could lose to Pitt.

I hope you're right.

But you're not ;)

Sebastien447
11-25-2007, 08:35 PM

The really annoying thing would be to have a team in the NC game just because they are undefeated. That would reward playing a pathetically weak schedule, as Hawaii did this year. Teams should be rewarded for playing tough schedules and they are rewarded for this in both the human and computer polls. Hawaii will make a BCS game unless they lose to Washington. That's a great accomplishment for a team like that. But they are in no way deserving of the NC game.

ptmcmahon
11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
It would be like awarding the #1 ranking to a tennis player who only player Tier 3 events and doesn't play any slams.

ptmcmahon
11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope you're right.

But you're not ;)

What makes you so sure it's impossible? I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's gotta be considered.

Sebastien447
11-26-2007, 09:52 PM
What makes you so sure it's impossible? I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's gotta be considered.

WVU has so much to play for, a chance at the NC game. It's not like the other upsets that have happened earlier in the year this year. This is like a semifinal game for WVU and they are playing a bad team which has nothing to play for. Pitt cannot even make it to a Bowl. I know that anything is possible but ... as much as anything ever could be an impossibility ... this one is. This game won't even be competitive.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

But I'm not. :rolleyes:

ptmcmahon
11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Nothing to play for? One of the good things about college football is there is almost always something to play for. Beating West Virginia, a huge rival, would probably make Pitt's year. So they have a lot to play for.

You could say OSU's game against Illinois was a "quarterfinal game" and they lost that - certainly not early in the year. I'm not saying Pitt will win either though...but that's what's great about college football - every game is important. If there was a playoff...this game would mean zilch. That's why I'm personally 100% fine with no playoff...every game all year is important (potentially).

Sebastien447
11-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Nothing to play for? One of the good things about college football is there is almost always something to play for. Beating West Virginia, a huge rival, would probably make Pitt's year. So they have a lot to play for.

You could say OSU's game against Illinois was a "quarterfinal game" and they lost that - certainly not early in the year. I'm not saying Pitt will win either though...but that's what's great about college football - every game is important. If there was a playoff...this game would mean zilch. That's why I'm personally 100% fine with no playoff...every game all year is important (potentially).

You keep this up and you'll have me believing that this upset is actually possible, though the game is at WVU ...

Nope, not possible :blahblah:

Sebastien447
12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
PLEASE let me be wrong!

PLEASE let me be wrong!

PLEASE let me be wrong!

*praying for wrongness*

Sebastien447
12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
INJURY! IF WHITE IS OUT, PITT WINS, I'M WRONG, AND BUCKEYES ARE IN!

dryrunguy
12-01-2007, 06:43 PM
And the Sooners just went up 14-6 on Missouri... :freekingout:

dryrunguy
12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Woo hoo!!!! We're in! And Missouri is struggling too.

Dry

verucasalt
12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Such a screwy day in college football.
I guess all I can say COME ON BIG TEN! Let's go Ohio State!

ptmcmahon
12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I told ya so!

Like I said...Ohio State was in the best position entering the day.

Who do you think is #2 now? I'm thinking LSU moves up, but I'm not as sure of that as I was that #1 or #2 would lose.

mrjiggyfly2
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
a disgusting, sickening, wretched, hideous performance by West Virginia. They were a four touchdown favorite at home. disgraceful

jsd123789456
12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
yuck is all i can say as a missouri student and fan. we played our worst game of the year and oklahoma deserved to win with their game plan compared to our lack thereof. and with hawaii down by a touchdown and playing badly now as well, i vote we call off the national championship game altogether. i mean no one deserves it this year.

Sebastien447
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM
REDEMPTION!!!
WILL BE OURS!
GO BUCKEYES!!!

Sebastien447
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
a disgusting, sickening, wretched, hideous performance by West Virginia. They were a four touchdown favorite at home. disgraceful

Once White went down I knew WVU would likely go down. Just another team that depends too much on one guy.

Sebastien447
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
yuck is all i can say as a missouri student and fan. we played our worst game of the year and oklahoma deserved to win with their game plan compared to our lack thereof. and with hawaii down by a touchdown and playing badly now as well, i vote we call off the national championship game altogether. i mean no one deserves it this year.

Boo hoo hoo! Missouri were pretenders. Buh bye now. The National Championship game will go on just fine without you.

jsd123789456
12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Boo hoo hoo! Missouri were pretenders

very true, and one of my worries the past two weeks since our defense has been pretty bad most of this year. throw in a braindead coach and you get last nights result. ohio state definitely deserves to go out of the group of 8 teams that have been brought up in all the articles i'm reading, and then we should let appalachian state in as number two, forget that they aren't in the right division of ncaa, its still worth it.

ptmcmahon
12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
I can't see this year's championship game being one of the all time classics...which means it'll probably be a great game.

Darcy
12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Ugh. Was rooting for Mizzou. *sigh* Ah, well...one can only hope for next year to be the year of humiliation for the Buckeyes. :rolleyes:

ptmcmahon
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Looking more like LSu as the day goes by...we'll know for sure in an hour

Sebastien447
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
It's LSwho. They're the most overrated team in CFB this year but for some reason the media has had a lovefest with them all year long. Hence their jump from #7 to #2 in the final week of BCS rankings.

We'll take 'em, but even if we don't, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR MORE WHINING FROM YOU DRY!

GO BUCKEYES DAMNIT!!

oohsalmon
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
This season was such a mess :p

Congrats to OSU, although I fear this may be another SEC vs. Big Ten reality check, although not nearly as severe as the beatdown Florida is going to dump on Michigan in the Capital One Bowl.

Michigan vs. Florida is an interesting match-up, what with all the BCS grumblings from last year, and the fact that Florida is my dad's alma mater.

oohsalmon
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm going to get laughed at, but I think Michigan shoulda gotten the Rose Bowl bid ahead of Illinois. We had the same conference record, and beat them in Champaign.

ptmcmahon
12-03-2007, 04:05 AM
And they would've made it if that win happened after Illinois beat the Buckeyes.

Of course, after losing to App. State - they're very lucky to be playing on New Year's at all

oohsalmon
12-03-2007, 04:46 AM
And they would've made it if that win happened after Illinois beat the Buckeyes.

Of course, after losing to App. State - they're very lucky to be playing on New Year's at all

Oh believe me, with this season in proper perspective, the Capitol One Bowl is a great feat. I wish they still called it the Citrus Bowl to make it more respectable sounding, as it sort of gets lost in the shuffle of (INSERT CORPORATION) Bowl-ville. Not that the Citrus Bowl was the biggest prize when it bore that name. I remember my ol' pal Steve Spurrier mocking Tennessee, saying that you can't spell "Citrus" without "UT."

For all the hype (justified) hype that App. State got, I wish Oregon had done better in the polls. They were unbelievably impressive when I saw them at the Big House, and I wish they had justified my love and made it to the BCS game.

I know they're excited about their Sugar Bowl, but I would be awfully pissed as a Rainbow Warrior right now. Being a Division 1-A team with two fewer losses than a team in the BCS game is an odd scenario.

Selfishly, I wish the Wolverines were in a crappier bowl. If we were playing a day or two earlier, I might've been able to go, but I already had plane tickets to come back to Ann Arbor on 1/2.

I also wish we weren't playing Florida. I grew up a Gators fan, and happily withstand all sorts of crap here about still pulling for them, even though they've been Michigan's Public Enemy #2 of recent behind OSU. We have no shot in that game, I will lose bragging rights in my own home, and Lloyd's final game on the sidelines will be a blowout loss.

At least my Flyers are above .500. :cheesy:

ptmcmahon
12-03-2007, 05:06 AM
For all the hype (justified) hype that App. State got, I wish Oregon had done better in the polls. They were unbelievably impressive when I saw them at the Big House, and I wish they had justified my love and made it to the BCS game.

Better in the polls? I think the 3 straight losses after Dixon went down was the real problem ;) All to unranked teams, only one with a winning record at that. He won't win the Heisman, but it showed how valuable he really was.

Darcy
12-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Better in the polls? I think the 3 straight losses after Dixon went down was the real problem ;) All to unranked teams, only one with a winning record at that. He won't win the Heisman, but it showed how valuable he really was.

Right. Can't blame them for their results after losing such a key player.
Really heartbreaking for them.

This season sucked, really. First, as a Michigan fan, and then all the nice stories didn't pan out for me...Oregon and Mizzou. Leaving me with hated SC and Ohio State....grrrr....and no tennis.

Ok, on to hockey and b-ball....

Sebastien447
12-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Right. Can't blame them for their results after losing such a key player.
Really heartbreaking for them.

This season sucked, really. First, as a Michigan fan, and then all the nice stories didn't pan out for me...Oregon and Mizzou. Leaving me with hated SC and Ohio State....grrrr.

GO BUCKEYES!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Darcy
12-03-2007, 07:02 AM
GO BUCKEYES!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:blahblah:

Do me a favor and slip on those... :evil:

dryrunguy
12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Sebs, I've learned my lesson. ;)

I'm so thrilled for the Bucks!

Now if only I can get the Brownies to hold it together and make the playoffs... It'll be a good year for Ohio football.

Dry

Sebastien447
12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Sebs, I've learned my lesson. ;)

I'm so thrilled for the Bucks!

Now if only I can get the Brownies to hold it together and make the playoffs... It'll be a good year for Ohio football.

Dry

Oh my! I didn't know you were a fan of those other Ohio teams.

I understand now. You have a right to whine.

kayce
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I go to UO... So I'm a big duck supporter! I only missed 2 home games this year. We had such a great season, but all the injuries killed us! I mean really, our 5th string quarterback did really well in the civil war! And if we hadn't lost our best receivers and a few other players along with all those quarterbacks, we still might have done better without Dixon!

dryrunguy
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Oh my! I didn't know you were a fan of those other Ohio teams.

I understand now. You have a right to whine.

The Browns, yes. The Bengals, never. Which made Sunday particularly painful. You'd think that the Browns would have a good shot against the 49ers, while Tennessee SHOULD lose to the Colts. But with the Browns, you just never know. The sad thing is that, regardless, this season gives new hope for the future for Browns fans; unfortunately, everything will change next year when they're forced to play a legitimate, more demanding schedule.

Dry

ptmcmahon
12-28-2007, 04:08 AM
Your record only decides 2 of 16 games...their success will barely create a more demanding schedule - since they were 2nd they'll still miss 2 of 3 division winners.

dryrunguy
12-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Your record only decides 2 of 16 games...their success will barely create a more demanding schedule - since they were 2nd they'll still miss 2 of 3 division winners.

Ah, thanks for the correction. Was it different 10 years ago or so?

Dry

ptmcmahon
12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I forget the rules before but I do believe more games were based on record. Now it's only the 2 intraconference games against the division you don't play completely that are decided by what place you finished in your division (did that sentence make sense.) And as you see there is so much turn over, it's hard to say that this year's top teams are next year's, save for maybe a few constants like NE and Ind. Easier to look at strength of schedule at the end of the year and see who got off easy for the past year (ex. got to play the NFC West, like Cleveland did :) )

And of course remember all divisions are not created evil. For those two mentioned games a 6-10 2nd place team could play a 12-4 2nd place team!

mrjiggyfly2
12-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I go to UO... So I'm a big duck supporter! I only missed 2 home games this year. We had such a great season, but all the injuries killed us! I mean really, our 5th string quarterback did really well in the civil war! And if we hadn't lost our best receivers and a few other players along with all those quarterbacks, we still might have done better without Dixon!

Dixon was outstanding. That was a shame when his season ended.

verucasalt
12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there no love for the other Big 10 team in a major bowl game- The Illini?

Truth be told I haven't really noticed the Illini during the season. But I wished I had. Not a lot of people are giving them a chance against USC but it would be nice for them and my home state to finally get some CFB glory and pull off the upset win.

ptmcmahon
12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
USC is going to be playing angry, so I don't see it...but they were exciting against OSU, so should be a fun game.

Working New Year's Day but we won't be getting any calls, so I'll be being paid to watch college football!

Scotty
12-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Is there no love for the other Big 10 team in a major bowl game- The Illini?

Truth be told I haven't really noticed the Illini during the season. But I wished I had. Not a lot of people are giving them a chance against USC but it would be nice for them and my home state to finally get some CFB glory and pull off the upset win.

My two favorite teams are UCLA, and whoever is playing against USC.

So GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Illini!

verucasalt
01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately experience won out. But at least now the Illini know what it takes to get to this level and beat strong teams.

:yahoo::rockon::banana: :woot: for Michigan. It wasn't the title game, and it wasn't the Rose Bowl, but they finally got their act together and won something. Now if only they can remain healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, they may just make it next year.

Sebastien447
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately experience won out. But at least now the Illini know what it takes to get to this level and beat strong teams.

:yahoo::rockon::banana: :woot: for Michigan. It wasn't the title game, and it wasn't the Rose Bowl, but they finally got their act together and won something. Now if only they can remain healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, they may just make it next year.

Michigan won but they sure did try to give it away today. Hart is such a doofus. Illinois never had a chance. I wish they had been placed in a bowl they had a chance to win.

verucasalt
01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Michigan won but they sure did try to give it away today. Hart is such a doofus. Illinois never had a chance. I wish they had been placed in a bowl they had a chance to win.

Boy do I know. They made so many bonehead mistakes they're really lucky they were able to pull the win out.

I know the Illini never had a chance, but I so wanted them to perform well. They're just too young and inexperienced. It really showed in their lack of positioning and ability to finish a play. I just hope this lost doesn't set them too far back.

ptmcmahon
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Was hoping UGA-Hawaii would turn out to be something special but it was a clunker. This should prove to everyone crying for Hawaii to get a title game shot that they didn't really deserve it

oohsalmon
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Was hoping UGA-Hawaii would turn out to be something special but it was a clunker. This should prove to everyone crying for Hawaii to get a title game shot that they didn't really deserve it

I stand by my belief that Hawaii shoulda been in the BCS title game :)

ptmcmahon
01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
It'd be like a tennis player who only entered tier 2 events, barely won them, then played at a major and lose 6-1 6-1! Did you watch the game last night?

While we're at it...why dont we take division 2 and division 3 teams with better records as well, since apparently record is all that matters...since thats about the level of competition Hawaii played

mrjiggyfly2
01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I have never seen a worse coached game than the one by Frank Beamer of Virginia Tech. His big men are dominating both sides of the line of scrimmage. Kansas has not shown that they can stop the run. Yet Mr. Beamer continues to insist on throwing the ball. Kansas has three interceptions which they've turned into 17 points.

Also the punt returner for Va Tech has let two piunts bounce costing them major field position.

Sebastien447
01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Nobody

Say

Anything

patrick
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
LSU wins BCS championship 38-24 over Ohio State. SEC just proved that it is the best conference in the nation.

dryrunguy
01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Congrats to LSU... I wish I actually meant that... LOL!

Dry

kayce
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Oregon could have took them all! If we hadn't lost half of our players to injury.

ptmcmahon
01-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Ohio State scores very early and then gets whomped...Deja vu?

At least it was closer than last year and they had a chance to get back into it.

Darcy
01-08-2008, 05:04 AM
LSU wins BCS championship 38-24 over Ohio State. SEC just proved that it is the best conference in the nation.

Uh...Michiganders do not agree! :p

oohsalmon
01-08-2008, 05:08 AM
If they'd've listened to me, and put Hawaii in the national championship game...

ptmcmahon
01-08-2008, 05:15 AM
...they would've lost, but I'm not 100% sure it would've been any worse than the beating Georgia put on them

ptmcmahon
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
SEC just proved that it is the best conference in the nation.

To add some fuel to the fire...Georgia finished #2 giving the SEC #1 and #2

verucasalt
01-08-2008, 07:50 AM

I wanted Ohio State to win just to stop this talk. Ugh.

patrick
01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
To add some fuel to the fire...Georgia finished #2 giving the SEC #1 and #2

AP - LSU 60 first place votes Georgia 3 USC 1 Kansas 1.

Matter of fact, I believe that Georgia and USC were playing the best football at the end of the season. LSU needed Ainge to throw INT to win SEC championship and Ohio St cruised with a lightweight schedule.

ptmcmahon
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Sounds like there's serious talk of the +1 sometime in the future...of course there are still major obstacles so who knows if this will happen. The Rose Bowl will probably try to find some way to block it.

I got Stewart Mandel's Polls, Bowls, and Tattered Souls book for Christmas...looking forward to reading it!

jsd123789456
01-08-2008, 01:26 PM

yuck.

Darcy
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Matter of fact, I believe that Georgia and USC were playing the best football at the end of the season. LSU needed Ainge to throw INT to win SEC championship and Ohio St cruised with a lightweight schedule.

Hee, patrick. You carry that "no-nonsense" style wherever you go!

patrick
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Hee, patrick. You carry that "no-nonsense" style wherever you go!

That style is fun, sometimes:)

oohsalmon
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
This was the most bizarre sporting event I've ever been at in person. Just bizarre as hell.

But good. :cheesy:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-2-244/Michigan-comeback-sparks--Big--House-Party.html

tobiasfunke
09-28-2008, 08:21 PM
This was the most bizarre sporting event I've ever been at in person. Just bizarre as hell.

But good. :cheesy:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-2-244/Michigan-comeback-sparks--Big--House-Party.html

Sounds amazing, and a lot better then being in Athens yesterday. UGA should learn how to use fan support cause they certainly had it yesterday, but still, nothing. That, or get a whole new offensive line.

Are there not more CFB fans here?

ptmcmahon
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds amazing, and a lot better then being in Athens yesterday. UGA should learn how to use fan support cause they certainly had it yesterday, but still, nothing. That, or get a whole new offensive line.

Yup...I am...but I find I only really get into it for the last month or so, and the bowls. Notre Dame fan here (that's not as embarrassing to admit this year as some others.)

mwoods
09-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Yes, but when you're a University of Arizona fan, calling yourself a football fan is generous...

patrick
09-29-2008, 04:01 AM

At least UGA did not give up in the 2nd half after Bama ran off to a 31-0 lead. When UGA was down 34-17 and driving, they had 3 dropped passes and a crucial hold on 4th down where they made a 4th and 15. If not for those events, UGA would have been really back in the game. Nick Saban for Bama was not happy after the game and even though, Bama is 2, he is still not happy as UGA exposed that young defense. Moreno may not play against Tennessee on 10/11 due to his wrist.

tobiasfunke
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
At least UGA did not give up in the 2nd half after Bama ran off to a 31-0 lead. When UGA was down 34-17 and driving, they had 3 dropped passes and a crucial hold on 4th down where they made a 4th and 15. If not for those events, UGA would have been really back in the game. Nick Saban for Bama was not happy after the game and even though, Bama is 2, he is still not happy as UGA exposed that young defense. Moreno may not play against Tennessee on 10/11 due to his wrist.

Our week off could not be more needed right now. The injuries are adding up. Knowshon's elbow is "severely bruised." Stafford took a beating as well.

Not all is bad here is Bulldog Nation. FLORIDA LOST!

amenssen
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm waiting for the rain to stop in Chicago so that I can watch the White sox game, so i'm watching the replay of the USC v. Oregon St. game on ESPN 360 all the talk about the reason Ohio St. not being fast enough on defense has been well documented, but that looks to be the undoing of USC. The Rodgers brothers, who are outrageously fast, are just running circles around USC. Those big linebackers just can't catch them

kayce
10-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Someone please just kill me now... I'm sure Oregon will find a way to make an even bigger mess of this...

tobiasfunke
10-25-2008, 06:46 PM
GEORGIA BULLDOGS!!! Big win for us.

patrick
10-25-2008, 08:19 PM
GEORGIA BULLDOGS!!! Big win for us.

Yep. Now, the Florida Gators await those 'Dogs at the cocktail party after winning 63-5. Meanwhile, Tennessee problems continue as Bama wins 29-9.

amenssen
10-25-2008, 08:27 PM
well half the championship game is full. At this point i will absolutly floored if Penn St. isn't in. Alabama and Texas would both have to win out, and I just don't see that happening

ptmcmahon
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
3 games left...two with winning records. I would not be the least bit floored if Penn State loses one of those. This is college football remember. To prove the point check out the end of page 6/beginning of page 7 of this thread about the last week of last year...ex "WVU is in since there is no way in hell they will lose to a pathetic Pitt team" - but they did. I said Ohio State was in the best position since they were #3 but done playing...then #1 and #2 both lost - I said it was 1/3 that one loses and about 2/3 that they both do.

It's just as likely that Penn State lose one of the three but still make the championship game! Actually, with Ohio State getting thrashed in the last two championship games...I don't see a one loss Big 10 champ making the title game.

I do agree they should currently be in the best shape to make it though! Still lots of time to play.

mwoods
10-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Ugg. My Wildcats had so many chances against USC. Again.

One of these years... :rolleyes:

patrick
11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
(7) Texas Tech 39 (1) Texas 33

After Texas took their first lead of the game with 1:29 to go, Tech marched the ball back down the field and scored on a pass with :01 to go.

oohsalmon
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Congrats to Rich Rodriguez! Incredible!

ptmcmahon
11-01-2008, 09:58 PM
The Texas - Texas Tech game was the first one I sat down and watched most of this year (outside of my Fighting Irish that is.) What a great game, thought Colt had pulled it out. That's one instance of where the crowd really can make a difference in the game...Texas Tech had to kick off from their end zone after the fans twice stormed the field despite the game not being done (I can see the first...but the second time? The extra point doesn't take off time.) Speaking of extra points...why did Texas Tech not go for two? The announcers didn't pick up on it, but if Texas scored...it would've been the huge topic of the game.

Anyways, I'd assume Texas Tech goes to #3. Let's says Alabama and Penn State win out. Can Texas Tech still make it to the title game? They have Oklohoma State and Oklohoma next (both top 10 teams), plus Baylor, and then the title game against...maybe Missouri? I'm thinking if Texas Tech win out they pass by Penn State.

patrick
11-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Texas Tech will lose to Oklahoma so they going to the title game will be a moot point. All teams need to be aware of Florida.

tobiasfunke
11-02-2008, 06:43 AM
All teams need to be aware of Florida.

:pissedoff:

But yeah, probably. There goes Georgia's shot at the SEC title game. We'll just win out and go to the Capital One Bowl or something. Oh well. Next year will be the year.

owendonovan
11-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Ill learn to work the saxophone
Ill play just what I feel
Drink scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the crimson tide
Call me deacon blues

ptmcmahon
11-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm interested to see Texas's rank today. One of my pet peeves of college football is how teams are rewarded for losing earlier in the season. I would say Texas is probably the best 1 loss team - or maybe Florida - I'd have them 4-5, but I'll bet USC is above them despite their bad loss.

patrick
11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Finals

(1) Alabama 27 LSU 21 OT
Iowa 24 (3) Penn State 23
Georgia 42 Kentucky 38

tobiasfunke
11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Georgia 42 Kentucky 38

This game was too close. Yikes.

oohsalmon
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Michigan won :undecided:

I was kinda hoping they'd lose out so they'd fire Rich Rodriguez.

ptmcmahon
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
well half the championship game is full. At this point i will absolutly floored if Penn St. isn't in. Alabama and Texas would both have to win out, and I just don't see that happening

I guess you're floored now? Like I said, no upset in college football surprises me. Right now I would be less surprised if neither Alabama nor Texas Tech made the title game than if they both made it. Alabama lucky to pull one out today!

Michigan won :undecided:

I was kinda hoping they'd lose out so they'd fire Rich Rodriguez.

Everyone says it takes a year or two to get used to the spread...Michigan is stuck with him for at least another year! As a ND fan I think among all other teams I get the most pleasure from watching Michigan struggle.

ptmcmahon
11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
So let's say Oklohoma beats Texas Tech...what happens then? Those two and Texas each have one loss, only to each other. How does one of those three get picked, especially if it's a tight game?

And if whoever goes the Big 12 title game gets upset...does one of the other two then go to the national title game?

Hard to not think the Florida - Alabama winner in the SEC Championship gets in...unless Florida loses another before then, or Alabama...lose twice even!

ptmcmahon
11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Found out the answer today:

"If the Sooners win, they'll create a three-way tie for first in the Big 12 South. If the Sooners, Longhorns and Red Raiders finish deadlocked, the tiebreaker to determine who plays in the Big 12 championship game in Kansas City on Dec. 6 is best BCS average."

So if Oklohoma beat Texas Tech...probably Texas going to the Big 12 Title Game, and championship game with a win there - they are doing great in the BCS.

kayce
11-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone see Oregon's new uniforms? Best yet! I love them!

mwoods
11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Anyone see Oregon's new uniforms? Best yet! I love them!

I don't want to talk about it. :mad:

;) :rolleyes:

ptmcmahon
11-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Who chokes today? I say Oklohoma.

Looks like I was right about the three team Big 12 mess - get ready for more calls for a playoff (unless both Texas Tech and Oklohoma lose today....stranger things have happened.)

ptmcmahon
11-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Texas Tech down at halftime...think if they lose it guarantees Texas goes to Big 12 title game - having head to head tiebreaker with Oklohoma if they win (and obviously if they lose too)

Togtdyalttai
11-29-2008, 02:39 PM
The ACC is finally being sorted out. If Boston College wins, 2 teams in the ACC will actually have won when they're expected to (gasp!)

patrick
11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Florida 45 Florida State 15 and Alabama 36 Auburn 0. Winner next week goes to the BCS championship game.

Texas Tech dodged a bullet against Baylor

Togtdyalttai
11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
The strangest scenario I could see happening is that Oklahoma somehow loses to Oklahoma State. That would mean that Texas Tech would win the Big 12 South. If Texas Tech went on to beat Missouri in the Big 12 title game, that could possibly give them a case to be in the BCS Championship game instead of Texas.

patrick
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
The strangest scenario I could see happening is that Oklahoma somehow loses to Oklahoma State. That would mean that Texas Tech would win the Big 12 South. If Texas Tech went on to beat Missouri in the Big 12 title game, that could possibly give them a case to be in the BCS Championship game instead of Texas.

Oklahoma State 10-7.

Yep, on Texas Tech if your scneario happens

Togtdyalttai
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Oregon State's losing 51-31 to Oregon in the 4th quarter. This probably means that USC wins the Pac 10 yet again, and that Ohio State goes to yet another BCS bowl. Ugh. Both of those teams make me sick.

patrick
11-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Oregon State's losing 51-31 to Oregon in the 4th quarter. This probably means that USC wins the Pac 10 yet again, and that Ohio State goes to yet another BCS bowl. Ugh. Both of those teams make me sick.

Ohio State do not deserve BCS bowl

Predictions(if Oklahoma win)
Rose - Penn St vs USC
Sugar - Alabama vs Texas Tech
Orange - Cincinnati vs Boston College/Virginia Tech
Fiesta - Texas vs Utah
BCS - Florida vs Oklahoma

Togtdyalttai
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
One problem with your predictions: only 2 teams from a conference can go to a BCS bowl. So TT is out. Basically it's between Ohio State and Boise State. I really hope it's Boise State.

patrick
11-29-2008, 08:55 PM
One problem with your predictions: only 2 teams from a conference can go to a BCS bowl. So TT is out. Basically it's between Ohio State and Boise State. I really hope it's Boise State.

Forgot about that. Ouch....

Texas Tech to the Cotton Bowl.

oohsalmon
11-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Ball State should be there too.

ptmcmahon
11-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I think we're all hoping for Boise State to make it (except Buckeye fans) but not holding our breath. Heck, since Notre Dame is eligible for a bowl, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to find some way for them to make it!

I'd also rather see Ball State, but no way that's happening. If Boise make it, that will be miracle enough.

Togtdyalttai
11-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes there's no possible way Ball State makes it, though that would be cool. Boise probably will be passed over in favor of Buckeye "tradition" :sick:

oohsalmon
11-29-2008, 11:13 PM
The Big Ten blows, none of them should make it. Same goes for the Big East. Hell, the ACC, too.

ptmcmahon
11-30-2008, 07:08 AM
The Mountain West could make a case that they'd be much more worthy of the automatic BCS pick this year than some of the other conferences...three top 20 teams, all had solid years and really only lost to each other (except one loss I think.)

So who does the BCS pick? Probably Oklohoma, but I think it's gonna be REAL close. And if whoever they pick loses the Big 12 title game...the other one goes to the national title game. And then where does that drop the Big 12 title game loser since Missouri would have the second BCS game for the Big 12? Might drop them quite a bit.

I like how the coaches come up with anything to say their team deserves the spot. Texas Tech's coach has decided that the best way to break the tie...is by graduation rate! (Guess who's is highest?)

patrick
11-30-2008, 07:25 AM
The Mountain West could make a case that they'd be much more worthy of the automatic BCS pick this year than some of the other conferences...three top 20 teams, all had solid years and really only lost to each other (except one loss I think.)

So who does the BCS pick? Probably Oklohoma, but I think it's gonna be REAL close. And if whoever they pick loses the Big 12 title game...the other one goes to the national title game. And then where does that drop the Big 12 title game loser since Missouri would have the second BCS game for the Big 12? Might drop them quite a bit.

I like how the coaches come up with anything to say their team deserves the spot. Texas Tech's coach has decided that the best way to break the tie...is by graduation rate! (Guess who's is highest?)

Mountain West : Correct on those 3 teams(Utah, BYU,TCU) as their only loss outside of them was Oklahoma defeating TCU.

Big 12: Correct on Texas/Oklahoma being the other finalist. Mizzou do grab that 2nd BCS spot if they win and the loser will probably drop below them with the Texas/Oklahoma loser and Texas Tech will be playing in the Cotton and Holiday bowls.

ptmcmahon
11-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Right...forgot the loss was to Oklohoma....I heard they're pretty decent this year.

Fox announces the BCS standings, and they don't have the NFL doubleheader today, so guessing they'll announce one the early games are done today. Looking forward to it.

Togtdyalttai
11-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I think there's a minuscule chance that USC leapfrogs Texas or Oklahoma to get into the Championship Game if the higher rated team in today's BCS standings loses to Missouri in the Big 12 Championship Game. Some voters don't want to see teams that lose their own conference have a chance to win the championship, and USC has been very dominant lately. I think they have at least somewhat of an argument.

Togtdyalttai
11-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh, and about the Mountain West, I think it's in 2011 that the BCS formula will be evaluated and one of the things that will be evaluated is which conferences deserve an auto-bid. The Mountain West may be awarded an auto-bid if they continue to have seasons like this one.

oohsalmon
11-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh, and about the Mountain West, I think it's in 2011 that the BCS formula will be evaluated and one of the things that will be evaluated is which conferences deserve an auto-bid. The Mountain West may be awarded an auto-bid if they continue to have seasons like this one.

The Big East needs to lose theirs.

shrubflower
11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm from Norman and I'm so excited! Boomer Sooner, baby!

verucasalt
11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm from Norman and I'm so excited! Boomer Sooner, baby!

Oklahoma certainly looked like a national title contender yesterday.

Togtdyalttai
11-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, Oklahoma will be playing for the title if they beat Missouri in the Big 12 Championship.

patrick
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Wait until Florida/Alabama get a hold of Oklahoma(assuming they beat Missouri) or Texas in the BCS title game.

tobiasfunke
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Wait until Florida/Alabama get a hold of Oklahoma(assuming they beat Missouri) or Texas in the BCS title game.

I'll be shocked if Florida isn't in the BCS title game. I'll expect them to win there too. But, oh my God, I hate them so much. Oh well.

Also, the ACC is the WORST.

patrick
11-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I'll be shocked if Florida isn't in the BCS title game. I'll expect them to win there too. But, oh my God, I hate them so much. Oh well.

Also, the ACC is the WORST.

Big East has got to be on the same level with the ACC. Speaking of the ACC, what happened to that Bulldog D as Tech ran for 409 yds as they erased a 28-12 deficit?

Togtdyalttai
11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
The Bulldogs' D was never really that great. See: Alabama 41, Georgia 30; Georgia 52, LSU 38; Florida 49, Georgia 10; Georgia 42, Kentucky 38.

tobiasfunke
11-30-2008, 06:17 PM
The Bulldogs' D was never really that great. See: Alabama 41, Georgia 30; Georgia 52, LSU 38; Florida 49, Georgia 10; Georgia 42, Kentucky 38.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Yeah defense is a problem. Having to score 40-50 points to win games is not good.

Edit: we had a couple of injuries at the beginning of the season on defense, so there's that.

kayce
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I loved that Oregon vs Oregon State game... hehehe.

I hope Boise gets it too... Even though we should have beat them ;)

Togtdyalttai
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, I don't know what kind of case you can make that Ohio State is a better team than Boise State, and other teams should be given a chance to end the Buckeyes' stranglehold on a BCS bowl spot virtually every year. Oh and here's my reasoning why Boise State's better: Boise State beat Oregon, who beat Oregon State, who beat USC, who beat Ohio Sate.

oohsalmon
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I find it absolutely absurd that a team could go undefeated and not be in the title game of their sport. It's ridiculous to think that Ball State, for example, never lost a single game, played their season perfectly, and doesn't have a fair shot at #1.

ptmcmahon
12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I find it absolutely absurd that a team could go undefeated and not be in the title game of their sport. It's ridiculous to think that Ball State, for example, never lost a single game, played their season perfectly, and doesn't have a fair shot at #1.

Sigh...here we go again. They played a weak schedule, and in a weak conference. Their biggest win was probably against Navy. I don't think they played a single team ranked in the top 25. I can see some argumemts for Utah and Boise State...but really? You honestly think Ball State could compete with ANY of the top 10 teams?

I'm one of the minority that doesn't want a playoff though. I like how important every single game is...you can't afford a single let down (unless you're the Buckeyes.) Everything is important, and I like the bowl system. That said, the $$$ a playoff could bring makes it seem inevitable to me. I'll be watching either way.

oohsalmon
12-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Sigh...here we go again. They played a weak schedule, and in a weak conference. Their biggest win was probably against Navy. I don't think they played a single team ranked in the top 25. I can see some argumemts for Utah and Boise State...but really? You honestly think Ball State could compete with ANY of the top 10 teams?

I'm one of the minority that doesn't want a playoff though. I like how important every single game is...you can't afford a single let down (unless you're the Buckeyes.) Everything is important, and I like the bowl system. That said, the $$$ a playoff could bring makes it seem inevitable to me. I'll be watching either way.

Yeah but you think therefore that Ball State was ruled out of title contention before the season ever started? I have a fundamental problem with that.

Togtdyalttai
12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Salmon, your best hope to change that is that Obama is able to get a playoff system set up.

oohsalmon
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Salmon, your best hope to change that is that Obama is able to get a playoff system set up.

Well that's the real reason I voted for him :cheesy:.

But I don't agree that it should be eight teams. I want sixteen.

Togtdyalttai
12-02-2008, 11:43 AM
But I don't agree that it should be eight teams. I want sixteen.
I feel the same way.

ptmcmahon
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Team #17 will then be complaining about how it's not fair. For example...right now Boston College is #17. Imagine the complaing if the ACC Champ gets left out? #18 is a very decent 10-2 BYU - they'll complain they were ranked low because of their conference too. And the Sun Belt conference doesn't even have a team ranked in the top 25. Their conference champ has no chance either!

I like that there's at least one last unique sport that has a different way of doing things. And whether you think the BCS is total BS or not...you have to admit it is exciting and interesting at the least. There has been almost no end of season dullness because of it. I think Barrack should butt out, and not just because I'm one of the minority against a playoff.

oohsalmon
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Team #17 will then be complaining about how it's not fair. For example...right now Boston College is #17. Imagine the complaing if the ACC Champ gets left out? #18 is a very decent 10-2 BYU - they'll complain they were ranked low because of their conference too. And the Sun Belt conference doesn't even have a team ranked in the top 25. Their conference champ has no chance either!

I like that there's at least one last unique sport that has a different way of doing things. And whether you think the BCS is total BS or not...you have to admit it is exciting and interesting at the least. There has been almost no end of season dullness because of it. I think Barrack should butt out, and not just because I'm one of the minority against a playoff.

I think it's much less of a problem for #17 to get left out than #9. It's interesting, yes, but I wouldn't call it exciting, and I certainly wouldn't ever preclude a fairer system because the current one was interesting.

Togtdyalttai
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM

For one, if the ACC champ wouldn't get left out of a playoff, they'd get an autobid. About BYU, keep in mind that Washington took them to the final seconds and could've sent the game to overtime with a 2-point conversion. And the Sun Belt? Forget them, they suck. CUSA would also be without a bid this year, and I don't have a problem with that either. Their best team, Tulsa, lost to a very mediocre Arkansas squad, showing that they'd have no chance against the better teams.

I also agree with Salmon about the #17 better than #9 thing, but of course there would be problems with the system, there always is. The biggest argument against a playoff for me, is, like you mentioned, ptmcmahon, that the BCS is what makes College Football different. With a playoff, it would look pretty similar to College Basketball. And while College Basketball is very exciting in February and March, the beginning of the season is not nearly as meaningful as football's. I worry about that impact on the beginning of the season.

ptmcmahon
12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
CUSA would also be without a bid this year, and I don't have a problem with that either. Their best team, Tulsa, lost to a very mediocre Arkansas squad, showing that they'd have no chance against the better teams.

I completely forgot about that conference...shows how good they are!

The biggest argument against a playoff for me, is, like you mentioned, ptmcmahon, that the BCS is what makes College Football different. With a playoff, it would look pretty similar to College Basketball. And while College Basketball is very exciting in February and March, the beginning of the season is not nearly as meaningful as football's. I worry about that impact on the beginning of the season.

Imagine if we had a 16 game playoff. Texas Tech, Oklohoma, and Texas all would have had their spots wrapped up before last week, so all of a sudden those games aren't important at all. Florida and Alabama's too. Sure we have a potentially fairer system, but geeze, that seems a lot less exciting to me - regular season loses a lot of importance. USC and Penn State's one losses aren't "WOW! What a loss, now they can't make the title game!" anymore. They're ho-hum. Seems it would hurt all of the regular season to some degree.

The college basketball observation is right on. I try to watch every March Madness game I can. I never watch a game before the tournament though. Almost all the games don't really matter.

oohsalmon
12-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah but what's the fun in having teams get "eliminated" when they lose early (say Florida losing to Mississippi St.), only to later get into the national title game because everybody else was worse?

oohsalmon
12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Sixteen is still really really few teams given the hundreds in the mix. Not to mention that the current bowl system creates an absolutely ridiculous layoff between bowls and the season. Ohio State was idle for something like 55 days before their BCS game. The playoff system would make the teams fresh and tested for the championship game.

ptmcmahon
12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah but what's the fun in having teams get "eliminated" when they lose early (say Florida losing to Mississippi St.), only to later get into the national title game because everybody else was worse?

They're not eliminated for sure! That's why all of the Florida games were still important. And the way Florida have been playing yeah a lot of teams are "worse" than them. Seems the current system makes for a more important overall regular season (hard not to say the most important regular season in sports), while a playoff would make for a more exciting finish.

Sixteen is still really really few teams given the hundreds in the mix. Not to mention that the current bowl system creates an absolutely ridiculous layoff between bowls and the season. Ohio State was idle for something like 55 days before their BCS game. The playoff system would make the teams fresh and tested for the championship game.

Agreed, but that may more be a result of the time of year anyways. Not sure a playoff would necessarily change that - games would probably be late December or all in January anyways. Would probably shorten it a touch, but still will be a lot. That's a major bummer for sure no matter what and if a playoff was immediately after the regular season that'd be a good argument for it.

Togtdyalttai
12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Notre Dame has chosen to keep Charlie Weis as its coach next year. For me, this is a stupid move. He hasn't done anything significant in his tenure. Even so, it's good for Notre Dame to have some sort of continuity in coaching.

verucasalt
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Notre Dame has chosen to keep Charlie Weis as its coach next year. For me, this is a stupid move. He hasn't done anything significant in his tenure. Even so, it's good for Notre Dame to have some sort of continuity in coaching.

I doubt Notre Dame would be able to get any high caliber coach to take over. South Bend is one of the worst places to coach in. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 8 figure buyout had a part in the decision.

ptmcmahon
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
As a ND fan I'm looking forward to someone being allowed to stick around for more than 3-4 years...not that I'm convinced he will be any good.

patrick
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Speaking of coaches, Tommy Tuberville has resigned today with a career record of 85-40 at Auburn. Experts are saying that Alabama doing well this year, Alabama getting the major recruits, and Auburn wanted Tommy to make changes. Tommy felt like he did not have the energy to continue after 10 years.

Togtdyalttai
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Tommy Tuberville did a good job overall as a coach. This year just wasn't his year, and it doesn't look like next year would be either. His situation is very similar to Phillip Fulmer's because they each did great at first but then stagnated near the end of their jobs. I think the highlight of his, other than beating Alabama so often, was his undefeated season in 2004. Auburn should have gone to the championship game to play USC, but instead USC throttled Oklahoma.

patrick
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Tommy Tuberville did a good job overall as a coach. This year just wasn't his year, and it doesn't look like next year would be either. His situation is very similar to Phillip Fulmer's because they each did great at first but then stagnated near the end of their jobs. I think the highlight of his, other than beating Alabama so often, was his undefeated season in 2004. Auburn should have gone to the championship game to play USC, but instead USC throttled Oklahoma.

Spot on!

Togtdyalttai
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Spot on!

Merci!

ptmcmahon
12-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Ball State lost the MAC title game to powerhouse 8-5 Buffalo. Whether or not it was fair...certainly looks like it was right to exclude Ball State from championship considerations - or even BCS considerations at that!

Last chance for upsets today. If Missouri win, that HAS to mean Texas goes to the title game right?

mrjiggyfly2
12-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Ball State lost the MAC title game to powerhouse 8-5 Buffalo. Whether or not it was fair...certainly looks like it was right to exclude Ball State from championship considerations - or even BCS considerations at that!

Last chance for upsets today. If Missouri win, that HAS to mean Texas goes to the title game right?

If Missouri wins, doesn't that sort of discredit Texas' victory over OU and perhaps open the door for Pete Carroll. ;)
Just kidding. I believe that if Mizzou upsets OU then Texas would go to the BCS title game.

patrick
12-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Today predicted winners:
ACC - Virginia Tech
SEC - Florida
Big 12 - Oklahoma
Pac 10 - USC (regular season game win against UCLA)

Togtdyalttai
12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Heck, I want to see USC vs. Alabama in the championship game. Then you get some defense. Take Florida vs. Oklahoma: the winner of that game would be the first to stop the other team.

amenssen
12-06-2008, 10:26 AM
urban Meyer has just said that it is likely that Percy Harvin will not play. However this just as easily could be deception.

If he doesn't play I think that really hearts there chances. They are infinatly more dangerous with him on the field along with Tebow and Demps running that spread option that has turned around their season

oohsalmon
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM

I was thrilled but disappointed that Ball State lost. It means there will have been no massive injustice to them this year. But it also means there will be slightly less reason for necessary reform.

patrick
12-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Its showtime in Atlanta as the following is about to happen:

Alabama vs Florida. Winner to the BCS Championship Game.

amenssen
12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Harvin is on the sideline with no shoulder pads, thats a huge loss for Florida. However I still think that they will win.

patrick
12-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Harvin is on the sideline with no shoulder pads, thats a huge loss for Florida. However I still think that they will win.

Yep. Percy is out. He pleaded to Meyer and Meyer said no.

patrick
12-06-2008, 01:33 PM
7-all Florida and Alabama. 1st quarter

patrick
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Florida is on their way to Miami while Alabama goes to New Orleans

Florida 31 Alabama 20

amenssen
12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Go Missouri!

patrick
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Oklahoma 38 Missouri 7 Halftime

Togtdyalttai
12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Here's how the BCS bowls should look when they're revealed tomorrow:

Rose: USC vs. Penn State
Sugar: Alabama vs. Ohio State/Utah
Fiesta: Texas vs. Ohio State/Utah (the BCS might put these teams in either place)
Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
National Championship: Oklahoma vs. Florida

If only Ohio State would be passed over for Boise State...

patrick
12-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Oklahoma 62 Missouri 21