PDA

View Full Version : The bottom line is this

Kirkus
09-08-2004, 01:46 PM
For whatever reason -- bias, conspiracy, mistake, blindness -- Mariana Alves has no business ever sitting in an umpires chair again. She obviously can no longer do the job. How she cannot make some kind of statement to the media after a full day of replay after replay just boggles my mind. Maybe not an apology, but something, anything.

Her shadow should never again darken a tennis court.

Kirkus
09-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Serena even said that the call didn't lose the match for her. In her post match interview she said she felt she had her chances in the 2nd set to put it away and didn't. I mean can one bad call really change a match. I don't know.

I don't think the other bad calls when Jen was serving for the match would have been nearly as troublesome had that first appalling bad call not been made.

Sebastien447
09-11-2004, 03:24 AM
if it was just the one call, horrendous as it was, no big deal ... but that call, in combination with the three overlooked calls as Cap was serving for the match ... that's match-altering stuff. Serena knows better than to say as much in public, so quoting her is meaningless.

I'm like you PJVA, would love to hear Mariana do a press conference and take some questions. Won't happen though.

And rest assured kirk ... Mariana is through. That match will end her career. Just like the McEnroe/Nastase debacle of 79 ended Frank Hammond's days in the chair.

Kirkus
09-12-2004, 06:28 AM
She's from Portugal and I heard Traci say she was a veteran umpire.