PDA

View Full Version : Do You Play Tennis?

PeterSkan
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I was surprised to see that the answer to this question on so many of the poster profiles here is "No".

then I looked at my profile. And, to my surprise, it too said "No".

So I changed that on my profile.

I was kind of hoping for a few other options besides Yes/No. Like, maybe ...

"Of course"

"Well, D'uh!"

etc.

It just seems funny to me that the default response on this reference is "No".

mrjiggyfly2
11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
I was surprised to see that the answer to this question on so many of the poster profiles here is "No".

"Of course"

"Well, D'uh!"

etc.

I used to play competetively through college. a bad knee has kept me from making a comeback--i could not get all that on the profile... ;D

hurricanejeanne
11-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I do. I've only been playing for a couple of years and I just mainly play with my sister and if I get better (and stay healthy) I may join a club.

I've had a nasty case of tendonitis in my left bicep since August. It's getting better but it's still worrisome.
Hopefully in January I'll be able to buy some new stuff (demo some new rackets). :)

Kirkus
11-29-2006, 08:49 PM

"Of course"

"Well, D'uh!"

etc.

I think I have that fixed now.

Jay
11-29-2006, 08:54 PM
I do. Though, i don't play as often as i used to (I used to play 4 days a week). My left wrist was sprained last month whilst skateboarding (i haven't skated in a few years, so i decided to do it that one day..i regret it badly.)
I couldn't play for a few weeks, but i started playing again this past weekend. I mostly play with my nephew (who is only 2 years younger than me, by the way) and with a couple of friends (who all play for my college). I think, during the spring semester, i'm going to start playing for the school. Or, the very least, get a competitive tennis class.

shtexas
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I had answered no because currently I don't. But, I did up until about 4 years ago. Now, I'll leave it as unanswered, since we can't explain.

Sebastien447
11-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I played a lot. Then quit for 20 years. Now I play again.

The difference ... NOW I have fun!

owendonovan
11-30-2006, 07:15 AM
I don't play as much as I would like to, I ve never competed in tennis, but I consider myself competitive. I've never taken a lesson either, but after about 20 years I'm pretty good. There's nothing like getting hold of a ball right where and when you want it and sending it screaming back within an inch of the line. Very satisfying.

morct
11-30-2006, 08:11 AM
I played in school and then played for fun on and off. Last year my 7 year old started classes so I started just hitting the ball with her. And now I have joined our local club and am playing once/twice a week and love it again! ;D

Aton
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
I had to change my profile too. I play as much as my knees can take. I'm lucky that Atlanta has a strong tennis community and down here it's as much about socializing as it is about playing the game.

dryrunguy
11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
I have never played... Only held a racquet in my hand about two times, and that was when I was a little kid. So I'm probably one of the very few real "no"s on this board. Always wanted to learn, though. There's a tennis court about 4 miles from my house at the school. Unfortunately, it looks like it's been hit by a roadside bomb.

Dry

oploskoffie
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
I used to play now and again, but having great insight didn't make me a great player. Truth be told: I sucked. My serve was like a WMD going in all directions. Very hard, but no direction :P The timing on both my fore- and backhand was so far off I'd sometimes hit air... Maybe it was a good thing my body gave up on me ;D

mrjiggyfly2
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I used to play now and again, but having great insight didn't make me a great player. Truth be told: I sucked. My serve was like a WMD going in all directions. Very hard, but no direction :P The timing on both my fore- and backhand was so far off I'd sometimes hit air... Maybe it was a good thing my body gave up on me ;D

Sounds like a good thing for all Mr. Koffie. But at least your serve was hard. That's more than I could say for my serve back when I played. The guy on the other side of the net had time to have a cup of coffee between the time i hit the ball and the time it got to him.

jjnow
12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
There is an interesting psychology to serving. In school, I would practice and could hit my serve relatively well. But when the time came to play a match, if it went off for just one DF, I sliced it in every time. Funny thing is, I never thought about it until all was done. It must be the most insecure shot of all.

The last time I played was at the public park in September. These two guys taught me how to play "Australian Doubles." I'd never even heard of it. Basically three people playing doubles. Pretty cool stuff.

jj

Jay
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
There is an interesting psychology to serving. In school, I would practice and could hit my serve relatively well. But when the time came to play a match, if it went off for just one DF, I sliced it in every time. Funny thing is, I never thought about it until all was done. It must be the most insecure shot of all.

The last time I played was at the public park in September. These two guys taught me how to play "Australian Doubles." I'd never even heard of it. Basically three people playing doubles. Pretty cool stuff.

jj

Australian Doubles sounds fun...but i'd be afraid i'd hit someone while serving (i serve like Dementieva, but if she was on crack)

Aton
12-04-2006, 07:43 AM

The last time I played was at the public park in September. These two guys taught me how to play"Australian Doubles". I'd never even heard of it. Basically three people playing doubles. Pretty cool stuff.

jj

I used to play that alot as a kid because 3 ppl were about the most we could scare up for tennis but we called it Canadian doubles (I guess our Northern neighbors have an even harder time finding a fourth). Australian doubles is when the players on the serving side start the point in 'I' formation so the returner has a hard time hitting through the middle or crosscourt. I use that formation fairly often nowadays because against inexperienced teams who aren't used to hitting up the line it's good for lots of free points.

jjnow
12-04-2006, 12:08 PM

The last time I played was at the public park in September. These two guys taught me how to play"Australian Doubles". I'd never even heard of it. Basically three people playing doubles. Pretty cool stuff.

jj

I used to play that alot as a kid because 3 ppl were about the most we could scare up for tennis but we called it Canadian doubles (I guess our Northern neighbors have an even harder time finding a fourth). Australian doubles is when the players on the serving side start the point in 'I' formation so the returner has a hard time hitting through the middle or crosscourt. I use that formation fairly often nowadays because against inexperienced teams who aren't used to hitting up the line it's good for lots of free points.
I need to brush up on the rules of doubles, Aton. Maybe they were just confused about what they were calling it? Eh, IDK. If it's really called Canadian doubles, then Canadian doubles was fun. ;D

jj

Aton
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM

jj

I need to brush up on the rules of doubles, Aton. Maybe they were just confused about what they were calling it? Eh, IDK. If it's really called Canadian doubles, then Canadian doubles was fun. ;D

jj

Funny enough, jj, on Tuesday I went to practice and there was a guy at the center who grew up in Canada. I asked him about the doubles thing and he said that in Canada they call it Australian doubles and he'd heard that the Aussies call it American doubles. Well I came home, Googled it and sure enough that's what Wikipedia said also. So I guess what you call it depends on where you grew up.

jjnow
12-08-2006, 02:14 PM

jj

jj

Funny enough, jj, on Tuesday I went to practice and there was a guy at the center who grew up in Canada. I asked him about the doubles thing and he said that in Canada they call it Australian doubles and he'd heard that the Aussies call it American doubles. Well I came home, Googled it and sure enough that's what Wikipedia said also. So I guess what you call it depends on where you grew up.
Very interesting, Aton. I guess I'll just keep calling it Australian doubles since it has about three names.

jj