PDA

View Full Version : Updated Womens SP Picks and Results Thread

Moose
09-02-2007, 08:09 AM
This is a list of the players that have survived the first 3 rounds of the US Open Womens Suicide pool. As you can see, once again, The US has proven to be the most difficult of the yar's SP's. From starting with 239 players just 6 days ago, we are now below 10.

Congratulations and best of luck to our remaining players. And please remember to make use of this list when making your remaining picks. We can't afford to lose anyone due to a duplicate selection at this point!

CDavid99 Sugiyama - Krajicek - Bartoli - Azarenka - Safina - Kuznetsova - Jankovic - Peer - V. Williams - Chakvedatze - Henin

Charlie02123 Safina - Hingis - Bartoli - Peer - Safina (double-pick)

JJNow Safarova - Granville - Bartoli - Schnyder - Safina - Kuznetsova - Jankovic - Peer - Henin - Szavay

Marsny Likhovtseva - Krajicek - Dementieva - Mirza - Safina - Azarenka - S Williams - Peer - V. Williams - Kuznetsova - Chakvedatze

RKTCT2B Bartoli - Radwanska - Safarova - Hingis - Safina - Chakvedatze - Jankovic - Szavay - S. Williams

SBTang A. Bondarenko - Srebotnik - Safarova - Mirza - Safina - Chakvedatze - Jankovic - Peer - S. Williams

SliceNTice Bammer - Kirilenko - Dementieva - Mirza - Safina - Kuznetsova - Jankovic - Radwanska

TennisMaster8 Daniilidou - Hingis - Bartoli - Schnyder - Safina - Kuznetsova - Jankovic - Svavay - V. Williams - Peer

ToneEG78 Bartoli - Krajicek - Safarova - Mirza - Safina - Chakvedatze - Jankovic - Radwanska

Charlie02123
09-02-2007, 10:36 AM
\the most difficult of the yar's SP's.

I love it when typos turn out funny.

Yar! Suicide poolers, we be. Yar!

In other news, I forgot that I had already chosen Peer. Drat! My master plan included picking her over Radwanska. Oh well, draft two coming soon (assuming Jankovic allows me to get that far).

ponchi101
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I love it when typos turn out funny.

Yar! Suicide poolers, we be. Yar!

In other news, I forgot that I had already chosen Peer. Drat! My master plan included picking her over Radwanska. Oh well, draft two coming soon (assuming Jankovic allows me to get that far).
Better check your picks again, Charlie. The thread here states you have picked Safina twice. Better correct that before this becomes the "official" thread and you get disqualified for a technicality.

morct
09-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Better check your picks again, Charlie. The thread here states you have picked Safina twice. Better correct that before this becomes the "official" thread and you get disqualified for a technicality.

I think ponchi is right Charlie. :cry:

I'm really sorry..........

Charlie02123
09-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Ouch! It's true. Well there goes all of my hopes and dreams. Sigh...

Oh well! Still in the mens. Good luck to the eight of you who pay attention.

Anyway, in lieu of my disqualification, I'm changing my Jankovic pick today to Safina for the third time. If she can beat Henin, I will insist upon being placed back in the competition for sheer dumb luck.

Charlie02123
09-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I kind of feel like Canas.

"I didn't know! Someone gave me a bottle of Safina that was labeled something else!"

ponchi101
09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Wait! I feel like a snitch! I meant to check Charlie's picks and correct the double Safina picks, not to disqualify him.

ptmcmahon
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
So we have one Serena picker ok (Marsny) and 7 Jankovic pickers waiting? As mentioned, the winner could be crowned today.

Then for a week we'd have a Marsny only thread to see if they can beat the draw!

Charlie02123
09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Wait! I feel like a snitch! I meant to check Charlie's picks and correct the double Safina picks, not to disqualify him.

Meh. It's better to find out now than after I beat the draw with 7 Safina picks.

ColinUWS
09-02-2007, 11:53 AM
So we have one Serena picker ok (Marsny) and 7 Jankovic pickers waiting? As mentioned, the winner could be crowned today.

Then for a week we'd have a Marsny only thread to see if they can beat the draw!

Although I don't want to jinx her, a Bammer win wouldn't be at all surprising. JJ has looked really tired. And Bammer put the Hammer down on Dementieva (despite a losing record against her)!

Charlie02123
09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Although I don't want to jinx her, a Bammer win wouldn't be at all surprising. JJ has looked really tired. And Bammer put the Hammer down on Dementieva (despite a losing record against her)!

I thought that too, but Jankovic owned Bammer in two USO series tournaments this year. I think she lost only three games in each match.

morct
09-03-2007, 11:23 AM
And then there were six.

Well done you guys! Nice to be through so early in the day.

oohsalmon
09-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I think there's a day of picks missing in the top post.

shtexas
09-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I think there's a day of picks missing in the top post.

Moose and beaujarkko are on vacation and update when they can.

Great job by Morct in their absence!

oohsalmon
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Moose and beaujarkko are on vacation and update when they can.

I think yesterday got skipped, when everyone picked Jelena.

jjnow
09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, we all picked Jelena. Marsny picked Serena.

jj

shtexas
09-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Oh! I see. I guess Moose had too much sun on his vacation.

shtexas
09-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I updated to include the missing day. Did I get that right?

jjnow
09-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I updated to include the missing day. Did I get that right?
I think so. The last time I had checked it was all Jankovic except Marsny.

jj

morct
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh! I see. I guess Moose had too much sun on his vacation.

Oops, I updated the old thread, but Moose posted the new thread and I didn't notice that the latest picks weren't on that one.

Moose
09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
and then there were 4. Serena's loss to Justine tonight eliminates RKTCT2B and SBtang, leaving us with 4 players. Only JJ is safely thorugh Day 9, as he went with Henin. Our other 3 players - CDavid, Marsny and TennisMaster8 will be relying on two matches tomorrow, with their choice of Venus, and their choce from the bottom half of the draw.

Jack
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Good Lord, there are people still alive in this contest?

jjnow
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Jack, your signature/avatar combo may go down as my all-time favorite.

I'm still laughing.

jj

Jack
09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Jack, your signature/avatar combo may go down as my all-time favorite.

I'm still laughing.

jj

Mindy Cohn has that effect on all of us.:)

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 04:04 AM
and then there were 4. Serena's loss to Justine tonight eliminates RKTCT2B and SBtang, leaving us with 4 players. Only JJ is safely thorugh Day 9, as he went with Henin. Our other 3 players - CDavid, Marsny and TennisMaster8 will be relying on two matches tomorrow, with their choice of Venus, and their choce from the bottom half of the draw.

And JJNow is reliant on Venus as well - needs a Venus win to beat the draw. Although a Venus win gives JJNow the SP championship...wonder what they'd prefer?

Tennismaster can't beat the draw haven taken Kuznetsova and Svazay already. CDavid will have to pick Svazay at some point to have a shot at beating the draw. So JJNow and Marsny are in the best position.

Interesting that of all the players left, the only who hasn't been picked (before today at least) is Chak. Who would've thought she would be last picked?

Moose
09-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Good Lord, there are people still alive in this contest?

my God. What an avatar! somewhere, Tootie must be smiling.

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 08:07 AM
If Venus wins, we'll have 2 people left:

Cdavid would have Henin and Svazay left
JJnow would have Venus and the Chak/Peer winner left
Marsny would have Henin and Chak left
Tennismaster would only have Henin left

Still possible we may have someone beat the draw...but only 1 will. Tiebreaker may not be needed.

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Tennismaster is out with Peer's loss...down to 3, with 1, 2, or 3 still to fall today.

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
JJnow is out as well with Svazay's loss. Down to 2.

Both CDavid and Marsny need Venus to win to survive today. CDavid only has Henin left, while Marsny is the only one who can beat the draw now, with Chak and Henin left.

Moose
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
JJnow is out as well with Svazay's loss. Down to 2.

Both CDavid and Marsny need Venus to win to survive today. CDavid only has Henin left, while Marsny is the only one who can beat the draw now, with Chak and Henin left.

If Venus loses, then JJ will have won the game, as he would have been the only one to have a correct pick on Day 9 (the top half of the draw).

If Venus wins, then its between CDavid and Marsny for the title.

An excellent finish to our final SP of the Year!

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Completely forgot about that! So JJNow could win despite having a player lose "earlier in real life" - that would be quite the feat eh?

Will Marsny play it safe and take Henin now, for the more likely victory in the SP, or save her for the final? Should be interesting either way.

Moose
09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Completely forgot about that! So JJNow could win despite having a player lose "earlier in real life" - that would be quite the feat eh?

Will Marsny play it safe and take Henin now, for the more likely victory in the SP, or save her for the final? Should be interesting either way.

Exactly PT. Since Day 9 was a top half day, and JJ safely survived, a Venus loss would leave him the only one to have survived Day 9. But trust me, there is no way that JJ is rooting for himself to take the title - not with it being Venus.

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
What's more important though...the SP, or venus winning? Ooohh...the decisions!

dryrunguy
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
What's more important though...the SP, or venus winning? Ooohh...the decisions!

How dare you ask such a question?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :cheesy: Venus winning, of course!

I feel badly about JJ getting knocked out... Was really pulling for him. But it's kind of nice that only two people have survived to this point--if Venus gets through tonight. But they're going to regret it bigtime when shen wins the tourney. :shocked: :cheesy:

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm not a Williams fan (not AGAINST them either I should stress before I get lynched) so I know what I'd choose.

Plus, how often do you have a chance to win the SP? Venus will have chances for other slams, but to beat 150+ ... doesn't come along much.

jjnow
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Exactly PT. Since Day 9 was a top half day, and JJ safely survived, a Venus loss would leave him the only one to have survived Day 9. But trust me, there is no way that JJ is rooting for himself to take the title - not with it being Venus.
No doubt about it, Moose. I'm begging Venus to knock me out of SP right now.

jj

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
JJnow is happily out of the SP!

tennismaster8
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
CCDavid v. Marsny!!!! Only two left!!!!

Marsny's the only one who could actually beat the bracket as CC's taken 3 of the 4 semifinalists, but still could go either way. Good luck and great job picking!

ptmcmahon
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
What will Marsny do? I guess we'll have to wait another day to find out! A Henin pick would basically give two shots to win SP...but probably less of a chance to beat draw...unless really high on Chak....

ptmcmahon
09-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Doing my scenario game again (assuming Marsny doesn't switch):

1) Henin/Chak win - Both survive, but Marsny has Henin for final and can beat draw with a Henin win, and will win SP

2) Henin/Kuz win - Only CDavid survives and wins SP - no one beats draw

3) Venus/Chak win - Only Marsny survives and wins SP - no one beats draw

4) Venus/Kuz win - No one survives today and there is a tiebreaker in women's final

Moose
09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
good looking out on the scenarios, pt! That's exactly how our remaining two players stand going in to today's matches.

ptmcmahon
09-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Good start for Marsny...if Chak holds the lead Marsny wins the SP (and still can beat draw)

ptmcmahon
09-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Marsny is out...can CCDavid win it all today?

ptmcmahon
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Let me be first to say... congrats CCDavid on winning the SP! If not for the mess on the bottom, you might've beaten the draw.

GVGirl
09-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Congrats CCDAvid!

marsny
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, taking myself to the lounge for a nice cocktail. It was good run. Congrats CDavid99. Until next time...

Marsny

Moose
09-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, taking myself to the lounge for a nice cocktail. It was good run. Congrats CDavid99. Until next time...

Marsny

Big time congrats, Marsny! You played outstanding, and went for beating the draw today.

doubledogbrewer
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Marsny

Very impressed by your guts in trying to beat the draw, Marsny. Like an American football coach eschewing the PAT and the tie to try for two and the win. Congrats to both you and CDavid99.

cdavid99
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! I still can't believe I won. Honestly, if I still had both Chakvetadze and Henin to choose from today, I would have picked Chak just like Marsny did. Thanks to all the organizers of this pool too!! I know this must take up a lot of time, but we all appreciate it!!

dryrunguy
09-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! I still can't believe I won. Honestly, if I still had both Chakvetadze and Henin to choose from today, I would have picked Chak just like Marsny did. Thanks to all the organizers of this pool too!! I know this must take up a lot of time, but we all appreciate it!!

A lot of people will appreciate your appreciation, cdavid. :cheesy:

Dry

cdavid99
09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh - and congrats to Marsny too for being such a gutsy finalist. I thought I was a goner after Chak opened so strongly.