PDA

View Full Version : Official PeterSkan 2007 AO Contest

PeterSkan
01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
What else can I call it? A lesser light among the TAT powerhouses, relegated to "Other Contests" and working out of my dumpster.

Aha - but there is a prize!! As my many previous winners will attest: Craig, Madd, TennisFan, Muscarine, Doublefault, to name a few!

Here's the poop:

Enter your team in this thread!

Important: if you edit your team, please do not edit your original message; rather, post the revison as a seperate message in this thread.

Here are the rules:

1. The contest winner will be the poster whose registered team earns the highest number of points as of the conclusion of the tournament. He or she will be entitled to a modest prize of my choice from The Royal Canadian Mint. [no kidding]

2. Valid entries consist of a team of 6 players [3 men and 3 women] all of whom must be included in the official tournament draw.

3. 1 of the 6 players [either male or female] must be outside the top 10 seeds, as seeded in the tournament.

4. The order of your 6-named players is the most important factor in naming your team. It represents the seeding of your players for purposes of earning domination points.

5. You cannot name a team consisting of the same players in the same order as a team already entered. However, you can enter a team consisting of the same players as another team, provided those players are in a different order.

6. 1 Entry per Person

7. You may change the composition of your team ONCE ONLY [new rule to maintain my sanity] up to the start of play, after which there can be no further changes. Any changes you make must not result in duplicating someone else's entry.

8. Assign a name to your team. If you fail to do so, your team will be named after your posting handle [e.g. Team perseus61]. The team names will be evaluated by an independent panel, and their rating of the best team names will be announced following the tournament .

Note -

In general, I'll accept an entry from anyone who has played before. It will be difficult to accommodate more than 100 entries, so get them in early.

As Contest Administrator, I will abstain from participating. I will arbitrate any disputes, grievances, questions of eligibility, etc.

[b]SCORING

I won't bore you with all the details of the scoring here. Suffice to say that you will earn the following types of points:

1. Domination Points:

These are based on how soundly your players beat their opponents. A key factor in calculating these points is how high you have seeded them on your team. For example, if you seed Clijsters 2nd on your team and she beats Tanasugarn 6-0 6-0, you will get 60 points; however, if you seeded Clijsters 5th on your team, you will only get 24points. On the other hand, if your player loses, you will lose the corresponding number of points. Also, no winning player will be penalized for losing more games than their opponent. In such cases the default is 0 points

2. Progression Points

You get additional points whenever your players advance to the next round [10 for round 1, 20 for round 2, 30 for round 3, 50 for round 4, etc.]

3. Quality Points

You get further points when your player defeats an opponent who is seeded in the tournament. The number of points is based on how highly the opponent is seeded. For example, if you pick Federer and he defeats the 20th seed, you get 13 points [33 - 20].

Good luck to all contestants

mmmm8
01-09-2007, 05:41 PM
You are doing it!!!! Yay!

PeterSkan
01-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Thank you to Kirkus and the TAT team for letting me run this here. I am also accepting entries from ESPN posters, but the detail of the results will be housed here.

After all, this is where my dumpster is!

Kirkus
01-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Thank you to Kirkus and the TAT team for letting me run this here. I am also accepting entries from ESPN posters, but the detail of the results will be housed here.

Do you want a special board for this, Peter? I have no problem setting it up for you.

Also, be careful about linking to TAT from ESPN. They're deleting those threads and in some cases banning members for doing it.

bea26
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM

I love that you've made the dumpster your home. Hopefully you'll make it your place of business too, Amy Frazier has NOT been earning me what she used to.

Anyone know when the seeds are announced? I always jump the gun and my non-top tenner ends up in the top ten.

Jay
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
and I thought you were gonna let me do it..ugh. :'( :-/

meh..it's okay..i'm glad that you finally made a choice though. ;D

Nice to see that you're actually gonna run the contest! :D ;D :)

PeterSkan
01-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Do you want a special board for this, Peter? I have no problem setting it up for you.

Also, be careful about linking to TAT from ESPN. They're deleting those threads and in some cases banning members for doing it.

yeah - I figured that .. so I made a cryptic reference over there about over here

heheheh

A special board sounds tempting, but what am I gonna do if all 450 or so members sign up. So maybe it's better this way!

Thanks for asking!

PeterSkan
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Well - thanks for the offer - I really appreciate it. And I almost went that route, but it all looked even more complicated unless I just said - "fine, you do it" and then get all depressed!

Kirkus
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Okey Dokey. :)

Jay
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM

yeah - I figured that .. so I made a cryptic reference over there about over here

heheheh

A special board sounds tempting, but what am I gonna do if all 450 or so members sign up. So maybe it's better this way!

Thanks for asking!

you could let me help you...

but....

i'm just sayin'.

lolz

ur own board soudns good though Peter. You should let him make a board.

Jay
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Well - thanks for the offer - I really appreciate it. And I almost went that route, but it all looked even more complicated unless I just said - "fine, you do it" and then get all depressed!

Yeah, i understand. :-/................. :)

Moose
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone know when the seeds are announced? I always jump the gun and my non-top tenner ends up in the top ten.

Seeding should be announced tomorrow, Bea. The draw is being done Friday morning Aussie time.

But the seeding for the AO is identical to current ATP/WTA ranking...just remove any injured player, and bump up the first player outside the top 32. I made a post Sunday with the ATP seeding based on this weeks rankings. Matches played this week won't alter the seeding, as they are now locked in.

bea26
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Seeding should be announced tomorrow, Bea. The draw is being done Friday morning Aussie time.

But the seeding for the AO is identical to current ATP/WTA ranking...just remove any injured player, and bump up the first player outside the top 32. I made a post Sunday with the ATP seeding based on this weeks rankings. Matches played this week won't alter the seeding, as they are now locked in.

Thanks!

blackgirltennis
01-10-2007, 09:13 AM
When and where do we enter our team?

mrjiggyfly2
01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
When and where do we enter our team?

bgt,
enter your team in this thread before the tournament starts.

GVGirl
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Great, I'm in!

bea26
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Lindsay's Placeholders

1. Federer
2. Sharapova
3. Clijsters
4. Jankovic
5. Roddick
6. Blake

Jack
01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Jack's Hacks
1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Jankovic
6. Roddick

didgeridoo33
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AzZ in YO faCe-

1. Sharapova
2. Federer
3. Jankovic
4. Clijsters
5. Safin
6. Murray

http://pukashell.net/jade/photos/9months/images/jade912.jpg

:)

bea26
01-11-2007, 05:18 PM
LOL.

Foxykhat
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Subject to change

The AUSMATICS

Federer
Clijsters
Sharapova
Nadal
Blake
Serena (Yeah it's a bold step but so WHAT)

Foxy

mrjiggyfly2
01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Sin City

1.Federer
2.Sharapova
3.Clijsters
4.Blake
5.Jankovic
6.Nalbandian (I can't believe I picked this jackass)

Kirkus
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Taterlamadingdongs

Fed
Pova
Roddick
Baghdatis
Kimmy
Serena (it's time)

GVGirl
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
GVGirl's Gangsters.
1 Sharapova
2 Federer
3 Clijsters
4 Roddick
5 Blake
6 Jankovic

evil_juju
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
ok this should be fun--

JUMBO JUJU's

Clijsters
Federer
Sharapova
Jankovic
Blake
Murry

jjnow
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
JJ's Team (creative, huh?)

Federer
Clijsters
Sharapova
Mauresmo
Safin
Blake

jj

aedra1119
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
This looks like an interesting contest! (I think I'm going to become a contest junkie! ;D)

Aedra's Awesome AussieO Players:

1) Federer
2) Sharapova
3) Clijsters
4) Mauresmo
5) Roddick
6) Murray

Kirkus
01-11-2007, 09:03 PM
This looks like an interesting contest! (I think I'm going to become a contest junkie! ;D)

TAT's the right place for all us contest junkies. :D

shtexas
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Odd Oz Odds:

Federer
Clijsters
Sharapova
Jankovic
Nadal
Haas

Jay
01-11-2007, 09:33 PM
While the best rest were away...

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick
6. Serena (risky, i know)

catz33
01-11-2007, 10:56 PM
The Master Swiss
Kim Clijsters
Maria Sharapova
Jelena Jankovic
Marat Safin
James Blake

Code Fuschia

morct
01-12-2007, 04:17 AM
team name: morct

Federer
Nadal
Murray
Sharapova
Clijsters
Jankovic

araminta
01-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Word Up Down Under:

Roger Federer
Kim Clijsters
Jelena Jankovic
Maria Sharapova
James Blake
Andy Roddick

Moose
01-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Team Name: The Wonderful Wizards Of Aus

Roger Federer
Kim Clijsters
James Blake
Maria Sharapova
Amelie Mauresmo
Robin Soderling

owendonovan
01-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Sheilas and Blokes
1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Roddick
4. Hingis
5. Gasquet
6. S. Williams

1st_serve
01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Shrimp on the barbie

1 Davydenko
2 Fedx
3 Maria [potty girl]
4 Jelena
5 Kim
6 Murray

::)

mrjiggyfly2
01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Sin City

1.Federer
2.Sharapova
3.Clijsters
4.Blake
5.Jankovic
6.Nalbandian (I can't believe I picked this jackass)
Time for my one pre tourney edit.
1. Federer
2. Sharapova
3. Clijsters
4. Blake
5. Jankovic
6. Berdych

TennisAnyone74
01-13-2007, 09:23 AM
"The Rebounders of Down-Underers"

1. Roger Federer
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Raphael Nadal
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. James Blake

TA

Charlie02123
01-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Decisions, decisions! It seems like almost everyone has the same top three, which I agree with, but I don't know if I should be risky and pick some different players or go with the pack and let it come down to the 4,5, and 6 picks. Hmm...

Charlie's Angels (obvious and corny, but it's my team name, so back off! :) )

1. Clijsters (If she wins, she should rack up more domination points then Federer)
2. Federer
3. Blake
4. Jankovic
5. Sharapova
6. Roddick

I think I go all or nothing on these compititions. It will either be a ridiculously high score or mediocre at best.

dryrunguy
01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I panicked when I saw araminta's picks, then I saw we DO have two players switched in our seeds. Whew! Here goes:

THE AUSSIE POSSE

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Jankovic
4. Blake
5. Sharapova
6. Roddick

Dry

Rex
01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
"Quigley Up Yonder"

1). Roger
2). Pova
3). Amelie
4). Berdych
5). Blake
6). Karolina

Peter, replaced Lleyton with James.

didgeridoo33
01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
"Quigley Up Yonder"

1). Roger
2). Pova
3). Amelie
4). Berdych
5). Lleyton
6). Karolina

Bold move (excuse the pun)! I love both Kirilenko and Sprem, so I hope whoever wins that first round match at least wins a couple more.

craighickman
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
(Mel)Bourne To Be Aces

1. Roger Federer
2. Kim Clijsters
3. James Blake
4. Andy Roddick
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. Amelie Mauresmo

edma1022
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Posting here the same as in ESPN-

The Ozzies
Federer Nadal Mauresmo Safina Djokovic Sharapova

<ed>

Jay
01-13-2007, 06:34 PM

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick
6. Mauresmo

i'm editing once before the Open starts.
The rebound gang
1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Mauresmo
4. Nadal
5. Roddick
6. Serena (i guess i'll keep her)

I hope i do'nt have it like anyone else..

and thanx Craig for reminding me..

craighickman
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick
6. Mauresmo

None of my business, I guess, but you haven't picked anyone outside of the top 10.

TennisAnyone74
01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
"The Rebounders of Down-Underers"

1. Roger Federer
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Raphael Nadal
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. James Blake

TA

I'm changing my picks! The Rebounders of Down-Underers" are as follows:

1. Roger Federer
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Nikolay Davydenko
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. James Blake

TA

TennisDude
01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Kim Clijsters
Roger Federer
Maria Sharapova
Ivan Ljubicic
Marcos Baghdatis
Nadia Petrova

mmmm8
01-13-2007, 10:13 PM
This was really hard. I'm going to go with my heart here (partially), since if I don't risk it, I'll just end up with what everyone else has anyway.

On the Rebound
1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Blake
5. Safin
6. Chakvetadze

Jay
01-14-2007, 12:37 AM

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick

1. Federer
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova
4. Nadal
5. Roddick
6. Mauresmo

None of my business, I guess, but you haven't picked anyone outside of the top 10.
oh my..i haven't..sheesh..umm ok..i'll change it..

Jay
01-14-2007, 12:39 AM
changed..sorry Peter.. :o

Rex
01-14-2007, 08:39 AM
"Quigley Up Yonder"

1). Roger
2). Pova
3). Amelie
4). Berdych
5). Lleyton
6). Karolina

Bold move (excuse the pun)! I love both Kirilenko and Sprem, so I hope whoever wins that first round match at least wins a couple more.

Karolina is just a lark selection in the hope that during the off-season she miraculously gained some mental, tennis clarity and understanding, so that she can maximize the talent she possesses, which I think is one of the best on Tour. She dictates the play and tempo of matches that I have seen. However, she simply doesn't play with discipline.

Maria K has the best looks on Tour, but her talent is less than mediocre. Talent-wise, she is not on the level of Karolina. However, Karolina will not go far because she is excessively and overly aggressive to her disadvantage, giving her opponents games through an overload of UFEs, like Venus does on many occasions, although Venus' errors occur on the lack of execution on simple plays.

Nicole would have been my third choice. But, she is still inconsistent at 18 with top-5 talent. It's only a matter of time before she gets there. Karolina, on the other hand, is nearing her prime. She is just a "hope" selection.

3mlm
01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm changing the order slightly.

Federer
Clijsters
Sharapova
Roddick
Blake
Jankovic

oploskoffie
01-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Kangaroo Leather Grip

1. Roger Federer
2. Kim Clijsters
3. Jelena Jankovic
4. Nicole Vaidisova
5. Andy Roddick
6. James Blake

jkfriedman
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
The Bad Seed(s)

1. A. Roddick
2. M. Sharapova
3. M. Hingis
4. J. Jankovic
5. M. Baghdatis
6. D. Nalbandian

[smiley=evil.gif]

Jay
01-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Kangaroo Leather Grip

1. Roger Federer
2. Kim Clijsters
3. Jelena Jankovic
4. Nicole Vaidisova
5. Andy Roddick
6. James Blake

ur team name is the best i've heard (or seen for that matter)

Jay
01-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I changed the name of my team..i hope i'm allowed to do that..

oploskoffie
01-14-2007, 02:13 PM
ur team name is the best i've heard (or seen for that matter)

;D

Thx... I had a visual ;D

PeterSkan
01-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I changed the name of my team..i hope i'm allowed to do that..

Sure. But thanks for mentioning it, since I would not have picked up on the edit of your previous post. This is your final entry:

49 the rebound gang [T: Jessie181] Federer Clijsters Mauresmo Nadal Roddick S. Williams

Should be a pretty competitive entry. Good luck.

PeterSkan
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
According to the TAT Countdown clock, the tourney has begun. Contest entries and changes are now closed.

Thanks to all 68 participants. Should be a fun event.