PDA

View Full Version : Resolving Disputes

PeterSkan
02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
It's so easy for misunderstandings to arise in these forums. Even with the best of emoticons, it is still very difficult to convey the level of nuance, tonal inflection, facial expression, etc, that characterizes face-to-face interaction. The time lag between exchanges complicates matters, and there are diminished opportunities to check assumptions.

It's therefore completely understandable that differences will arise that may not be grounded in a correct reading of the intentions of the parties in question. On the other hand, differences can well arise that are both intended and acrimonious.

What concerns me is when a thread devoted to a particular subject suddenly gets hijacked by such squabbling. Now I readily admit that I've hijacked threads before with other objectives in mind, but I also recognize the right of the Moderator to take me to task or his right to move the posts.

As a case in point, I'm sorry to see that Slide Into Paris thread get sidetracked by a dispute between two regular posters.

Perhaps TAT needs a Rumpus Room. The posts in question could be moved [or copied to another location and deleted from the original thread] while they await a mediated outcome.

I hate to see us lose interesting and enthusiastic members. It's happened before, and I hate to think TAT hasn't learned from that.

I'm not saying that TAT needs to bolster its "Club Mentality" - the 'group hug' syndrome at TAT is one of the least appealing phenomena here, to my way of thinking. I'm just suggesting that these kind of incidents be managed in a way that minimizes impact on the dynamics of the threads themselves.

Thanks for listening.

Kirkus
02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Good remarks, Peter. And the suggestion of moving the "off-topic" posts was a good one... I've done so.

The only thing I'd like to clarify would be this:

I hate to see us lose interesting and enthusiastic members. It's happened before, and I hate to think TAT hasn't learned from that.

The few members that we've lost under suspicious circumstances were BillVFW and PJVA. Bill went on an unprecidented post removal spree then asked me to eliminate all remaining proof that he'd ever been here -- without any explanation.

When PJ deleted her account, I tried over a period of weeks, via email and TOB, to get a response from her as to why. My attempts were ignored.

Other members who have seemed to vanish have done so for understandable reasons, school, work, etc.

I've not allowed one member to leave without attempting to learn what I could have done to rectify any problem they may have experienced.

Doll_Face
02-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Admittedly, we have encouraged people of all kinds to post on this forum, and nothing has changed. If they are young or old, yellow or orange, liberal or conservative ... TAT is the place to let it out. Our credo believes in that, and we actively demonstrate our credo everyday ... real people Talking About Tennis.

We are a start-up community. TAT has a thoughtful Owner who is our Administrator, and two posters he found worthly to appoint as his Global Moderators. I am one of them and I'm proud he chose me. I am honored to promote this diversified community of dedicated tennis lovers. Above all else, we are tennis lovers ~ The Good Lord knows, the world needs more tennis lovers. [smiley=yes.gif]

So, if there is a disagreement or problem ... we're not going anywhere. Put it on the table and we'll debate or converse as civil adults. That's what we encourage, and that's what we do. If you want to add something personal into the mix ... we can do that too, ergo instant messages, email addresses and our TAT Chat.

WE are loving community and we want ALL to share. My job as a Global Moderator is to insure we protect ALL. Please feel comfortable here. :-*

Your Official,

Doll

[smiley=gorgeous.gif]

Sebastien447
02-11-2006, 02:58 PM
if there is a disagreement or problem ... we're not going anywhere. Put it on the table and we'll debate or converse as civil adults. That's what we encourage, and that's what we do. If you want to add something personal into the mix ... we can do that too, ergo instant messages, email addresses and our TAT Chat.

now you're makin sense dolly ... if you noticed, it was Jelisabeta who became abusive, not me. I don't do that.

Conflict has always sent TAT into a whirl, because of it's harmonious nature. But I don't think there's anything so terrible about a little conflict ... it is in our human nature. The best course of action is to deal with any conflicts in a civilized manner, as doll said. The worst we can do is to fly off the handle with abusive language and name calling, as Jelisabeta did.

PeterSkan
02-13-2006, 09:51 AM
if there is a disagreement or problem ... we're not going anywhere. Put it on the table and we'll debate or converse as civil adults. That's what we encourage, and that's what we do. If you want to add something personal into the mix ... we can do that too, ergo instant messages, email addresses and our TAT Chat.

now you're makin sense dolly ... if you noticed, it was Jelisabeta who became abusive, not me. I don't do that.

Conflict has always sent TAT into a whirl, because of it's harmonious nature. But I don't think there's anything so terrible about a little conflict ... it is in our human nature. The best course of action is to deal with any conflicts in a civilized manner, as doll said. The worst we can do is to fly off the handle with abusive language and name calling, as Jelisabeta did.

I can think of worse courses of action.

PeterSkan
02-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Good remarks, Peter. And the suggestion of moving the "off-topic" posts was a good one... I've done so.

The only thing I'd like to clarify would be this:

The few members that we've lost under suspicious circumstances were BillVFW and PJVA. Bill went on an unprecidented post removal spree then asked me to eliminate all remaining proof that he'd ever been here -- without any explanation.

When PJ deleted her account, I tried over a period of weeks, via email and TOB, to get a response from her as to why. My attempts were ignored.

Other members who have seemed to vanish have done so for understandable reasons, school, work, etc.

I've not allowed one member to leave without attempting to learn what I could have done to rectify any problem they may have experienced.

Thank you for your well considered remarks. TAT is in good hands.

PeterSkan
02-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Admittedly, we have encouraged people of all kinds to post on this forum, and nothing has changed. If they are young or old, yellow or orange, liberal or conservative ... TAT is the place to let it out. Our credo believes in that, and we actively demonstrate our credo everyday ... real people Talking About Tennis.

We are a start-up community. TAT has a thoughtful Owner who is our Administrator, and two posters he found worthly to appoint as his Global Moderators. I am one of them and I'm proud he chose me. I am honored to promote this diversified community of dedicated tennis lovers. Above all else, we are tennis lovers ~ The Good Lord knows, the world needs more tennis lovers. [smiley=yes.gif]

So, if there is a disagreement or problem ... we're not going anywhere. Put it on the table and we'll debate or converse as civil adults. That's what we encourage, and that's what we do. If you want to add something personal into the mix ... we can do that too, ergo instant messages, email addresses and our TAT Chat.

WE are loving community and we want ALL to share. My job as a Global Moderator is to insure we protect ALL. Please feel comfortable here. :-*

Your Official,

Doll

[smiley=gorgeous.gif]

I will presume to speak on behalf of the membership to thank you, Doll, for this extremely well articulated perspective. It reveals kirkus' wisdom in recruiting you for this service.

Keep up the good work

*PeterSkan nominates Doll's entry as post of the year and submits the nomination to the review panel*

Doll_Face
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Your Official,

Doll

[smiley=gorgeous.gif]

I will presume to speak on behalf of the membership to thank you, Doll, for this extremely well articulated perspective. It reveals kirkus' wisdom in recruiting you for this service.

Keep up the good work

*PeterSkan nominates Doll's entry as post of the year and submits the nomination to the review panel*

[smiley=bowing.gif]

LOL

Jidkova_Fan
02-13-2006, 05:18 PM
As a fairly new member, I hesitate to post on this thread.

From my point of view - I've found TAT a very friendly forum, with good people, who share with me a love of tennis.

Sure, we disagree on things, but without that, it would be sooo boring.

If people have to argue- then lets argue about tennis - which is why we're all here.

( btw - planning to tank in the 1st round of Paris to get a dance with The Doll 8-) )

Doll_Face
02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
( btw - planning to tank in the 1st round of Paris to get a dance with The Doll 8-) )

I'm pleased to know that you are a male :P

Start practicing your dance steps!

[smiley=engel017.gif]

Jidkova_Fan
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
*begins practice* 8-)

Unfortunately, have Rusedski style footwork on the red clay ::)

But I guess that doesn't matter, and it shouldn't.

What should matter is we all love tennis, and this is a fun place to share our thoughts.

(and I still want to claim a dance with The Doll :D )