PDA

View Full Version : Ask questions here about the suicide pool

Kirkus
05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
If you have questions about the 2007 French Open Suicide Pool ask them in this thread and an answer will be posted as soon as possible.

RedClaw
05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey,
I'm 100% new around here, from TennisWorld, and this feels like an extremely silly question, but I understand quite well the rules of the suicide pool, but I'm unsure of the technical side of it all?
Will there eventually be a thread here to post our picks?

Thanks!

morct
05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey,
I'm 100% new around here, from TennisWorld, and this feels like an extremely silly question, but I understand quite well the rules of the suicide pool, but I'm unsure of the technical side of it all?

Thanks!

Absolutely! A new thread for each day's picks.

Good Luck!

shtexas
05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey,

Thanks!

Not silly at all. Once the order of play is up for day 1, there will be threads for your picks. They will be titled something like "Day 1 Mens RG Suicide Pool Picks" or "Day 1 RG Womens Suicide Pool Picks".

Because of the Sunday start, and the fact there are so few matches on Sunday, you can pick a match for Sunday or wait for Monday's order of play.

mrjiggyfly2
05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
bump

Moose
05-16-2007, 05:03 PM
here...let's try something new. I'll post the answer, and someone can post the question.

The answer is Tatiana Golovin and Kristof Vliegen.

mmmm8
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
here...let's try something new. I'll post the answer, and someone can post the question.

The answer is Tatiana Golovin and Kristof Vliegen.

Who are "greeters at the doors to the Loser's Lounge?"

RedClaw
05-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks a bundle for the answers, guys... I'll definitely poke around a bit more, I'm excited to try the suicide pool.

mrjiggyfly2
05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks a bundle for the answers, guys... I'll definitely poke around a bit more, I'm excited to try the suicide pool.

I remember looking forward to my first suicide pool at least year's French . And then Lukas Dlouhy beat Acasuso. :freekingout: :pissedoff: :wall:

RedClaw
05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Don't say that, jiggy.
You're making me sad, I don't want to go out in the first round!

I'm just thinking away.. Oh man, I'll probably waste half of Friday planning pool picks.

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Don't say that, jiggy.

I'm just thinking away.. Oh man, I'll probably waste half of Friday planning pool picks.

LOL! Join the club, RC! I usually go out early in both draws and end up sweeping the floor in the Loser's Lounge.

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't say that, jiggy.

That's the attitude.

Now, you've learned about Kristof Vliegen, but I don't think anyone mentioned the other most important unspoken rule of the SPs. Never, ever, under any circumstances, pick from a match involving a local qualifier or Wildcard!

Not only will you be stuck doing this: :wall:, there won't even be a picture of them around in the Loser's Lounge for you to put up on a dartboard.

Moose
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
well, at least this time around we don't have Tatiana, Peng or Fujiwara, who have all bruied us in the past (Tati remains the #1 killer in the game).

sadly, there's still Kris Vliegen to dash our dreams!

dryrunguy
05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I remember looking forward to my first suicide pool at least year's French . And then Lukas Dlouhy beat Acasuso. :freekingout: :pissedoff: :wall:

And you're one match away from getting to pick against him for a second time, Jiggy! You must be really excited!

Dry

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Not trying to be crazy-pushy-dictatorial-TAT-founder-guy, but...

...we should try and keep this thread open for SP Questions only. ;)

I'm just sayin'.

patrick
05-24-2007, 03:23 PM
If you have questions about the 2007 French Open Suicide Pool ask them in this thread and an answer will be posted as soon as possible.

How are points scored in the suicide pool?

Jay
05-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Not that you asked me, but as far as I know, there are no points scored. Either you win the whole thing, or you don't.
The person who makes it the farthest without losing, wins. Even if you don't beat the draw, if i'm not mistaken, you can still win as long as you're the only person left alive in the suicide pool. I hope that was helpful, if not, my apologies.

Jay
05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
More info on the suicide pool can be found here: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005

dryrunguy
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Welcome, Patrick! If you're talking about the rankings I just posted, points are awarded per day for each successful pick. You get 200 points for beating the draw. I'll be posting the points per day for the French Open in the near future.

But it in the actual pool, once you have a pick that loses, you're on to the infamous Loser's Lounge. But you do get points for correct picks for every day until you're out of each pool. Those are just for our ranking purposes, which we just do for fun.

I apologize for any confusion.

Good luck!

Dry

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Not that you asked me, but as far as I know, there are no points scored. Either you win the whole thing, or you don't.
The person who makes it the farthest without losing, wins. Even if you don't beat the draw, if i'm not mistaken, you can still win as long as you're the only person left alive in the suicide pool. I hope that was helpful, if not, my apologies.

That's absolutely right, Jessie. There are no points, Patrick. You simply pick one player per side (men's and women's) from each day's order of play (but once you pick a player you can't pick them again). If your player wins their match that day, you move on and pick again the following day. If your player loses, you lose.

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
To sum up, because there are conflicting answers, as Dry said, you only get points for ranking purposes.

In terms of the actual contest your result is really given by the day you and others drop out of competition and there are no points

gerrynjapan
05-24-2007, 05:34 PM
at the risk of appearing overly fanatical, has there ever been any thought of opening up a pool for doubles?

mrjiggyfly2
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
at the risk of appearing overly fanatical, has there ever been any thought of opening up a pool for doubles?

gerry,
i've concluded that you are fanatical! :laugh:
i can only speak for myself in saying that i've not thought about the doubles.

good luck and welcome!!

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Hey gerry!

As far as I know a doubles suicide pool has never been discussed. But it's an interesting idea.

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Hey, gerry, and welcome!

I'm a doubles fan myself, and while I think it'd be a fun lottery contest, I think the main reason not to run it at present is that we're basically too short on human resources.

gerrynjapan
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
just thought i'd throw the idea out and see where it goes. i figure, the more ways to crash out the better!:shocked:

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 05:44 PM
just thought i'd throw the idea out and see where it goes. i figure, the more ways to crash out the better!:shocked:

LOL!

Your suggestion hasn't gone unnoticed.

Moose
05-24-2007, 06:17 PM

don't worry Jerry. You'll have more than sufficient ways to crash out with the seperate mens and ladies' games.

And in fact, we once had a Consolation Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool just for one of our members, who lost both his mens and womens pick on Day 1...and you know what? His first mixed doubles pick lost the first day of play as well.
But do us a favor...if you see Moose around here, don't remind him about it. It is one of many bad bad Suicide Pool memories for him.

dryrunguy
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
don't worry Jerry. You'll have more than sufficient ways to crash out with the seperate mens and ladies' games.

And in fact, we once had a Consolation Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool just for one of our members, who lost both his mens and womens pick on Day 1...and you know what? His first mixed doubles pick lost the first day of play as well.
But do us a favor...if you see Moose around here, don't remind him about it. It is one of many bad bad Suicide Pool memories for him.

OUCH!

Dry

la boheme
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I've never participated in one of these contests before. Any recommendations for learning how to do this? Is there info on this site I can read? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

mrjiggyfly2
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
hi la boheme--check out this link

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005

dryrunguy
05-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I've never participated in one of these contests before. Any recommendations for learning how to do this? Is there info on this site I can read? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Yup! Check out Mr. Jiggy's link, and then just follow the lead! You'll catch on in no time!

Welcome!

Dry

shtexas
05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
hi la boheme--check out this link

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005

la boheme - And if you want to see it in action, check out this link with old suicide pools. For example, go into the Australian Open 2007 section and you will see the daily picks threads, and the picks and results threads.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Jack
05-24-2007, 09:19 PM

My advice? Wait until I post my pick and then pick someone different. It should work like a charm.

I saw the schedule for the French Open matches, but is there a schedule for SP picks? Specifically, I was wondering about the Men's QF - there are two matches scheduled for Tuesday 6/5, and two matches for Wednesday 6/6. Will we be picking those separately or together?

<and please spare me any cracks at why I'm wondering about the QF when I usually can't navigate out of the 1R...>

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 09:24 PM
My advice? Wait until I post my pick and then pick someone different. It should work like a charm.

I saw the schedule for the French Open matches, but is there a schedule for SP picks? Specifically, I was wondering about the Men's QF - there are two matches scheduled for Tuesday 6/5, and two matches for Wednesday 6/6. Will we be picking those separately or together?

<and please spare me any cracks at why I'm wondering about the QF when I usually can't navigate out of the 1R...>

All picks are made from the daily order of play, NOT the draw. As soon as the order of play is released by the tournament it will be copied as a thread here on TAT. "Men's Day 1 pick", "Women's Day 1 pick", "Men's Day 2 pick", etc. The players listed at the top of each thread are the ONLY players you can choose from for that day. With the exception of Day 1. You can make your Day 1 pick from Sunday's order of play OR you can wait until Monday's order of play. But from that point on all picks will be made from each day's individual order of play.

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
It's a real good idea to look at the link shtexas posted a few posts back. Go into the Suicide Pool archives and see how the contest is run.

Jack
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
All picks are made from the daily order of play, NOT the draw. As soon as the order of play is released by the tournament it will be copied as a thread here on TAT. "Men's Day 1 pick", "Women's Day 1 pick", "Men's Day 2 pick", etc. The players listed at the top of each thread are the ONLY players you can choose from for that day. With the exception of Day 1. You can make your Day 1 pick from Sunday's order of play OR you can wait until Monday's order of play. But from that point on all picks will be made from each day's individual order of play.

So if I've got it right, for the men:
DAY 10 - 2 QFs
DAY 11 - 2 QFs
DAY 12 - no matches
DAY 13 - 2 SFs
DAY 14 - no matches
DAY 15 - 1 F

So to beat the draw on the men's side, you would basically need to pick both losing semifinalists on Day 10 & Day 11, the finalist on Day 13, and the winner on Day 15?

OUCH!

mmmm8
05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
DAY 10 - 2 QFs
DAY 11 - 2 QFs
DAY 12 - no matches
DAY 13 - 2 SFs
DAY 14 - no matches
DAY 15 - 1 F

So to beat the draw on the men's side, you would basically need to pick both losing semifinalists on Day 10 & Day 11, the finalist on Day 13, and the winner on Day 15?

OUCH!

Yup! Thatīs why when I tied for the win last year, we only made it through Day 9

Kirkus
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
DAY 10 - 2 QFs
DAY 11 - 2 QFs
DAY 12 - no matches
DAY 13 - 2 SFs
DAY 14 - no matches
DAY 15 - 1 F

OUCH!

Ouch, indeed!
And that's assuming you've made it to Day 10! ;)

Jack
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Ouch, indeed!
And that's assuming you've made it to Day 10! ;)

Yeah. Who are we kidding? :p

ptmcmahon
05-25-2007, 05:05 AM

OUCH!

My favorite part is once we get down to 10-20 people on each side and there's only a few rounds left and then we can figure out who still has enough people left to beat the draw, and who's dead in the water...and how soon.

tennis_star
05-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you have to pick for Sunday's games or can you just start putting down your pick for Monday's matches? or is this a dumb question...:confused:

mmmm8
05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Do you have to pick for Sunday's games or can you just start putting down your pick for Monday's matches? or is this a dumb questions...:confused:

Welcome to TAT!

There are no stupid questions (in this thread anyway)

You don't have to pick from Sunday matches. You will pick from EITHER Sunday OR Monday matches. (You can also pick, say, a Sunday women's match and a Monday men's match or vice versa)

See this for a clearer explanation of the Sunday start rules:
http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6135

tennis_star
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks!

Good news...looks like I can start panicking on Sunday night instead of Saturday night!

tinamarie
05-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi,
first of all I'd like to say that I think this suicide pool is an awesome idea and it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to participate, however I'm leaving tomorrow for Paris and wont able to go online until Thursday. Is there a possibility I can particpate anyway? Like emailing my picks for round 1, Tues-Thurs and just hope the later wont be loosing their opening round?however, in case this would cause a lot of work for you, I wait for the wimbledon SP. Thanks anyways.

GVGirl
05-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi,
first of all I'd like to say that I think this suicide pool is an awesome idea and it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to participate, however I'm leaving tomorrow for Paris and wont able to go online until Thursday. Is there a possibility I can particpate anyway? Like emailing my picks for round 1, Tues-Thurs and just hope the later wont be loosing their opening round?however, in case this would cause a lot of work for you, I wait for the wimbledon SP. Thanks anyways.

TinaMarie
I'll let Moose answer...

Btw, welcome to TAT. I'm so jealous that you are going to Paris! Enjoy! Are you going to go to that TW function, if they have it?

Moose
05-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi,

Tina:
We try to stay away from a batched email with a number of days picks. We had around 200 players for the Aussie and while we're glad to have all the participation, it makes it difficult for us when we have to accomodate individual requests outside of the general rules of the game. You can send picks by email to our Yahoo address, if you can get access to email. I hope you understand.

We'd love to have you join us for Wimbledon if you can't participate in the French...don't worry, we'll all still be here.

And please feel free to post in our other tennis and non-tennis sections anytime. We love having new members join us, nad participate in the Board.

tinamarie
05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
well, I assumed it would be difficult, but since I like the idea of the SP so much I thought I'd give it a try.
But thanks for your quick answer and I'm looking forward to the Wimbledon SP then. And of course: Good luck to all of you!!

@ GVGirl: I am incredily excited to go to Paris. It' s the first time I get to see pro tennis matches live. we have tickets for the Court Philipp Chatrier, so we'll probably see all the top seeds. oh and I'm sorry, but I dont know what a TW function is...But if you tell me, I'll let you wether there was one next week:) I hope you'll enjoy RG.

GVGirl
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
TinaMarie- That's great about attending the French Open. I just sent you a PM.

Although you can't do the SP this time, please take a look around TAT. We hope that you will be a frequent visitor in addition to playing our suicide pools.

servesmasher
05-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I found out about this site from Peter Bodo's Tennisworld blog. He said something about indicating if you are a TW reader or something like that. Is this something additional that we have to sign up for? Or how do people know that I read Tennisworld (as he said in his blog to indicate) and what does he really mean? I am sort of lost.

Thanks for helping.

Alana;)

mmmm8
05-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I found out about this site from Peter Bodo's Tennisworld blog. He said something about indicating if you are a TW reader or something like that. Is this something additional that we have to sign up for? Or how do people know that I read Tennisworld (as he said in his blog to indicate) and what does he really mean? I am sort of lost.

Thanks for helping.

Alana;)

Hi, Alana, Smasher of Serve!

Welcome to TAT!

Basically, when you make your picks for Day 1, put "TW" after the pick (or anywhere in your post) and, if you post on TW under a name other than Servesmasher, put that as well. Do it for both men's and women's picks. And you're entered.

Let me know if it's still unclear, and I'll send you a PM with (an attempt at) a better explanation

servesmasher
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi, Alana, Smasher of Serve!

Welcome to TAT!

Basically, when you make your picks for Day 1, put "TW" after the pick (or anywhere in your post) and, if you post on TW under a name other than Servesmasher, put that as well. Do it for both men's and women's picks. And you're entered.

Let me know if it's still unclear, and I'll send you a PM with (an attempt at) a better explanation

This made it clearer, thanks!;) :)

la boheme
05-27-2007, 07:18 AM
For those of us picking a Monday choice, I assume the draw that's posted will include those matches that were rained out on Sunday. Is that right? If so, then we get another chance to pick from the Sunday draw for those matches that didn't start. When will we know this?

GVGirl
05-27-2007, 07:48 AM
For those of us picking a Monday choice, I assume the draw that's posted will include those matches that were rained out on Sunday. Is that right? If so, then we get another chance to pick from the Sunday draw for those matches that didn't start. When will we know this?

I do not think that you'll be able to choose from matches that were to be played today for day1A as it would not be fair to those who picked from today's matches. I'm sure that one of our administrators of the contest will let us know.

shtexas
05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I do not think that you'll be able to choose from matches that were to be played today for day1A as it would not be fair to those who picked from today's matches. I'm sure that one of our administrators of the contest will let us know.

That is the way we've done it in the past.

According to the site, they may be calling play by 5:00 PM Paris time.

Once we get the order of play for Monday, we'll get them up in the Day 1(a) threads.

SmallSlice
05-27-2007, 01:59 PM
I have been in the past few suicide pools, and I'm having trouble with this one. I have 2 questions:
1. I had a 'user name' of CLPeck, but my 'screen name' was SmallSlice. My results in other pools were under SmallSlice, but I just posted my womens pick and it shows up under CLPeck. I'd like it to show up under SmallSlice, so I can keep my (admittedly low) ranking for the year. How do I do that?
2. I used to get my picture to show when I posted, but it doesn't show now.

Have I lost my touch at using this?
thanks

Kirkus
05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I have been in the past few suicide pools, and I'm having trouble with this one. I have 2 questions:
1. I had a 'user name' of CLPeck, but my 'screen name' was SmallSlice. My results in other pools were under SmallSlice, but I just posted my womens pick and it shows up under CLPeck. I'd like it to show up under SmallSlice, so I can keep my (admittedly low) ranking for the year. How do I do that?

thanks

Hi CLPeck/SmallSlice,

Give me a few minutes to look into it.

Kirkus
05-27-2007, 02:34 PM

thanks

I've sent you an email explaining what's going on and how to fix it. For others who are curious...

On our new forum software, you can no longer have a "Login" name and separate "Display" name. They are now one and the same. I can make the change for you, but it will change your login name. So you need to know that I'm going to do it otherwise you won't be able to login.

As for the Avatar... our new forum allows you to have an Avatar picture (which is displayed with each of your posts) and a separate Profile picture which is only displayed on your profile page. Make sure you upload an Avatar picture to display with your posts.

Drop-shot
05-28-2007, 07:22 AM
the different rounds are usually played during two days, do we have to make two picks, one for each day of the same round?
with all the rain delays i suppose that the next pick for those who pass the first round will be at best for wednesday, right?

shtexas
05-28-2007, 07:24 AM
the different rounds are usually played during two days, do we have to make two picks, one for each day of the same round?
with all the rain delays i suppose that the next pick for those who pass the first round will be at best for wednesday, right?

You make two picks per round.

The rain is messing with us. We have to wait and see what matches they get in and what the schedule looks like tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

suliso
05-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Next pick almost certainly will be for tuesday (remaining 1st round matches)

la boheme
05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I guess now that the picks are in for Sunday and Monday, we just wait out the rain and see how we do. How do we keep track of who's winning?

shtexas
05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I guess now that the picks are in for Sunday and Monday, we just wait out the rain and see how we do. How do we keep track of who's winning?

I have just put up a mens picks and results thread. The womens thread will follow later.

They are playing again. Everyone stay tuned later when the Tuesday schedule goes up. If your Monday player never hits the court (neither of mine will), looks like you still will have to make a Tuesday pick.

morct
05-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks shtexas - that's a lot of work you just did.

Have some :cheese:. :D

ponchi101
05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm already out of the womens' SP, but one thing I am not that clear: do we pick a DAILY MATCH, or do we pick one MATCH PER ROUND? If it is one daily match we may end up picking as many as 13 matches if we survive to the finals.

shtexas
05-28-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm already out of the womens' SP, but one thing I am not that clear: do we pick a DAILY MATCH, or do we pick one MATCH PER ROUND? If it is one daily match we may end up picking as many as 13 matches if we survive to the finals.

It's two picks per round.

For the men at Roland Garros, you end up making 12 picks (only one semi and one final choice)

For the women, since the 4th round and quarters are not split into two days like the men, you make 10 picks if you make it to the end.

morct
05-28-2007, 08:53 AM

It's a daily match ponchi. That's what makes it so much fun! :cool:

ponchi101
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
It's a daily match ponchi. That's what makes it so much fun! :cool:
Thanks. Sorry to keep bugging you, but then: I picked Bremond on Sunday, she didn't play, and yesterday, with the new posting, I picked Dulko (yet to play). So my pick for Sunday never played on Sunday but lost on Monday, and my pick for monday has not played yet. Am I out, or still have hopes?

suliso
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks. Sorry to keep bugging you, but then: I picked Bremond on Sunday, she didn't play, and yesterday, with the new posting, I picked Dulko (yet to play). So my pick for Sunday never played on Sunday but lost on Monday, and my pick for monday has not played yet. Am I out, or still have hopes?

You are out. Actually you didn't need to pick for Monday if you had already picked for Sunday (it was a combined day).

Better luck in mens pool :cool:

Moose
05-28-2007, 09:46 AM

Ponchi:
we went with your Bremond pick. you asked in the 2nd thread to keep Bremond. Her loss knocked you out in the ladies game, but you are still alive in the mens game

ptmcmahon
05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Next pick almost certainly will be for tuesday (remaining 1st round matches)

Yup, the schedule's out and they have matches from the other half, so we're all going to have to make our Tuesday picks!

EDIT: Looks like I didn't look hard enough, and we just have new men's matches...well I knew there was SOMETHING new.

I actually was lucky enough to get one of my matches in! I've only made it past day two with the women once, let's see if i can do it again.

ptenisnet
05-28-2007, 07:05 PM
So is it too late to sign up or, really, post first round picks?
thanks
-ptenisnet

shtexas
05-28-2007, 07:09 PM
thanks
-ptenisnet

Unfortunately ptenisnet, yes. We needed a Sunday or Monday pick from everyone, and play did commence, even if there was a lot of rain.

But, Wimbledon is just around the corner. We hope you hang around. Check out the threads. Stay a while.

dryrunguy
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
thanks
-ptenisnet

I'm afraid it is.... But you're certainly welcome to join us for the Wimbledon pool, which is only a few weeks away!

Meanwhile, feel free to mill around, read some threads, and get involved! I think you'll be pleased with what you find.

And then there's always the arcade... My second addiction. :cool:

Dry

ptenisnet
05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Understood. Thanks guys.

eunice
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm new to the SP as well and have a few questions:
What time do you typically post the daily pick thread? (I know the rain is making a little more difficult this year).
I missed the tuesday men's pick - am I out of the men's SP?

Thanks!

Moose
05-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm new to the SP as well and have a few questions:
What time do you typically post the daily pick thread? (I know the rain is making a little more difficult this year).
I missed the tuesday men's pick - am I out of the men's SP?

Thanks!

Eunice:
We post the thread as soon as possible after the organizers release the order of play. It should be up in the next hour or so.

Sadly, yes, if you miss making a pick, you're eliminated from the mens game. But you are still alive in the womens game.

JTContinental
05-29-2007, 12:54 PM
A quick question:

Do we not need to make a pick for the 1st round of the bottom half of the women's draw?

Moose
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
A quick question:

Do we not need to make a pick for the 1st round of the bottom half of the women's draw?

JT:
Because of the rain carryovers, and since people still have 1st round matches that were not played, we decided it would be unfair to everyone if we included those remaining 1st rounders. Either some people would be picking a 2nd match from that half, or other people would get 32 matches to choose from for tomorrow.

So we decided the fairest approach would be to proceed without another 1st round match. That way, everyone is even...1 1st round match selected.

JTContinental
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Got it...and since my first round pick panned out, it works for me. :cheesy:

Thanks, Moose!

catz33
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
JT:
Because of the rain carryovers, and since people still have 1st round matches that were not played, we decided it would be unfair to everyone if we included those remaining 1st rounders. Either some people would be picking a 2nd match from that half, or other people would get 32 matches to choose from for tomorrow.

So we decided the fairest approach would be to proceed without another 1st round match. That way, everyone is even...1 1st round match selected.

Isn't that what we just did on the men's side though? No one can pick the same player twice anyway but that doesn't mean they can't choose from the rest of the draw.

Moose
05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Isn't that what we just did on the men's side though? No one can pick the same player twice anyway but that doesn't mean they can't choose from the rest of the draw.

They only had first round matches for the men, Catz.

They have first and second round in the Womens draw for tomorrow. Some people would end up having picked two matches from the same half of the draw, while others would have a 1st and a 2nd round pick from the same half of the draw.

doing it this way, everyone is on a level playing field. We all had one first round pick, and now start the second round.

catz33
05-29-2007, 01:27 PM
They only had first round matches for the men, Catz.

They have first and second round in the Womens draw for tomorrow. Some people would end up having picked two matches from the same half of the draw, while others would have a 1st and a 2nd round pick from the same half of the draw.

doing it this way, everyone is on a level playing field. We all had one first round pick, and now start the second round.

Okey Dokey! Back to the drawing board:tease:

ponchi101
05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I picked one player (Monaco) for Monday 28th, but he never played that day. Monaco was not on the list for Tuesday, so I had to pick Lleyton for that day (he did play).
Does that mean I can no longer use Monaco either?

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I picked one player (Monaco) for Monday 28th, but he never played that day. Monaco was not on the list for Tuesday, so I had to pick Lleyton for that day (he did play).
Does that mean I can no longer use Monaco either?

That's correct. If either of them had lost (no matter what day they actually played), you'd have been eliminated. It's whatever day your pick was initially scheduled for that matters.

Since both Monaco and Hewitt won, you're through to day 3 and need to pick from the matches listed in the "Day 3" thread and you cannot use either Monaco or Hewitt again

GSte!
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
A question about the women-are we not picking a 1st round winner from the bottom half of the women's draw?

It looks like for day 3 we're only choosing rd2 winners...

mmmm8
05-29-2007, 08:51 PM
A question about the women-are we not picking a 1st round winner from the bottom half of the women's draw?

Right. See the first post of the Day 3 Picks thread or earlier in this thread as to the reasoning.

shtexas
05-29-2007, 08:53 PM

The rain forced the issue. So, everyone got away with only one first round pick this year. But, for some of us, that pick was from the bottom half of the draw (like me, who chose Dulko on Monday).

GSte!
05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys. The rain is messing everything up!

Kirkus
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
The rain is definitely making it more difficult for Moose and shtexas to manage this SP. It's unfortunate that the rain caused trouble from day one before our newer players had a chance to find a rhythm and get a feel for how it works.

It's really quite simple... unless it rains on days 1 and 2 at Roland Garros. :D

Moose
05-30-2007, 05:36 AM
this is a situation that would only happen during the French.

With the Sunday start of 12 matches, and the scheduling of 32 on Monday, we were in a situation where many people's first day pick were from opposite halves of the draw. They pulled a number of Monday matches off the schedule for Tuesday because of the rain delay.

If it were any other Slam, we would have been able to work around the rain differently. But since the French had both halves scheduled for first round action on Monday, and didn't reschedule those matches for Tuesday, it left us in a difficult position.

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Sheeze...damn schedulers not thinking about us suicide poolers! What were they thinking? ;)

dryrunguy
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Oops, wrong thread. My apologies!

Dry

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
This is more of a forums question. I remember before when you clicked on the subject of the message it automatically took you to the first page with new posts...is this still possible to do? Is it a setting I have to go fix, or a forum feature?

mmmm8
05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
This is more of a forums question. I remember before when you clicked on the subject of the message it automatically took you to the first page with new posts...is this still possible to do? Is it a setting I have to go fix, or a forum feature?

PT...,
clicking on the thread title takes you to the first page of the thread.
clicking on the green arrow takes you to the last post.
You can also pick a specific page of the thread (but not from the recent posts bar)

I don't think it's possible to change any of those options.

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Yup...knew that. I just seem to remember that before clicking the title would bring you to the first of your unread replies in a thread...was great for keeping up with the threads and not having to randomly go through pages to see where you left off.

nguyen
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi pt,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but after clicking on a thread, there is an option on the left titled "View First Unread." I use this option all of the time on all forums, not only this one.

It's very handy for these long threads.

mmmm8
05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi pt,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but after clicking on a thread, there is an option on the left titled "View First Unread." I use this option all of the time on all forums, not only this one.

It's very handy for these long threads.

Wow, and now I feel like an idiot. I should have known that! :o

Aren't you guys happy you're in such able hands? :)

Thanks, Nguyen

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. That's exactly what I wanted, just in a different place.

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh...even better! In the list of subjects you can just click on the "green arrow" to the left of the subject name and do the same...yay!

mmmm8
05-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh...even better! In the list of subjects you can just click on the "green arrow" to the left of the subject name and do the same...yay!

Not quite. That takes you to the last post. Unless I'm missing something

ptmcmahon
05-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Worked when I tried it for the picks thread - brought me to first unead.

Also, if you bring mouse over it, that's what it says - first new post.

mmmm8
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Worked when I tried it for the picks thread - brought me to first unead.

Also, if you bring mouse over it, that's what it says - first new post.

Oh, you mean in the "new posts" menu? I was looking at the general board menu. Different green buttons

Kirkus
05-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I wasn't going to admit it, but since mmmm8 did, I also didn't know about the "first unread" link. LOL.

Doh dee doh...

nguyen
05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
lol. you're welcome. glad to make my first contribution to this place. :)