PDA

View Full Version : Sport teams- fans adopting them when transplanted

craighickman
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
What does that even mean? I think this thread is dead.

How about those Red Sox?

munchin
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
How about those Red Sox?

I'm more of a Mariners guy, to be honest. Usually, I'm a Red Sox fan because they're in direct contention with the Evil Yankee Empire but since the Yankees are a non-issue this season, I can support my milquetoast Seattle team without distraction

craighickman
07-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm more of a Mariners guy, to be honest. Usually, I'm a Red Sox fan because they're in direct contention with the Evil Yankee Empire but since the Yankees are a non-issue this season, I can support my milquetoast Seattle team without distraction

LOL. I can't really say I'm a Sox fan, but having lived in Boston, when they won, even, it was nice to see the true Boston fans go nuts.

It was like being in San Francisco in 1990 (?) when the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

munchin
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
LOL. I can't really say I'm a Sox fan, but having lived in Boston, when they won, even, it was nice to see the true Boston fans go nuts.

It was like being in San Francisco in 1990 (?) when the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

That sounds pretty wild, but I have no idea what it would be like as Seattle teams are fatally allergic to winning and have been for several decades. I think my most traumatic childhood memory was the Seattle Sonics having the best record in the league by far in 1994 and losing to the lowly Denver Nuggets in the first round of the playoffs. I think if a Seattle team ever wins anything considered to be important (no offense to the WNBA), our city will go up in flames.

JTContinental
07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
That sounds pretty wild, but I have no idea what it would be like as Seattle teams are fatally allergic to winning and have been for several decades. I think my most traumatic childhood memory was the Seattle Sonics having the best record in the league by far in 1994 and losing to the lowly Denver Nuggets in the first round of the playoffs. I think if a Seattle team ever wins anything considered to be important (no offense to the WNBA), our city will go up in flames.

Even though I'm a transplant who hasn't been here all that long (since 1994), I feel your pain, munchin. The 1994 NBA playoffs were my first memory of organized sports here in Seattle. Combined with the 2001 Mariners 116-win and the 2005 Superbowl and subsequent season, we longsuffering Seattle sport fans are due. :cheesy:

Oh well...we always have the Storm.

munchin
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Even though I'm a transplant who hasn't been here all that long (since 1994), I feel your pain, munchin. The 1994 NBA playoffs were my first memory of organized sports here in Seattle. Combined with the 2001 Mariners 116-win and the 2005 Superbowl and subsequent season, we longsuffering Seattle sport fans are due. :cheesy:

Oh well...we always have the Storm.

I guess that's some consolation. And by "always," I'm sure you mean until the WNBA folds like the ABL before it. Don't get me started on the Mariners. I refused to get too excited about this season, though the Mariners are obvious wildcard contenders and even AL West contenders. I just don't think they can handle winning, knowing full well that "SEATTLE" is emboldened on their chest.

Jack
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
How about those Red Sox?

As a born and bred Red Sox fan...
I'm still afraid of the Yankees making a run and the sox pulling their annual August swoon...

K Sedia
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm still afraid of the Yankees making a run and the sox pulling their annual August swoon...

Boston person here.....and yes, the Yankees always come back in the 2nd half of the season - and the Red Sox almost always take a dive. It's one of life's constants. :undecided: I saw them win it all in my lifetime. I'm fine with that.