PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Joachim!!

didgeridoo33
09-11-2004, 12:07 AM
In my opinion, Andy was beaten by the better tennis player. He fought back hard, and in the end, he came up short. Lets give credit where credit is due.

This was definitely a wake up call. I think Andy's going to come back from this in a big way. It's clear from his post-match statements that he's not happy, and he is hungrier now more than ever. Andy's going to be working hard to avenge this loss.

Commentators are astounded by how good he can be, and how great he will become. I have a feeling we are in for a great couple years ahead, watching Andy take his game to an even higher level. Andy will be back soon, even bigger and stronger than ever, and I think the whole tennis world better take notice.

Thank you, Johannson! You just awoke a sleeping giant!

^ Some one else from another message board wrote that, and I TOTALLY agree with it. It makes me feel a LOT better about Andy's loss, and hopefully he will come in with a bang at the AO. I got goosebumps reading that last sentence! LOL, I'm a loser :)

Kirkus
09-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Loser? Pshya!

I just hope your right. After 4 years as a pro, almost half of them with one of the sports best coaches, he still worries too much about things other than his game when he's on the court.

Of course nobody can know what's going on, if anything, with him. This is just how I see it.

I hope he kicks major ass in Houston and any other tournaments he plays between now and then, and, like you said, Didge, that he comes out in 2005 ready to be the champion he can be.

ps-I still hope Roger steps in a hole and sprains his ankle. ;)

Sebastien447
09-11-2004, 03:39 AM
He still has a long way to go with his mental approach to the game. It's like kirk said earlier, he seemed the player of a couple years ago ... just a lack of focus upon the task at hand.

Roddick lost the first two sets because the Swede played the big points better, plain and simple. Andy knew that, and he knew if he stepped it up and imposed his game, the match was his.

But in the fifth he was letting everything bother him. He lost focus completely and it was like some of those matches that he used to lose a couple years ago, when we'd all say the guy needs to mature mentally. It's a tough loss sure, but like didge said ... if he LEARNS from it, he can turn a negative into a positive.

Kirkus
09-11-2004, 06:01 AM
In what way would Roddick improve his game do you think?

I have thought for a while that he is too caught up in trying to break serving records and mainly just keep serving in the 140's. Is the media partly to blame for constanlty talking about that? Then there are some fans in the stands who seem to like just sitting there waiting to read the speed gun. They cheer those high speeds.....but they don't seem to care about watching quality rallies. What's up with that? Does that only happen in America? Personally I find a servathon boring to watch.
I don't think you can blame the media or anyone else for that matter. Andy's the one with the racket and ultimately the buck stops with him.

What can he do to improve his game? I think any improvement needs to start upstairs. Maybe he's satisfied with holding the record for fastest serve. It wouldn't be the first time we were fed all the hype about a player who never lived up to it. I've often thought maybe his loss to Roger at Wimbledon affected his motivation. Obviously being #2, if you took Federer out of the picture, Andy would be the great white hope that everyone thinks he should be.