PDA

View Full Version : Venus & Serena v. Capriati

shtexas
08-27-2004, 07:15 AM
I am going to get myself into trouble over on ESPN by even comparing their styles of play. Oh, what the hell. Who cares?

Sebastien447
08-27-2004, 08:10 AM
I hate to repeat any of maddd's verbiage but they all really are mindless baseline ball-bashers

Caprifatty is the worst

shtexas
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Seb - As a Capriati fan, I am officially offended!

No...not really. I know she could and should be thinner. Especially, through the middle. It would really help her game if she got in better shape like Davenport, and Davenport was once much heavier. I shouldn't say this, but when Davenport was so heavy (and with the way her mouth frowns on court), my Dad used to say she looked like a manatee.

Am I going to get in trouble now?

shtexas
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Before I can sleep, I must apologize for that last post.

Kirkus
08-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I think Capriati is a little chunky monkey. That has to bring into question the commitment to her game. I always found it kinda sad to watch Seles struggle with her butter-belly. (She likes butter, you know.)

As far as the Ball-bashers go, I understand why some might not like it, but I seriously don't have a problem with it. What ever it takes to get the job done.

Gone are the days of what my wife calls "finesse tennis".

Sebastien447
08-27-2004, 11:54 PM
sorry but Capriati just bugs me

she has always rushed through her matches ... she doesn't give herself TIME to think out there even if she had the desire

Caprifati match strategy for all opponents:

backhand ... hit very hard
forehand ... hit even harder
volley ... only as a last resort
serve ... gimme the damn ball! I'm in a HURRY!
lose a point ... TRY to hit the ball harder
win a point ... attempt to intimidate with more power
after long rally ... go for baseline winner
tiebreak ... attempt to overpower opponent

OK, I think I've made my point ::)

shtexas
08-28-2004, 12:28 AM
I think that's a bit simplistic, but that "strategy" seemed to work for Graf (except she sliced her backhand) and Seles (except she hit equally hard off both sides). Did you ever see how quickly Graf served? She was just better at it.

But, I do agree Capriati should slow down and think. A lot of this is the result of the break in her career. During that time, she would have been evolving as a tennis player, but she was burned out and disinterested. When she got interested again, she was already 23, and just continued trying to play the way she did when she first joined the tour. At that time, her kind of power was rare. By '99, a lot of players possessed it and could handle the power.

Sebastien447
08-28-2004, 02:03 AM
point taken ... she just bugs me, always has

even back before her breakdown, as that little pixie bouncing around doing Lipton tea commercials with Evert

shtexas
08-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Graf could do almost anything she wanted if she chose to just do it. She just tended to stay back. Even on grass. Let's face it, on grass, if I could hit a big serve out wide that takes my opponent off the court (or slice them off the court with my backhand) and then hit my huge forehand into the open court, why come in unless I have to?

I know that is a bit simplistic because against the top players, she did have to do more. Certainly on clay, she had to do more. I used to criticize her relying on the slice backhand on clay, because I thought it sat up a bit more than on grass, but how can I argue with the results? She won the French 6 times and won a whole host of other clay court titles.

Moose
08-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Steffi was a WHOLE lot more than a forehand from the baseline. She was as athletic as they came at that time. She had more than her fair share of finesse shots in that arsenal. She was comfortable coming to net, and she was a champion on every possible surface.
Far as I am concerned, there is no debate that Steffi Graf was, and remains, the greatest female tennis player of all time. I thought Serena was going to give her a run for the money, but Serena's head is definitely not into being the all time greatest right now.

As far as JenJen is concerned, I consider it a tremendous amount of talent truly gone to waist, oops I mean waste. Jen had some beautiful strokes when she was younger, and now relies on the baseline too much. Stefano should have let some other folks into her coaching life and let her develop the talent that she had.