PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions About The Suicide Pool

Kirkus
08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
If you have any questions about the US Open Suicide Pool, post it in this thread and we'll answer it as soon as we can.

GVGirl
08-21-2007, 08:07 AM
bump

leosash
08-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi Kirkus,
Just joined TAT to actually play in the suicide pool. Would a special thread be provided from monday onwards for participants to send their picks to?

Kirkus
08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Kirkus,
Just joined TAT to actually play in the suicide pool. Would a special thread be provided from monday onwards for participants to send their picks to?

Yes, leosash. Each day, special threads (something like Day One Men's Picks, Day One Women's Picks, etc.) will be posted along with that day's matches. You'll make your picks in those threads.

BTW, Welcome!! :)

leosash
08-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks!:)

shtexas
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
The threads for each day will have the matches from which to choose, and it is very important everyone follow the posted schedule of play for each day. We have had quite a few through the years choose from matches that are not scheduled on a particular day. They are disqualified. For the men's suicide pool at the US Open, this is critical the first three days as there are 3 days of first round matches. That means day one may have some matches from one half of the men's draw, but not all. Day 2 will be a mixture from both halves of the draw. Day 3 will be those first round matches left. So, everyone must pay close attention.

Best of luck!

Martini4me
08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Are there matches scheduled for Sunday? I assume they'll be added to Monday's schedule for pool purposes?

mmmm8
08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Are there matches scheduled for Sunday? I assume they'll be added to Monday's schedule for pool purposes?

If you're referring to this Sunday, there are no main draw matches. If you're referring to the middle Sunday, Sept. 2, then Men's 3rd Round and Women's 4th Round matches are scheduled. This will be a separate day in the SP.

See the event schedule Moose posted:
http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7345

ptmcmahon
08-25-2007, 07:38 AM
I have an important question.

Should I pick Venus in round 2 again (you saw how well that worked at Wimbledon) or should I save her in case?

:)

susiQ
08-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I played the Wimbledon pool this summer. Do I have to register to play the US Open pool or do I just go to the Day 1 thread and make my picks? Thanks in advance for your help!

suliso
08-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I played the Wimbledon pool this summer. Do I have to register to play the US Open pool or do I just go to the Day 1 thread and make my picks? Thanks in advance for your help!

Just make a pick :)

Moose
08-26-2007, 08:32 AM

just go and make your picks SusiQ. Once you've signed up on TAT, you're free to post anywhere on the board, including the SPs. There's no additional registration needed.

Jack
08-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a question:

Could someone tell me who the winners of Monday's matches will be? Actually, if you have the full 1R, 2R and 3R results, I'll take those as well.

Thanks in advance!

mmmm8
08-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I have a question:

Could someone tell me who the winners of Monday's matches will be? Actually, if you have the full 1R, 2R and 3R results, I'll take those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, I'll PM them to you :)

My money, of course, is on Alexa Glatch, but you may want to save her for later

Tscott415
08-26-2007, 01:32 PM
SImple question for future use, can i change my pick before the deadline?

shtexas
08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
SImple question for future use, can i change my pick before the deadline?

Yes. If you do though, make a second post and mention you have changed your pick

Auburn84
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey:

New here, too, and I think I understand, but I don't want to blow it on the first day. To join the suicide pool, you simply reply to the thread with your pick? Or do you have to send it somewhere else, too? Great site, by the way.

Auburn84

shtexas
08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey:

New here, too, and I think I understand, but I don't want to blow it on the first day. To join the suicide pool, you simply reply to the thread with your pick? Or do you have to send it somewhere else, too? Great site, by the way.

Auburn84

Simply reply in the day 1 threads (one for the men and one for the women).

Kirkus
08-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey:

Auburn84

Side note: Feel free to jump right into our other discussions too (this goes for all of our new members). Make yourselves at home. :)

munchin
08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm too lazy to scour the site, so I'll just ask it here, instead. Is there a list or database of all the suicide pool winners in the past and what day they got to (or if they beat the draw)? I'm very curious to know all the winners.

oohsalmon
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm too lazy to scour the site, so I'll just ask it here, instead. Is there a list or database of all the suicide pool winners in the past and what day they got to (or if they beat the draw)? I'm very curious to know all the winners.

There's a Wall of Fame

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/awards.php

munchin
08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
There's a Wall of Fame

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/awards.php

Thanks, that's a good starting-off spot. I can do my own research from here...boy I need a life.

IntnstyAngle
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, I have a question... why can't Sugiyama win against someone I've never heard of? XD.

Just kidding... I do have a serious question, though. I'm sure it's already listed somewhere but I can't seem to find it... what is the progression of points as you get through a suicide pool? Especially with this 3-first round thing for the US Open...

mrjiggyfly2
08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes, I have a question... why can't Sugiyama win against someone I've never heard of? XD.

Just kidding... I do have a serious question, though. I'm sure it's already listed somewhere but I can't seem to find it... what is the progression of points as you get through a suicide pool? Especially with this 3-first round thing for the US Open...

I'm not sure myself IA. But I pm'd beaujarkko and dry asking one of them to respond to this.

beaujarkko
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I posted the progression of points in the Wimbledon thread when this subject came up at the end of that SP, so you can look back and find that and use it as a kind of rubric. Obviously with the extra picks things will change (albeit only slightly) but to be completely honest, no thought has gone into it yet on my end, and I doubt Dry has even begun to think about it either. It is best to wait until the end of the tournament and look at the tournament as a whole before deciding due to things like increased numbers of picks and inclement weather. It is not forgotten how the rain screwed with EVERYTHING at Wimby this year, and how the SP rankings were not exempt. At the end of the tournament, Dry and I will correspond and post the rankings as soon as we have time. Now that I have a real job (shameless personal pride plug, yes!) that requires actual thought and involvement outside of work, I will have much less time to devote to it, but rest assured as soon as we hammer out the specifics, we will let everyone know. That means... don't expect the updated rankings within the first week after the USO is over, so then you won't be disappointed when they're not there. Then, if they DO get posted in a rapid manner, it will be a joyous surprise. Hallelujah.

pkorne
08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
With respect to the US Open Pool, what's the ruling on the Richard
Gasquet-Donald Young second round match where Gasquet pulls out because of injury? I think it's totally unfair to be eliminated
because he pulls out on Thursday morning. Had he withdrawn
yesterday, we would have been able to select another match.

Can you please give me some feedback?

I actually agreed with one person who offered a solution: if a player pulls out on the day of his match, then the member's previous pick (which player is obviously still alive) would be used as a replacement for the injured player in his next round match.

I don't want to equate the SP to horseracing or other forms of gambling, but the injury status of a participant is crucial to transparency. If a horse does not start a race, any bets placed on him or her are refunded. Even the jolly good NFL, while they claim not to promote gambling, will publish the injury report prior to the start of a game, the accuracy of said report being sacrosanct.

Two a propos examples:

1) Reports surfaced following Raphael Nadal's opening match that he had undergone an MRI prior to his first round win, and had the MRI indicated pathology, he would not have played the match against Jones. Now, what if this information had leaked out to some but not the general TAT members;

2) What if Richard Gasquet had let it be known (to anyone!) that he was not well yesterday - again this may have leaked out to some TAT SP'ers and not others. Once again, unfair advantage.

My argument is that with the internet and the release of information, I think that TAT needs to refine the injury rules with respect the SP pool. With the Davydenko affair still fresh in everybody's mind, this might be an ideal time.

I had a good run this week until Gasquet messed it up...

chocomm
08-30-2007, 11:29 AM
pkorne, you make some good points in your argument and as
a participant in the SP who did not choose Gasquet for today, my words
may seem of little value to you.

But it is absolutely outrageous to think that any of the other participants
in the SP has prior knowledge of Gasquet's sudden pull-out. It even says
on the US Open website that Gasquet withdrew "unexpectedly this morning."
This means that not a whole lot of people even inside the US Open, let alone TAT SP'ers, knew about Gasquet's illness.

And please don't bring in the Davydenko incident right now. It makes no sense at all. I'm sorry that you were eliminated this way, but my personal
opinion is that this pick was a very popular pick and this adds to more
controversy.

oohsalmon
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I feel y'all's pain. The last two Australian Opens, I've lost in the Suicide pool on Day 1 because somebody retired in the first set with a TOE injury. Twice.

As much as that bothered me, there's no way the rules could be changed. Having good luck is a big part of doing well in the pool. :(

oploskoffie
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I suppose it's not called a Suicide Pool for nothing y'all ;) Seriously, having people call in sick is part of the risk of this game. Gasquet could have pulled out at 15-0 and everyone would have called him a weenie for doing so and moved on, but now there this discussion? I, along with 35 other people also hoping for something different when they made their pick, am out of the men's SP. It be what it be. :)

shtexas
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Pkorne: We actually held 6 suicide pools in 2005 (the 4 majors, Indian Wells and Miami) where the rules were worked out so that they were simple and, most of all, fair. This exact situation came up.

We decided it would be unfair that a contestant, such as in oohsalmon's example, whose player made it to the court, but retired early, was out. Meanwhile, a contestant whose player withdrew altogether got a second bite at the contest. Sometimes, the simplest rule is the best, and the most fair to everyone.

But, it sure sucks today.

pkorne
08-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks, shtexas for your reply. I understand the simple solution.

dryrunguy
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM

It'll be the same progression of points that was used for the 2006 U.S. Open... 1 point just for playing, 2 points for getting Day 1 right, 4 points for getting Day 2 right, and 7 points for getting Day 3 right. From then, I think it's the same until the quarters because the quarters are played on different days in each half (I believe it's 70 and 90 instead of just 90, like what was used at Wimby).

Hope that helps.

Dry

Philly10
08-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I have a questions regarding picks over the Labor Day weekend. I'll most likely be away from any computer. Is there any way to email or post future picks? I would naturally assume any risk of schedules changing or players losing before I pick them.

And with that post I'm sure I will have jinxed my pick for today, but I had to ask.

shtexas
08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Philly: You can email picks to Tatpicks@yahoo.com. And yes, you do assume the risk of players losing before you pick them.

In other words, no back-up picks in case a player you want Monday loses on Saturday.

ptmcmahon
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Here's some hypothetical questions almost more for fun :) (watch it come up next week now)

Obviously anyone who picked Young yesterday would've advanced since withdraw happened after the deadline.

What happens if the withdrawal was right before the deadline? I'm assuming you couldn't punish Young pickers - but what would you do for others - would you bar anyone else from picking Young?

toneeg78
09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
i asked this in another thread, but this might be a better thread to have asked.

if i make it into the semis, but can't make a pick since i've already picked everyone at least once that have made it into the semis, do i get credit as though i made it to the semis?

Moose
09-05-2007, 08:07 AM
i asked this in another thread, but this might be a better thread to have asked.

if i make it into the semis, but can't make a pick since i've already picked everyone at least once that have made it into the semis, do i get credit as though i made it to the semis?

You get credit for having survived Day ___, the last day of quarters that you got through, Tone.

shtexas
09-05-2007, 08:08 AM

I answered in the other thread.