PDA

View Full Version : Player nicknames overused?

Kirkus
05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Do you think nicknames are over used on tennis forums?

Do you have trouble keeping track of player nicknames?

Does it take away from the discussion if you run into a nickname you don't know?

dryrunguy
05-14-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I've already made my feelings about the issue known in the threads. Yes, they're overused, but only to the extent that some feel a need to create new ones on a near-daily basis.

There are standard nicknames that are commonly used... Gonzo, Vee, Ree, Tati, Dima (which we got a new version of that one today and I haven't the faintest clue as to why), etc. They're cool if they're commonly used and widely understood. But creating new ones all the time that won't be familiar to new users, visitors, or infrequent posters is potentially problemmatic for what is supposed to be a broad and inclusive community that encourages discussion beyond a select few who are familiar with the terms being used because they spend more time here. Otherwise, we run the risk of appearing to be elitist and cliquish. I don't think that's what TAT is about.

New nicknames should pop up accidentally and in the free flow of discussion. That's totally cool. But creating new ones for no clear reason will not do anything to promote the widest and most inclusive discussion possible. New nicknames should not be a personal campaign.

Do I have trouble following them? Well, I had to ask about PEHK today, so sometimes, I guess that's the case. But I'm usually here enough that I can follow it. Others, however, don't. I worry about those folks.

Does it take away from discussion? That depends on whether or not a person is privy to it or has the interest or inclination to go digging for more background. Many people will just scroll on by... And perhaps, feel a little left out. Whether anyone cares or not may be a different story. It depends on whether or not TAT is a community or a personal playground.

Dry

mrjiggyfly2
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I've already made my feelings about the issue known in the threads. Yes, they're overused, but only to the extent that some feel a need to create new ones on a near-daily basis.

There are standard nicknames that are commonly used... Gonzo, Vee, Ree, Tati, Dima (which we got a new version of that one today and I haven't the faintest clue as to why), etc. They're cool if they're commonly used and widely understood. But creating new ones all the time that won't be familiar to new users, visitors, or infrequent posters is potentially problemmatic for what is supposed to be a broad and inclusive community that encourages discussion beyond a select few who are familiar with the terms being used because they spend more time here. Otherwise, we run the risk of appearing to be elitist and cliquish. I don't think that's what TAT is about.

New nicknames should pop up accidentally and in the free flow of discussion. That's totally cool. But creating new ones for no clear reason will not do anything to promote the widest and most inclusive discussion possible. New nicknames should not be a personal campaign.

Do I have trouble following them? Well, I had to ask about PEHK today, so sometimes, I guess that's the case. But I'm usually here enough that I can follow it. Others, however, don't. I worry about those folks.

Does it take away from discussion? That depends on whether or not a person is privy to it or has the interest or inclination to go digging for more background. Many people will just scroll on by... And perhaps, feel a little left out. Whether anyone cares or not may be a different story. It depends on whether or not TAT is a community or a personal playground.

Dry

I think you hit the nail on the head, Dry.
But I do want to state that I don't think that those of us who do use nicknames often, have ever used them knowing that others may be left in the dark because of them. The last line of your post comes off a bit harsh on those of us who like to use nicknames, but haven't realized the negative affect the nicknames could have on other members. I have no problem referring to PEHK by his given name, Philipp Eberhard Hermann Kohschreiber!
But any improprieties to this point were due to ignorance, not malice.
I think we all know that TAT is a community, and I consider it a community playground!

oploskoffie
05-15-2007, 12:59 AM
It depends on whether or not TAT is a community or a personal playground.

Dry

I see a lot of good points in what you write, and can understand if not agree with most of 'm as well. On the other hand, I feel the whole idea of seeing the use of nicknames, common variations as well as new ones, as a reason why people might be turned off and not seeing TAT (or any other board) as a community but a clique's playground as rather far-fetched and pretty harsh on those who do use nicknames often or come up with new ones. The word elitist doesn't even come into it as far as I'm concerned. Every community will always have it's own peculiarities and it's something that can distinguish it from others. Unless you're using a nickname that is completely impossible to understand, it doesn't bother me one bit. And when I don't understand, I usually ask what it means.

mrjiggyfly2
05-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Does anybody know when Masha's coming back?? :banana:

Just a little comic relief :laugh:

catz33
05-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Why not just have a key? For those of us following the game it really doesn't take much of an effort to figure out who is being discussed by process of elimination. You guys got me on Ginepri the other day but have been able to follow most. And for those that are prone to using nicknames why not in the first post of each day put the actual players name in paranthesis next to the nickname and then proceed to post with the shortened version whenever that player is mentioned again.

jjnow
05-15-2007, 02:48 AM
I see a lot of good points in what you write, and can understand if not agree with most of 'm as well. On the other hand, I feel the whole idea of seeing the use of nicknames, common variations as well as new ones, as a reason why people might be turned off and not seeing TAT (or any other board) as a community but a clique's playground as rather far-fetched and pretty harsh on those who do use nicknames often or come up with new ones. The word elitist doesn't even come into it as far as I'm concerned. Every community will always have it's own peculiarities and it's something that can distinguish it from others. Unless you're using a nickname that is completely impossible to understand, it doesn't bother me one bit. And when I don't understand, I usually ask what it means.
Essentially my own feelings, Mr. Koffie.

jj

mrjiggyfly2
05-15-2007, 04:47 AM
bump

shtexas
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM
I think they have been multplying at an alarming rate lately and that concerns me. I want old and new members to be able to tell who posters are discussing.

It may work itself out in the end, but I don't want it to lead to:

"Fena outlasted Misha"

"Misa couldn't handle Vika"

"Legs is beating up on Kleine Kraai"

Moose
05-15-2007, 05:46 AM
I think part of the fun of a tennis community comes when we create our own nicknames for players. I think Ti invited Maid Marion for Bartoli, which has stuck around here. And a lot of us have taken Jiggy's PEHK for Kohlschrieber, and Bleep for Dlouhy. Tends to make those players who have a TAT nickname more interesting for us to follow here, usually because there are stories behind the name that we know.

Having said that, I think that might be offputting to any new member that start seeing that we have our own lingo. They would either want to jump right in, or perhaps be put off by it.

I like using nicknames. But if others find it hard to follow, I understand.

morct
05-15-2007, 06:04 AM
I voted in the "Don't Care" category - but I do remember when I started posting first that I did find it a bit off-putting.

I think Dry's comments are spot on.

suliso
05-15-2007, 06:22 AM
I don't really have a problem with nicknames (but I am here a lot), but I think some are a bit overused. I think obvious ones (like Rafa, Masha, Vika, Misa etc) are fine, but the ones which are based on reading TAT a lot may be should be limited or at least explained (like GSPE or whatever people are calling Gonzalez now)...

Charlie02123
05-15-2007, 06:41 AM
So maybe we should make a key of 15 or 20 knicknames that can be used without explanation and if anyone else wants to make up a new one they have to put the actual name in parenthesis.

I think Dorya (Dryrunguy) made some excellent points. I thought it was fairly confusing when Matey (mmmm8) said "Yulya" yesterday for some random player.

PS: I've never made up knicknames before, so I thought I would give it a try. :)

catz33
05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Creativity is good, nicknames are human nature as long as no one gives a person who enquires a snarky response and can actually give the history of the nickname. The community is what it is, it has evolved to this point and Bleep was pretty freakin comical. I don't understand the fuss. A compromise would be for people who like to use nicknames to key them in their signature. I tend to use Mo for Amelie

shtexas
05-15-2007, 06:47 AM
I think part of the fun of a tennis community comes when we create our own nicknames for players. I think Ti invited Maid Marion for Bartoli, which has stuck around here. And a lot of us have taken Jiggy's PEHK for Kohlschrieber, and Bleep for Dlouhy. Tends to make those players who have a TAT nickname more interesting for us to follow here, usually because there are stories behind the name that we know.

Having said that, I think that might be offputting to any new member that start seeing that we have our own lingo. They would either want to jump right in, or perhaps be put off by it.

I like using nicknames. But if others find it hard to follow, I understand.

It's a balance and something that shouldn't be moderated. We want the community atmosphere, but we don't want to appear that we are not open to outsiders.

I am here a lot, and I even have found myself having to go look at draws just to figure out who some posters are talking about. Posters shouldn't have to look elsewhere.

I know forums like MTF and WTA World use them a lot. But, their boards are structured differently. They often have one thread devoted to a particular match. So, if Gonzalez is playing Volandri and within that thread they refer to Fena and Pippo, posters can figure it out.

Here, we have a wta thread and an atp thread each week. A better system in my opinion because it fosters more discussion without having to move from thread to thread for each match. But, with it, we have to be mindful that a lot of matches are being discussed and some of the nicknames lead to confusion (or worse yet, disinterest). For example, and I don't mean to single any one poster out, on Saturday in the wta weekly event thread, "Vika retired :( " was posted. Well, the first thing that popped into my mind was Vakulenko because she had retired in the first set in Berlin. But, on looking at the scoreboard, I realized that Azarenka had retired late in the match in the Prague (the smaller event) and Vika was probably Victoria. If I had not looked at the scoreboard, I would have figured it was Vakulenko. Second example is Misa. When I first saw it, I had no clue. Then, the next post tried to help by saying "Misa (MK)". Well, the first MK that popped into my mind was Maria Kirilenko. But, upon looking at the draws that week, I discovered it was Michaela Krajicek.

So, nicknames and name variants may help our community atmosphere but having to look elsewhere to figure out who is being discussed does not help our community atmosphere. It's a double-edged sword. I think the solution is for everyone to just be mindful that not everyone is familiar with lesser known nicknames (especially for players who are not in the top 30 or so).

Scotty
05-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't really have a problem with nicknames (but I am here a lot), but I think some are a bit overused. I think obvious ones (like Rafa, Masha, Vika, Misa etc) are fine, but the ones which are based on reading TAT a lot may be should be limited or at least explained (like GSPE or whatever people are calling Gonzalez now)...

Very good points. I think CSPE (clean shaven, pretty eyes) for Gonzalez--which was invented during extreme late night delerium of the men's AO final--was intended to make people here feel like they're part of the group that is TAT, not excluded from it.

I like the idea of a list, like the Dumpster vocabulary, for those who want a refresher on who Masha, Misa, Mika, etc. are.

S

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 06:54 AM
I guess that's part of the problem... I don't see anything obvious about some of the nicknames others consider obvious... Vika makes some sense but most of the otheres shtexas referenced? I didn't even know about ANY of those! This is the first time I'm seeing them.

And I apologize if I was harsh. But that's also a two-way street... Like when I raise a concern about in a thread and I'm swatted away like an annoying fly for raising the question. That was harsh, and no one was listening.

There's a middle ground. No one is suggesting "no nicknames". I don't see why it has to be an either/or, nonnegotiable situation.

Dry

suliso
05-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, actually most of the nicknames used here are hardly nicknames at all, but merely standard short forms of Slavic (mostly Russian) first names. So Vika can really refer only to Victoria and Masha to Maria, but I understand that it is probably not obvious for those who don’t understand the language. I will try to remember to explain next time I use Misa :)

oploskoffie
05-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Never any flyswatting intended, Dry http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eolie/fok/smilies/Smilies/apk_worry-rose.gif

shtexas
05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Well, actually most of the nicknames used here are hardly nicknames at all, but merely standard short forms of Slavic (mostly Russian) first names. So Vika can really refer only to Victoria and Masha to Maria, but I understand that it is probably not obvious for those who don’t understand the language. I will try to remember to explain next time I use Misa :)

And I know it makes things sound more friendly than Victoria or Michaella or Mikhail. That was probably why Natalia Zvereva changed her first name to Natasha. But, that name change was reflected by the wta too. So, when Mikhail becomes Misha (but is listed as Mikhail by the atp), some may not catch the connection right off the bat.

catz33
05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Never any flyswatting intended, Dry http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eolie/fok/smilies/Smilies/apk_worry-rose.gif

I was just praticing my backhand.

Martini4me
05-15-2007, 07:48 AM

I'm often lost in the forest of nicknames. For instance, I don't know who the "obvious" Vika or Misa are, or Kolya, for that matter. And I know who Sister Bethanie is, but I don't know why. It's easy to figure them out if they're used in connection with discussion of a particular match; but if it's in a more general tennis discussion, or if someone's not reading live, but catching up a day (or two's) posting regarding a tournament or two, then reading something like "Vika's fourth double fault" gives me no clue. Heck, sometimes you don't even know which tournament is being written about.

I certainly admit they're fun, and much easier to type, but for the more occasional members, they can be overwhelming. Maybe there needs to be a glossary (like for the Dumpster), but it needs to be a single post, and alphabetically listed. That way new users can quickly get up to speed.

bea26
05-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I actually appreciate the idea that some might be confused by the nicknames. Vika, Misa and Koyla weren't obvious to me. That said, I say people should feel free to call players whatever they want, just be aware that others may not respond to their posts out of confusion.

Foxykhat
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I really don't see the use of nicknames a big issue, if you don't understand who the poster is referring to ask a question, that's what I do. I don't know why anyone would be turned off from TAT or any forum if you visit/lurking and regular posters are using nics, that is bound to happen if you are new anyway. If you are interested you will spend more time there and eventually figure it out or better yet ask what it means. That's like being new to internet and people use LOL, ROFL or JAS and you don't understand. Would you get turned off or would you simply ask for the meaning?

Frankly when I don't understand the nicknames (and there are a lot I don't understand) I either ask or continue reading and eventually figure it out. Maybe other are not as patient as I am in wanting to wait and figure it out but to be honest I really don't see it as an issue.

Foxy

Ti-Amie
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
You all have no idea how long it took me to figure out who Vika and Pippo were. And Pim Pim threw me for a loop too.

As someone upthread said mtf uses nick names a lot. They're pretty much generic to that board though. For instance if Roddick is doing well, or crashes and burns you'll see the "Duck Hunting" thread pop up over there. They also have a "Piggy Roasting Thread" for Rafa whether he does well or not. S!atan is a nom de guerre for Lleyton Hewitt from TOB. Others like FedGd or the FedBot have also been imported.

The Russian diminutives can get confusing but you find them on other boards as well.

We're a different lot over here so maybe a sticky could be made of nicknames? For instance when someone started typing out Kohlschreiber's full name it got shortened to PEHK. Maid Marion for Bartoli and her Rubenesque figure and long flowing hair.

I understand Dry's point and think for now, since so many new people are joining we should try and reference the players real name. Clean Shaven Pretty Eyes for Fena has had to be changed to CSPE since he's no longer removing all his body hair. I prefer Fena to Gonzo but use both.

one_shot07
05-15-2007, 08:49 AM
The use of nicknames doesn't bother me... I don't really use them all that often and when I don't kno one, I simply ask because everyone is willing to tell so it's not all that big of a deal... when you're here long enough, you start to pick up on who they're talkin about anyways... so it's not a big deal at all!

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
So maybe we should make a key of 15 or 20 knicknames that can be used without explanation and if anyone else wants to make up a new one they have to put the actual name in parenthesis.

I think Dorya (Dryrunguy) made some excellent points. I thought it was fairly confusing when Matey (mmmm8) said "Yulya" yesterday for some random player.

PS: I've never made up knicknames before, so I thought I would give it a try. :)

Matey. I like it.

It's funny you all are suggesting a sticky vocab list for nicknames because I've been working on one for about a week since this issue was brought up among the staff. It was going to be a surprise, but maybe it'll help this discussion.

The chart will feature correct (not WTA/ESPN-made) name pronunciation and nicknames (3 categories of them!).

The WTA list is probably going to be ready tomorrow.

Do people think that is a good idea or that it is going to bring up more use of nicknames and, thus, more problems?

bea26
05-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Do people think that is a good idea or that it is going to bring up more use of nicknames and, thus, more problems?

I love that this place evolves. That said, I probably won't be looking at the list too much. For a random name, sure. But if someone's post starts to look like a Ted Casablanca Blind Item I'm movin' on to the next one. :)

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I love that this place evolves. That said, I probably won't be looking at the list too much. For a random name, sure. But if someone's post starts to look like a Ted Casablanca Blind Item I'm movin' on to the next one. :)

Oh, common, you know you are going to start that thread.

hurricanejeanne
05-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Matey. I like it.

It's funny you all are suggesting a sticky vocab list for nicknames because I've been working on one for about a week since this issue was brought up among the staff. It was going to be a surprise, but maybe it'll help this discussion.

The chart will feature correct (not WTA/ESPN-made) name pronunciation and nicknames (3 categories of them!).

A list would be perfect.

I use nicknames but I often try to use nicknames that are obvious shorthand versions of the real name. It's a lot easier typing Tati in the a livescore than typing out Tatiana. Same goes for Nikki (for Nicole), Linds (for Lindsay) and so on.

Some of the nicknames used are a little out there, but I've never been turned off by not knowing and usually try to figure it out, and I'm not afraid to ask, but I can see how it can get confusing. So I think a chart with the most common nicknames for players would help a lot. :)

morct
05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Matey. I like it.

Could you guys be any more inclusive?? :lovestruck:

bea26
05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, common, you know you are going to start that thread.

I'm common now? Do I rap?

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Matey. I like it.

M8, everyone seems to agree that a list is a good idea. If anyone objected, I missed it. As for how comprehensive the list should be, I'll have to think about it more. For example, some of the names shtexas listed are not ones I'd include, only because they're just so "out there".

Will it encourage more use and more names? I don't know. Maybe we could include a statement saying something like:

"These are nicknames commonly (that would rule out some that are really out there) used on TAT, but out of respect for a rapidly growing membership and less frequent visitors, let's try to keep nickname use and the creation of new nicknames to a minimum."

Is that a possibility? Or some variation?

We should probably keep in mind that the thread has only been up for 12 hours... Some of the less frequent visitors probably haven't had a chance to provide their feedback.

Dry

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
We already agreed to include a similar disclaimer to one you suggest, dry.

I have included the players listed on the WTA/ATP site - I think they use the top 100. I did it mostly because of my pet peeve, which is pronunciation, and I will include the nicknames for them that I know of. It's up to our members to use them or not.

suliso
05-15-2007, 10:39 AM
We already agreed to include a similar disclaimer to one you suggest, dry.

I have included the players listed on the WTA/ATP site - I think they use the top 100. I did it mostly because of my pet peeve, which is pronunciation, and I will include the nicknames for them that I know of. It's up to our members to use them or not.

Do you really know the correct pronunciation for all of them?

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Do you really know the correct pronunciation for all of them?

I'm doing lots of research. That's why it's taking a week

I'm learning a lot of Czech and Slovak.

Two words: Kveta Peschkeová

oploskoffie
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Could you guys be any more inclusive?? :lovestruck:

We could add Flimsay Blohan to the list, but she doesn't play on the WTA tour...

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM

I still hate her guts for getting married and bailing on her maiden name--Hrdlickova... Sexiest name in the history of the sport, in my opinion. ;)

Dry

suliso
05-15-2007, 10:54 AM

I see. How are you going to write down the pronunciation? For example, Dominika Cibulkova - I know for sure how to pronounce it, but English doesn't really use such a sound...

catz33
05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
"These are nicknames commonly (that would rule out some that are really out there) used on TAT, but out of respect for a rapidly growing membership and less frequent visitors, let's try to keep nickname use and the creation of new nicknames to a minimum."

I don't understand how a fun conversation between posters all connecting together and coming up with a creative nickname is a bad thing or disrespectful. Should creativity have a limit on it just because people have yet to join or become active. Sharing the story of how Dlouhy became Bleep! is how conversations start. And will hopefully entice people to participate in some of the games to start to feel comfortable in the forum.

A disclaimer for a nickname?

Who would you consider a "less frequent visitor"?

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I see. How are you going to write down the pronunciation? For example, Dominika Cibulkova - I know for sure how to pronounce it, but English doesn't really use such a sound...

In a confusing combination of "spell it like it sounds" and actual phonetic symbols

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM

I don't understand how a fun conversation between posters all connecting together and coming up with a creative nickname is a bad thing or disrespectful. Should creativity have a limit on it just because people have yet to join or become active. Sharing the story of how Dlouhy became Bleep! is how conversations start. And will hopefully entice people to participate in some of the games to start to feel comfortable in the forum.

yeah, the disclaimer will say something about respecting other members, etc. But we can't really ask people to keep nickname use to a minimum.

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Actually, "Bleep" is arguably the best nickname on this board! An ideal way for a nickname to come about. It was brilliance!

Less frequent visitors are folks who check in a few times a week or even less. I don't want to name names, but there are several that come to mind.

I think M8 said they already have some language... I THINK the purpose of the "disclaimer" (I don't like the word, either, but I can't think of an alternative) is just to make sure creating nicknames isn't a daily thing. So you can disregard the language I posted.

Dry

Jay
05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Can someone tell me the story behind the nickname "Bleep"?
I know who it's referring to, but I don't remember the story behind it.

anywho..

I'll just go out and say it. I don't really care for the part of the disclaimer that says "keep nickname creation/use at a minimum" because, to me, that could make people feel that they shouldn't create a new nickname because, say, someone already did it that day already.

I do like the sticky,though, mmmm8. I like the fact that you're also putting in how to pronounce their names right. :D

Kirkus
05-15-2007, 11:42 AM
That line isn't going to be in the "Disclaimer", Jessie.

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
That line isn't going to be in the "Disclaimer", Jessie.

The idea of use, creation or both? I don't have a problem with use; shouldn't have put that there. It's the out-of-control creation that scares me a bit.

Dry

mrjiggyfly2
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Can someone tell me the story behind the nickname "Bleep"?
I know who it's referring to, but I don't remember the story behind it.

anywho..

I'll just go out and say it. I don't really care for the part of the disclaimer that says "keep nickname creation/use at a minimum" because, to me, that could make people feel that they shouldn't create a new nickname because, say, someone already did it that day already.

I do like the sticky,though, mmmm8. I like the fact that you're also putting in how to pronounce their names right. :D

Jessie,
In my first TAT suicide pool which was last year's FO, I chose Acasuso to beat a man named Lukas Dlouhy. No brainer...right? Wrong!! Acasuso was up a set and at least one break in the second set against Dlouhy. And then the meltdown started. Dlouhy came back to take the second set and rolled through sets three and four. I was bitter and began referring to him as Lukas Bleeping (or Bleepin'--both have been used) Dlouhy on this board. I've been semi obsessed with his mediocrity ever since. 4m shortened the nickname to Bleep to ease typing time.

Jillz
05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Hah! I'm one of those lurkers that only read to the threads every few days/weeks and I do come across nicknames sometimes that I am not familiar with. I mean things like Masha, Gonzo, Rafa, Fed, Maid Marion is fine cause it is still easy to make out which players are being referred to.

However, there are some which makes me feel like :confused: .

So I do think a sticky with the nicknames would be good! Kudos to the admin! :banana:

Perhaps another suggestion would be to have a thread which would explain how the less obvious nicknames came about? In that way, new members/infrequent members can read about it and may even adopt it after knowing how it comes about.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dryrunguy
05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Hah! I'm one of those lurkers that only read to the threads every few days/weeks and I do come across nicknames sometimes that I am not familiar with. I mean things like Masha, Gonzo, Rafa, Fed, Maid Marion is fine cause it is still easy to make out which players are being referred to.

So I do think a sticky with the nicknames would be good! Kudos to the admin! :banana:

Perhaps another suggestion would be to have a thread which would explain how the less obvious nicknames came about? In that way, new members/infrequent members can read about it and may even adopt it after knowing how it comes about.

Just my 2 cents worth...

What a phenomenal suggestion! That would be fantastic reading!

Dry

Jay
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
What a phenomenal suggestion! That would be fantastic reading!

Dry

oui.

that's french for yes.

shtexas
05-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Just my 2 cents worth...

Great idea! Terrific post!

Ready for the suicide pools Jillz?

Kirkus
05-15-2007, 01:31 PM
With ideas like that, you need to stop lurking so much and chime in more!!

Jillz
05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Great idea! Terrific post!

Ready for the suicide pools Jillz?

Haha... thanks all! :) Yeah... I'll try to come in more often cause I really like it here...

I wish I could take part in the FO suicide pools... but I'll be on a weeklong holiday in UK and Spain for the first week of the FO. :( Not sure if I'll be able to have internet access... I'll see how it goes...

Ti-Amie
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
We could add Flimsay Blohan to the list, but she doesn't play on the WTA tour...

Wait! She's not Hohan anymore? :pissedoff:

As for Bleep I think a few of you got really really upset with his habit of screwing up your pools. So upset in fact that a particular four letter word was always in front of his name. To avoid any issues he became Bleep.

As for RRH...:D

mmmm8
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Just my 2 cents worth...

First of all, thanks for chiming in!

And that is a great suggestion. I was actually thinking of footnoting the less obvious nicknames, but that might get too complicated. I'll figure out how to format it so that it's both readable and fully informative.

Poor you, going on vacation and all. I suggest you cancel it for the SP ;)