dryrunguy
04-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Greg is gonna turn pro (according to CNN and AP)... :mad:

Dry

Sebastien447
04-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Greg is gonna turn pro (according to CNN and AP)... :mad:

Dry

Oden's father is turning out to be a real jackass. Not only has he convinced his son to change his mind and turn pro. He's working on Conley too, and has designs on serving as their agent. He's using his son and his friend to springboard into a career as a sports agent.

Rex
04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Oden's father is turning out to be a real jackass. Not only has he convinced his son to change his mind and turn pro. He's working on Conley too, and has designs on serving as their agent. He's using his son and his friend to springboard into a career as a sports agent.

It's the other way around. Conley's father, certified by the NBA as an agent, wants to represent Oden as an agent, if Oden elects to go pro. It'll be his first foray into the sports agent field and he intends to capitalize on the friendship between his son and Greg to venture into the area. His own son is now debating whether or not to follow suit, after he has intimated that he's 100% committed to returning to Ohio State for his soph year. Oden, however, is not ready for the NBA, neither is the junior Georgetown center (Hibbert), who needs his senior year to perfect his game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2837151

dryrunguy
04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
This is (arguably) the ugliest side of sports... When parents use their child as a meal ticket. I can understand part of it. For most families, money doesn't grow on trees. I can understand the urge to chase the fortunes associated with superstardom.

Saw a great piece a few ago on ESPN about the issue of providing financial compensation to college athletes to help them (and their families) resist the urge to bail on college and turn pro. It made a strong case. Besides, doesn't that pretty much happen across the board anyways?

And then there's the issue of bailing on one's education. If a player turns pro and doesn't make it or gets a career-ending injury, well, there are only so many spots available in the commentators booth.

Ah, now I'm rambling.

Dry

Sebastien447
04-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, they're not really ready but lets face it, if you or I had the chance to sign a multi-million dollar contract and be set for life, we'd take it too.

Thanks for the correction Rex. Fathers sucking off their sons. Pathetic.

tennisbrp
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
For all the sports and ESPN I have watched over the years I cannot come up with an example of a phenominal college athlete who elected to stay in school that one more year and blew out a knee or otherwise ended their career before it started. Any examples of one? The only examples I can think of are from guys who were already pros like Robert Edwards at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii etc but no Tim Duncan/Greg Oden like guy comes to mind as a good example of why going pro one year early is more desirable than fine tuning more skills to be a better pro or to get an education or just enjoy the opportunity in college sports that will not be there for these guys again.

Must go watch the Sopranos.....

Jay
04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
This is (arguably) the ugliest side of sports... When parents use their child as a meal ticket. I can understand part of it. For most families, money doesn't grow on trees. I can understand the urge to chase the fortunes associated with superstardom.

Saw a great piece a few ago on ESPN about the issue of providing financial compensation to college athletes to help them (and their families) resist the urge to bail on college and turn pro. It made a strong case. Besides, doesn't that pretty much happen across the board anyways?

And then there's the issue of bailing on one's education. If a player turns pro and doesn't make it or gets a career-ending injury, well, there are only so many spots available in the commentators booth.

Ah, now I'm rambling.

Dry

Yes, there is a strong case there. But, you also have to take in account the fact that if basket ball players in college get money to play, so should those in all other areas of college sports. It's only fair. Moreover, i doubt that colleges would want to financially burden themselves with paying all college athletes.

AmonRa777
04-16-2007, 06:46 AM

Ah, now I'm rambling.

Dry

You are totally off target with that analysis Dry...Why do we pursue a quality education??? One cannot argue against earnings potential as the primary objective of education...Oden will never have higher earnings potential than now...He is a lock to be the top draft pick and earn a $50 mil shoe and clothing contract....He can finish his education online, in the off season and at nights...Who cares about and for Greg Oden if some horrible accident were to happen before he finishes playing another year for OSU? Its simply insane to suggest he should not turn pro...His father is merely giving him responsable and sane advice..To do different his father would eb betraying the best interest of his son...So what if the family benefits from Odens prosperity??? Whats wrong with that?? If you want to get tired of kids with supreme athletic ability being exploited, rage against the NCAA....

The poster that pointed out that Conley Sr is the registered agent pursuing Oden is exactly right....Oden father is simply giving his son the only sane advise a decent parent can give...Who would tell their child to turn away from $30-40 million dollars to play another year for Ohio St?? I guess maybe Thad Motta would...But i doubt it

AmonRa777
04-16-2007, 06:52 AM
For all the sports and ESPN I have watched over the years I cannot come up with an example of a phenominal college athlete who elected to stay in school that one more year and blew out a knee or otherwise ended their career before it started. Any examples of one? The only examples I can think of are from guys who were already pros like Robert Edwards at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii etc but no Tim Duncan/Greg Oden like guy comes to mind as a good example of why going pro one year early is more desirable than fine tuning more skills to be a better pro or to get an education or just enjoy the opportunity in college sports that will not be there for these guys again.

Must go watch the Sopranos.....

I don't know of one either...But if you're the one that unfortunate disaster happens to would it matter how many kids made it despite not leaving early...Its not about statistics...Its about risks...Why risk 30-40 million guaranteed dollars for another year of schooling...Is there a rule that says the athletes can't earn their degree later?? Many do finish their education you know....

dryrunguy
04-16-2007, 07:23 AM
You are totally off target with that analysis Dry...Why do we pursue a quality education??? One cannot argue against earnings potential as the primary objective of education...Oden will never have higher earnings potential than now...He is a lock to be the top draft pick and earn a $50 mil shoe and clothing contract....He can finish his education online, in the off season and at nights...Who cares about and for Greg Oden if some horrible accident were to happen before he finishes playing another year for OSU? Its simply insane to suggest he should not turn pro...His father is merely giving him responsable and sane advice..To do different his father would eb betraying the best interest of his son...So what if the family benefits from Odens prosperity??? Whats wrong with that?? If you want to get tired of kids with supreme athletic ability being exploited, rage against the NCAA....

The poster that pointed out that Conley Sr is the registered agent pursuing Oden is exactly right....Oden father is simply giving his son the only sane advise a decent parent can give...Who would tell their child to turn away from $30-40 million dollars to play another year for Ohio St?? I guess maybe Thad Motta would...But i doubt it

If life is all about money, then sobeit. But it's peculiar how those who seem to have the most money are among the unhappiest and unfulfilled people in the world... Sit and watch CNN for 5 minutes and that becomes clear.

Oden seems like a good kid... and even if he decides to make the transition to the NBA now, sure, it can all work out for him in every way and in every aspect of his life. I hope it does.

Dry

AmonRa777
04-16-2007, 07:55 AM
If life is all about money, then sobeit. But it's peculiar how those who seem to have the most money are among the unhappiest and unfulfilled people in the world... Sit and watch CNN for 5 minutes and that becomes clear.

Oden seems like a good kid... and even if he decides to make the transition to the NBA now, sure, it can all work out for him in every way and in every aspect of his life. I hope it does.

Dry

No one in this thread suggested life is all about money...Thats a moot point...The point is people go to college to increase earnings potential...There are other reasons to go to college but earning potential and career pursuits are at the top of the lists....You make it seem like its either or...It has never been pro sports or an education...All the players have the option to finsh their education after they become wealthy...Whats wrong with that??? No one says a word when golfers, tennis players, skaters and other athletes turn pro at 16&17...But if basketball players do it, rather than continue their play for our favorite Universities, we cry crimes against society...Its sheer hypocrisy...

suliso
04-16-2007, 08:06 AM
No one in this thread suggested life is all about money...Thats a moot point...The point is people go to college to increase earnings potential...There are other reasons to go to college but earning potential and career pursuits are at the top of the lists....You make it seem like its either or...It has never been pro sports or an education...All the players have the option to finsh their education after they become wealthy...Whats wrong with that??? No one says a word when golfers, tennis players, skaters and other athletes turn pro at 16&17...But if basketball players do it, rather than continue their play for our favorite Universities, we cry crimes against society...Its sheer hypocrisy...

I agree

tennisbrp
04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't know of one either...But if you're the one that unfortunate disaster happens to would it matter how many kids made it despite not leaving early...Its not about statistics...Its about risks...Why risk 30-40 million guaranteed dollars for another year of schooling...Is there a rule that says the athletes can't earn their degree later?? Many do finish their education you know....

Sure. I what I wrote has nothing to do with accusing athletes of quitting school or not finishing education. More the risk analysis. Maybe 40/50 million in contract and shoe endorsements could turn into 80/100 million if you honed more of a skill set in college. Maybe that holds more truth in football without guaranteed money than basketball.

Sebastien447
04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
There are some things that you can get from the experience in college that you can't get from 50 million dollars; Living and learning with one's peers; Growing into adulthood in dynamic and vibrant surroundings; Having the time to explore ideas and attitudes in a non-threatening environment. These are treasured experiences for most people who have graduated college. You can't get that back.

I don't believe that it is ever a good idea to miss life experience in favor of money. The NBA and other pro sports leagues are filled with what Greg Oden is going to become ... a manchild. There are world class athletes who are unable to carry on a normal conversation. Beyond the sport, who are they? Do they know? They're rich in money, but often poor in content of character.

I would think that Oden's Father would be concerned with more than money. I would think that he'd be more concerned about what kind of person Greg is going to become.

AmonRa777
04-16-2007, 06:33 PM
There are some things that you can get from the experience in college that you can't get from 50 million dollars; Living and learning with one's peers; Growing into adulthood in dynamic and vibrant surroundings; Having the time to explore ideas and attitudes in a non-threatening environment. These are treasured experiences for most people who have graduated college. You can't get that back.

I don't believe that it is ever a good idea to miss life experience in favor of money. The NBA and other pro sports leagues are filled with what Greg Oden is going to become ... a manchild. There are world class athletes who are unable to carry on a normal conversation. Beyond the sport, who are they? Do they know? They're rich in money, but often poor in content of character.

I would think that Oden's Father would be concerned with more than money. I would think that he'd be more concerned about what kind of person Greg is going to become.

Thats a bit melodramatic don't you think...many adults gain a wealth of interpersonal experiences that enriches character and leads to a full life...College is not the only place to gain those experiences...Its also an undeniable fact that many go to college earn several degrees and still come out socially dysfunctional...If kids want to secure their financial future as soon as they can, more power to them...There is absolutely no harm for most of the players...Yeah a few knuckleheads blow up thier lives...But the media focuses on the negative and never tells America the success stories of many players that leave school early or never go to college to begin with..The public buys more copy of a train wreck than the goodwill stories the players deserve to have heard...When do we as mature Americans learn to respect the freedom of others to make law abiding choices that vary from our own opinions...

Sebastien447
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Thats a bit melodramatic don't you think...many adults gain a wealth of interpersonal experiences that enriches character and leads to a full life...College is not the only place to gain those experiences...Its also an undeniable fact that many go to college earn several degrees and still come out socially dysfunctional...If kids want to secure their financial future as soon as they can, more power to them...There is absolutely no harm for most of the players...Yeah a few knuckleheads blow up thier lives...But the media focuses on the negative and never tells America the success stories of many players that leave school early or never go to college to begin with..The public buys more copy of a train wreck than the goodwill stories the players deserve to have heard...When do we as mature Americans learn to respect the freedom of others to make law abiding choices that vary from our own opinions...

I'm just saying that the decision is based solely on monetary gain. It would be nice if it weren't always about the money. I think what is best for Greg Oden tips the scales very little compared to the weight of gold.

AmonRa777
04-17-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm just saying that the decision is based solely on monetary gain. It would be nice if it weren't always about the money. I think what is best for Greg Oden tips the scales very little compared to the weight of gold.

I totally agree with those sentiments...Oden having a choice at financial security for generations to come of his family is no light thing...Its totally a choice for Greg and his family...I just wish we all could respect his right to choose...Most of the people wanting him to forego the draft are Ohio St basketball fans....

Sebastien447
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with those sentiments...Oden having a choice at financial security for generations to come of his family is no light thing...Its totally a choice for Greg and his family...I just wish we all could respect his right to choose...Most of the people wanting him to forego the draft are Ohio St basketball fans....

Not me, I can't stand Ohio State! Ick! :goofyeyes: