PDA

View Full Version : U.S Open Wish List

Moose
08-28-2004, 11:59 AM
1. That Mary Pierce has a solid run. I have always had a lotta love for Mary Mary. While I doubt she will ever regain the fitness level she had a few years back (being engaged to Alomar, and working with her brother seemed to have really centered her and let her play fit and healthy), I love a good run by Pierce in any tournament.

2. That Dinara Safina snaps out of whatever is ailing her and starts playing well again. She's defending 4th round points, and will likely be gone her 1st match, playing against Dementieva. She's been hurt for part of the season, but damn, what happened to her promise - she should be in the Sharapova-type spotlight.

3. That Robby Ginepri gets the night match in his first rounder against Agassi - since that is all we will see of him this year.

4. That Carlos Moya proves all the pundits wrong who say his head is not into winning Slams.

5. That Rafael Nadal puts up a good fight against Andy, and again, hopefully night tennis for him. Nadal has STAR written all over him, and is the next generation of the Armada.

6. That James Blake gets well soon.

7. That Francesca Schiavone beats Amelie for the 2nd time this season, and gets to another Open 1/4. I love Francesca's game. She is without a doubt the most talented player who has never won a tournament (sorry, Kourny).

8. That Lleyton wins the Open - so that we get 2 weeks of Kim in the stands shots, since that will be all the Kim we get til September 27 (hurry home Kim...the WTA isn't as much fun without you).

Kirkus
08-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I can't add a whole lot to that, except what I posted at ESPN...
1. That Roger "the thorn in my side" Federer steps in a hole and sprains his ankle (nothing serious, just bad enough to give Andy a chance to pass him in points.)

Now that that's out of the way.... I love a guy who has a picture of Kim to accompany his posts. I absolutely adore her. Excellent player, good sportsmanship, great personality, and she loves children!. What more could you ask for.

I also agree about Mary Pierce. I have my favorites, but I ALWAYS have to have "my #1 player". When Graf retired I latched on to Pierce. I don't know why, I just like her. But her game started to fail and Kimmy came along. Now she's my #1 female player. Roddick, of course, is my #1 male.

Moose
08-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Now that that's out of the way.... I love a guy who has a picture of Kim to accompany his posts. I absolutely adore her. Excellent player, good sportsmanship, great personality, and she loves children!. What more could you ask for..

Dang, another fan of Kimba. K, you mentioned everything that I love about her, only other item I can toss in is that she is also holistic. Ever hear the bee sting story from Indian Wells? She refused any "medication" opting for some herbal based topical to treat the sting. Apparantly, the WTA trainers have a new arsenal of treatments available to accomodate her, since she refuses most medications.
And by the way, she was rumoured to have expressed concern for the bee post-sting.

I also agree about Mary Pierce. I have my favorites, but I ALWAYS have to have "my #1 player". When Graf retired I latched on to Pierce. I don't know why, I just like her. But her game started to fail and Kimmy came along. Now she's my #1 female player.

Same pattern on favorites, except Arantxa was mine instead of Steffi. But I grew to love Graf.

Feech
08-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I very much hope that everyone behaves during this tournament because

"If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anybody."

Isn't that impressive how I figured out a way to work in a quote from my favorite movie?

Sorry to interrupt yuz fine posters

Kirkus
08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
The they would reroute the friggin jets for CRYING OUT LOUD! The only thing I can hear is the crew in the USA booth. Can't hear the crowd. Can't hear the ball bounce. Is this too much to ask?

Thank You!!!
They usually do reroute. I wonder if the Rebublican Nat'l Convention has something to do with it?

Moose
08-31-2004, 04:27 AM
ah, but Roadster, its always more fun to blame the RNC.
I'm trying to come up with a reason right now to pin Marat's flippin' dismal showing on the blasted Republicans. Gotta be some tie in to the fall of the evil Russian empire under Reagan and the 1st round fall of Marat at the US open, which appears to be only 2 or 3 games away as I type this.

Kirkus
08-31-2004, 09:23 AM
That Roddick gets beaten by Jenkins or Nadal. One of those nice kids deserves a big win.

I totally agree about Jenkins or Nadal. But I think their big win would be sooooo much bigger if they waited and took out the #1 player. A much bigger win than beating measly #2.
;)

Moose
08-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I want to add another:

That Marat flippin' Safin retires. He drives me insane. His game is a thing of beauty. He has so much talent. i always get excited about him come Slam time, figuring when its "showtime", he is gonna show up and remind those of us that love him exactly why we love him.
What a roller coaster ride through the Slams with him this year - from finals at the AO, to the round of 16 at RG, to first round byebyes at Wimby and the US.

Can anyone figure him out?

Kirkus
08-31-2004, 11:01 AM
I read an article not long ago (I want to say it was Tennis Magazine) and the take on Safin was that he didn't choke, didn't have "bad days"... that wasn't anything outside of his control that caused his ups and downs. But rather, it was choices that he made. He chooses to play or not. I kinda, sorta hope that isn't the case, but I half believe it.

How good would he be if he "showed up" at every match?

Kirkus
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Nadal would have to get through #2 in order to get a chance to beat #1, but I don't think having #1 loose would make a good fantasy tape for my collection!

LOL. I understand, PJ. It's also nice to make posts like mine above and not be berated for dissing someone elses favorite. :)