PDA

View Full Version : The FOSP Losers Lounge Is Open For Business

Pages : [1] 2

Moose
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Welcome to our favorite spot of all for the French Open...the now world famous Loser's Lounge. This is where you'll find everyone drowning their miseries following all those Eurodirt upsets that seem commonplace during the French. Everyone's welcome to pool up a stool, share a story, have a cocktail, and exchange snarky comments about player fashions, ridiculous scorelines, unknown teenagers who chase favorites home and the like.

Loser Lounge Lingo - if you lose in one of the two games (mens or ladies) you are what we call here at TAT a "half cheeker". Once you've lost in both games you are fully cheeked. And if histroy is any indicator, we'll have some full cheekers here beginning Day 1. This game is a LOT harder than it looks.

We're waiting to see if Pierre-Yves Hardene (his nickname at TAT is HFPY) shows up again, passing out his resume (and bumming quarters) at the entrance. And our good friends Mirka, Snezana (Snow White) Jankovic, Yuri S., Uncle Tony and others will be sure to drop by during the next two weeks as well.

Over in the corner we have our "Jukebox From Hell". Feel free to play a favorite horrible song when you stop by. If we're lucky, our founding father Kirkus will put on his white suit and show us his finest Tony Mannero moves. Or you just might catch Oploskoffie and mmmm8 doing The Macarena.

Our head bartender Jessie will fix you up with some of the best cocktails this side of Willi's Wine Bar.

We look forward to everyone enjoying themselves these next two weeks.

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Wait, I thought HFPY was supposed to be dancing on the bar--not handing out his resume. Does he have a resume? What does it say? "Hi, I'm the former Mr. Henin?"

No matter... Fortunately, I'm out of $1 bills. At least until Angelina gets here. ;)

Dry

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
The chair next to the morphine drip is MINE. ;)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
The chair next to the morphine drip is MINE. ;)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Is that you, Maria Alvez?

Dry

Jay
05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
oooo throwing out drunks and stuff when the night is over is gonna be fun!!

:D

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Is that you, Maria Alvez?

Dry

Is that "the umpire" from the Jennifer/Serena match?
My brain is already mush, it's only a matter of RG starting before I'm here.

Oh and don't drink and do line calls. ;)

oploskoffie
05-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh and don't drink and do line calls. ;)

Brings us to the question what you will do.

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Brings us to the question what you will do.

Sit and look cute and hope that someone changes my morphine bag on a regular basis. :D

Jay
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
hope that someone changes my morphine bag on a regular basis. :D

Don't look at me..;)

I'm gonna be busy serving alcohol. Now, if you would like your morphine drip to be replaced with an alcohol drip, i'm the one to change it ;)

GVGirl
05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Can I pre-order some French wine? I know one of the French Men is going to let me down in the SP.

evil_juju
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Can I pre-order some French wine? I know one of the French Men is going to let me down in the SP.

ok right back at ya...men ALWAYS kill me in the first round!

oh and btw i have i nice bottle of 2004 Chateau Busisson-Redon Bordeux

i'll save it for when we crash and burn! :drunk2:

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Note to self--to do list in preparation for the suicide pool:

--Buy milk and double stuff Oreos
--Get those illegal immigrants I know to make a nifty batch of salsa
--Buy tortilla chips
--Buy ice cream (chocolate)
--Buy beer (the Loser Lounge tab runs out after the first 24 hours; I learned my lesson the hard way)
--Buy Nacho Cheese Combos
--Buy Pop Tarts (for the 7 a.m. matches after you're already out of the mix)
--Buy 4 boxes of Count Chocula (desert after the Pop Tarts)
--Schedule annual physical before matches start, when the cholesterol level will get back over 100

Dry

Danielle
05-21-2007, 04:39 PM

--Buy tortilla chips
--Buy beer (the Loser Lounge tab runs out after the first 24 hours; I learned my lesson the hard way)
--Schedule annual physical before matches start, when the cholesterol level will get back over 100

Dry

I'm sittin' next to you Dry - that's some good eatin'!! :cheesy:

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm sittin' next to you Dry - that's some good eatin'!! :cheesy:

Say what? You confusin' me with someone who shares!

Just kidding!

Dry

hurricanejeanne
05-21-2007, 05:47 PM

--Buy tortilla chips

Dry

Pop Tarts, combos, nachos, oreos? That's some hardcore tennis watching food. Reminds me that I need snacks :D

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Pop Tarts, combos, nachos, oreos? That's some hardcore tennis watching food. Reminds me that I need snacks :D

I left off the gummy bears... :mad: I need them to play "army" during the bagelish sets.

Dry

aedra1119
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I can already tell this is going to be one interesting SP!

I hopefully will not be needing the services of the Loser's Lounge. ;) However, I might pop my head in if HFPY is dancing! :D

Darcy
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM

--Buy tortilla chips

Dry

What kind of Pop Tarts?

I hope we'll have mimosa ingredients here...

mmmm8
05-21-2007, 06:19 PM
What kind of Pop Tarts?

Fancy shmancy. Get your Bud Light and go take a seat before they're taken and you have to sit on the floor with the passed out smelly people.

JK. Full bar is stocked

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
What kind of Pop Tarts?

Chocolate (with the sprinkles), blueberry, and strawberry.

Really, any kind of Pop Tart will do... As long as there's frosting.

BTW, Jessie makes a mean mimosa... You're guaranteed to walk to the left when you walk down the street for a full week after.

Dry

Kirkus
05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Nothing wrong with a good mimosa now and again.

Moose
05-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Do they make Pop Tarts with vodka flavoring?

mmmm8
05-21-2007, 06:42 PM

If by "they" you mean "mmmm8," then, of course.

Moose
05-21-2007, 06:50 PM
If by "they" you mean "mmmm8," then, of course.

Great :)

and vodka comes in flavors, so I'll have a vanilla

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 06:51 PM

They tried, but market testing showed that Pop Farts would be pretty hard to move. Even with double coupons.

Dry

mmmm8
05-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Great :)

and vodka comes in flavors, so I'll have a vanilla

Sissy boy

Darcy
05-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Mmm...strawberry Pop Tarts. Frosted, of course.

OK, then! And we have a few for mimosas. Perfect. I love them because I can drink a few and just get sort of giggly. :)

Of course, this year I don't expect to be hanging out here again...oh, who am I kidding? :undecided:

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 07:26 PM

OK, then! And we have a few for mimosas. Perfect. I love them because I can drink a few and just get sort of giggly. :)

Of course, this year I don't expect to be hanging out here again...oh, who am I kidding? :undecided:

I'm not sure why I bother with these things. It's always the same story. I get through 3-6 days or so, and then I make some absolutely braindead decision because I got to the thread late and saw that everyone else had picked who I had planned to pick. Then I get scared. Then I get cute.

And then, when it's all said and done, I don't feel so cute any more because I'm plant food and sitting here with angelina trying to think of new countries to adopt children from...

It's a sick game.

Dry

Moose
05-21-2007, 07:28 PM

I'll keep a stool ready for you Darcy. I keep finding new and creative ways to dump out in the first round of this game, so I'm sure there's frest players ready to claim my scalp this time around.

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll keep a stool ready for you Darcy. I keep finding new and creative ways to dump out in the first round of this game, so I'm sure there's frest players ready to claim my scalp this time around.

I hear Hrbaty is available...

Dry

Darcy
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
LOL, you two. Thanks, Moose.

GVGirl
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
A visitor to the Lounge:

Federer brings a giant Orange to be squeezed for screwdrivers.

dryrunguy
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
A visitor to the Lounge:

Federer brings a giant Orange to be squeezed for screwdrivers.

I could jump all over that one, but I don't want to be the first to send a Loser's Lounge thread to the Dumpster...

Dry

Darcy
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I could jump all over that one, but I don't want to be the first to send a Loser's Lounge thread to the Dumpster...

Dry

Yeah...it's a bit early. :D

GVGirl, are those the famous Wonder Pets? All hail the Wonder Pets!

GVGirl
05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah...it's a bit early. :D

GVGirl, are those the famous Wonder Pets? All hail the Wonder Pets!

Yes, my avatar will remain the "Wonder Pets" through the end of the French OPen!

GVGirl
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Dry

Keep it clean Dry! LOL I just love that picture of Fed from the end of his junior days- he's so funny looking with blonde hair!

Scotty
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM

They tried, but market testing showed that Pop Farts would be pretty hard to move. Even with double coupons.

Dry

Shame they didn't try PopTartsova ...

S

nelslus
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Shame they didn't try PopTartsova ...

S

FUNNY, I thought PopTartsova was Scotty's stripper name......(mine of course are Wonder Pets on weekdays, Mimi Mosa on weekends.)

Moose
05-22-2007, 05:38 AM
It's morning, and I'm hungry. Got work to do here in the Lounge, looks like we might need to expand.

Can I get a Pop Tart Citron?

PeterSkan
05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
RandomSkan trundles in, raids the fridge for some mix and match, flips through the channels, plays some darts [sending the staff scurrying all the while], turns the lights on and off ... and off and on, and heads for the VLT's.

PeterSkan
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
PeterSkan strolls into the Lounge, blows a kiss to Doll, upbraids RSkan, plugs in his laptop [older model], cracks his knuckles, and proclaims ...

"It's Contest Time"!

angelina
05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Doubt anybody missed me in the past few months... but I've re-surfaced to say a quick hello and toss back a few martinis.

I've been busy as some y'all know. W/ yet another addition to the family, Brad and I have been quite overwhelmed. My love for tennis has not subsided, however...

Anyway... my stolen internet is unreliable as ever so I doubt I can stick around regularly like I did during the AO... but good luck to all the contestants!!!

mmmm8
05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Doubt anybody missed me in the past few months... but I've re-surfaced to say a quick hello and toss back a few martinis.

I've been busy as some y'all know. W/ yet another addition to the family, Brad and I have been quite overwhelmed. My love for tennis has not subsided, however...

Anyway... my stolen internet is unreliable as ever so I doubt I can stick around regularly like I did during the AO... but good luck to all the contestants!!!

Well, look who's alive and kicking. I thought maybe with the reported family troubles you and Brad are having you were auditioning to be Mark Phillipoussis' love interest, but seems you're out of the age group.

Of course, then, those photos with James Haven and the kids surfaced, so that explains a lot.

(COME ON! Invest in some real internet. Or get better neighbors!)

GVGirl
05-23-2007, 07:02 PM

Angelina,

Thanks so much for stopping by and wishing everyone good luck. Please come back and visit soon! Bring Brad with you too.

dryrunguy
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM

So great to see you, angelina! I hope the little ones are doing well. No, I wasn't talking about Brad's, um, well, let's just leave that thought unfinished.

I remember our night in the limo fondly. ;)

Dry

Jay
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Angelina!!
long time no chat!
It's been a while!

How are you and the kids?

you and your unreliable internet LOL.
Stealing is bad, Angelina. And, what happened to your avatar? It's no more.

well, Dry remembers your Limo "time" but we both know you enjoyed OUR time in the wine cellar with all the wine ;)

Moose
05-24-2007, 05:44 AM

gosh, woman....get yourself back here. You are truly missed, and a little more regularity on her part would be a thing of beauty.

we'll keep a bottle of Grey Goose in the freezer for you

rktct2b
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I am just taking a quick look around for now. In Melbourne this year, I was in to the Lounge with both draws on the first day - J Johannsson (sp?) caused me to lose in the men's draw in about 6 minutes into the tournament. Hopefully I won't be back here for a while!

Will smoking be banned here - or do I have to wait until July 1st as I do here in London for this to be the case??? Just wondering.

Good luck everyone!

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I am just taking a quick look around for now. In Melbourne this year, I was in to the Lounge with both draws on the first day - J Johannsson (sp?) caused me to lose in the men's draw in about 6 minutes into the tournament. Hopefully I won't be back here for a while!

Will smoking be banned here - or do I have to wait until July 1st as I do here in London for this to be the case??? Just wondering.

Good luck everyone!

Smoking section's back by the restrooms (local ordinance). Just look for me puffing away.

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Gee, it's kind of quiet in here. Time for some delightful musical torture entertainment. Let's see... "Something in the air that night... Fernando" by Abba left over from Australia. How useless.... Ah, YES!

In honor of Tatiana Golovin's withdrawal, you will have to listen to "Barbie Girl" until start of play.

Luckily, we had a video version shipped in especially from Turkey for you
GN8I2SyEiHw

Moose
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Gawd, its looks like we need to expand this place even more. This place is gonna be packed come next week.

Would someone fix me a Jack Daniels Pop Tart while I add a few more tables

Moose saunters back to work, quietly singing to himself "Im a Barbie girl...in a Barbie world...and sighing over the fact that Tati isn't coming out to play this French

jsd123789456
05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
wow i'm going to miss week 1 of roland garros because of summer training stuff i'm doing, so no suicide pool for me :(...

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
wow i'm going to miss week 1 of roland garros because of summer training stuff i'm doing, so no suicide pool for me :(...

Look at it this way: you get the best seat here.

jsd123789456
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
at least i wont lose any points since i missed the french last year also, im gonna need some points at wimbledon, and probably i'll need to defend my usopen title as well, i dont wanna fall off the map

bea26
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I love that the FO hasn't even started yet and there's 53 posts in this thread already. Don't jinx yourselves people!

Jay
05-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Gawd, its looks like we need to expand this place even more. This place is gonna be packed come next week.

Would someone fix me a Jack Daniels Pop Tart while I add a few more tables

Moose saunters back to work, quietly singing to himself "Im a Barbie girl...in a Barbie world...and sighing over the fact that Tati isn't coming out to play this French

One Jack Daniels Pop Tart coming up, mr Barbie girl.

I love that the FO hasn't even started yet and there's 53 posts in this thread already. Don't jinx yourselves people!

I think we're way beyond that now.

angelina
05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone for welcoming me back!!!

I am seriously thinking of investing in some internet... or asking my neighbors to stop making their connection password protected!!! Haha... no, seriously, I'm looking at different packages right now so hopefully I'll be here more regularly.

Anyway, back to tennis! Who are we all rootin' for? I'm still a fan of Amelie's no matter how many times she breaks my heart, but I'm not too optimistic about her chances...

I should just start drinking today... she probably won't make it past the first round...

mmmm8
05-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I know you like "free," angie, and i understand you prefer to give your money to charities and developing countries, but I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find where Brad hides his money from you, and use it for the internet connection!

Lone-star
05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Ok, started a huge pot of chili and made the salsa. Not a jinx, Bea, just want a good seat :thumbsup:

And most of all, THANKS, MOOSE!!

Moose
05-25-2007, 09:06 PM
it's one day, and 5 hours til the kick off of Roland Garros. That means its 1 day, 5 hours and one match from the first players entry into the Loser's Lounge.

Let's have a cocktail. This rounds on me.

Midori Melonball Pop Tarts for everyone

Danielle
05-25-2007, 10:01 PM
In honor of Tatiana Golovin's withdrawal, you will have to listen to "Barbie Girl" until start of play.

Luckily, we had a video version shipped in especially from Turkey for you
GN8I2SyEiHw

:hyst: I hope they do those closet karaoke videos again...that was friggin' awesome. What might they get Justine to lip sync?

Moose
05-25-2007, 10:04 PM
:hyst: I hope they do those closet karaoke videos again...that was friggin' awesome. What might they get Justine to lip sync?

this just calls out for a Pierre Yves joke, Danielle, but I'm saving my good material for next week.

Danielle
05-25-2007, 10:44 PM
this just calls out for a Pierre Yves joke, Danielle, but I'm saving my good material for next week.

It's gonna get wild 'n crazy in here...can't wait!!

Jay
05-25-2007, 11:00 PM

Pierre Yves singing "Barbie Girl" would be hilarious!!
:hyst:

morct
05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Jessie!

I'll have a beer to celebrate my one year TAT anniversary today. :D

Jay
05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey Jessie!

aah! congrats on the TATversary!! :D
*hands Morct a cold beer*
the best for a TATversary ;)
You don't want some wine instead?

you're not going to start a thread about it?
I would..

morct
05-26-2007, 09:09 AM
aah! congrats on the TATversary!! :D
*hands Morct a cold beer*
the best for a TATversary ;)
You don't want some wine instead?

you're not going to start a thread about it?
I would..

See, I'm not a TAT thread whore like you Jessie!

Ta for the beer!

Now let's sort out the juke box.................

Cyndi Lauper??

Moose
05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey Jessie!

HAPPY TAT ANNIVERSARY, morct! It's been a pleasure toalking tennis (and all other good stuff) with you this past year.

Moose
05-26-2007, 10:54 AM
the renoations are done, the extra seats are added, and all we're waiting for is the first dismal performance by someone tomorrow. Wonder what bandwagon gets here first.

Anyway, its a warm sunny Saturday afternoon ihere in Philly. I'm going to have a mojito, and offer to everyone possibly THE WORST remake of a bad song to begin with in the history of music!

For your listening entertainment, I present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2aqYkIbXM

Jack
05-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Ye gods. That's horrid.

To get the taste of that out of your mouth, I offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJAsgIIfNM

oploskoffie
05-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Oh-my-gawd... I had no idea that even existed. Can someone - anyone - please get this Simpson out of showbiz? :cry:

jsd123789456
05-26-2007, 12:58 PM
every losers lounge is a bar as we all know, and every bar needs some good blues music, so i present to you... Jake and Elwood Blues, The Blues Brothers!!!

Ea9mV9EhPvE

dryrunguy
05-26-2007, 02:46 PM
the renoations are done, the extra seats are added, and all we're waiting for is the first dismal performance by someone tomorrow. Wonder what bandwagon gets here first.

Anyway, its a warm sunny Saturday afternoon ihere in Philly. I'm going to have a mojito, and offer to everyone possibly THE WORST remake of a bad song to begin with in the history of music!

Well, seeing as Paszek is first up on her court, and I picked her... Isn't it obvious?

If she doesn't, I'm sure Potito will do his part to put me here.

I was hoping they'd start with the opposite halves of the draws. :mad: I have a plan there... I was kind of forced into these.

But of course, it would be just like those Roland Garros officials to put my planned Day 2 picks on court Monday. At which point, I'm officially toast.

Dry

dryrunguy
05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
My bad... Both (of) the Paszeks and Potito are first up on each of their respective courts. Well, at least it'll be quick and relatively painless.

Dry

oploskoffie
05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I think I can say this now...

INCOMING!!!

No idea how many people exactly, but there were some Bremond pickers who just got Krajiceked.

Foxykhat
05-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Damn Bremond to the HOTTEST part of HELL for landing me in here on the first day.

Pour whatever you want Jessie, I doubt I need liquor anyway, her performance was enough.

WTH was I thinking!

Foxy

Foxykhat
05-28-2007, 06:49 AM
I think I can say this now...

INCOMING!!!

No idea how many people exactly, but there were some Bremond pickers who just got Krajiceked.

:neener::neener::neener::neener:

Foxy

ponchi101
05-28-2007, 06:56 AM
to those idiots like ME that picked Bremond on the first day, we forgot the first rule of chauvinistic tennis analysis:
french player playing at the french open = choke/gag/flame out
How did we forget that the last two French Open French winners actually were born in Cameroon (Noah) and the US (Pierce)?
Will get drunk on (California) champagne

Martini4me
05-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Bremond strikes again!! After taking out about 50 players at Wimbledon last year (via three consecutive upset victories), she takes no advantage of her hard-earned seeding.

craighickman
05-28-2007, 07:02 AM
to those idiots like ME that picked Bremond on the first day, we forgot the first rule of chauvinistic tennis analysis:
french player playing at the french open = choke/gag/flame out
How did we forget that the last two French Open French winners actually were born in Cameroon (Noah) and the US (Pierce)?
Will get drunk on (California) champagne

Mary was born in Montreal.

ponchi101
05-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Mary was born in Montreal.

See? I couldn't even get THAT one right! Still....

suliso
05-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Bremond strikes again!! After taking out about 50 players at Wimbledon last year (via three consecutive upset victories), she takes no advantage of her hard-earned seeding.

Yes, but to be honest I don't quite understand why so many people took such a big risk on a 50/50 match. Misa is not a bad player and only a couple of places below in the rankings...

Jay
05-28-2007, 07:10 AM
LMAO@ the Bremond pickers. Poor people.

Here, I'll get you guys some Liquor to drown your sorrows.

Foxykhat
05-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Yes, but to be honest I don't quite understand why so many people took such a big risk on a 50/50 match. Misa is not a bad player and only a couple of places below in the rankings...

I have no idea why I picked her myself I guess I though Misa might not show up or Bremond might IDK.

Well she's now on my list so...

Foxy

craighickman
05-28-2007, 07:17 AM
See? I couldn't even get THAT one right! Still....

LOL. Enjoy your vino. I'm drinking just because there's no live tennis on.

nelslus
05-28-2007, 07:21 AM
And now, those of us who made the "safe" Na Li choice get to sweat it out, whether we will soon before-our-time belong in here.....

morct
05-28-2007, 08:29 AM
And now, those of us who made the "safe" Na Li choice get to sweat it out, whether we will soon before-our-time belong in here.....

Don't sweat too much nelsus, she won the first set on a breaker and is up 3-0 in the 2nd. :)

Foxykhat
05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Don't sweat too much nelsus, she won the first set on a breaker and is up 3-0 in the 2nd. :)

Wasn't Kloesel up 5/2 or 5/3 before the rain break? If so nice comeback for Na Li, especially the second set.

Foxy

aedra1119
05-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Well, I have Monaco and Dulko, which I found out are scheduled last for today. Which means they most likely won't be playing until tomorrow. Yikes. :p

Sorry Bremond pickers. :(

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
It's just one of my suicide pool rules... Never pick for or against the Chinese women. But if I had to pick one of them, it would be Na Li.

The rest are completely off limits for me.

Dry

craighickman
05-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I changed from Stosur, who cruised, to Dulko, for I expect Stosur to be around longer. I may regret that change.

orpheo
05-28-2007, 09:15 AM
HA to all the bremond loosers (actually they interrupted the sanchez game and have therefore given me time to laugh at the loosers before i join them here soon:( )

I know she is french (which should have made this a no brainer not to pick her) but perry is American so i figured jinxes would cancel each other....

i guess ill just fix a good cuba libre till they start the third....

suliso
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
It's just one of my suicide pool rules... Never pick for or against the Chinese women. But if I had to pick one of them, it would be Na Li.

Dry

You have a lot of rules already dry ;)

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 09:24 AM
You have a lot of rules already dry ;)

You have no idea, suliso! LOL! My DNP list far exceeds my list of eligible picks. And then there are certain sections of the draw that I simply won't touch until I absolutely have to. One of these days, I'll recognize that there's a connection between all my rules and the fact that I haven't won one of these things since 2005.

Dry

mysterX
05-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Dry

I have this same rule, but I forgot about it and picked Na Li. Lucky me I survived.

Moose
05-28-2007, 09:56 AM
I'll tll you how sanity just flie out the window in this game.

When I looked at the matches for today, I came thisclose to picking Yakimova who 1) buried me earlier this year and 2) made me start a "never pick players with Mongolian mammals as part of their name" rule.

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I have this same rule, but I forgot about it and picked Na Li. Lucky me I survived.

Not really so lucky, mysterx. It was a smart choice! She's by far the most consistent of the crop, and she's got a great attitude. She won't quit on you. She was getting killed in the first, but she fought through it and escaped in straights. I've given thought to modifying my rule to take Li off the list. But I'm still not quite ready. :)

Dry

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I'll tll you how sanity just flie out the window in this game.

When I looked at the matches for today, I came thisclose to picking Yakimova who 1) buried me earlier this year and 2) made me start a "never pick players with Mongolian mammals as part of their name" rule.

Ah yes, the yak snacks... I remember it well...

Dry

nelslus
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
With the women's suicide pool, the two "name" players that I thought would be most likely to lead folks to the Loser's Lounge were Bremond- who's just been in a distracted, "Oh, holy sh*t, I'm just about ta have ta defend my Wimbledon QF result points" funk as of late, and Schiavone- who can always be ripe for a weird upset on any given day, OR who can also give the top players fit, depending on her mood that day. Right with 1 out of 2 so far.....albeit Na Li sure made me sweat it for awhile.

However, please also, note that in my Tennis Channel draw, I made the brilliant choice of Nakamura over Chesty La-Rue. Everyone else here apparently knew that Nakamura never wins on clay.....funny how we of The Tennis Nerd Kingdom have great tennis knowledge with some player records, but can be lacking with other players.

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 10:24 AM
With the women's suicide pool, the two "name" players that I thought would be most likely to lead folks to the Loser's Lounge were Bremond- who's just been in a distracted, "Oh, holy sh*t, I'm just about ta have ta defend my Wimbledon QF result points" funk as of late, and Schiavone- who can always be ripe for a weird upset on any given day, OR who can also give the top players fit, depending on her mood that day. Right with 1 out of 2 so far.....albeit Na Li sure made me sweat it for awhile.

However, please also, note that in my Tennis Channel draw, I made the brilliant choice of Nakamura over Chesty La-Rue. Everyone else here apparently knew that Nakamura never wins on clay.....funny how we of The Tennis Nerd Kingdom have great tennis knowledge with some player records, but can be lacking with other players.

Well, I didn't know that about Nakamura until I started researching for this pool... I thought Paszek was the obvious choice for Day 1(a) given that Nakamura had never won a match at Roland Garros and has barely won any WTA-level on clay.

Which, of course, is the type of perfectly sensible pick that can screw you out of nowhere for no good reason.

Agree about Bremend and Schiavone. They're both on my DNP list. It was Schiavone who screwed me by losing at Indian Wells in 2005 to the now infamous, gulp, Rika Fujiwara.

Dry

Jack
05-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Here's reason # 28 why never to pick Schiavone.

Wimbledon 1R 2006, Melanie South d. Francesca Schiavone.

- This is the only main draw WTA match South has ever won.
- South has beaten 3 players ranked in the top 200 in her entire career: #199, #198, and Schiavone (I wish I were kidding).
- South's highest career rank is #166.
- South's singles record this year is 3-11, the high point of her season came two weeks ago with a win over the immortal Chiaki Okadaue, ranked #355.

Don't even talk to me about Francesca Bleepin' Schiavone. :mad:

(yes, I still hold a grudge)

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Here's reason # 28 why never to pick Schiavone.

Wimbledon 1R 2006, Melanie South d. Francesca Schiavone.

- This is the only main draw WTA match South has ever won.
- South has beaten 3 players ranked in the top 200 in her entire career: #199, #198, and Schiavone (I wish I were kidding).
- South's highest career rank is #166.
- South's singles record this year is 3-11, the high point of her season came two weeks ago with a win over the immortal Chiaki Okadaue, ranked #355.

Don't even talk to me about Francesca Bleepin' Schiavone. :mad:

(yes, I still hold a grudge)

I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the reminder that Franny should be near the top of everyone's DNP list. What a mess.

Dry

beaujarkko
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I know, this has nothing to do with Rika Fujiwara or Chiaki Okadaue, but I just had to say...

Jack, your signature made me fall off my chair.

catz33
05-28-2007, 11:20 AM
A grand gold margarita please.

I got carded yesterday. lol.

oploskoffie
05-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the reminder that Franny should be near the top of everyone's DNP list. What a mess.

Dry

Guess who I picked to help me to day 2? :D

GVGirl
05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Moose,
Here is the long awaited yak appearance in the Loser's Lounge:

ponchi101
05-28-2007, 12:48 PM
c'mon people, it was a a tough first round. Justine and Serena are for later, Venus is good for an extra round, Schiavone.... well, you guys said it all. Stosur-Jackson was two hard court players on clay, Loit-Sharapova was Jon Wertheim's (SI.COM) pick for the early upset but I don't like to bet against the cover girl (she has guts, we must admit). Bremond (my pick) was risky, but not for a 3 & 3 washing. Dulko? Can flame out any time (remember she dates Gonzo, so she has nowhere to go for tactical advice). In retrospect, Razzano was perhaps the best bet, but she is still french and Sequera recently won a clay tournament. And that one is not over yet.
First SP and wow! it is tough out here.

Moose
05-28-2007, 12:52 PM
c'mon people, it was a a tough first round. Justine and Serena are for later, Venus is good for an extra round, Schiavone.... well, you guys said it all. Stosur-Jackson was two hard court players on clay, Loit-Sharapova was Jon Wertheim's (SI.COM) pick for the early upset but I don't like to bet against the cover girl (she has guts, we must admit). Bremond (my pick) was risky, but not for a 3 & 3 washing. Dulko? Can flame out any time (remember she dates Gonzo, so she has nowhere to go for tactical advice). In retrospect, Razzano was perhaps the best bet, but she is still french and Sequera recently won a clay tournament. And that one is not over yet.
First SP and wow! it is tough out here.

Ponchi:
It looks a lot easier than it is.

We have over 200 players from around the world. By the end of the tournament, we'll be down to less than 5, if history is any indication.

Good luck in the mens game. I hope you didn't pick Vliegen.

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 01:42 PM

First Slingo Para-Dice... And now this? :tease:

Dry

Jay
05-28-2007, 02:26 PM
A grand gold margarita please.

I got carded yesterday. lol.

lol ok catz.

one Grand gold margarita coming up to go with what your reading :D

oploskoffie
05-28-2007, 02:37 PM
First Slingo Para-Dice... And now this? :tease:

Dry

I guarantee you this month is not over as far as the arcade is concerned. I have plans...

:kiss:

Jack
05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
To keep you entertained throughout the rain delays, I'll order up some Rick James karaoke. I'd also like to dedicate this to my grandpa, who showed me these moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fhsHzsNdc

(http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/%3Cobject%20width=)

catz33
05-28-2007, 06:22 PM
lol ok catz.

one Grand gold margarita coming up to go with what your reading :D

Thanks Jessie, I just finished it and cried through the last chapter. "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Piccoult.

mmmm8
05-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Me too.

Meet you (and a few dozen others) here after Franny's match.

I'm surprised how many people, including TAT regulars, don't heed the Vliegen warning.

Kirkus
05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Holy Moly!! 8 pages after only 2 days of play (and rained out play at that)?

We may need to rename the Loser's Lounge to something more appropriate like, The "I Don't Give A Crap If I'm Not A Loser Yet. Give Me A Frickin' Beer" Lounge.

RedClaw
05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
You know, I'd ask this any time of year, but since this is the French open I'll pretend that's my excuse -

Can I have a nice glass of red instead? (In fact, on that note, I'm going to go POUR myself one.)

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Holy Moly!! 8 pages after only 2 days of play (and rained out play at that)?

We may need to rename the Loser's Lounge to something more appropriate like, The "I Don't Give A Crap If I'm Not A Loser Yet. Give Me A Frickin' Beer" Lounge.

Drunk.

Dry

morct
05-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks Jessie, I just finished it and cried through the last chapter. "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Piccoult.

That one made me cry too Catz.

Have you read the new Hosseini book yet? I know you loved the Kite Runner but I think the new one is even better.

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 04:04 AM
INCOMING

Welcome Groenefeld pickers!!! Nice and early

Now, didn't I warn you not to pick against local wildcards?

Have a drink! It's on Mathilde Johansson!

atlpam
05-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Vania King out in Round 1 - What was I thinking picking an American?

Moose
05-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Vania King out in Round 1 - What was I thinking picking an American?

atlpam:

Have you seen pictures of Akgul? She's about a foot and a half taller than Vania. Vania probably had to duck when Akgul served, just to get out of the way of those missles.

Good luck in the mens game!

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:05 AM
I hope the hostess is clearing a table for the Castano crowd. :(

catz33
05-29-2007, 06:13 AM
That one made me cry too Catz.

Have you read the new Hosseini book yet? I know you loved the Kite Runner but I think the new one is even better.

I haven't Morct. I have read "The Unbearable lightness of Being" thanks to the recommendations here. Which is quite the book.

I have also just finished "Our Inner Ape", non-fiction by Frans de Waal. An interesting perspective by a primatologist regarding empathy in bonobos and similarities between chimpanzees, bonobos and human beings in society.

I will have to pick up the Hosseini book and add it to the pile. I am currently reading Mark Kurlansky, " A Chosen Few"

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:19 AM
I haven't Morct. I have read "The Unbearable lightness of Being" thanks to the recommendations here. Which is quite the book.

one of my favorite pieces of fiction Catz! Essential reading, as far as I am concerned.

suliso
05-29-2007, 06:24 AM
I hope the hostess is clearing a table for the Castano crowd. :(

Not so fast Moose! First she has to take care of fairly sizable Benneteau crowd...

ajstew
05-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Wow... this place is pretty dead. The best sofa in the corner over there is still free. Lucky me. Hey... excuse me... waiter! Is anybody even here yet? God... I'm alone in here. Oh no... I'm not... some one else is coming through the door now. Oh God... the last person I was hoping to see... Mr.
Benneteau himself. I can't believe it... the guy doesn't even look upset. And what... what's he doing... smiling? Unbelievable. Well... another tournament, another early exit. Oh well, I'm sure there will be some others in here soon.

Stinger
05-29-2007, 06:28 AM
There are now thanks to Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo. Way to blow a 2 sets to love lead Ruben! :-(

Foxykhat
05-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Tell me again why the Frenchies should NOT be trusted at the French Open!?!

Bremond and now Benneteau DANG two first round blows.

Foxy

thotchkin
05-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Am I the first one in the Benneteau party to arrive? Or worse, am I a party of one? Regardless, I'll grab an open table, pull up a couple of extra chairs (in case more people were felled as I was) and put a dollar in the jukebox so I can play "Goin' Down" by The Monkees repeatedly.

orpheo
05-29-2007, 06:32 AM
INCOMING

Welcome Groenefeld pickers!!! Nice and early

Now, didn't I warn you not to pick against local wildcards?

Have a drink! It's on Mathilde Johansson!

Well I picked a local Wild Card...Olivia Sanchez and guess what???

Garcon!!!! Garcon!!!! ill have anything on the rocks not french:mad: !! and she lost to an american who prolly will join me here for drinks next round!

tennisbrp
05-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Hideous not lasting one day in the pool as my ranking will plummet. Can I que up the nursery ryhme "are you sleeping are you sleeping brother Julien...." ferre julien or something like that.......

Moose
Tell me again why the Frenchies should NOT be trusted at the French Open!?!

Bremond and now Benneteau DANG two first round blows.

Foxy

uh oh! Foxy qualifies for the Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool (our consolation game for anyone who loses both first day matches!)

I might be joining you...Castano is up against the wall. And who know what will happen with Robin "I play my heart out at Tier 3s, but make a clown of myself at Slams" Soderling

catz33
I'm hoping Emma has a Razzano of a time closing it out and Castano will run over and borrow Bammer's serve for a few games!

oploskoffie
05-29-2007, 06:36 AM
And so, with the exit of Benneteau, my miserable run in SP's continues. I'm picking Federer in the FIRST round at Wimby just to make it to day two, I swear...

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm hoping Emma has a Razzano of a time closing it out and Castano will run over and borrow Bammer's serve for a few games!

Castano should have won this match 2 and 2 Catz. She's a dirtballer, playing someone from Finland. Do they even have clay in Finland? I thought they played on ice.

catz33
05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Castano should have won this match 2 and 2 Catz. She's a dirtballer, playing someone from Finland. Do they even have clay in Finland? I thought they played on ice.

lmao

mrjiggyfly2
05-29-2007, 06:42 AM

Moose,

beaujarkko may not like that!

Foxykhat
05-29-2007, 06:45 AM
uh oh! Foxy qualifies for the Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool (our consolation game for anyone who loses both first day matches!)

I might be joining you...Castano is up against the wall. And who know what will happen with Robin "I play my heart out at Tier 3s, but make a clown of myself at Slams" Soderling

LOL I guess anything is better than nothing.

I'm sure Castano will pull it out.

Foxy

catz33
05-29-2007, 06:46 AM
LOL I guess anything is better than nothing.

I'm sure Castano will pull it out.

Foxy

Foxy, your signature is a hoot!

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
:mad: Seriously? Schiavone and Vliegen win and Benneteau falls. Just because I was trying to defend my FOSP06?

I guess it's my own fault for going with the French at the French.

My usual - a bottle of absinthe, please

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Czink party....your table is now ready!

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
and Castano has to serve to stay in the match....What a freakin' mess.

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Well I picked a local Wild Card...Olivia Sanchez and guess what???

Garcon!!!! Garcon!!!! ill have anything on the rocks not french:mad: !! and she lost to an american who prolly will join me here for drinks next round!

It's for or against, really

You're going to hate me, orpheo, but you're also out of the men's pool because you didn't make a day 2 pick. You TW people aren't really big on directions.

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 06:54 AM
And so, with the exit of Benneteau, my miserable run in SP's continues. I'm picking Federer in the FIRST round at Wimby just to make it to day two, I swear...

And I thought we'd be drinking together because of Schiavone. I wasn't even worried about this one.

aedra1119
05-29-2007, 07:08 AM

Awww, poor Koffie. I guess we'll have a new Wimbledon champ this year then? ;)

Just kidding! Sorry! Drink on me. :)

Just for that, I'm probably going to find myself here in the Loser's Lounge today.

catz33
05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I warned people about Delic. I guess no one believed me! lol

igorwright
05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Benneteau broke my dreams!!! Damn it!

I wish I can survive until sunday in the women SP!

Foxykhat
05-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Foxy, your signature is a hoot!

LOL thanks Catz, wish I could take credit but saw it somewhere a couple of years ago and adopted it.

Foxy

suliso
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM
I warned people about Delic. I guess no one believed me! lol

I still don't believe it :)

One set all...

catz33
05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
I still don't believe it :)

One set all...

I'm not certain that he will actually prevail but the guy does have game

e11even
05-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Argh! Benneteau spoiled my Suicide Pool debut in the men's side! :mad:

dryrunguy
05-29-2007, 08:02 AM
So much for the reports on Tursunov... That's what I get for being dumb enough to believe everything I read.

Dry

tennisbrp
05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
So much for the reports on Tursunov... That's what I get for being dumb enough to believe everything I read.

Dry

Maybe he used his wrist assist and was ready for action

dryrunguy
05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Maybe he used his wrist assist and was ready for action

That would be just my luck!

Oh well, I've now got one cheek in the Loser's Lounge!

Dry

Danielle
05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Well the bloodshed has begun...and I've managed to maintain my record of day 1 exits on the men's side thanks to Benneteau. :mad: We'll see if I make it to day 2 on the women's...you know, once upon a time I actually had a ranking for these SPs...ah, those were the days.

A round on me for all those who bet on Benneteau! :beer:

orpheo
05-29-2007, 08:47 AM
It's for or against, really

You're going to hate me, orpheo, but you're also out of the men's pool because you didn't make a day 2 pick. You TW people aren't really big on directions.

Just bring me a double of what i was having.....and i was going to pick hewitt well.....it feels like loosing out of being injured...

oploskoffie
05-29-2007, 08:52 AM
A round on me for all those who bet on Benneteau! :beer:

Cheers, Danielle! :beer: <- orange juice

Moose
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I guess the lesson I should have learned from the Yak dump out in the last SP is not that its players with animals as a portion of thier last name that go on the "Do Not Pick" list, but players with animals as any part of their name.

Thanks, Robin Soderling. I hope your car gets a flat on the way back to your hotel.

GVGirl
05-29-2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.imperial.edu/birds/robin.jpg
Tweet-tweet!

American Robin - (Turdus migratorius)

one_shot07
05-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah... I'm out in the men's sp already... damn Benneteau!

Moose
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
American Robin - (Turdus migratorius)

TURDus...how flippin appropriate! :)

atlpam
05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
atlpam:

Have you seen pictures of Akgul? She's about a foot and a half taller than Vania. Vania probably had to duck when Akgul served, just to get out of the way of those missles.

Good luck in the mens game!

Forget ducking - the serves probably bounced over her head.
and now my day 2 pick Henman is down a set and a break against a Latvian tennis powerhouse :(
Doesn't experience count for anything?

morct
05-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Forget ducking - the serves probably bounced over her head.
and now my day 2 pick Henman is down a set and a break against a Latvian tennis powerhouse :(
Doesn't experience count for anything?

I went for experience too with Bjorkman, and he just lost the first set to Luczak. :p

I'll just have a beer while I'm waiting to see if he can pull it out.

SoraOblivion62
05-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Yep I'm out on Day 1 of my debut on the women's side. I guess I shouldn't have picked an American :p. Dumb King.

craighickman
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Pour me a drink.

I'm out because I made the mistake of typing Tim Henman when I meant to type the name of whoever played him. Dumb me.

Poor me a drink.

Moose
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know what the count is, but it seems like this has been a very bloody first Tuesday in the mens game.

atlpam
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Pour me a drink.

I'm out because I made the mistake of typing Tim Henman when I meant to type the name of whoever played him. Dumb me.

Poor me a drink.

Move over and make room for my second cheek - I had Henman as well and already lost on the Women's side by standing behind an American (Vania King). So much for my first try at the suicide pool:shocked:

jkfriedman
05-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Please set up my table for the Hrbaty party
Some friends will be joining me
I can only hope the dominator didn't further embarass himself with that horrific shirt.

Let me have what ever house wine you have bartender. NO glass just the bottle

morct
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't know what the count is, but it seems like this has been a very bloody first Tuesday in the mens game.

And I'm still being tortured by Bjorkman, but it's not looking too good. :undecided:

mickeycharms
05-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Moose, did i enter my pick too late? Where do u find "standings"?

Moose
05-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Moose, did i enter my pick too late? Where do u find "standings"?

Mickey:

First picks had to be in by 11:00 a.m. yesterday Paris time. Your picks were posted many hours after the thread was closed and play had begun. Because of the number of people that play, and in fairness to everyone, we can't accept late selections. I'm sorry.

We'll be playing again for Wimbledon. I hope you'll be back for that, or continue to join us in the discussions during the French.

sblanc
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Knocked out in the first round thanks to Acauso. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Thank God for Paszek who's kept me alive on the womens side.

Marathongirl
05-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh what a day...King and Henman! Please pour me a drink. I'll take anything, just make it strong.

atlpam
05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh what a day...King and Henman! Please pour me a drink. I'll take anything, just make it strong.

I had King and Henman too - maybe we should change it to "great minds drink alike"

Madame
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi there.
Well first SP, first pick, and I'm allready a loser ):
I seem to be the only one that thought Zheng would win.

oh well, that's life. I'll be better at Wimbledon ...

Moose
05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi there.
Well first SP, first pick, and I'm allready a loser ):
I seem to be the only one that thought Zheng would win.

oh well, that's life. I'll be better at Wimbledon ...
Madame:

Are you still in the mens game? We play each one seperately, so if you aren't eliminated in the mens game yet, your still in the pool. Besides, I really enjoy seeing Calvin and Hobbes accompany your picks!

beaujarkko
05-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Moose,

beaujarkko may not like that!

Thanks for standing up for me, jiggy.

Remember how I, Jarkko Nieminen, took a set off Rafael Nadal last summer on clay? I thought you might have forgotten. :D

Furthermore, looks like we JUST survived on that Castano pick, moose. Ouch. Stupid Emma Laine and her almost winning.

Moose
05-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Remember how I, Jarkko Nieminen, took a set off Rafael Nadal last summer on clay? I thought you might have forgotten. :D

Furthermore, looks like we JUST survived on that Castano pick, moose. Ouch. Stupid Emma Laine and her almost winning.

hey, I think ice would make a great surface. I can see a lot of ladies doing Clijster-esque splits.

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 01:33 PM

And! you, Jarkko Nieminen, saved shtexas from a mmmm8-style exit. That's gotta count for something since he runs the thing.

I'm going to go through the member's list to see if there are any named Julien. I just lost 199 ranking points. I need someone to blame. I wonder if I can go from #1 in men's SP rankings to not on the list.

catz33
05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Pour me a drink.

Poor me a drink.

I hate it when that happens!

beaujarkko
05-29-2007, 01:40 PM
And! you, Jarkko Nieminen, saved shtexas from a mmmm8-style exit. That's gotta count for something since he runs the thing.

I'm going to go through the member's list to see if there are any named Julien. I just lost 199 ranking points. I need someone to blame. I wonder if I can go from #1 in men's SP rankings to not on the list.

Well, you know, Francisco can be dangerous, but I can be craftier and I just decided I needed to live up to my seeding. After all, shtexas controls the SP. Gotta represent, you know?

Also, you lost 199 points? Ouch. That means I'll be moving up one spot to number 11. *Ka-ching* I mean... I'm really sorry, m8.

Madame
05-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Madame:

Are you still in the mens game? We play each one seperately, so if you aren't eliminated in the mens game yet, your still in the pool. Besides, I really enjoy seeing Calvin and Hobbes accompany your picks!

Thanks Moose. I love Calvin & Hobbes

Yes, I'm still in the men's SP ... we'll see how long ...

njdesantis
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Count me in with the losers today in the men's pool- Johansson falls in 3 tough sets.

It seems like a handful of veteran players got knocked out today -Henman, Hrbaty, Johansson, among others.

manolo
05-29-2007, 02:33 PM
did anyone else get in here because of Hrbaty's fault?
I think not, so I'll go and sit alone in the corner... can you bring me...whatever they drink in Slovakia? (absinthe, maybe?)

Scotty
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
since I'm the only one who picked Cilic, I'll just drown my sorrows in something Croatian (Moosevic's influence pushed me to the wrong side of the border).
I suppose I'll take some consolation in the fact that I would have lost with Hrbaty today, anyway.

So, what do the Croats and/or Slovaks call their national form of 150-proof rocket fuel?
Maybe a nice Rakija, Croatian ouzo (a Drenovac made from cherries)?
or a Slivovica (Slovakian brandy).

Evidently, one can also get Slovakian Tokay (which I thought was exclusively Hungarian).

Anyway, I'll be thoroughly sloshed as a pre-emptive strike, for when Schruff lands my other cheek in here.

S

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I think not, so I'll go and sit alone in the corner... can you bring me...whatever they drink in Slovakia? (absinthe, maybe?)

I got the dibs on absinthe around here, manolo. You can have some, but it'll cost ya extra.

Time to hit the jukebox. GVGirl has been getting this wrong in the welcome threads.

r9FajBEdDAw

Buh-bye, Julien Benneteau. And I liked you!

it's so horrible and so catchy

Jay
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
All I have to say is WOW.

So many people out on the first day. And this bar is sooo understaffed.

anywho...

I guess i'll start getting those drinks before these people start rioting.

*pours drinks*

SoraOblivion62
05-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Not 12 hours after I find out King lost... I watch az Calleri fallz to ztupud Zabaleta (zee the Z's lmao).

I'll join you guys 'cause I'm all in now :P.

Jack
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/jrcunniff/julien_chump.jpg

Bonjour, mes amis! It is I, Julien! Is this seat taken? I see on ze door it says "Losair Lounge" and I zink to myself, "well who is a biggair losair than me today?" Well, all of you, but of course! In France we have ze word for people like you. We call zem "Suckairs!" Heh, heh, heh!

All of you people are tres stupide! Why, you should have picked Monsieur Carlos Berlocq, and you would still be in ze pool! Oh, oui, oui, Monsieur Berlocq has nevair won ze Grand Slam match before, but he has to start sometime, non? I say to myself "why not today? Let Carlos win zis one match, non?"

Ou est Francesca? Usually she is here after ze first round. What is that
, you say? She is winnair today? Oh, well done Frannie! Someday soon, we make ze babies togethair and in twenty years they lose in first round in Paree, non? Hopefully all you suckairs learn by zen - do not pick Jean Schiavone-Benneteau in your zilly leetle Zuicide Pool, non? Heh, heh, heh!

Au revoir! I see you at ze Wimbledon, mes amis!!

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/jrcunniff/julien_chump.jpg

Bonjour, mes amis! It is I, Julien! Is this seat taken? I see on ze door it says "Losair Lounge" and I zink to myself, "well who is a biggair losair than me today?" Well, all of you, but of course! In France we have ze word for people like you. We call zem "Suckairs!" Heh, heh, heh!

All of you people are tres stupide! Why, you should have picked Monsieur Carlos Berlocq, and you would still be in ze pool! Oh, oui, oui, Monsieur Berlocq has nevair won ze Grand Slam match before, but he has to start sometime, non? I say to myself "why not today? Let Carlos win zis one match, non?"

Ou est Francesca? Usually she is here after ze first round. What is that
, you say? She is winnair today? Oh, well done Frannie! Someday soon, we make ze babies togethair and in twenty years they lose in first round in Paree, non? Hopefully all you suckairs learn by zen - do not pick Jean Schiavone-Benneteau in your zilly leetle Zuicide Pool, non? Heh, heh, heh!

Au revoir! I see you at ze Wimbledon, mes amis!!

:hyst:

I guess he did not want to defend his quarterfinal points.

Kind of apt, actually. I (sort of) won the FOSP last year because of him and I lost first round this year because of him.

Please don't make zee babies with Francesca, Julien. If you have to raise someone together to lose at RG, adopt. David Nalbandian seems due to give birth any day now.

Jack
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Please don't make zee babies with Francesca, Julien. If you have to raise someone together to lose at RG, adopt. David Nalbandian seems due to give birth any day now.

No babies with Francesca? Only if you make promise to me to pick me in ze Wimbledon Zuicide Pool, non? I zink I play Rita Grande in ze first round, so it's safe pick, oui, oui. Zere is no way I lose to Rita, non? Heh, heh, heh.

Look out, ze Wimbledon!!

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
No babies with Francesca? Only if you make promise to me to pick me in ze Wimbledon Zuicide Pool, non? I zink I play Rita Grande in ze first round, so it's safe pick, oui, oui. Zere is no way I lose to Rita, non? Heh, heh, heh.

Look out, ze Wimbledon!!

Camille Pin - RG'07 Champion!
Julien Benneteau - Wimbledon'07 Champion!
Jerome Haehnel - USO'07 Champion!
Stephanie Cohen Aloro - AO'08 Champion!

Jack
05-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Camille Pin - RG'07 Champion!
Julien Benneteau - Wimbledon'07 Champion!
Jerome Haehnel - USO'07 Champion!
Stephanie Cohen Aloro - AO'08 Champion!

Hey! Welcome aboard the Pin train! (Population: 2) I knew I could convert some of you. Let's face it - how many of you thought she would still be standing on Day 4 in Paris, yet to lose a game. PinPower!

But I do have to tell you, you're completely out of your mind if you think Craybas will be shut out of the slams this year.

My tip for '08: I see a big Goolagong-Cawley comeback in the works...

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey! Welcome aboard the Pin train! (Population: 2) I knew I could convert some of you. Let's face it - how many of you thought she would still be standing on Day 4 in Paris, yet to lose a game. PinPower!

But I do have to tell you, you're completely out of your mind if you think Craybas will be shut out of the slams this year.

My tip for '08: I see a big Goolagong-Cawley comeback in the works...

Why do you think I left the Wimbledon and USO women's spots open? I just didn't want to say it outloud

aedra1119
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Not 12 hours after I find out King lost... I watch az Calleri fallz to ztupud Zabaleta (zee the Z's lmao).

I'll join you guys 'cause I'm all in now :P.

Aww...sorry, Sora. :(

Don't worry. Wimbledon is right around the corner, and you get to do this all over again! :D

MonkeyPants
05-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Anyone else drinking in honor of Calleri in here? Tequila shots are on me. Anyone? Bueller?

jkfriedman
05-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Manolo

I have a table in the back. I've been waiting for you. Please join me.
I've got to toast Bohdan Ulihrach --excellent job old man (I do mean old). Got through the qualies. Beat a seed - must think it's the mid-nineties again.

Never pick Hrbaty in the SP--I should have known better.

Finally a toast to Andy and James--I can't believe your here
Grab a chair

Moose
05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't know that I have ever seen so many different players knocked out by so many different ATP'ers. Usually its a bandwagon effect that brings in a crowd. Today, its just one player after another dragging them in.

craighickman
05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Move over and make room for my second cheek - I had Henman as well and already lost on the Women's side by standing behind an American (Vania King). So much for my first try at the suicide pool:shocked:

And I didn't even mean to pick Timmy. :(

Martini4me
05-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Just looked at the men's picks thread, and for some reason my name is in red.:shocked:

What was that about? I even researched (a bit) my pick!! Ahhh, Calleri. A seed going down to someone who didn't even earn his way in through qualifying!! How safe a pick can that be??

In honour of Argentina (winner or loser), how about a glass (like a fishbowl) of Malbec, and a pound or two of grilled meat?

P.S. Monkeypants, just saw your post. Tequila is good too, but that come from alittle farther north.

catz33
05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I had King and Henman too - maybe we should change it to "great minds drink alike"

lol

Jack
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Just looked at the men's picks thread, and for some reason my name is in red.:shocked:

What was that about? I even researched (a bit) my pick!! Ahhh, Calleri. A seed going down to someone who didn't even earn his way in through qualifying!! How safe a pick can that be??

In honour of Argentina (winner or loser), how about a glass (like a fishbowl) of Malbec, and a pound or two of grilled meat?

P.S. Monkeypants, just saw your post. Tequila is good too, but that come from alittle farther north.

Is this the same Calleri who lost 1R of Australian to the renowned Zack Fleishman? Been there, done that.
:p

mysterX
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know that I have ever seen so many different players knocked out by so many different ATP'ers. Usually its a bandwagon effect that brings in a crowd. Today, its just one player after another dragging them in.

Yeah, I looked over six choices before I went with Hrbaty. Four of the six I was considering lost (Calleri, Johansson, Becker and the Shirt). Verdasco and (probably) Hernandez made it through. Just a tough day.

I don't feel so bad as I would on a day where I missed an obvious pick, but I do feel bad enough to start drinking heavily.

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Time to change the record. Enjoy for the night

hVBKN8kDUpA

It's hilarious

dougforte
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, everyone, it was a fun first round. Is there some unofficial rule of thumb that the rounds you don't complete in the pool you take at the bar? It seems to make sense. I haven't completely kept track, but I think that due to the magic of rain delays I may have had the privilege of getting knocked out of the men's side on multiple valid picks. Ouch. Well, I'll try to at least show up for the Wimby pool and thus match my performance at the French. Hope to see you all here (preferably while I'm still afloat) Smiles, df

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, everyone, it was a fun first round. Is there some unofficial rule of thumb that the rounds you don't complete in the pool you take at the bar? It seems to make sense. I haven't completely kept track, but I think that due to the magic of rain delays I may have had the privilege of getting knocked out of the men's side on multiple valid picks. Ouch. Well, I'll try to at least show up for the Wimby pool and thus match my performance at the French. Hope to see you all here (preferably while I'm still afloat) Smiles, df

Nice!

It wasn't a rule, but it is now!

What's your poison?

Danielle
05-29-2007, 10:03 PM

hVBKN8kDUpA

It's hilarious

Oh my...I'm not sure what's worse his rapping or the shinypants...both are kinda painful. ;)

jjnow
05-30-2007, 04:56 AM
The Safin Special, please.

jj

Lucy_TW
05-30-2007, 05:45 AM
Offenses committed by Flavia Pennetta, circa 2000-present

1. Girlfriend of Carlos Moya. Underqualified.
2. Says her favourite band is U2. No it isn't, Flavia. It's something embarrassing, but you're just not saying. Nobody's favourite band is U2.
3. AND NOW THIS. NICOLE PRATT?! Why oh why oh why?

Aaaanyway, I'm having a caipirinha, make it strong. And what's this I hear about jukeboxes?

*sits one cheek squarely in Losers' Lounge*

jjnow
05-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Offenses committed by Flavia Pennetta, circa 2000-present

1. Girlfriend of Carlos Moya. Underqualified.
2. Says her favourite band is U2. No it isn't, Flavia. It's something embarrassing, but you're just not saying. Nobody's favourite band is U2.
3. AND NOW THIS. NICOLE PRATT?! Why oh why oh why?

Aaaanyway, I'm having a caipirinha, make it strong. And what's this I hear about jukeboxes?

*sits one cheek squarely in Losers' Lounge*
LOL!

jj

Jay
05-30-2007, 06:58 AM

hVBKN8kDUpA

It's hilarious

Someone SERIOUSLY needs to tell him that he SUCKS at rapping.

anyhoot.

What would the Safin pickers, and other random full and part cheekers, want to drink today?

My name is Jessie, and I'm here to serve your Loser ass drinks. ;)

IntnstyAngle
05-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey... I'm half way in now. Just woke up and realized Safin sucks big time XD. I did all the research so... I guess he just didn't feel like playing today. On the bright side, Ms. (or Mrs... I don't know) Krajicek is winning so I'm still in on the women's side. Any Safin pickers wanna join me for a little drink?

patamf
05-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Merci Monsieur Gasquet!!!
Some red wine please!

beaujarkko
05-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Almagro, party of 9, please.

I won't be joining you... yet.

beaujarkko
05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
And... make way for the Stepanek crowd. Shoulda called ahead for reservations. Not sure we have a table for 23 at the moment.

munchin
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Let me get this straight...Stepanek can beat Fernando Gonzalez in straight sets but can't beat some average, barely-satisfactory French nobody, well out of the top 100 after being up a break in the 5th? What a chump.....Okay, I take that back, we still love you Radek.

evil_juju
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
And... make way for the Stepanek crowd. Shoulda called ahead for reservations. Not sure we have a table for 23 at the moment.

ok im first!!!! NEVER PICK THE MAN THAT GOING TO WED MARTINA HINGIS!!! bleh! :sick:

on the plus side this is the longest I've ever made it in the mens SP!

beaujarkko
05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
on the plus side this is the longest I've ever made it in the mens SP!

Well, congratulations for that! By all accounts, this should not have happened.

luvs10s
05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Thought I'd pop in and see if the Stepanek table was ready yet to put my half-cheek on.

Mother told me 'never follow the crowd, always be yourself' but did I listen well enough - apparently not on this occassion.

Anyway, I'll have vat of whatever's going. Cheers.

nelslus
05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I hope Mr. and Mrs. Hingis (you get to pick which is which) have evil, mutant babies that will grow up to rob him of all of his savings, and kick his useless, senile old ass out into the cold. (As by that point in time Hingis will be busy hitting on the sons of Sampras and Agassi.)

DAMN that Stepanek.

Herodotus
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Hot Lips Stepanek was up 2-1 but still managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. He destroyed Gonzalez and I thought it would be an easy win. Go figure. But it is to be expected I guess. Lose early in the men's and go far in the women's has been my pattern.

Drop-shot
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Where's the Stepanek table? i'll have anything with enough alcohol to forget such a choice.
why oh why do you torture me radek?!!
serves me well, never choose a shocker, they usually deflate in the next match

oh, put it on Radek's tab

Fiercehart
05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately I'm with the Stepanek party as well. I totally forgot about the Hingis curse. She should pick up our tab!

oploskoffie
05-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately I'm with the Stepanek party as well. I totally forgot about the Hingis curse. She should pick up our tab!

I'd say you've just won the prize for idea of the day :D

luvs10s
05-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Seconded.

oploskoffie
05-31-2007, 06:07 AM
*INCOMING!*

Party of, ehm, several Dulko pickers... :undecided:

mrjiggyfly2
05-31-2007, 06:08 AM
*INCOMING!*

Party of, ehm, several Dulko pickers... :undecided:

you beat me to it mr. koffie!!

Moose
05-31-2007, 06:10 AM
you said it, Mr. Koffie. And if they have stomach problems after that match, Gisela would like to offer a complimentary Dulko-lax.

jjnow
05-31-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm completely finished. Safin and Dulko.

Remember those names.

jj

oploskoffie
05-31-2007, 06:11 AM
A quick count brings me to TWENTY Dulko victims. :undecided:

If Alona loses, we'll need to break out a wall to make room in here.

tennisbrp
05-31-2007, 06:13 AM
Terrible to be out already but I leave at 6 tonight for Paris so maybe I can see her and cuss her out in person....SKINNY, PRETTY FOOL!

Darcy
05-31-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm here now. I knew I should have picked Marcos! G. G-L loses to Brzicki, or something like that.

I think I'll sing "Yesterday". :drunk1:

Moose
05-31-2007, 06:16 AM

When I saw today's matches, I thought there was going to be trouble.

oploskoffie
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm here now. I knew I should have picked Marcos! G. G-L loses to Brzicki, or something like that.

I think I'll sing "Yesterday". :drunk1:

Cheers, Darcy! Love the pink cap ;)

morct
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM

OUCH!

oploskoffie
05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
OUCH!

Alona has lost the first set. Pick a table while you can :p

joshman_can
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
I admit, I will be sitting at a Dulko table.

I was aware that, as Jon eloquently put it she's a `first-team headcase' (not to mention I'm pretty sure she knocked me out of Wimby last year) but that was a risk I was willing to take

Next time, perhaps when she is involved, I'll multiply the risk factor by about 100 and ask myself if I'm still willing to take it

Moose
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
INCOMING

I think Tati's title was just stolen from her.

tennisbrp
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Bondarenko family crash lands

atlpam
05-31-2007, 07:08 AM
I brought my axe - ready to start demolition to make room for the Alona Bondarenko party!

oploskoffie
05-31-2007, 07:08 AM
:cry:

calvin_hobbes29
05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Bondarenko, party of nine zillion.

(I knew I should've picked Peer...)

Moose
05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
I brought my axe - ready to start demolition to make room for the Alona Bondarenko party!

Axe....I think we need one of those big balls on a crane to make enough room for this bandwagon, Pam!

Moose
05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
56 players out allready today in the Womens Game....and still a couple of bandwagons that have to survive the day. Simply brutal.

JTContinental
05-31-2007, 07:16 AM
:confused:
Bondarenko, party of nine zillion.

(I knew I should've picked Peer...)

I guess I'm joining this table, too.

Oh, well, who likes the clay court season, anyway? Bring on Wimbledon. :confused:

Jay
05-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Wow..lots of losers...lots of alcohol.

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/25/vodka-T0753.jpg

Anyone need some of this?

craighickman
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Sorry for you Dulko losers. I'm out already because I didn't make a pick for Day 3 so I'm not gloating here.

But as I said in the play thread, Dulko is only good for ONE ROUND AT A SLAM. She might win more, but the woman has issues. So for future reference, file this note away.

mmmm8
05-31-2007, 07:21 AM
BLOODSHED

Jay
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Sorry for you Dulko losers. I'm out already because I didn't make a pick for Day 3 so I'm not gloating here.

But as I said in the play thread, Dulko is only good for ONE ROUND AT A SLAM. She might win more, but the woman has issues. So for future reference, file this note away.

Me too..I forgot to make a pick for day 3...mostly because something came up last night that kinda upset me.

anywho..

Who's up for more alcohol?? The LL is stocked.

http://www.talktofrank.com/uploadedImages/Drugs/LARGE%20PHOTOS_ALCOHOL.jpg

RedClaw
05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Ooof. Lets hope you can find room for my one cheek... (Assuming Mr. Ferrer makes it through)

That's what I get for only finding time to check my mens pick and not looking at my womens. Amazing carnage on the womens side to make up for yesterday.