PDA

View Full Version : Time Zones & Date Formats

PeterSkan
04-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Just an FYI ...

Although Saskatchewan [Canada] has its own time zone, it is not listed among the time zone options in the CP drop down menu. This is not surprising, although I have seen some sites where it is separately listed.

The anomaly comes because Saskatchewan [with the exception of a few border communities, like Lloydminster] does not invoke DST. i.e. our clocks do not change: they nether spring forward nor fall backward.

It is a matter of some controversy here, at least propogated by a number of pundits who claim that, somehow, we are unwittingly forsaking more hours of daylight as a result.

This is, of course, nonsense. The only question is whether it is preferable to buy more hours of light in the evening at the expense of light in the early morning. As it turns out [in a geo-literal sense] the province just happen to be geographically positioned so that we already do get substantial evening light in the warmest part of the year - there is still ambient sunlight past 11:00 p.m. in late June, for example.

The bottom line is that for half of the year we are an hour's difference from Eastern Daylight time, and the other half of the year we are two hours difference.

The poor buggers who religiously tape their favourite TV shows have to reprogram their devices accordingly. Or those who rely on Conan to fall asleep are that much more bleary eyed at work the next day this time of year.

mrjiggyfly2
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I was not aware of that.

PeterSkan
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
As to date formats ...

I myself prefer the alphanumeric modes [e.g. 06-Apr-2007] to straight numerical modes [e.g. 06-04-2007]. With the numerical modes, when looking at a past date you may not be able to discern the difference between day-month-year and month-day-year options.

Since I don't see an option on the CP to customize date formats, I'm assuming they're a given for the site.

Just thought I'd mention this anyway.

PeterSkan
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Just an FYI ...

Although Saskatchewan [Canada] has its own time zone, it is not listed among the time zone options in the CP drop down menu. This is not surprising, although I have seen some sites where it is separately listed.

The anomaly comes because Saskatchewan [with the exception of a few border communities, like Lloydminster] does not invoke DST. i.e. our clocks do not change: they nether spring forward nor fall backward.

It is a matter of some controversy here, at least propogated by a number of pundits who claim that, somehow, we are unwittingly forsaking more hours of daylight as a result.

This is, of course, nonsense. The only question is whether it is preferable to buy more hours of light in the evening at the expense of light in the early morning. As it turns out [in a geo-literal sense] the province just happen to be geographically positioned so that we already do get substantial evening light in the warmest part of the year - there is still ambient sunlight past 11:00 p.m. in late June, for example.

The bottom line is that for half of the year we are an hour's difference from Eastern Daylight time, and the other half of the year we are two hours difference.

The poor buggers who religiously tape their favourite TV shows have to reprogram their devices accordingly. Or those who rely on Conan to fall asleep are that much more bleary eyed at work the next day this time of year.

I have two brothers who live in British Columbia , one on the Northwest and the other in the Southeast. The Rockies split the province and they reside on opposite sides of the divide. Last summer I drove from bro P in the NW to bro J in the SE. It took over 16 hours, and the most expeditious route was to sidle into Alberta for a while and travel down the Icefield express between Jasper and Banff [an amazing experience in itself].

What I didn't know is that the SE corner of the province operates on Alberta [Mountain time], not the Pacific time I started out on, so I wound up arriving at 3:30 a.m. instead of 2:30 a.m.

Bro J says the rest of the world hasn't figured this out either, and material printed outside of their communities habitually times things incorrectly.