PDA

View Full Version : TAT Arcade?

Kirkus
04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm looking at the possibility of adding a game arcade to TAT to give our community something fun and different to do. This is a big step away from the normal "tennis forum", but I'm always looking at innovative ways to set TAT apart from the others.

At this point it's just an idea. It's a big install and I don't even know if we have the server resources to run the thing. I thought I'd get some feedback from our membership to see if this is worth looking into further. It might turn out that we don't have the necessary server resources to sustain it, but if the interest is there, I'll go for it and we'll just see what happens.

Here's a link to some games that would be available to us:

http://www.pnflashgames.com/module-pnfgdownload.phtml

morct
04-20-2007, 12:49 AM
is this an evil plot to make me even more addicted to TAT??

Love it! :yahoo:

Kirkus
04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
is this an evil plot to make me even more addicted to TAT??

Love it! :yahoo:

That's the 2nd time I've heard about addiction when discussing this. LOL.

nelslus
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm respectfully against this idea, Kirkus. Not rabidly so, mind you. I sure as heck won't be playing any of these game. I just don't see the point to adding on games- particularly those not tennis related. I don't believe in trying to be all things for all people- i.e., focus on what you do well, and leave it at that. I'd worry that this could draw folks who are not serious tennis fans- which, as much as we all may squabble at times, I think that we all can agree that the consistent posters are indeed serious tennis fans. I just don't think this site needs a lot of bells and whistles to keep it solid.

Foxykhat
04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I love this idea, I think it will give us TAT members something else today especially when the site is not JUMPING because there are not much tennis being played.

I understand Nelsus' concerns but maybe we can set it up so that only TAT Members have access. I don't know maybe it's the gamer in me talking.

Foxy

dryrunguy
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
If any of the games involve paszeks, I'm all for it. ;) You know, like when the paszeks pop up on the screen and you have to pound on them with your mouse to get points? And the one who pounds the most paszeks wins...

Just a thought...

Dry

Foxykhat
04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
If any of the games involve paszeks, I'm all for it. ;) You know, like when the paszeks pop up on the screen and you have to pound on them with your mouse to get points? And the one who pounds the most paszeks wins...

Just a thought...

Dry

ROFL Dry you are one sick puppy.

Foxy

bea26
04-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I vote yes, for tennis-related games. I agree that keeping things tennisy is a good idea (personally), but I disagree that the board is for the serious tennis fan only. Anyone with an interest in the game is welcome, right? Why not give the simpletons something colorful and noisy to play with. ;)

morct
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Just a thought...

Dry

We'll let you pick the sound effects for that one Dry. :p

Jay
04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
I voted yes. I agree with what Bea said; TAT isn't ONLY for serious tennis folk; i'm pretty sure there are people that come in and read stuff every once in a while who aren't tennis-obsessed like us.

hurricanejeanne
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't have a problem with the concept of the aracade as long as it's tennis related and doesn't harm the new popularity of mine (and Jessie's) beloved TATChat. ;)

But, yeah, I also agree with what Bea says about non-addicted tennis fans.

dryrunguy
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM
ROFL Dry you are one sick puppy.

Foxy

Woof!

Dry

dryrunguy
04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
We'll let you pick the sound effects for that one Dry. :p

What is the sound effect for dripping drool?

Dry

Kirkus
04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
What is the sound effect for dripping drool?

Dry

ssslurrrpfloooop.

Kirkus
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Just FYI... the games will NOT be tennis related. They'll be things like PacMan, Astroids, a few other games that Sebastien found for us early on like where a yeti whacks a penguin to see how far it will slide on the ice. Totally nonsensical entertainment.

bea26
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Just FYI... the games will NOT be tennis related. They'll be things like PacMan, Astroids, a few other games that Sebastien found for us early on like where a yeti whacks a penguin to see how far it will slide on the ice. Totally nonsensical entertainment.

I'd say 'eh' then. But who am I.

ssslurrrpfloooop.

Kirkus
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
And I think there's a chess game, video poker and blackjack available.

There's a link to some of the games in the first post of this thread.

nelslus
04-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I again will have to respectfully disagree with what may be becoming the group consensus.

Look, obviously someone who refers to himself incessantly in the third person "nelslus" doesn't take himself or life seriously 24/7. Or isn't willing to debate the finer points of Gasquet's ass, Golovin's IQ and did Justine ever REALLY get any. And still doesn't view anything of this sort from negating his being serious about tennis.

But, this site is called....."Talk about Tennis." I think this place is very special- and I for one hope it stays that way. Everyone I have seen write here on any kind of consistent basis is a serious tennis fan- COME OUT OF THE SERIOUS TENNIS FAN CLOSET, Y'ALL.

And yet, so many of you all have gone on and on griping about what went wrong on the other site (ESPN?). I also as of late have seen what HAD been my favorite site from WTA World, Blast from the Past IMO get bogged down by folks who HAD kept themselves to flaming at each other in the rest of the WTA World pages- most of which are IMO pretty unbearable. ("Are Andy and Maria JUST the best ever?" "I hate Steffi" vs. "I hate Monica." OOOOH, what fun.) And I see an "Arcade" as exactly the kind of thing that can attract such REALLY silly folks.....that I thought you all were trying to avoid. (They may take over on their own initiative, for all I know- but, why invite them in?)

So, allow me my Edith Evans moment here. (Not to mention that I am now getting enjoyment if hopefully enough of y'all have to traipse off and Google "Edith Evans.") I have seen too many good things in my life get diluted by not keeping focus. Look, I love plenty of other things in life, too, other than tenis- and I can go there for those things as I see fit- and in fact WANT to go other places that have better expertise in my other areas of interest.....and/or go to other places to enjoy things serious and silly for those areas that keep me interested and amused.

I do think that it's great that we can talk about anything and everything here- very clever, guaranteed to keep folks' interest. (Which was also a HUGE problem with Blast from the Past- how many ways can ya talk about Chris' backhand? And, ya can't re-write tennis history.)

I totally get that this can just be me over-reacting- the old mountain out of a mole-hill deal. Wouldn't be my first time- but, in such areas, often, I have been right. (I don't WANT to be right here, but, still.) I want to see this space stay special for as long as is possible. At least, if ya must go this road- then I still gotta say, try to avoid more bells-and-whistles.

I do fear that this could be the beginning of a bad Twilight Zone episode for me.....'cause, trust me, I have been down this road before.....

Jay
04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I again will have to respectfully disagree with what may be becoming the group consensus.

Look, obviously someone who refers to himself incessantly in the third person "nelslus" doesn't take himself or life seriously 24/7. Or isn't willing to debate the finer points of Gasquet's ass, Golovin's IQ and did Justine ever REALLY get any. And still doesn't view anything of this sort from negating his being serious about tennis.

But, this site is called....."Talk about Tennis." I think this place is very special- and I for one hope it stays that way. Everyone I have seen write here on any kind of consistent basis is a serious tennis fan- COME OUT OF THE SERIOUS TENNIS FAN CLOSET, Y'ALL.

And yet, so many of you all have gone on and on griping about what went wrong on the other site (ESPN?). I also as of late have seen what HAD been my favorite site from WTA World, Blast from the Past IMO get bogged down by folks who HAD kept themselves to flaming at each other in the rest of the WTA World pages- most of which are IMO pretty unbearable. ("Are Andy and Maria JUST the best ever?" "I hate Steffi" vs. "I hate Monica." OOOOH, what fun.) And I see an "Arcade" as exactly the kind of thing that can attract such REALLY silly folks.....that I thought you all were trying to avoid. (They may take over on their own initiative, for all I know- but, why invite them in?)

So, allow me my Edith Evans moment here. (Not to mention that I am now getting enjoyment if hopefully enough of y'all have to traipse off and Google "Edith Evans.") I have seen too many good things in my life get diluted by not keeping focus. Look, I love plenty of other things in life, too, other than tenis- and I can go there for those things as I see fit- and in fact WANT to go other places that have better expertise in my other areas of interest.....and/or go to other places to enjoy things serious and silly for those areas that keep me interested and amused.

I do think that it's great that we can talk about anything and everything here- very clever, guaranteed to keep folks' interest. (Which was also a HUGE problem with Blast from the Past- how many ways can ya talk about Chris' backhand? And, ya can't re-write tennis history.)

I totally get that this can just be me over-reacting- the old mountain out of a mole-hill deal. Wouldn't be my first time- but, in such areas, often, I have been right. (I don't WANT to be right here, but, still.) I want to see this space stay special for as long as is possible. At least, if ya must go this road- then I still gotta say, try to avoid more bells-and-whistles.

I do fear that this could be the beginning of a bad Twilight Zone episode for me.....'cause, trust me, I have been down this road before.....

I get what you're trying to say, here, Nelslus. But, i still must disagree with you. There are enough people in here to keep any people who come in here in line. There are moderators, admins, and the regulars.

JMHO, though.

nelslus
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
I get what you're trying to say, here, Nelslus. But, i still must disagree with you. There are enough people in here to keep any people who come in here in line. There are moderators, admins, and the regulars.

JMHO, though.

is jesse....daring to....disagree with us.....nelslus?!?!?

Jay
04-20-2007, 02:41 PM
is jesse....daring to....disagree with us.....nelslus?!?!?

it's spelled J-E-S-S-I-E
;)
:tisk:

nelslus
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
it's spelled J-E-S-S-I-E
;)
:tisk:

You say Jessie, I say Jesse. now, back to that issue of jessie disagreeing with us, nelslus....

Jay
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
You say Jessie, I say Jesse. now, back to that issue of jessie disagreeing with us, nelslus....

can't we all just have one big orgy get along?

Lone-star
04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't really get a vote (Kirkus fakes them with my name) just want you to know that at our house Jeopardy is a contact sport. His version of Pacman is gonna be a lot closer to Dry's :rolleyes:

bea26
04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't really get a vote (Kirkus fakes them with my name) just want you to know that at our house Jeopardy is a contact sport. His version of Pacman is gonna be a lot closer to Dry's :rolleyes:

But is it tennis related.

dryrunguy
04-20-2007, 03:59 PM
ssslurrrpfloooop.

I take it we'll be adding that one to the Dumpster vocabulary list?

Dry