PDA

View Full Version : A Nelslus Demand.

nelslus
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
So, I see that a new poster had suggested having Doubles Suicide Pools. This should certainly be implemented, but, let's face it, this is simply not enough. Those TAT poo-bahs have been allowed to sit on their lazy heinies day after day for FAR too long.....

Ya see, Wimbledon many years ago had this competition called the Wimbledon Plate, which involved another competition for players who had lost in the first and second rounds.

And, what's good enough for Wimbledon....BRING IT ON, TAT.

Why, there should be Suicide Pools for juniors....and junior doubles.....and wheelchair competitions.....and legends competitions.....and to pick who will be the audience member to giggle first when after a serve the damned ball gets stuck in the net for the kazillionth time.....

Rise up (oh, darn it, where IS my Norma Rae outfit), Ye Any-Minute-Now-Loser's-Lounge-Members (and let's face it, that means you) and demand Your Right to Maximize Your Chances To Win One Of These Freakin' Contests. :woohoo:

beaujarkko
05-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe... MAYBE Junior doubles. But the rest is going too far. :-D

Also, LOVE your Norma Rae outfit. Can I borrow it?

UNION.

dryrunguy
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM
As a contest junkie, I can't get enough.

The challenge, however, is resources. Shtexas and Moose are already overworked in the pools, and this one promises to be the biggest ever. It takes hours to track and update the threads, etc. Lots and lots of work.

But I think TAT staff are more than willing to allow members to administer contests if they're willing to volunteer and are committed to it. In fact, they eagerly entertain ideas for new contests and activities as long as they're appropriately staffed.

I'd offer, but between the fantasy tournaments and the weekly predictions contest, I'm deluged as it is. But I'm always willing to help when I can.

Dry

Jack
05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Ya see, Wimbledon many years ago had this competition called the Wimbledon Plate, which involved another competition for players who had lost in the first and second rounds.

I guess I'm officially old when I remember the Wimbledon Plate.

I guess I'm officially as-old-as-dirt when I actually remember Shriver won it over Stephanie Rehe one year in the mid 80s.

Moose
05-25-2007, 03:56 PM
So, I see that a new poster had suggested having Doubles Suicide Pools. This should certainly be implemented, but, let's face it, this is simply not enough. Those TAT poo-bahs have been allowed to sit on their lazy heinies day after day for FAR too long.....

And, what's good enough for Wimbledon....BRING IT ON, TAT.

Why, there should be Suicide Pools for juniors....and junior doubles.....and wheelchair competitions.....and legends competitions.....and to pick who will be the audience member to giggle first when after a serve the damned ball gets stuck in the net for the kazillionth time.....

Rise up (oh, darn it, where IS my Norma Rae outfit), Ye Any-Minute-Now-Loser's-Lounge-Members (and let's face it, that means you) and demand Your Right to Maximize Your Chances To Win One Of These Freakin' Contests. :woohoo:

Nelsus (and everyone else):

Shtexas, Kirkus and I have discussed doubles, and let me explain our logic behind why to date we haven't done it.

We like to think the Suicide Pool game is something really special. It kind of, sort of, put TAT on the map around the world. When we got Jon Werthieim's endorsement, we were jazzed beyond belief. And now Bodo has chimed in, and driven more traffic our way. We are blessed, and real excited to welcome tennis fans from everywhere to our house. And we always seem to get some great new members posting at TAT following a Slam that visited for the first time due to our SP game (I think that's how you got here).

At the same time, we think what makes something special is that it only happens periodically, and in limited amounts. And the memory of dumping out on Day 1 is so painful, yet enjoyable (trust me I've done it enough) that it almost drives you to come back and play again).

And when you are one of only a couple of players still standing mid-week 2, its a tremendous accomplishment - and posters (I think) enjoy watching others go down and seeing the field narrow to a few players (especially if they are one of the ones lucky enough to still be alve).

We don't want to go overboard with it, because we think we have something real special here. I'm a little afraid of diluting the product by expanding it. Someone once offered to run weekly Suicide Pools for us...we declined, again because we want this to remain something special.

I'm always open to others opinion, but I wanted to let you know what our logic has been for keeping the game as only Singles for only Slams (with a little practice thrown in at Miami and IW).

Kirkus
05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
First of all, Mr. Nelslus, your post literally made me lean back in my chair, swivel back and fourth, and laugh out loud. LOL. Maybe it's because it's Friday afternoon before a 3-day weekend for me, I don't know. But that was just funny as all giddy-up.

Second, many dittos to Moose's post.

suliso
05-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Nelsus (and everyone else):

Shtexas, Kirkus and I have discussed doubles, and let me explain our logic behind why to date we haven't done it.

We like to think the Suicide Pool game is something really special. It kind of, sort of, put TAT on the map around the world. When we got Jon Werthieim's endorsement, we wer jazzed beyond belief. And now Bodo has chimed in, and driven more traffic our way. We are blessed, and real excited to welcome tennis fans from everywhere. And we always seem to get some great new members posting at TAT following a Slam that they visited for the first time (I think that's how you got here).

At the same time, we think what makes something special is that it only happens periodically. And the memory of dumping out on Day 1 is so painful, yet enjoyable (trust me I've done it enough) that it almost drives you to come back and play again.

And when you are one of only a couple of players still standing mid-week 2, its a tremendous accomplishment - and posters (I think) enjoy watching others go down and seeing the field narrow to a few players (especially if they are one of the ones lucky enough to still be alve).

We don't want to go overboard with it, because we think we have something real special here. I'm a little afraid of diluting the product. Someone once offered to run weekly Suicide Pools for us...we declined, again because we want this to remain something special.

I'm always open to others opinion, but I wanted to let you know what our logic has been for keeping the game as only Singles for only Slams (with a little practice thrown in at Miami and IW).

1. I don't think Nelslus meant it so seriously

2. You are completely right. I think we have just the right ammount of contests at the moment. It's not supposed to be easy to win one!

Moose
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
1. I don't think Nelslus meant it so seriously

2. You are completely right. I think we have just the right ammount of contests at the moment. It's not supposed to be easy to win one!

oh gawd, now I'm embarassed. I never can tell when people are joking with me. Except when Tommy Larkin told me that it was more fun lighting farts if you kept extra propane nearby.

Kirkus
05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
oh gawd, now I'm embarassed. I never can tell when people are joking with me. Except when Tommy Larkin told me that it was more fun lighting farts if you kept extra propane nearby.

Better safe than sorry, Moosie. Other's have asked the same question.

Now, I have to get out of this thread for awhile. The "extra propane" had me swivelling again. LOL.

Jay
05-25-2007, 05:53 PM
As a contest junkie, I can't get enough.

The challenge, however, is resources. Shtexas and Moose are already overworked in the pools, and this one promises to be the biggest ever. It takes hours to track and update the threads, etc. Lots and lots of work.

But I think TAT staff are more than willing to allow members to administer contests if they're willing to volunteer and are committed to it. In fact, they eagerly entertain ideas for new contests and activities as long as they're appropriately staffed.

I'd offer, but between the fantasy tournaments and the weekly predictions contest, I'm deluged as it is. But I'm always willing to help when I can.

Dry

As i've said before, and i'll say again, I don't mind helping with running a contest.
I have too much free time as it is ;)

but..yeah..I think Nelslus was joking....

nelslus
05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh for cryin' out loud, hate to break the suspense, but when nelslus uses terms such as "lazy heinies," "Norma Rae outfit," and, "to pick who will be the audience member to giggle first when after a serve the damned ball gets stuck in the net for the kazillionth time (SURE would make a great TAT contest)" in the same post.....well, what must nelslus do, there wasn't a little haw-haw droolin' clowny smilie for nelslus to put on here to make it clear that i wuz just jokin'. :gorgeous: (this may be the first time in history that nelslus' humor might have been too subtle for some.) :angel:

Kirkus
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, I caught it. LOL.

Scotty
05-25-2007, 06:38 PM
This is all a ruse--a RUSE, I tell you--by those with multiple medals under their signatures. They just want to horde all the medals to themselves--THEMSELVES, I tell you.

But we must RISE up, and demand our right to a new pool where Fyrstenburg-Matkowski and Hanley-Ullyet's serves and volleys can be rewarded with these all-important icon's of medals below my ... um .. the winner's ... names.

Oh, and "lazy heinies", "Norma Rae outfit", and "serve stuck in net giggle". :D

S

shtexas
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh for cryin' out loud, hate to break the suspense, but when nelslus uses terms such as "lazy heinies," "Norma Rae outfit," and, "to pick who will be the audience member to giggle first when after a serve the damned ball gets stuck in the net for the kazillionth time (SURE would make a great TAT contest)" in the same post.....well, what must nelslus do, there wasn't a little haw-haw droolin' clowny smilie for nelslus to put on here to make it clear that i wuz just jokin'. :gorgeous: (this may be the first time in history that nelslus' humor might have been too subtle for some.) :angel:

I knew you were kidding. I get that it's hard to see humor in writing. I've had sarcasm taken seriously before. I realized I had to go over the top a bit to get it across. But, I've read enough of your posts, which makes it easier.