PDA

View Full Version : >>> Important Note: French Open Sunday Start

Moose
05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Want to make sure EVERYBODY is aware of this rule, since the French Open is different than the other Slams.

The French plays a limited number of matches beginnnig Sunday, May 27. Last year, it was 6 mens and 6 ladies first round matches.

For purposes of our Suicide Pool: YOU WILL PICK ONE MATCH ON EITHER SUNDAY OR MONDAY AS YOUR FIRST PICK.

When Sunday's order of play is announced, we will open a Day 1 pick thread which will show the Sunday matches. If you care to, you may choose one of these matches as your Day 1 pick, and then you can skip Monday. OR you may PASS on the Sunday matches, and make your first selection when Monday's order of play is announced and our Monday Picks thread is opened.

Kirkus
05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
And just to muddy up the waters a little further, don't forget that Sunday at the French Open is Saturday in the States. Time difference dontcha know. :undecided:

shtexas
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Essentially, what the organizers are doing is pulling a few matches that would have been on Monday and featuring them on Sunday. Extra day of revenue, etc.

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Essentially, what the organizers are doing is pulling a few matches that would have been on Monday and featuring them on Sunday. Extra day of revenue, etc.

Since when did Dick Cheney take over Roland Garros?

Dry

Kirkus
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Since when did Dick Cheney take over Roland Garros?

Dry

What? You didn't get the memo?

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
What? You didn't get the memo?

No, I don't remember the memo about the Roland Garros schedule... But I vividly remember the memo outlining our invasion of France to assimilate them to Eastern Standard Time. Too bad they didn't clear that with the UN first.

Dry

Kirkus
05-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorry, Moose. We're hijacking your thread.

Shame on you Dry for sucking me into it. :D

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
And just to muddy up the waters a little further, don't forget that Sunday at the French Open is Saturday in the States. Time difference dontcha know. :undecided:

Actually, it's only a 6 hour difference for us East Coasters. ;)
So if matches start at 11am in France, it's a 5am start for us East Coasters.

West Coast has it rough though...

Jay
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Actually, it's only a 6 hour difference for us East Coasters. ;)
So if matches start at 11am in France, it's a 5am start for us East Coasters.

West Coast has it rough though...

:(:cry:

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
I thought it was a 5 hour difference for EST and Paris... I always get up at 7 a.m. to watch Roland Garros matches. Or maybe I'm slipping into "Shirley MacLaine" mode and that wasn't really me...

Dry

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I thought it was a 5 hour difference for EST and Paris... I always get up at 7 a.m. to watch Roland Garros matches. Or maybe I'm slipping into "Shirley MacLaine" mode and that wasn't really me...

Dry

I'm pretty sure it's 6 hours from EST for Roland Garros, and 5 hours from EST for Wimbledon.
Either way, I remember getting up at 5am on the first Monday and Friday of Roland Garros 2005 to watch Lindsay struggle against Srebotnik and Razzano, respectively.
Nothing like a heartattack before work.

Scotty
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 6 hours from EST for Roland Garros, and 5 hours from EST for Wimbledon.
Either way, I remember getting up at 5am on the first Monday and Friday of Roland Garros 2005 to watch Lindsay struggle against Srebotnik and Razzano, respectively.
Nothing like a heartattack before work.

Other than the UK and Portugal, Western Europe is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time, and 9 hours ahead of Pacific Time. They take daylight savings, too, but they often change over on a different week from the states (I learned that bit the hard way, regarding a conference call scheduled with Germany).
UK and Portugal are 5 and 8 hours ahead, respectively.

Madame
05-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi all.
I'm new here from TW and I do have a question: What happens when it rains ?
Why don't we pick on half draws instead of days of play, because you never know how many matches there will be on one given day ???

(well there is rain announced for Sunday AND Monday)

and since I'm in Paris now, I can tell you I am posting axactly at midnight here
(well 11:55 pm)

cheers.

GVGirl
05-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Welcome to TAT Madame!

If a scheduled match gets pushed to the next day due to rain, your pick is still valid whether the match is completed that day or the next day.

BTW, are you the hostess for the TW Paris party?

The same goes for Monday matches.

Madame
05-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello GvGirl

No, i'm afraid I'm not the host. I'd like to meet some fellow TWeeker when I go to Roland on Wednesday though, but I'll only be there on that day, and from what I understood, they are getting there for the second week. ...

GVGirl
05-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello GvGirl

No, i'm afraid I'm not the host. I'd like to meet some fellow TWeeker when I go to Roland on Wednesday though, but I'll only be there on that day, and from what I understood, they are getting there for the second week. ...

Madame,

As far as the rain is concerned, the TAT Senior Staff will keep everyone informed about the picks. I hope that this helps.

Enjoy RG! Happy to have you with us for the SP.

Madame
05-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome. :)
SP seams really a lot of fun. I've got the draw printed in front of me and am making crazy computations and odds to decide who to pick for the first round.

I might not be able to post every day. well that's life ... I'll play as long as I can and I probably will loose vere early on anyway !