PDA

View Full Version : Selig: No Suspension/Fine for Giambi Steroid Use

Moose
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM
TORONTO -- Jason Giambi escaped punishment from commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday because of the Yankee slugger's charitable work and cooperation with baseball's steroids investigator.

Jason Giambi's public-service work made a favorable impression upon Bud Selig, who chose not to punish the Yankee slugger.

Selig, speaking on the second and final day of an owners meeting, called this an "appropriate decision."

Giambi has acknowledged a "personal history regarding steroids." He agreed to speak with former Sen. George Mitchell last month after Selig threatened to discipline him if he refused to cooperate.

"He's doing a lot of public-service work, and I think that's terribly important," Selig said. "I think it's more important for us to keep getting the message out. He was, I thought, very frank and candid with Sen. Mitchell, at least that was the senator's conclusion. Given everything, this is an appropriate decision."

Selig said June 21, before Giambi met Mitchell, that he would take "Giambi's level of cooperation into account in determining appropriate further action."

"I am pleased with commissioner Selig's decision to forego any punishment for Jason," said Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem.

Selig said Mitchell was not expected to speak with any other active players.

"This was a special circumstance," Selig said. "I have no other plans."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2977294

mmmm8
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Sorry, how does his community service play into this non-related issue?

I'd like to have heard Senator Mitchell's thoughts

Moose
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
my take...Selig's a freaking coward, who should rot for not taking action against an admitted steroid abuser. How can you say you have an interest in cleaning up the sport on one hand, then turn around and say "oh, his charitable work lets him off the hook".

If Pete Rose brings danish to a Gambler's Anonymous meeting or two, does that mean he should be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

This has me totally disgusted. Either you discipline him, or you say "from today we go forward, agressively test ALL players, and amend the collective bargaining agreement for immediate termination for usage". You don't say "Bad Jason...but because you did some good things, in your case we'll make an exception"

Kirkus
08-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right, but if you do enough right you'll be allowed to do a wrong.

Selig's a wuss.

Foxykhat
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
my take...Selig's a freaking coward, who should rot for not taking action against an admitted steroid abuser. How can you say you have an interest in cleaning up the sport on one hand, then turn around and say "oh, his charitable work lets him off the hook".

If Pete Rose brings danish to a Gambler's Anonymous meeting or two, does that mean he should be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

This has me totally disgusted. Either you discipline him, or you say "from today we go forward, agressively test ALL players, and amend the collective bargaining agreement for immediate termination for usage". You don't say "Bad Jason...but because you did some good things, in your case we'll make an exception"

Say it again Sam!!!!

Two wrongs don't make a right, but if you do enough right you'll be allowed to do a wrong.

Selig's a wuss.

Totally!

Foxy