PDA

View Full Version : Login Default

PeterSkan
04-08-2006, 07:59 AM
If you are just guesting at TAT, i.e. reading the threads but not logged in, and then get inspired to contribute to a thread and therefore login, the post log-in page is the home page, not your last page. Sorry, Kirkus, I find that annoying, since I then have to wind my way back to the page in question - and TAT is still a bit on the slow side.

I'm wincing even to say it, but on TOB when you login you remain at your last page visit. I find this to be a beneficial feature.

Just a friendly observation.

Kirkus
04-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I see how that could be a bit inconvenient. There a couple things you can do.

When you login, you can us the pull down menu next to the username and password fields "Logged in for:" and select Keeps. Then everytime you come back to TAT, you'll already be logged in. When you're logged in for "Keeps", you don't show in the "Users on line" on the main page unless you're actually here. Once you leave, your name is purged from "Users on line" after 5 minutes.

Another creative work around, when you find something you want to reply to but aren't logged in, would be to right-click on the login link and open it in a new window (taking you to the home page). Go ahead and login then close that window. That will leave the window with the thread you want to reply to... refresh that page and you'll be logged in and able to reply.

I haven't noticed a speed issue since our last move. I think TOB might be a little faster simply because it's a bare-bones system.

PeterSkan
04-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I see how that could be a bit inconvenient. There a couple things you can do.

When you login, you can us the pull down menu next to the username and password fields "Logged in for:" and select Keeps. Then everytime you come back to TAT, you'll already be logged in. When you're logged in for "Keeps", you don't show in the "Users on line" on the main page unless you're actually here. Once you leave, your name is purged from "Users on line" after 5 minutes.

Another creative work around, when you find something you want to reply to but aren't logged in, would be to right-click on the login link and open it in a new window (taking you to the home page). Go ahead and login then close that window. That will leave the window with the thread you want to reply to... refresh that page and you'll be logged in and able to reply.

I haven't noticed a speed issue since our last move. I think TOB might be a little faster simply because it's a bare-bones system.

Great advice - thanks. Here's a related one: Sup[pose I'm logged in, but not for keeps, but then leave the site without logging off. Am I then purged from the Users On Line list? Llike today, for example, that's what happened, and when I returned to the site I was still logged in.

I haven't expressed the question very well, but do you understand what I'm getting at?

Mostly I'm concerned about people thinking I'm ignoring them if it appears I'm on-line when I'm really not.

Kirkus
04-08-2006, 02:18 PM
That's an easy one. If TAT isn't open in a browser window on your computer, the "Users Online" doesn't list you, unless it's within 5 minutes of when you left.

PeterSkan
04-08-2006, 04:19 PM
That's an easy one. If TAT isn't open in a browser window on your computer, the "Users Online" doesn't list you, unless it's within 5 minutes of when you left.

OK - I followed your right click option and it worked perfectly. Next question: Can I stay logged in for keeps on my home computer as well as on my work computer? Not that I *ever* log in to non-work related sites when I am at the office, ahem, but - you know, theoretically speaking ... say, um, if I was at the office on the weekend, like now?

Kirkus
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Now that's a good question. I know I can and do. But when I switch computers I have to click on a link, "Update Session" and enter my password because I'm on from a different IP address.

TAT recognizes me from my "keeps", but won't let me do any administrating or moderating stuff until I update the session.

I don't know if it works the same for members or moderators.

But I'll find out.