PDA

View Full Version : Zvonereva wheeee-ooohhhhh

Kirkus
09-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Talk about a basket case. :o :o :o

Sebastien447
09-05-2004, 12:23 PM
lordy lordy ... I don't remember witnessing a breakdown like that since my days in the juniors

laughing through clenched teeth on that one :o

tennis4you
09-05-2004, 12:27 PM
I have never seen anything like since I started playing tennis. She was in the middle of the set and started losing it. I have seen all kinds of people get mad before, but never start crying DURING play. A sight to behold I guess.

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Kirkus
09-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Seriously, she needs be monitored for the next 24 to 48. And for God's sake, put up all sharp objects. :o :o :o

Sebastien447
09-05-2004, 12:37 PM
true story

McEnroe, our beloved commentator tonight, was playing a tourney in the 12s ... was up a set but down in the second and missed an easy forehand, sat down in the middle of the court crying, wouldn't get up and was defaulted.

tennis4you
09-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Kinda a scarey story. Evidence? (No offense)

Sebastien447
09-05-2004, 12:44 PM
none taken ... I probably shouldn't have put the true story there because I could never "prove" it

my coach was the chair during the match ... used to tell the story all the time

that's all I got

tennis4you
09-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Nuff proof for me. I do not doubt that from a young player like that. But you would think champions like that would be a little more strong in the mental stability portion of the game. What tournament was it? if it was a big tournament I can see the reason for being upset, not crushed like that though. If it was indeed a big tournament I would be interested to hear what tournament your coach got to chair on. Sounds like fun, so he booted MacEnroe eh? hee

Kirkus
09-05-2004, 12:48 PM
During the Hewitt/Lopez match, John mentioned the one time he was defaulted. Must be the same.

Sebastien447
09-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, according to my coach, little Johnny just wouldn't get up so there wasn't anything else he could do ... I think it was the Easter Bowl

I don't doubt it happened at all though ... so many young kids play with a ton of pressure from parents, and they just can't bear facing Mom or Dad after the match. I've heard many a story about Mr. McEnroe.

My dubs partner in juniors had it rough with his Dad. My Dad was no picnic but I really felt bad for him. He was a bit crazy this guy. He was constantly partying and we all knew it was because of the pressure his Dad put on him. I saw some really really sad stuff growing up in tennis. And I doubt it's changed that much.

didgeridoo33
09-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Omg, you guys are so mean! I felt SO bad for Vera! :'(

Kirkus
09-05-2004, 01:56 PM
I don't know, Didge. Have you ever seen anything like that before. I think she's wound a little too tight. :)

Sebastien447
09-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Omg, you guys are so mean! I felt SO bad for Vera! :'(

I don't think any of us were trying to be mean but there could be some red flags here ... for an adult to have such an episode.

it's more understandable in the juniors when kids just aren't mature enough to deal with the pressures of competition

Kirkus
09-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Seriously, Sebers!

I got all worked up 2 weeks ago cuz I couldn't get a printer to work. I lost it. Totally lost it. >:(

But instead of crying or hitting my foot repeatedly (what's up with that?) I kicked the printer... really really hard. And broke my toe. (Literally. I have pictures if you wanna see).

Of course now I realize how stupid I am for picking on Zvonereva when I could be a little loopy myself. Hmmmmm.

didgeridoo33
09-06-2004, 12:52 AM
LOL! KIRK! Wouldn't you break the printer rather than your toe ???

Lol! :)

Kirkus
09-06-2004, 12:55 AM
LOL! KIRK! Wouldn't you break the printer rather than your toe ???

Lol! :)

That's what I thought :P

It's like the printer saw it coming and just hunkered down and grabbed a hold of the floor.

Sebastien447
09-06-2004, 01:30 AM
you guys are funny ... but IMHO an emotional episode like that in front of millions of people is a far cry from swearing to yourself at home

junior tennis horror ... these I guarantee true because they were my friends

One guy seemed to have a McEnroe episode nearly every match. He would sit down in the middle of the match in tears. He knew how far he could push it though, and as far as I can remember, never had a match DF ... his career was though, he was out of tennis at 16 y. o. ... he was really a nice guy but just couldn't take the pressure

My dubs partner, who I'll call "Jim" was drinking heavily by age 15. His father used to walk out on his matches if he started losing and I hated him for that. I saw some other things that might not technically have been physical child abuse, but it was big time mental abuse.

We were at junior davis cup once and the entire team was out at some bar ... the "coach" was allowing us to drink! I refused to have any (goody-goody at the time) and everyone else was just sipping except for Jim who got trashed. We roomed together and in the middle of the night I woke to find Jim urinating off the side of his bed. He made me swear never to tell anybody. The amazing thing was that he'd party like that, then go out and just shred people on court the next day. He absolutely amazed me. I never heard anything from him in the pros and I don't know where he is now ... I just hope he's OK.

Then there was a guy who I'll call "Tom" and his father was some kind of mechanic and had a pair of giant bolt cutting scissors. After one particular loss Tom's father just flipped, took all the rackets and snipped them into little pieces ... took Tom into the car and drove around screaming and throwing them out the window.

That was my Father's specialty. If I lost he would usually get me in the car alone, driving around in circles ... yelling, then calm, then yelling again ... quality time with Dad.

I'm not wanting to gross people out but I'm just saying that junior tennis can mess you up mentally. I think Vera may need professional help ... maybe not, but it sure looks that way.

Kirkus
09-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeouch, dude.

Some stories. I had no idea. I didn't get interested in the sport 'til much later in life. Tell me you can balance those with some postive junior experiences. ???

didgeridoo33
09-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Would your dad really yell at you if you lost??

Sebastien447
09-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Would your dad really yell at you if you lost??

He yelled. Dad was a good yeller. He thought I wasn't doing my best or something, and I admit that I tanked every once in a while ... but I just wanted to get the car ride over with and the tournament over with and be done with it.

But usually I was busting my gut out there and Dad just thought I could do better I guess.

Sebastien447
09-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Yeouch, dude.

Some stories. I had no idea. I didn't get interested in the sport 'til much later in life. Tell me you can balance those with some postive junior experiences. ???

I may be painting a dark picture of junior tennis but I don't believe my views have been tainted because of my Father. I knew a lot of guys who were messed up, didn't want to play, felt they owed it to their parents ... maybe as much as half the players who I knew personally.

Tennis is such a selfish sport. There were entire families who lived for just one kid. And it's a HUGE expense for parents. I can see how it would be difficult for them to just shrug off a loss and say "that's allright Johnny, you'll get em next time" after paying to travel across the country for some tournament.

All of this is my speaking about my own experiences in junior tennis 30 years ago. But at that time none of this crap was acknowledged. How many kids driving around in circles with their irate Fathers ever said anything about it? I never even considered it, even to my Mom ... because I thought my Dad was right. I didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I thought I deserved it.

It's a bit strange but there's a movie about chess that really nails this right on the head ... "Searching for Bobby Fisher" ... there's a part in that movie where the Father has his son out in a driving rain storm and he's just laying into the kid about a loss. It's really well done.

Most of the time I just remember being nervous and scared. The good times were with the friends I had ... ping-pong and backgammon on rainy days was my favorite, when it was really raining hard and we didn't have to worry at all about playing that day ... and we could just be kids. But no, I didn't really enjoy playing that much ... which is sad because I remember that I really loved playing tennis when I first started.

Kirkus
09-06-2004, 03:25 AM
You've opened my eyes to something I never really considered. I've heard stories like those coming from other sports -- ice skating comes to mind -- but for some reason never even considered it pertaining to tennis. I suppose most non-junior players wouldn't see it.

I kinda understand your example of the parents point of view, the cost and all, but then I have to ask, "who's the parent doing this for? themselves or the child?"

It's odd, and I have nothing to base this on, but I've always assumed that Richard Williams was a hard-ass when the WS were growing up. Maybe not... I don't know.

Anyway, for the child that has to be tough. Big-time tough. I can't even imagine.

Sebastien447
09-06-2004, 07:45 AM
eh, I think I still managed to turn out allright ... at least I like to think so anyway 8) ... the worst part of it all was how I hated this great sport for such a long time. My Dad is my Dad and you love people for who they are, not for who you want them to be.

and as for Richard ... he kept Venus and Serena away from junior tennis. They played almost no tourneys until the pros. And I honestly thought the man was crazy nuts. I didn't think it could work like that. Gotta give the guy credit ... still think he's crazy nuts, but gotta hand it to him