PDA

View Full Version : Current server problems

Kirkus
05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Right off the bat -- my apologies for the troubles this day.

I requested an upgrade from our webhost to give us more power to accomodate the increase in traffic I expect us to have during the French Open and Wimbledon. I was told that there would be about a :15 window of downtime. What I wasn't told is that because TAT operates out of what's called a subdirectory ("forum.talkabouttennis.com" rather than "www.talkabouttennis.com/forum") that would create problems that I'd have to fix.

In short, if you were going to "forum.talkabouttennis.com" you were going to an old version of TAT. If you were going to "www.talkabouttennis.com/forum" you were going to the new version of TAT.

For most of the day we had different members posting on BOTH versions. I now have it set up so if you type in (or your bookmark leads to) forum.talkabouttennis.com you'll automatically be redirected away from the old version of TAT to the new (correct) version of TAT.

I know that some of you are having trouble with images. If you would be kind enough to clear your cache and try TAT again that may fix the image problem. If you still have trouble with all the images loading, please drop me a quick post here.

I'll be back at it on Saturday to try and fix the image issue and get us back where we should be. It may take me the course of several days. But for now things are pretty stable.

Again, I'm sincerely sorry for the problems we encountered today.

dryrunguy
05-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually, I have it on good authority, kirkus, that Klara Koukalova Zakopalova has been hacking into TAT's server all day to avoid the electronic lashing she's going to get from me and Aedra if she fails to take the title in Prague. ;) But you showed her, kirkus! Czechmate!

Seriously, thanks for your hard work today. I'm sure it wasn't fun.

Dry

hurricanejeanne
05-11-2007, 08:22 PM
This week I realized how bad my addiction to these message boards is. :D

At least TAT is stablized and from the view I have looks pretty normal. The only weird thing I've noticed is that my time is an hour behind. At the bottom of my pages where it states the time it says:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.

But yet, in my user CP I have it set at EST -5 from GMT. I also noticed this with the TATChat enter/leave times earlier this afternoon.

The times were fine yesterday and this morning. Just though I'd mention it in case it's related to the server issue.

But nevertheless, Kirkus, thanks for all the hard work and answering all our (and my) questions. :) You're doing a fantastic job! ;)

shtexas
05-11-2007, 08:24 PM
The time is an hour off for everyone, I think. My profile is set to central time but it says its an hour earlier than it is.

dryrunguy
This week I realized how bad my addiction to these message boards is. :D

At least TAT is stablized and from the view I have looks pretty normal. The only weird thing I've noticed is that my time is an hour behind. At the bottom of my pages where it states the time it says:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.

But yet, in my user CP I have it set at EST -5 from GMT. I also noticed this with the TATChat enter/leave times earlier this afternoon.

The times were fine yesterday and this morning. Just though I'd mention it in case it's related to the server issue.

But nevertheless, Kirkus, thanks for all the hard work and answering all our (and my) questions. :) You're doing a fantastic job! ;)

I think we should start a support group. This really canNOT be healthy.

Dry

Moose
Actually, I have it on good authority, kirkus, that Klara Koukalova Zakopalova has been hacking into TAT's server all day to avoid the electronic lashing she's going to get from me and Aedra if she fails to take the title in Prague. ;) But you showed her, kirkus! Czechmate!

Dry

dang, Dry...your "k" key has to be wondering why she's the most popular girl at the dance tonight

dryrunguy
05-11-2007, 08:28 PM
dang, Dry...your "k" key has to be wondering why she's the most popular girl at the dance tonight

I kan't help it. I'm overdue for a prediktion kontest viktory.

Dry

hurricanejeanne
05-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I think we should start a support group. This really canNOT be healthy.

Dry

Hi, my name is Jeanne, and I have a mini heartattack whenever I can't get into TAT or WTAWorld. :D ;)

mmmm8
05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi, my name is Jeanne, and I have a mini heartattack whenever I can't get into TAT or WTAWorld. :D ;)

We'll keep working to help you beat that part ;)

Jay
05-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I concur with what everyone else has already said.

Hope you get the kinks out, Kirkus.
We appreciate the hard work.:)

Kirkus
05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
UPDATE:

First of all let me say that I've done research and learned that any addiction to TAT is a healthy thing and all are encouraged to spend as much time here as possible.

I think we're okay now.

Some of you (mostly Internet Explorer users) might still be having issues with all of the images not loading. I've tested this on 4 different computers using 4 different operating systems and for most of you, clearing your cache of temporary internet files (Tools/Internet Options) will fix the problem.

There's a span of between 6 and 12 hours worth of posts/PMs from yesterday that are gone and I can't get them back. From last night forward, however, I'm fairly confident that we're good to go.

I'm going to leave the red banner at the top of the pages throughout the weekend as an alert to members who don't know what's been happening.

Kirkus
05-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I forgot to mention that the server time is also off by what looks like an hour. I'll be fixing that in the coming days. If you don't want to wait you can just select a time zone in your User CP/Options that makes your time-stamp on TAT correct. (But once I get it fixed you'll have to change it again.)

hurricanejeanne
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
UPDATE:

First of all let me say that I've done research and learned that any addiction to TAT is a healthy thing and all are encouraged to spend as much time here as possible.

I think we're okay now.

Some of you (mostly Internet Explorer users) might still be having issues with all of the images not loading. I've tested this on 4 different computers using 4 different operating systems and for most of you, clearing your cache of temporary internet files (Tools/Internet Options) will fix the problem.

There's a span of between 6 and 12 hours worth of posts/PMs from yesterday that are gone and I can't get them back. From last night forward, however, I'm fairly confident that we're good to go.

I'm going to leave the red banner at the top of the pages throughout the weekend as an alert to members who don't know what's been happening.

Okay, I cleared my cache, and the only pictures I'm still not seeing are profile pictures. But other than that everything seems to be okay. And yeah, I'm on IE.

mmmm8
05-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I didn't even think of profile photos. Can't see them either. In Firefox or IE

Kirkus
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Good catch you guys!

Fixed.