PDA

View Full Version : Membership time limits (From Split)

PeterSkan
05-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I see we just lopped off 22 members or so. I'm not saying this was not the right thing to do - I'm not in a position to make that judgment [at least I don't think I am], but the timing did strike me as little odd in view of this thread having just been started.

I guess I'm just saying maybe we need to start by getting the current membership to be more active, instead of deleting them for [I'm admittedly presuming here] inactivity. Maybe they were just waiting for the FO to spring back into action?

Just a thought.

Sebastien447
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
I see we just lopped off 22 members or so. I'm not saying this was not the right thing to do - I'm not in a position to make that judgment [at least I don't think I am], but the timing did strike me as little odd in view of this thread having just been started.

I guess I'm just saying maybe we need to start by getting the current membership to be more active, instead of deleting them for [I'm admittedly presuming here] inactivity. Maybe they were just waiting for the FO to spring back into action?

Just a thought.

I agree Peter. Why worry about it. If they're inactive, then they're inactive. Maybe they'll remember about TAT a year from now and be happy to see their handle still here.

What's the big deal if we have a bloated member list. More looks better anyway.

Kirkus
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Just a thought.

You're in the position to make any judgement (unless it has something to do with my bald head). The majority of decisions are made by TAT's members, or at the very least, TAT's staff.

I did lob off exactly 22 members the other day. These weren't simply inactive members, tho'. But rather non-active members... with a post count of zero. And none had logged in for more than 30 days. This means they didn't play in the Aussie Open Suicide Pool and haven't even logged in to read the boards.

It takes long enough to backup our boards without backing up a padded memberlist at the same time.

There is reason behind the madness.

Kirkus
05-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Just a thought.

I agree Peter. Why worry about it. If they're inactive, then they're inactive. Maybe they'll remember about TAT a year from now and be happy to see their handle still here.

So where was this opinion the many times we discussed it?

Kirkus
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm certainly up to reopening this discussion. We've never really come to any kind of concensus on it. I think it's been pretty much a non-issue.

The last I remember (and what I think has been done for over a year) is we delete non-active memberships after 30 days and inactive after a year (this last part I think is new). Charter Members are never deleted.

I'll be honest... I've never liked keeping the list artificially padded by non-active members. I think it's a bit deceiving. We get a new member who joins because we have 200 members and "Boy, this place must be hoppin' all the time". Then a week later, "Jesus! There's really only 10 people who post on that board."

Plus, you have the guy who comes back after joining 3 months ago and can't remember his password so he just rejoins because it's easier.

In my opinion, we are what we are and I'm not ashamed of it.

Discussions like this start off like wild fire with a lot of people sharing their opinion. And that's great! The way it should be, but then the discussion gets lost amounst all the new threads that come along and they're never picked up again. So I go about doing it the way I want to.

Having said that... this subject is soooooo open to discussion. But if we're going to reach a decision, let's do it.

Sebastien447
05-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Just a thought.

So where was this opinion the many times we discussed it?

You lopped off sweetums! She was going to play the FOSP.

So I guess I've seen things from her perspective. She hasn't had time to post, but was planning on doing so. And she was a bit thrown about being deleted.

Kirkus
05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Damn! She got caught up in my dragnet.

Of course she can play! My question is when do we get a pic for the Member's Photos page? Hmmmmmmmm?

Hey D. Sorry I deleted your membership. :-[

SpiceMan
05-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, I am still a member, haven't forgotten my password and will be back for the FO contest...

Sebastien447
05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Damn! She got caught up in my dragnet.

Of course she can play! My question is when do we get a pic for the Member's Photos page? Hmmmmmmmm?

Hey D. Sorry I deleted your membership. :-[

I'll let her field that, but it may be a while :-/

She's one of those people who aren't content unless every last minute of the day is filled.

I'm trying to teach her to relax.

SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH ;D

Kirkus
05-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, I am still a member, haven't forgotten my password and will be back for the FO contest...

Only zero posters, my friend. You're a member of the family here.

Kirkus
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Discussions like this start off like wild fire with a lot of people sharing their opinion. And that's great! The way it should be, but then the discussion gets lost amounst all the new threads that come along and they're never picked up again. So I go about doing it the way I want to.

Having said that... this subject is soooooo open to discussion. But if we're going to reach a decision, let's do it.

And apparently the discussion has already died. So I'll just keep doing what I think is best.

catz33
05-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Kirkus,

I think you are doing a wonderful job with this board and will tend to always lean towards the direction you choose.

I got a good laugh over "sweetums" being deleted. While I feel she deserves a medal for putting up with Sebers ;D, I think her fingers need to do some walkin and say Cheers. We will keep her busy ;)