PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo at 1

Betsmoyo
09-15-2004, 04:51 AM
I dont mind slamless #1s as long as they really deserve it. Kim when she got 1 she had played in and won just about every tourney she could. She deserved it she really worked hard and got the points. Mauresmo didnt work nearly as hard as Kim did when she got 1. Amelie won 1 tourney this summer in the USO Series (Rogers Cup) im not sure if that was the one that wasnt in the series or not but she won it and got silver in Athens. but hinestly i dont think she should be 1. Lindsay should, im not being biased look at the facts she won how many tourneys over the summer semis at Wimby and USO....but its the way the numbers turn out. Its a messed up system. But both players were announced to be qualified for the WTA Championships later in the year.

gernaserna
09-15-2004, 05:39 AM
You are right Betsmoyo: The point system is screwed up and has been for quite sometime on both the WTA & ATP.
Many players have had the dubious discintion of being the #1 player in the world without having won a major. The two men I can recall of were Iavn Lendl & Marcelo Rios. They like Lindsay, did win a crap load of tournaments in a particular year and zipped right to #1. When Lendl did it. I believe he won the year end Master's Tournament to go with his many other titles. Marcelo may have done the same but as time goes on I may be wrong. We all know Mauresmo accomplished it now but as I sit here trying to pick my brain no other women come to mind. If anyone knows fill me in...please.

Gerna

Betsmoyo
09-15-2004, 06:07 AM
I think that Mauresmo could be great but she is a notorious choker. She just cant do it it seems. Shes seeing a sports psych. but i really would like to see her win just one. I dont like her much but i feel bad for her, she loses in every major in the later rounds, just cant win and poor girl had trouble with her family and parents. I would like to see her win one thaqt would melt away a lot of pressure.

Betsmoyo
09-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Thats a good observation. Justine should be able to get her way back up near the top and Kim definately at the top or right by it. I think that a ruskie will get up there too. Probably Kuzy or Petrova they both are very good and Petrova serves and volleys more they both seem to have the mental edge over the other russians. Masha just doesnt seem quite ready to claim number 1 in time possibly but not now.