PDA

View Full Version : One more time (because I can)

Kirkus
09-08-2004, 01:58 PM
I want to say how impressed I was with Serena's class after the theft of ... er, uh, I mean after her match against Jennifer.

I can certainly understand why she might mention the word ---sssshhhhhh, conspiracy. I totally understand. And I'm not ready to disagree with her.

As for "not blaming Jennifer", I don't. But I sure as hell respect her a little less than I did. You can't convince me that she didn't see the ball and knew, KNEW she was given a point she didn't deserve. What guts it would have taken to tell the chair, "you're wrong". Say what you want about how it's just a part of the game. No one is expected to do it. It's not their job to watch the lines. Bullshit! Just because you say it's right doesn't make it right.

Just one more example of how modern athletes are slowly taking sportsmanship out of sports. (or, if you prefer, it's all about winning.)

Kirkus
09-09-2004, 02:35 AM
I don't mean to say that every close call should be considered by the players. Not at all. (I didn't get that across in my posts. My bad.) In fact I can only think of 3 instances in the past few years that I think might have been so obvious as to warrent a little "fair play". The other night, obviously. The first serve that Serena should have had at the French when Justine clearly put her hand up (but didn't fess up). And at Wimbledon when Sprem got a point on a faulted first serve.

It's unfortunate, but I think your observation about the word "conspiracy" being used because the WS are Black athletes is probably correct.

But, at the same time, the three incidents I mentioned do involve the WS. It's an international game with international officiants and international players. And there is bias and yes, even racism the world over. So I don't think it's too far-fetched to consider such a thing.

Kirkus
09-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Regarding the bias/conspiracy issue.....I wish that those making that claim against the chair ump would then cut Hewitt some slack for having said he thought a linesman was bias. Bias doesn't only go against Blacks.

You're absolutely right, PJ. There's the story of an Iranian Wrestler who refused to attend the Athen Olympics because his first match would have been against an Israeli.

Hell, I've been accused on TOB of being a racist when in fact I'm so the opposite! The whole issue is just way screwed up. Yarrgh!

shtexas
09-09-2004, 07:10 AM
I agree with PJVA that it would have been nice if Jen had given Serena the point, but I don't expect it of any of the players. I don't think Jen has anything to be defensive about, except maybe her interview where she said she didn't see the ball. But, she was put on the spot.

Serena had an interesting quote which I paraphrase because I am too lazy to go find it again. She said Jennifer had a good day umpire-wise, when she usually has bad ones. I think that implies that Serena realizes Capriati has been hooked in the past.

Sebastien447
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
bunch a whimpy pansy asses giving points away

Pansy Ass: "Oh my, that call seems to have erroneously gone in my favor ... you can have the point."

Pansy Ass's Opponent: "I wouldn't think of taking that point. The ball was quite close really."

Pansy Ass: "I really couldn't live with myself if I were to take that point."

Pansy Ass's Opponent: "Well, allright then ... but as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to give YOU a point.

TENNIS FANS: *group vomitus*

Kirkus
09-09-2004, 11:27 AM
LMAO!

You got a fine way with words, my friend. Damn that's funny!

Sebastien447
09-09-2004, 12:16 PM
thanks, you know me just a big goofball having fun ;D

and always ready to stick it to the pansy asses 8)