PDA

View Full Version : Massu-Fish

shtexas
08-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Interesting match yesterday. I now understand why Fish is just not as good a player as Andy - too many stupid errors. He can make incredible touch volleys and then miss the easiest volleys. He sets up points, and when he has the open court, he misses. It is very frustrating watching him. All due credit to Massu though.

shtexas
08-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Probably why they both have been injured a lot.

shtexas
08-23-2004, 04:31 AM
Courier's assessent during the match was that Fish should play his game on his own serve and then run Massu around on Massu's service games - which is not Fish's strength.

I felt Fish just should have played his own aggressive game all the way through (get to the net), and stop worrying about whether Massu was tiring or not. Spending so much time deciding when and whether to stay back and hit with Massu got Fish out of rhythm.

Kirkus
08-23-2004, 01:05 PM
At the risk of sounding like a loon :o ... I think some of what occured was an almost spiritual thing for Massu. He'd already helped to win Chile their first ever Gold medal earlier in the day, and it seemed that the crowd was very securily behind him. I've seen a few matches were it just seems like a supernatural thing is happening. I don't mean that as kooky as it sounds.

Sebastien447
08-25-2004, 09:18 AM
[quote] author=shtexas link=board=talk_tennis;num=1093272964;start=0#4 date=08/23/04 at 11:31:54]Courier's assessent during the match was that Fish should play his game on his own serve and then run Massu around on Massu's service games - which is not Fish's strength. [quote]

shtexas, we keep agreeing like this and the alias accusations are bound to start flying ... though not on THIS board of course :D

I really couldn't believe that Courier said that ... he simply cannot believe it! Getting away from what you do best because your opponent seems tired ???

You know what would have really made Massu feel the fatigue even more? ... LOSING POINTS! and Fish wins points by crashing the net. When Massu sees that a guy like Fish is staying back more ... he's feeling stronger every time!

shtexas
08-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Aliases - Only darlaten would accuse us of being aliases. She accuses everyone. I have not posted on the ESPN board for the last few days because every time she comes on with her paranoia, all hell breaks loose. She is the instigator.

Playing against injured or tired opponents - Although it is different, this reminded me of years ago when Krickstein got booed when playing against an injured opponent (Jay Berger) for continuing to play. He actually did the right thing. He continued to play at the same speed and play his game with absolutely no regard for the fact his opponent was clearly injured. It may have looked harsh, but as long as your opponent is still playing, you have to concentrate on winning, and not his injury or whether he will retire. Otherwise, he may just work his way through it and end up beating you.