PDA

View Full Version : An idea: http://www.frappr.com/talkabouttennis

sblanc
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I've been having fun discovering TAT and all its threads, skulking around evesdropping, checking out Sebastien's Living Room, reading all Catz posted (scary,serious stuff) and especially marvelling at the fact that we're scattered on the globe and able to communicate.
And I thought it would be nice to have a world map showing the location of the different members. I don't have the know-how to do it, if you think this is a good idea and are computer savvy, maybe someone can come up with a map where each member who wants too can put in his location.
Just an idea.

shtexas
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Neat idea. But, is it do-able?

Kirkus
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Neat idea. But, is it do-able?
It's do-able. The real question is how many will participate? I think the majority of our members prefer to remain completey anonymous.

We have very few photos of our members and the majority of them hide their email address in their profile. Many even hide their gender.

Although I love the idea and would participate, I doubt many of our members will want where they live published in such a public manner.

cphsrsh
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, it is, shtexas. :)

Please go to http://www.frappr.com/talkabouttennis and register yourself on the map.

It may appear slow on some computers. It is a bit too resource-heavy for my taste, but as of right now, it was the only option I could find. If someone has an easier way, please let me know.

So mark your territory, mates!

cphsrsh
08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Talk about eerie.. A simultaneous post!

Well, Kirkus, I don't think anyone will go hunt someone if he/she knew where someone lived. However, if someone knows your e-mail address, you could be sent spam mail.

I'm a bit too paranoid to put a picture of myself, but have no problem saying where I live.

Kirkus
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Well. Ask and you shall receive!

Nice one, cphsrsh. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I don't have a clue what any of that is, but I'm on the map. :)

Danielle
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Well. Ask and you shall receive!

LOL. No kidding, that was fast - thanks cphsrsh! :D

Darcy
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm in! Cool. 8-)

Sebastien447
08-08-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm up in Oregon ... Lake Oswego to be specific ... and I don't care who knows! If you want me ...

COME AND GET ME!

:P

cphsrsh
08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm sorry Darcy, but it seems you are a loner. :-/

West Coast Rules! [smiley=yahoo.gif] I'm just kidding.. ;)

sblanc
08-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Good work cphsrsh (what have you got against vowels?) after a frustrating 10 minutes I finally managed to get onto the map. I also tried to put a link to the site in the topic header but dont want to steal your thunder.

I have to say I had second thoughts about this locating onself thing as I live in France. But then knowing that anybody who likes tennis :P is basically a well-balanced, easy going, decent, respectful, "happy in their skin", human being, I gathered my courage and posted where I am.
Still shall like to make a few things clear. I have an australian mother, indian father, swiss husband, and when they are turn 18 french sons. So citizen of the world what.

GVGirl
08-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Ok, you know where I am now-right next to NYC.

cphsrsh
08-09-2006, 05:32 AM
First of all, a big thanks to sblanc for coming up with a great idea. I'd never thought about this kind of thing at all.

And thanks to everyone who's joined so far. I hope more people will feel safe about registering themselves on the map. It's going to look great when we have 50-60 people on the map. Perhaps even more.

sblanc : I appreciate you mustering up your courage to register. Yes, I had my doubts and fears about doing it at first as well, but I think it's safer than one might first think. You truly are a cosmopolitan! You've got to be one of the most genetically-diverse people ever. And please feel free to post the link in the topic header ; I think more people will recognize it. And for your information, I never buy vowels on Wheel of Fortune.

Sebastien447
08-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Good work cphsrsh (what have you got against vowels?) after a frustrating 10 minutes I finally managed to get onto the map. I also tried to put a link to the site in the topic header but dont want to steal your thunder.

I have to say I had second thoughts about this locating onself thing as I live in France. But then knowing that anybody who likes tennis :P is basically a well-balanced, easy going, decent, respectful, "happy in their skin", human being, I gathered my courage and posted where I am.
Still shall like to make a few things clear. I have an australian mother, indian father, swiss husband, and when they are turn 18 french sons. So citizen of the world what.

J'aime bien les francais!

sblanc
08-10-2006, 02:22 PM

J'aime bien les francais!

Merci cher ami,
but I'll stick with the Anglais as it is impolite to speak french in english speaking company ;D ( plus- its not as good as my English, the french grammer slays me!)

PeterSkan
08-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I put myself on the map. I love maps! I'm very impressed at how fast this went up. Well done and thanks for the innovation.

PeterSkan
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Do we need a link from the members page? Or the home page? Can you link to your avatar? Or to your member photo?

cphsrsh
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Do we need a link from the members page? Or the home page? Can you link to your avatar? Or to your member photo?
Thanks for the compliment, PeterSkan. I will investigate this matter after I return home from the library.
As of right now, I think all of the things you said are capable.

Danielle
08-11-2006, 11:39 AM
cphsrsh - Just saw that Roger "I'm sorry I'm so good" picture you posted on our frappr page. Love it!!

cphsrsh
08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
cphsrsh - Just saw that Roger "I'm sorry I'm so good" picture you posted on our frappr page. Love it!!
;D I love it, too. Don't worry Kirkus, I'll add some photos of Roddick looking exactly like Stifler from American Pie.

Kirkus
08-11-2006, 02:37 PM
;D I love it, too. Don't worry Kirkus, I'll add some photos of Roddick looking exactly like Stifler from American Pie.
I'm not worried.

Jidkova_Fan
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
This is a cool idea :D

Just added myself!

mrjiggyfly2
08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, it is, shtexas. :)

Please go to http://www.frappr.com/talkabouttennis and register yourself on the map.

It may appear slow on some computers. It is a bit too resource-heavy for my taste, but as of right now, it was the only option I could find. If someone has an easier way, please let me know.

So mark your territory, mates!

I marked my territory. I promise I didn't lift my leg ;). I was just in Palo Alto on Mon. My girlfriend and I ate at Miyaki (spelling may be off). Palo Alto is outastanding!

cphsrsh
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I marked my territory. I promise I didn't lift my leg ;). I was just in Palo Alto on Mon. My girlfriend and I ate at Miyaki (spelling may be off). Palo Alto is outastanding!

mrjiggyfly2, Palo Alto is a great place to live. But you should check out how much an apartment room with 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom costs around here. It's freaking ridiculous.

But if I make enough money later in my life, I'd do anything to send my kids to school here. It's an excellent system.

jjnow
10-22-2006, 01:36 PM
A little late, but I added myself.

jj

mmmm8
10-22-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't know about this! I added myself too :)

The satellite version of the map is pretty cool

Kirkus
10-22-2006, 02:27 PM
I didn't know about this! I added myself too :)

The satellite version of the map is pretty cool

The Frappr map is a great idea, and I dropped the ball on making sure members know about it. I had every intention of adding it to our link bars above then got wrapped up in the new stuff I'm working on and never did so. It'll be more visible on TATv3.