PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs

nelslus
04-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Nelslus just figured out that, as he previously purchased tickets for the first game of the Bulls playoffs for nelslus and baby nelslus, not knowing at that time the specific day/time and who exactly would be playing- that he and baby nelslus get to see Shaq and Miami take on the Bulls this Saturday at 2 p.m. Chicago time.

Got to see MJ in his prime a few times back in the day- but nelslus has never been to an NBA playoff game- so nelslus is actually shocking himself to see how geeked he is. WOO-HOO.:yahoo:

Moose
04-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Nelslus just figured out that, as he previously purchased tickets for the first game of the Bulls playoffs for nelslus and baby nelslus, not knowing at that time the specific day/time and who exactly would be playing- that he and baby nelslus get to see Shaq and Miami take on the Bulls this Saturday at 2 p.m. Chicago time.

Got to see MJ in his prime a few times back in the day- but nelslus has never been to an NBA playoff game- so nelslus is actually shocking himself to see how geeked he is. WOO-HOO.:yahoo:

my 2 faves...the 76ers (East), and the Sacramento Kings (West) are both sitting on the sidelines for the playoffs.

If Chicago is anything like Philly, you'll have a blast, nelslus. It's a real electric, positive and fun environment at NBA games. And you get to see Shaq. And Ben Wallace, who is just a blast to watch in person.

shtexas
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Go Mavs! :cool:

Do it this time. :mad:

nelslus
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
(Granted, saying "Go, Bulls" seems kinda pointless in 2007....) :cry:

Sebastien447
04-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Haven't had a favorite team since Birdball, so I'll just cry GO NBA PLAYOFFS! I love 'em!

Some good first round match-ups ... particularly the Spurs and Nuggets. As strong as SA is, I think Denver could give them all they can handle. Miami and Chicago/Lakers and Phoenix should both be entertaining as well. Nash is so much fun to watch! Let the playoffs begin! WOOT!

bea26
04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Go Celtics!

(anyone..?)

AmonRa777
04-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Go Mavs! :cool:

Do it this time. :mad:

Since my Lakers are overmatched in the west, i am rooting for the Mavericks...But if they punk out like they did in last years finals i am thru with them...YOu folks in the west better enjoy your party...Once the Lakers get Kevin Garnett in the off season, the rightful order of the NBA will be restored

Moose
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
if I were everyone else in the West, I would be very, very concerned about the Spurs. They are peeking at just the right time.

AmonRa777
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
if I were everyone else in the West, I would be very, very concerned about the Spurs. They are peeking at just the right time.

I would certainly pick the Spurs to beat Phoenix and their sissy brand of basketball....But the Mavericks are too much for the aging Spurs...

Moose
04-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I would certainly pick the Spurs to beat Phoenix and their sissy brand of basketball....But the Mavericks are too much for the aging Spurs...

Phoenix is cooked against the Spurs, Amon. We'll have to see what happens if there is a Dallas/SanAn Western final. What you call age, I call big game experience. And Duncan is playing real hot right now.

Scotty
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
from Yahoo Sports:

The Golden State Warriors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/gsw/) have to play the league-best Dallas Mavericks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/dal/), but who cares? After an NBA-high 12-year absence, any postseason appearance is cause for celebration.
"I'm very relieved at this particular moment. I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be a new day and I'll have a new challenge," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "But at this particular time I'm going to sit back, drink a cold beer and enjoy the moment. Seize the moment, if you will."

The Warriors have been an afterthought, a punchline, a forgotten sport in the Bay Area for so long (the Sharks--in bleepin' hockey--have been a bigger deal by far) that it's nice to see a little success come their way.

S

shtexas
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
These playoffs are about matchups.

My Mavs do not match up well against Golden State and Nelson has Avery Johnson making changes to the line-up to deal with them. Johnson is rightfully concerned but I think we should just play our game. Stop playing into Nelson's hands.

Phoenix does not match up well against the Spurs, but the Mavs do.

Mavs - Phoenix is a big toss-up.

Darcy
04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Go Pistons! :yahoo:

Was at the game on Monday. Very cool, never been to an NBA playoff game. Saw Sheed make a really long three. :p

Foxykhat
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:the baby Bulls send the HEATS home.

Foxy

nelslus
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:the baby Bulls send the HEATS home.

Foxy

And here is a big :smitten: for My Gal Foxy- 'cause this is the first I heard of my (fair-weather Bulls fan that nelslus is) Bulls sweeping.

shtexas
04-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Cannot believe the Heat are out that easily. No love lost after what they did to my Mavs last year. But, the Mavs are in some serious trouble too. Both teams from the Finals last year may be out first round.

nelslus
04-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Go Pistons! :yahoo:

Was at the game on Monday. Very cool, never been to an NBA playoff game. Saw Sheed make a really long three. :p

That is so funny, Darcy- 'cause my partner and I went to our very first NBA playoff game (I was blessed to see MJ a few times in-person, but not for the playoffs) very recently, too- the Bulls' first playoff win. We also just had a blast. I officially love tennis and basketball crowds (as opposed to the crowds with too many other sports.) As loud as the crowd was, everyone was also somehow very polite. It was so funny- my man Baby Nelslus made himself a friend with the VERY straight guy sitting next to him, who shared every single basketball stat with Baby Nelslus known to man. It was all just very professionally done, and even our nose-bleed seats were very good. If anyone gets the chance to go- do so.

Foxykhat
04-29-2007, 01:42 PM
And here is a big :smitten: for My Gal Foxy- 'cause this is the first I heard of my (fair-weather Bulls fan that nelslus is) Bulls sweeping.

Thanks Nelsus, I've been a Bulls fan since MJ but don't follow much b-ball since well MJ retired it only help now that the fulls have a couple of my faves from college. Deng (Duke), Gordon (UConn).

It was sweet looking at Shaq looking like a lost child during these games.

Foxy

nelslus
04-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks Nelsus, I've been a Bulls fan since MJ but don't follow much b-ball since well MJ retired it only help now that the fulls have a couple of my faves from college. Deng (Duke), Gordon (UConn).

It was sweet looking at Shaq looking like a lost child during these games.

Foxy

I was a RABID Bulls fan during the MJ years- all the way to the Venus/Roger level- albeit my man might say I was even worse. I'd get so obnoxious that my man would beg me to go find a bar to go watch the game back-in-the-day- which is saying something, since I don't drink. I had VERY few Bulls-friends back then, and to be honest with myself, only one who was as Bulls-psycho and could stand to hang out with me during the MJ playoffs.

So, as each year has gone by, I've dropped NBA games from my schedule more and more- although, as with most sports, I'll watch playoff games, particularly when it's getting near the end. Still, it is fun for the Bulls to be doing well again, for as long as THAT will last.

PeterSkan
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't watch a lot of Basketball, but confess to a mild interest in the Raptors and Steve Nash ... purely a Canadian attachment, I guess.

I did watch the final quarter of the Heat/Bulls game, and was outraged by the deliberate off-play intentional fouls strategy deployed by Miami. I had never seen this before. What was the point? To put a guy on the FT line in the expectation he'd cave to the pressure and they'd come away with less than two points?

Talk about "sissy brand of basketball" ... Miami looked like rank amateurs in the process. Plus it backfired. The Bulls held their composure and smothered the Heat.

I don't know if it's enough to make me cheer for the Bulls through the playoffs, but justice was served on court today.

Maybe they should count these as two fouls against the perpetrators.

suliso
04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Did you guys see how Phoenix destroyed Lakers? :D :D :D
22 assists for Steve Nash - one shy of play-off record...

Ti-Amie
04-30-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm still kind of in shock about this. I knew Dwayne Wade was hurt but what about the rest of the team? Doesn't this dude named Shaquille still play for them or is he injured too?

Nice to see the franchise resurrect itself though.

Now when Kobe "it's all about me" Bryant is put on ice until the new season begins I'll be doing the happy dance.

Foxykhat
04-30-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm still kind of in shock about this. I knew Dwayne Wade was hurt but what about the rest of the team? Doesn't this dude named Shaquille still play for them or is he injured too?

Now when Kobe "it's all about me" Bryant is put on ice until the new season begins I'll be doing the happy dance.

Because believe it or not players like Kobe and now Dwayne Wade make Shaq look good. If they are not playing well neither can he, I'm anxiously waiting for him to now turn on Dwayne like he did Kobe.

It always amazes me how people knock Kobe for his "It's all about me" attitude while Shaq get a free pass, since to me they are both alike in that regard.

Foxy

Scotty
04-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Meanwhile, the Golden State Warriors have taken a 3-1 series lead over the Dallas Maverages.

Yay!
S

Ti-Amie
04-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Because believe it or not players like Kobe and now Dwayne Wade make Shaq look good. If they are not playing well neither can he, I'm anxiously waiting for him to now turn on Dwayne like he did Kobe.

It always amazes me how people knock Kobe for his "It's all about me" attitude while Shaq get a free pass, since to me they are both alike in that regard.

Foxy

I've always been ambivalent about Shaq. I think he showed his azz at the last All Star Game and should have been bitch-slapped.

You can say what you want about MJ. He ran the Bulls and dared anyone to try and stop him. And he could follow up his words with his fists so I'm told. He could carry a team and did so many times not for show but when he had to. These jokers today, the Kobe's, Shaq's and all the other pretenders aren't fit to carry his sneakers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Garnett when/if he gets to LA won't it?

shtexas
04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Meanwhile, the Golden State Warriors have taken a 3-1 series lead over the Dallas Maverages.

Yay!
S

:mad: for the term Maverages

:( for the Mavs

Foxykhat
04-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I've always been ambivalent about Shaq. I think he showed his azz at the last All Star Game and should have been bitch-slapped.

You can say what you want about MJ. He ran the Bulls and dared anyone to try and stop him. And he could follow up his words with his fists so I'm told. He could carry a team and did so many times not for show but when he had to. These jokers today, the Kobe's, Shaq's and all the other pretenders aren't fit to carry his sneakers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Garnett when/if he gets to LA won't it?

I completely agree with you about MJ and yes the kobe's, shaq's and the other pretenders are not fit to carry his sneakers.

I will be interesting indeed to see what happens with Garnett if he gets to LA.

Foxy

middaystar
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM

I guess people are forgetting that this is Shaq's 15th season. He is not the player that he used to be. Few are after 15 seasons.

Foxykhat
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
I guess people are forgetting that this is Shaq's 15th season. He is not the player that he used to be. Few are after 15 seasons.

Excuses, excuses you hear them everyday, fact is Star, Kobe and Wade made Shaq look good time and time again. Both of these players are the reasons not solely but more so than he, that Shaq has the rings.

Foxy

suliso
04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Excuses, excuses you hear them everyday, fact is Star, Kobe and Wade made Shaq look good time and time again. Both of these players are the reasons not solely but more so than he, that Shaq has the rings.

Foxy

I guess we see it diferently - I think the main reason Kobe has any rings at all is Shaq... However he has been in slow decline for 3-4 years already and at this point just can't be the main force any more. BTW MJ also reached a point in his career at which he wasn't good enough any more...

AmonRa777
05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Not a Denver Nuggets fan and i literally despise George Karl...But there was is no way the Nuggets can win a close game in this series...Every close call and a few abominable ones are going the Spurs way...It must be pointed out i'm rooting for the Spurs because i want them to take out those sissy Phoenix Suns and the most overhyped player in NBA history, Steve Nash...But Denver is getting the shaft from the refs...Still if AI and Mello shoot a higher percentage they are up 3-1 rather thabeing down

shtexas
05-01-2007, 07:36 AM
I have no animosity for Golden State as Don Nelson built my Mavs. I appreciate that after a decade (the 90's) where we flirted with the worst record in NBA history on three different occasions. I am just sorely disappointed in my team. :(

AmonRa777
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I have no animosity for Golden State as Don Nelson built my Mavs. I appreciate that after a decade (the 90's) where we flirted with the worst record in NBA history on three different occasions. I am just sorely disappointed in my team. :(

Don't dispair yet...All the Mavs have to do is win a game...Just win a ballgame and see what happens...The Warriors haven't dreamed of winning in nearly 40 years...Lets see if they can handle the pressure of winning a game 6 at home...Do you believe they will win game 7 in Dallas?? Just win a game and see what happens..

I like the Mavericks and still think they are the NBAs best team...But they need to get mean and show a little nasty on the court...They need to pound the ball inside and force the smaller Warriors to foul them...As they settle for perimeter jump shots, Nellie will keep them on the ropes and close it out

shtexas
05-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Boy, that Mavs-Golden State game was something last night. Whew!

AmonRa777
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Boy, that Mavs-Golden State game was something last night. Whew!

You ain't seen nothing yet...Just wait until tomorrow night...Dallas will have to bring it all to stay with them on the Bay...IMHO if the Mavs stay close and give the Warriors a chance to choke, it could really get interesting...Golden St is good enough to close the deal...But are they mentally tough enough to get it done...

Sebastien447
05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
It was painful watching Nash today. Stitch that nose up and get back in there buddy. The Suns are crap without you!

jsd123789456
05-06-2007, 10:30 PM
ok it definitely is late but still belongs here.

Houston...just damn it rockets, what the hell?!?!?

AmonRa777
05-07-2007, 05:33 AM
It was painful watching Nash today. Stitch that nose up and get back in there buddy. The Suns are crap without you!

Crap without him??? They have never won a blasted thing with him!!! He wasn't good enough to win a dang thing in Dallas either...All this hype over Steve Nash is ludicrous...He has got to be the worst player to ever win the MVP award...The fact they voted 2time MVP is just pathetic...No team with Steve Nash on it will ever win a title...Its sissy no defense basketball...Sells tickets and is cool in Europe...But the NBA is a much tougher game than Phoenix wants to play....Nash is a clown

Sebastien447
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Crap without him??? They have never won a blasted thing with him!!! He wasn't good enough to win a dang thing in Dallas either...All this hype over Steve Nash is ludicrous...He has got to be the worst player to ever win the MVP award...The fact they voted 2time MVP is just pathetic...No team with Steve Nash on it will ever win a title...Its sissy no defense basketball...Sells tickets and is cool in Europe...But the NBA is a much tougher game than Phoenix wants to play....Nash is a clown

I believe that most hoops fans are able to appreciate the value that Steve Nash holds for a basketball team. It's unfortunate that you cannot.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
The NBA is a joke! Stoudemire and Diaw are suspended for a game for what? Leaving the "general vicinity" of the bench? What a idiocy. I know why the rule is in place. But these instances should be taken on a case by case basis. Anyone who saw last night's game knows what I'm talkin about.

Stoudemire was right. The Spurs are dirty players and they are now being rewarded for it. Game 5 and the series is now theirs. What a piece of shit!

Ti-Amie
05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
There was an attempt at a fight during the Nets/Cavaliers game last night. NJ can't even start a fight right. I don't know why I've never warmed to that team.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 04:48 PM
NJ can't even start a fight right. I don't know why I've never warmed to that team.

Jason Kidd with Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson. Looks good on paper, but ...

AmonRa777
05-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Robert Horry of the Spurs suspended for two games for body checking Steve Nash...Stoudemire and Diaw suspended 1 game each for leaving the bench during a brawl....I think these suspensions are correct except Horry should have only gotten 1 game...Heck that thug Bell only got 1 game for that vicious clothes line on Kobe last year....Bell should have been kicked out of the playoffs for that nasty cheap shot...

Foxykhat
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Robert Horry of the Spurs suspended for two games for body checking Steve Nash...Stoudemire and Diaw suspended 1 game each for leaving the bench during a brawl....I think these suspensions are correct except Horry should have only gotten 1 game...Heck that thug Bell only got 1 game for that vicious clothes line on Kobe last year....Bell should have been kicked out of the playoffs for that nasty cheap shot...

I completely agree and while the foul was flagrant I think it was not intentional (I could be wrong) but I think it started out ok and just turned out to be a really horrible foul.

Foxy

AmonRa777
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I completely agree and while the foul was flagrant I think it was not intentional (I could be wrong) but I think it started out ok and just turned out to be a really horrible foul.

Foxy

Horry obviously wasn't trying to hurt him...The more i watch the replays the more i think Nash went hollywood on that play..He wasn't hit that hard...It wasn't even an elbow or forearm shiver...Its was just a body check...Heck that thug Raja Bell only got a 1 game suspension for clothes lining Kobe Bryant last year....All NBA players know if there is a fight to keep your butt on the bench...Thats been a hard fast unwavering rule the past 10 years....Makes no sense to change because the knucklehead Suns ran onto the court knowing they don't want ot fight anyway...If they were tough enough to fight they wouldn't be whining and crying about the Spurs getting physical with them...Can you imagine this sissy Suns team trying to compete in the 80s with the Pistons, Celtics and Lakers...Thye would have to hide underneath the bench...

Foxykhat
05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Horry obviously wasn't trying to hurt him...The more i watch the replays the more i think Nash went hollywood on that play..He wasn't hit that hard...It wasn't even an elbow or forearm shiver...Its was just a body check...Heck that thug Raja Bell only got a 1 game suspension for clothes lining Kobe Bryant last year....All NBA players know if there is a fight to keep your butt on the bench...Thats been a hard fast unwavering rule the past 10 years....Makes no sense to change because the knucklehead Suns ran onto the court knowing they don't want ot fight anyway...If they were tough enough to fight they wouldn't be whining and crying about the Spurs getting physical with them...Can you imagine this sissy Suns team trying to compete in the 80s with the Pistons, Celtics and Lakers...Thye would have to hide underneath the bench...

I thought I was the only one who thought Nash deserved an oscar for that performance, LOL he definitely went Hollywood. I actually think the players that came off the bench should have gotten the two games suspension instead of Horry. And of course you are right no way those whiners really wanted a fight.

They probably would not have shown up in they played then. LOL

Foxy

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM

That sissy Suns team just spanked your Spurs in their house! :hyst:

Too bad baby Horry couldn't take it like a man. What a jackass.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I thought I was the only one who thought Nash deserved an oscar for that performance, LOL he definitely went Hollywood. I actually think the players that came off the bench should have gotten the two games suspension instead of Horry. And of course you are right no way those whiners really wanted a fight.

They probably would not have shown up in they played then. LOL

Foxy

You two must be on something. Good luck with life in fantasy land. :rolleyes:

Ti-Amie
05-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Laimbeer, Roddick et al would have kicked a lot of butt!!!

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Laimbeer, Roddick et al would have kicked a lot of butt!!!

If by that you mean that Roddick would invent a time machine and travel back to the 80s while adding 50 pounds and learning how to fight ...

then I'd have to agree.

Moose
05-15-2007, 05:54 PM

....and nothing has happened to change my mind since I posted this before the playoffs started.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 05:54 PM
The Bulls are kicking Piston ass! EXCELLENT! Now if sheed could only step in a hole and break his leg, all would be right in the world.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
....and nothing has happened to change my mind since I posted this before the playoffs started.

could have been a different story if not for pissy boy Horry. What a jackass.

series over

AmonRa777
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM
If by that you mean that Roddick would invent a time machine and travel back to the 80s while adding 50 pounds and learning how to fight ...

then I'd have to agree.

Any true NBA fan knows TJ meant Rodman....Rodman, Laimbeer and Mahorn was prolly the meanest, dirtiest cheap shotting front line in the history of hoops...That team would have had a a bunch of whining crybaby sissies like the Suns afraid to come out of the locker room

AmonRa777
05-15-2007, 06:17 PM
The Bulls are kicking Piston ass! EXCELLENT! Now if sheed could only step in a hole and break his leg, all would be right in the world.

Had the baby Bulls not dined on peanutbutter-banana sandwiches during halftime of game 3, they likley would have won this series...But there is no way to know...The Bulls have a lot of young talent...If they get mentally tough and add a low post scorer, watch out

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Any true NBA fan knows TJ meant Rodman....Rodman, Laimbeer and Mahorn was prolly the meanest, dirtiest cheap shotting front line in the history of hoops...That team would have had a a bunch of whining crybaby sissies like the Suns afraid to come out of the locker room

If he meant Rodman, then let him say so. In the meantime, I'm quite fond of my time machine theory.

You can call the Suns sissies all night long, but one fact remains. Those "sissies" beat the Spurs in San Antonio. So what does that make the Spurs?

Too bad we'll never know if the Suns could have won the series at full strength. Thanks to that punk Horry. What a sham, the Spurs get rewarded for that thug behavior.

shtexas
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

It's all about match-ups. San Antonio matches up very well with Phoenix.

Now, it's time for Utah to finish off Golden State.

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
It's all about match-ups. San Antonio matches up very well with Phoenix.

I don't see anybody stopping Nash. And Stoudamire can hang with Dun ... oop, he doesn't get to play because Horry is a baby who slams opponents into walls when he loses. Wonderful.

suliso
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
I think we are writing off Suns way too early. Stoudemire and Diaw will be back for game 6.

It would be so sweet if they could rid us from those thugs from San Antonio...

Sebastien447
05-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I think we are writing off Suns way too early. Stoudemire and Diaw will be back for game 6.

It would be so sweet if they could rid us from those thugs from San Antonio...

:overhead_clap: !!!

Foxykhat
05-15-2007, 08:01 PM
You two must be on something. Good luck with life in fantasy land. :rolleyes:

What fantasy land, the one where you are the King?!

Foxy

Foxykhat
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
That sissy Suns team just spanked your Spurs in their house! :hyst:

Too bad baby Horry couldn't take it like a man. What a jackass.

I guess the Spurs did not win a game in the Suns house?!!

There is not taking nutten as no man... but it makes no sense getting into it with you.

Foxy

Sebastien447
05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I guess the Spurs did not win a game in the Suns house?!!

There is not taking nutten as no man... but it makes no sense getting into it with you.

Foxy

I was responding to AmonRa calling the Suns sissies.

I know it's difficult, but do try to keep up.

Sebastien447
05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
What fantasy land, the one where you are the King?!

Foxy

This involves reading an article, so I'll give you a couple days ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2872149

A few comments that I found particularly interesting ...

There is nothing wrong with playing physical. However, the Horry foul was a dirty play, the Bowen knee was a dirty play, and it was clear there was intent to injure. The thing that is interesting is the Suns were obviously quite upset over the knee. But they were not going to change their style to retaliate. I credit them for sticking to their plan and going out and winning Game 4.

Based on the wording of the rule, the league office had no choice but to suspend Diaw and Stoudemire. However, it may be the most unbalanced ruling in history. Horry got what he deserved for an egregiously flagrant and inflammatory foul. So the Spurs lose their eighth man while the Suns lose a first-team All-NBA player and another starter. What a joke.

The wording needs to be changed. There has to be room for a split-second reaction from the players on the bench. As long as a player or coach recognizes his transgression and quickly gets off the court before engaging in any physical contact with an opposing player, a suspension should not be warranted.
The NBA office has a lot of smart guys. They should use some of their best judgment to avoid the most highly anticipated series of the year being impacted by great players not participating.

If the league can't do a better job of interpreting the spirit of their rules, they won't get it right no matter how the rules are written. I'm a "fairness" over "correctness" guy. As Stu Jackson made clear, he and Stern are not.

Are we all in fantasy land foxy?

Jay
05-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Before this gets personal, I would like to tell everyone to try and be civil and respectful.

Sebastien447
05-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Before this gets personal, I would like to tell everyone to try and be civil and respectful.

Asinine comments irritate me.

Can I say that?

shtexas
05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
And back to the action...

Phoenix leads by 11 at the half.

AmonRa777
05-17-2007, 04:32 AM
I was responding to amoron calling the Suns sissies.

Its AmonRa777, thank you....You might want to review the posting guidelines and rules of etiquette here?? Just a thought

AmonRa777
05-17-2007, 04:38 AM
I was responding to amoron calling the Suns sissies.

The Phoenix Suns are commonly refered to by other NBA teams and knowledgeable basketball fans as a soft sissy team that will never win a championship with their charmin style of play...They need to man up...I am so sick of all the crying about them getting beatup by the Spurs...Be a man and hit someone back...Hard fouls are part of the game...Knocking down star players and players with the hot hands has always been a part of the game...Basketball is a contact sport...Any team that fears contact or cries about it is a sissy team...You might not like it..But its the truth...

AmonRa777
05-17-2007, 04:40 AM

It takes a very intelligent and clever poster to bait me...I doubt anyone here would describe Sebastien in that fashion

Foxykhat
05-17-2007, 06:20 AM
I see the Spurs won, I went to sleep before the game was finished but good to see they pulled it out.

Foxy

Sebastien447
05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Its AmonRa777, thank you....You might want to review the posting guidelines and rules of etiquette here?? Just a thought

I MADE the rules here.

Now I get to break 'em.

Sebastien447
05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
The Phoenix Suns are commonly refered to by other NBA teams and knowledgeable basketball fans as a soft sissy team that will never win a championship with their charmin style of play...They need to man up...I am so sick of all the crying about them getting beatup by the Spurs...Be a man and hit someone back...Hard fouls are part of the game...Knocking down star players and players with the hot hands has always been a part of the game...Basketball is a contact sport...Any team that fears contact or cries about it is a sissy team...You might not like it..But its the truth...

There is nothing wrong with physical play. But the Spurs have crossed the line time after time. They are dirty. Just look at the Horry foul that caused this series to become such a sham. Disgusting and dirty and there's no need for it. The NBA is worse off for it. This series is now a joke.

Kirkus
05-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I MADE the rules here.
Now I get to break 'em.

Yeah. Not so much, really.

mrjiggyfly2
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Anybody remember Kevin McHale's brilliant clothesline of Kurt Rambis in the 84 NBA finals!!!!!!!

Sebastien447
05-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah. Not so much, really.

Oh yeah, that was you. :p

Sebastien447
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
It takes a very intelligent and clever poster to bait me...I doubt anyone here would describe Sebastien in that fashion

Don't you tire of being wrong? I mean, you'd think that just once, just for a change of pace, you try being correct. :kiss:

Sebastien447
05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Anybody remember Kevin McHale's brilliant clothesline of Kurt Rambis in the 84 NBA finals!!!!!!!

Yeah, but Rambis wasn't really a basketball player.

Moose
05-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Spurs 3-2 and heading home. Buh bye Suns.

Kirkus
05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Don't you tire of being wrong? I mean, you'd think that just once, just for a change of pace, you try being correct. :kiss:

Sebastien, please stop baiting.

FORUM RULES (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577)

Sebastien447
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Spurs 3-2 and heading home. Buh bye Suns.

what a joke

shtexas
05-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Funny thing is I'm actually rooting for the Suns. They are fun to watch. But, because of the match-up, I have always expected the Spurs to win.

Moose
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Funny thing is I'm actually rooting for the Suns. They are fun to watch. But, because of the match-up, I have always expected the Spurs to win.

at this level, I'll take Tim Duncan over Steve Nash anyday, shtexas. Certain players go up a notch when everything's on the line, and Duncan is one of the best at raising his level of play come playoff time.

AmonRa777
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
at this level, I'll take Tim Duncan over Steve Nash anyday, shtexas. Certain players go up a notch when everything's on the line, and Duncan is one of the best at raising his level of play come playoff time.

Exactly..I never root for the soft finesse teams...Phoenix might be fun for some to watch...I prefer real basketball...Bang that thing into the low post, hit the boards like there is no tomorrow, play tough hard nose defense....Thats what championship hoops is all about....Duncan is one f the greatest low post players ever...

On the flip side, all this whining and crying about the Spurs beating the Suns up is disgusting....Phoenix needs to man up and quit crying...If you think Bowen is a dirty player knock him out and make it look good...But crying about is so sad and pathetic

Sebastien447
05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I have to say that I've always liked Duncan. But there are dirty players on the Spurs basketball team. There is a difference between physical play and dirty play. Horry showed us what the Spurs are all about the other night. It's just a shame that the wrong team was punished. And if a team is taking cheap shots, like Horry did, trying to injure, I don't believe that the answer is to "knock them out." That type of behavior should not be condoned by the NBA.

shtexas
05-18-2007, 09:23 PM
The Suns about to set

shtexas
05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Spurs move on. Congratulations Duncan & Co!

AmonRa777
05-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Spurs move on. Congratulations Duncan & Co!

San Antonio vs Utah will be a great series....Both teams play the game the right way...Boozer vs Duncan will be a war...Utah will get physical with the Spurs...You wont hear any whining and crying in this series...Both teams will man up and get after it....Miller vs Parker will be another great battle...The problem the Spurs have is Utah forwards are too big and tough for Bowen...Ginobli is a very tough matchup for Utah...It has all the makings of a classic series...You have to give the Spurs the edge because of Duncan and their 3 titles...But Utah has the ability to win this thing

AmonRa777
05-19-2007, 05:50 AM
I have to say that I've always liked Duncan. But there are dirty players on the Spurs basketball team. There is a difference between physical play and dirty play. Horry showed us what the Spurs are all about the other night. It's just a shame that the wrong team was punished. And if a team is taking cheap shots, like Horry did, trying to injure, I don't believe that the answer is to "knock them out." That type of behavior should not be condoned by the NBA.

Hard fouls and vicious picks have been a part of basketball for 60 years...Its hilarious to hear all the punk whining from the Phoenix fans...The Suns are soft and suffered the fate that all finesse teams endure in the playoff....Like Doug Moe's Denver Nuggets, George Gervins Spurs and Julius Irvings 76'ers prior to Moses Malones arrival, its been proven over the ages that finesses teams can't win the Championship....Phoenix needs a center or another power forward to help Amare out...Stoudemire is a great player...But he is a whiner...Steve Nash might break out in a rash if he played defense....He is a great offensive point guard, but you will never play championship defense with Nash as your starter...He can't or wont guard anyone...Thats why Dallas let him go....Steve Nash will never be Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, Bob Cousey, Pete Maravich, Walt Fraiser, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe or Tony Parker...Nash is very good...But his greatness is vastly overhyped...He only contributes on 1 end of the floor....You will not see Tony Parker light up the Utah point guards the way he blew Naash up...Parker will get his...But Utah will make him earn it....Diaw and Barbosa are defensive liabilites also....Raja Bell and Amare are the only defenders Phoenix has...Thats why they fail each year...

AmonRa777
05-19-2007, 06:01 AM

Thats because you know the Spurs are a much better team....The Spurs play the game the right way

Foxykhat
05-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Just woke up and saw that the Spurs won, GOOD.

Congrats to Tim Duncan and the team.

Foxy

Sebastien447
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Hard fouls and vicious picks have been a part of basketball for 60 years...Its hilarious to hear all the punk whining from the Phoenix fans...The Suns are soft and suffered the fate that all finesse teams endure in the playoff....Like Doug Moe's Denver Nuggets, George Gervins Spurs and Julius Irvings 76'ers prior to Moses Malones arrival, its been proven over the ages that finesses teams can't win the Championship....Phoenix needs a center or another power forward to help Amare out...Stoudemire is a great player...But he is a whiner...Steve Nash might break out in a rash if he played defense....He is a great offensive point guard, but you will never play championship defense with Nash as your starter...He can't or wont guard anyone...Thats why Dallas let him go....Steve Nash will never be Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, Bob Cousey, Pete Maravich, Walt Fraiser, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe or Tony Parker...Nash is very good...But his greatness is vastly overhyped...He only contributes on 1 end of the floor....You will not see Tony Parker light up the Utah point guards the way he blew Naash up...Parker will get his...But Utah will make him earn it....Diaw and Barbosa are defensive liabilites also....Raja Bell and Amare are the only defenders Phoenix has...Thats why they fail each year...

Thanks for teaching us all about basketball amon. I'm sure everyone really appreciates it. But there's a difference between physical play and dirty play and I don't think you'll ever understand that.

Sebastien447
05-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Thats because you know the Spurs are a much better team....The Spurs play the game the right way

with cheap shots and dirty play?

again, I am enlightened. :rolleyes:

Sebastien447
05-22-2007, 06:29 PM
There is absolutely no chance for Utah to win 4 out of 7 over the Spurs. Zero. Zip. Zilch. No chance. None. Same with Cleveland's chances against Detroit. Competitively speaking, these are the worst Conference Finals in a long long time. Let's just fast-forward to Spurs vs. Pistons. Now there's a series that could go either way.

AmonRa777
05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
with cheap shots and dirty play?

again, I am enlightened. :rolleyes:

For your edification: Dirty teams of the NBA:
1. Detroit Pistons(late 80s early 90s)
2. Washington Bullets(70s, Unseld, Hayes, Ruland, Ballard)
3. Chicago Bulls(70s Jery Sloan was a player on those dirty teams)
4. New York Knick( early t0 mid 90s)
5. Miami Heat(mid to late 90s)
6. Philadelphia 76ers(during Charles Barkleys tenure)
7. Boston Celtics(McHale, Bird, Paris, Carr, Maxwell)
8. Boston Celtics(70s, Cowens, Paul Silas)
9. LA Lakers(mid 80s, Curt Rambis, Michael Thompson)
0. Utah Jazz(Karl Malone, John Stockton era)

Sissy whining crybaby teams of the NBA
1. Phoenix Suns (current edition)
2. Denver Nuggets(Doug Moes tenure)
3. Phoenix Suns (late 70s)
4. San Antonio Spurs(George Gervin era)
5. Seattle Supersonics(Ray Allen era)
6. Washington Wizzards(current edition)
7. Sacrimento Kings(Chris Webber, Paja Stoijokovic era)
9. Portland Trailbazers(Clyde Drexler era)
0. Houston Rockets(Ralph Samson era)

Hope this helps you out..Please stop embarrassing yourself...Longtime NBA fans like me are tired of laughing at your posts

Sebastien447
05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
You're tired of laughing?

Kirkus
05-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I'd like to think with our recent number of visitors and RG only 3 days away, our long-time members wouldn't need to be moderated.

Or in other words, keep the personal crap off the boards.

PeterSkan
05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
The Suns aren't sissies, they're cerebral!

heheheheh

I don't know enough about hoops to know if this applies, but the lesson from hockey is that if you build your franchise around playmakers only, you better have enforcers on hand to protect them. Back in the day, successful franchises were centered on guys who were famed for controlling the boards as well as putting the puck in the net, guys like Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Boom Boom Geoffrion, and Frank Mahovolich.

There were specialty enforcers like John Ferguson by the late 1960's, but the tipping point was the historic Canada-Soviets series in '72, when the brilliant tactical play of the Russians threatened to pack the Canucks off to Siberia. Then it was gutsy, even dirty, play of players like Bobby Clarke that pulled out the series. "Big hero" Paul Henderson was just in the right place at the right time.

Through the 1980's too much credit for the tremendous success of the Edmonton Oilers was given to the dazzling skills of sissies like Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, when it was tough guys like Mark Messier and enforcers like Dave Semenko that allowed them do their thing. Rumour is that the "Great" Gretzky didn't see his fingernails during his entire career. That's why it wasn't a disaster for him to be traded, and why the Oilers went on to win another Stanley Cup without him.

Is basketball much different? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that, like hockey, you've got increasingly larger men playing in close quarters on a constricted surface [even more so - hockey has the anomaly of varying rink sizes by venue] so it's bound to be physical. Pretty boy play can be entertaining, but you have to be able to back it up.

This is how the pugnacious scrapper "King" Clancy summed it up in his typical street sense wisdom: "If you can't beat them in the alley, you won't beat them on the ice".

AmonRa777
05-23-2007, 11:01 AM
The Suns aren't sissies, they're cerebral!

heheheheh

I don't know enough about hoops to know if this applies, but the lesson from hockey is that if you build your franchise around playmakers only, you better have enforcers on hand to protect them. Back in the day, successful franchises were centered on guys who were famed for controlling the boards as well as putting the puck in the net, guys like Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Boom Boom Geoffrion, and Frank Mahovolich.

There were specialty enforcers like John Ferguson by the late 1960's, but the tipping point was the historic Canada-Soviets series in '72, when the brilliant tactical play of the Russians threatened to pack the Canucks off to Siberia. Then it was gutsy, even dirty, play of players like Bobby Clarke that pulled out the series. "Big hero" Paul Henderson was just in the right place at the right time.

Through the 1980's too much credit for the tremendous success of the Edmonton Oilers was given to the dazzling skills of sissies like Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, when it was tough guys like Mark Messier and enforcers like Dave Semenko that allowed them do their thing. Rumour is that the "Great" Gretzky didn't see his fingernails during his entire career. That's why it wasn't a disaster for him to be traded, and why the Oilers went on to win another Stanley Cup without him.

Is basketball much different? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that, like hockey, you've got increasingly larger men playing in close quarters on a constricted surface [even more so - hockey has the anomaly of varying rink sizes by venue] so it's bound to be physical. Pretty boy play can be entertaining, but you have to be able to back it up.

This is how the pugnacious scrapper "King" Clancy summed it up in his typical street sense wisdom: "If you can't beat them in the alley, you won't beat them on the ice".

Great point Peterskan...Basketball has always operated the same way...Great teams have always had enforcers to protect thier superstars...If you hit the superstar retaliation is imminent and vicious....It goes way back to the 60s...Paul Silas, Dave Cowens, Wes Unseld, Jeff Ruland, Ballard, Kevin McHale, Cedric Maxwell, Maurice Lucas, Charles Barkley, Kurt Rambis, Michael Thompson, Dennis Rodman...I could name a more...But its a man rule...If your star gets kicked, you don't cry like a sissy...You kick back twice as hard..Its the code that makes all NBA dynasties viable....Phoenix plays a fun brand of hoops to watch...But honestly they need to man up and stop crying...They need to sign a free agent willing to kick arse and be the enforcer that protects Steve Nash..

Sebastien447
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
The dirty play is the only thing that anyone has been complaining about. Primarily, the cheap shot on Nash by Horry. It could have been a great series, but instead it became a degraded sham. Asterisk needed.

Sebastien447
05-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I'd like to think with our recent number of visitors and RG only 3 days away, our long-time members wouldn't need to be moderated.

Or in other words, keep the personal crap off the boards.

huh?

me = :angel:

PeterSkan
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Great point Peterskan...Basketball has always operated the same way...Great teams have always had enforcers to protect thier superstars...If you hit the superstar retaliation is imminent and vicious....It goes way back to the 60s...Paul Silas, Dave Cowens, Wes Unseld, Jeff Ruland, Ballard, Kevin McHale, Cedric Maxwell, Maurice Lucas, Charles Barkley, Kurt Rambis, Michael Thompson, Dennis Rodman...I could name a more...But its a man rule...If your star gets kicked, you don't cry like a sissy...You kick back twice as hard..Its the code that makes all NBA dynasties viable....Phoenix plays a fun brand of hoops to watch...But honestly they need to man up and stop crying...They need to sign a free agent willing to kick arse and be the enforcer that protects Steve Nash..

Thanks for this info. You've obviously got a strong grasp of the game and its history, so I'm wondering if you can help me out with this.

As the TV market exploded, the hockey media has pandered to articulate and telegenic offensive playmakers like Wayne Gretzky ["The Great One"], Mario Lemieux, Syd Crosbey, etc.These are the guys who log the ice time [typically 20 to 30 minutes of a 60 minute game] needed to produce offensively and who lead the team and or league offensive stats. They hog the limelight and typically are rewarded with team and/or league MVP honours.

These guys are/were good, no doubt about it, and frequently also have the spirit and character to serve as team captain. But there's a telling statistic in hockey that is often overlooked: the +/-. It's not a perfect indicator of individual performance because it can be impacted by team performance. But over time it speaks volumes. It records the difference between goals scored by your team when you are on the ice and goals scored by the other team when you are on the ice. So a plus/minus score of -10 means that for the season [or for yor career], your opponents had ten more goals than your team did when you were on the ice.

Think about it now in terms of assets and iabilities in relation to team outcomes!

Interestingly, what you often find is that soft-handers like Gretzky fared poorly in this category. These guys spent their careers circling centre ice waiting for a headman pass for a one-on-one breakaway against the opposing goalie. When the neutral zone trap was innovated by teams like the New Jersey Devils in the late-90's, it was game over for the likes of Gretzky. Why? Because they couldn't play defense to save their lives. But solid two-way players like Mark Messier continued to flourish.

It's all more complicated than this, of course, but you get the idea. I was reminded of this from your comment about Steve Nash's lack of defensive skills [a curious choice, then, for MVP].

Obviously it makes sense to search for the right combination of role players when building your team, but I think you would want to start with the smartest two-way players.

I'd like your thoughts on whether these considerations apply to basketball and who the best two-way players are/have been in the game.

middaystar
05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
As the TV market exploded, the hockey media has pandered to articulate and telegenic offensive playmakers like Wayne Gretzky ["The Great One"],

PeterCan,

It seems like calling Gretzky "the Great One", sort of sticks in you throat.

LOL

Stat wise, I always thought it fit him. I guess you think differently. And I thought by the mid 90's Gretzky career was basically over. Just play a few more season, to draw in the fans, but not a factor.

AmonRa777
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for this info. You've obviously got a strong grasp of the game and its history, so I'm wondering if you can help me out with this.

As the TV market exploded, the hockey media has pandered to articulate and telegenic offensive playmakers like Wayne Gretzky ["The Great One"], Mario Lemieux, Syd Crosbey, etc.These are the guys who log the ice time [typically 20 to 30 minutes of a 60 minute game] needed to produce offensively and who lead the team and or league offensive stats. They hog the limelight and typically are rewarded with team and/or league MVP honours.

These guys are/were good, no doubt about it, and frequently also have the spirit and character to serve as team captain. But there's a telling statistic in hockey that is often overlooked: the +/-. It's not a perfect indicator of individual performance because it can be impacted by team performance. But over time it speaks volumes. It records the difference between goals scored by your team when you are on the ice and goals scored by the other team when you are on the ice. So a plus/minus score of -10 means that for the season [or for yor career], your opponents had ten more goals than your team did when you were on the ice.

Think about it now in terms of assets and iabilities in relation to team outcomes!

Interestingly, what you often find is that soft-handers like Gretzky fared poorly in this category. These guys spent their careers circling centre ice waiting for a headman pass for a one-on-one breakaway against the opposing goalie. When the neutral zone trap was innovated by teams like the New Jersey Devils in the late-90's, it was game over for the likes of Gretzky. Why? Because they couldn't play defense to save their lives. But solid two-way players like Mark Messier continued to flourish.

It's all more complicated than this, of course, but you get the idea. I was reminded of this from your comment about Steve Nash's lack of defensive skills [a curious choice, then, for MVP].

Obviously it makes sense to search for the right combination of role players when building your team, but I think you would want to start with the smartest two-way players.

I'd like your thoughts on whether these considerations apply to basketball and who the best two-way players are/have been in the game.

Again you understand far more about hoops than you believe...Defense winning championships is nearly universal in competative sports...If you look at the last four teams standing in the NBA, San Antonio, Detroit, Cleveland and Utah...They all excel on both ends of the floor...The Spurs and Pistons can beat you 110-103 or beat you 84-81 if they have to....The Phoenix Suns will never be a championship team until they can clamp down on the defensive end and get some crucial stops...The Suns problem is they only have two players on thier roster that play defense...Raja Bell and Amare Stoudemire do it on both ends...You just can't stop anyone with only two defenders...Nash is a great offensive point guard...Phoenix really lights it up...But Nash wont or can't guard anyone....Don't get me talking about his 2 MVP awards...It makes me wanna barf...If you look at the list of names that have 2 MVP awards in NBA history, its quite evident that Nash is undeserving....IMHO he won his first because the sports media hates Kobe Bryant too much to give him his due...The one he won last year should have gone to Dirk Nowitski...My opinion is unpopular because Nash seems to be a very nice guy...But i have been an NBA fan all my life..I know what i am talking about...Just telling ti like it is...Steve Nash is great for scoring points...But MVP?? puuhlleaassssseee

beaujarkko
05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I just thought I'd use this post to mention that I went to my first ever basketball playoff game tonight. The Pistons beat the Cavs, 79-76. I am definitely looking forward to a Pistons/Spurs final. It will be amazing, when it happens.

Moose
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I just thought I'd use this post to mention that I went to my first ever basketball playoff game tonight. The Pistons beat the Cavs, 79-76. I am definitely looking forward to a Pistons/Spurs final. It will be amazing, when it happens.

It probably would have been a better final if the Psitons had won the series against the Cavs, BJ. So far, the Cavs haven't shown squat.

Ti-Amie
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
It probably would have been a better final if the Psitons had won the series against the Cavs, BJ. So far, the Cavs haven't shown squat.

Looks like the Spurs got a cakewalk to another championship. I agree, the Pistons would have put up a fight.

one_shot07
06-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Okay... So I don't kno if anyone was watchin the game or not but the Cavs sooo.... shoulda won! They Spurs barely scored in the 4th quarter and Ginobli's only points in the whole game were from free throws! I hope they can mount at least some sort of comeback in game 4! Emphasis on the word hope!