PDA

View Full Version : BBC News Feed - its future on TAT

Kirkus
08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
On more than one occasion the BBC News Feed has posted a headline on the Recent Posts Bar that spoiled a match for many members who were watching it on tape-delay.

However, many times it has posted a headline on the Recent Posts Bar that no one knew about at the time.

Here's the question... do we keep it, get rid of it, or curtail its appearance on the RPB?

The staff is discussing its future and this poll and thread might help us to make a decision. However, keep in mind that this poll isn't a vote on its future. We just want to know what the membership thinks.

oohsalmon
08-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I voted for booting it all together, after some deliberation. Keeping it means that I'll have to stay off TAT when watching stuff on TV. Which is fine, I suppose. I have liked the feed in the past for more off-court stories, (especially, as mmmm8 pointed out, on Andy Murray's wrist). But today with the Djokovic spoiling was really awful.

ponchi101
08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Get rid of it. Those that want to know the score of a match in real time always have the LIVE SCORES services in all tournaments, or can watch on TV (if there is a LIVE feed).

Jay
08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't think that it necessarily has to go, but it was awful that it spoiled the Novak result for some people.

So with much deliberation, I voted for the middle one,. the one that says, " Keep it but don't post headlines on the Recent Posts Bar". If it's possible that we can make it to where it doesn't show in the recent posts bar, then I'm all for it. It's easier to avoid the headlines when you don't see them in the recent posts bar. All one has to do is ignore the BBC feed forum. Although, not sure how one might be able to ignore the BBC forum if the newest thread title usually is on top of the others, and you can see that when you click on "forum:.

nelslus
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't you know that, with so many of with so many different opinions, we ain't exactly coming up with a consensus on this topic. Good luck trying to figure out what "the voice of the people is", TAT staff. :dizzy:

oohsalmon
08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think that it necessarily has to go, but it was awful that it spoiled the Novak result for some people.

So with much deliberation, I voted for the middle one,. the one that says, " Keep it but don't post headlines on the Recent Posts Bar". If it's possible that we can make it to where it doesn't show in the recent posts bar, then I'm all for it. It's easier to avoid the headlines when you don't see them in the recent posts bar. All one has to do is ignore the BBC feed forum. Although, not sure how one might be able to ignore the BBC forum if the newest thread title usually is on top of the others, and you can see that when you click on "forum:.

You've changed my mind, Jessie. I'm with you on this one.

But I, for one, am not going to think to look for it if it's not in "recent posts".

mysterX
08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
I voted to get rid of it. I don't think it adds much (if any) value

GVGirl
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I say keep it, but don't put it in the recent posts bar. It's fun to read the slanted British Tennis News, it sometimes reads like "Faux News."

Kirkus
08-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I've temporarily disabled posts from the Tennis Headlines board (BBC news feed) from appearing on the Recent Posts Bar. I've also rearranged the boards under the "TENNIS BOARDS" category and placed the Tennis Headlines board at the very bottom of that category.

We'll keep it this way through the US Open Series, then the BBC News feed will be disabled during the US Open. After that we'll make a final decision on what to do with it.

dryrunguy
08-14-2007, 06:33 AM
For a tennis board that isn't populated by obsessive/compulsive tennis fans, the service would be great. Except for Serena's entry into New Haven, I'm trying to remember the last time the BBC service genuinely surprised us... 99 times out of 100, it's telling us something we already know, thanks to Amie, M8, et al... all of whom do a great job of keeping us informed.

Dry

shtexas
08-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I've temporarily disabled posts from the Tennis Headlines board (BBC news feed) from appearing on the Recent Posts Bar. I've also rearranged the boards under the "TENNIS BOARDS" category and placed the Tennis Headlines board at the very bottom of that category.

We'll keep it this way through the US Open Series, then the BBC News feed will be disabled during the US Open. After that we'll make a final decision on what to do with it.

That's smart. What I found funny was getting BBC reports of Murray matches in progress. They couldn't even wait for the match to end. Lol!

--cj--
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
i honestly didn't see any value in having them here unless people could comment on the article. i have my iGoogle home page set up with a tennis tab that grabs just about any tennis related headline from the web, including the BBC feed. so i usually see the story there first.